Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
It's a parent's nightmare: two young boys outdoors all day without sunscreen while at day care.

Now, they are recovering from severe sunburns at a burn center in Galveston.

Doctors say the sunburns are so bad they could've been life threatening had these kids not been airlifted to Shriner's Hospital in Galveston.

And now, their mother is sharing cell phone video and images of her children in agonizing pain as a warning to other parents.

"You gotta lay down, though, OK. I can't, I can't, I can't. Yes you can, you just take a deep breath and lay down OK?" Shaunna Broadway tells her son in the video.

She says the day care she trusted in their home state of Oklahoma put her sons in danger by taking them to a local waterpark and letting them play outside almost all day with no sunscreen.

"There's no excuse for this," Broadway said in a phone interview.

When the burns began to blister, the kids were airlifted to Galveston. Much of the images of their injuries are far too graphic to show especially for 7-year-old Conner, who is red headed and more fair skinned than his younger brother.

In one image, Connor's back looks red raw and covered in white sores with a large abscess on his back.

The mom says day care workers claimed they ran out of sunscreen and told the kids to put their shirts back on, but the boys didn't want to.

"Whether it was intentional or not, they were supposed to take care of them and they did not and that's the bottom line," Broadway said.

The children will remain at Shriner's until they are stable enough to go home to Oklahoma and that may take some time.

"It's the well-being of my kids and seeing them in pain, I just want them back to normal, you know?" said their single mom from her sons' bedsides.

Doctors suggest always applying sunscreen on your child at the beginning of each day and to look for sunscreens with SPF 15 or higher.

Doctors also recommend that children, especially toddlers to pre-school age, stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in the heat of the summer.

The mother of these boys has filed a report with the local police department and is in the process of finding an attorney.

She urges parents to really do their research when finding a day care.

The day care in question, Happiness is a Learning Center, shut down permanently after the state launched an investigation, according to KOTV.

Authorities in Oklahoma have cited the daycare for infractions 19 times in the last year, mainly for staffing issues – not neglect or abuse.

OMG

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Always force the issue and take them back to the daycare facility. Or go make a skin cream run. Never let a situation like that go. EVER!

Kawaii Shoujo

This is just my opinion but if you ask me, one of the workers should have went to purchase more sunscreen when they noticed they had run out, as for those boys the workers should have put their shirts back on them despite their not wanting to, and despite their young ages the boys parents should have taught them the dangers of getting burned due to not wearing sunblock and to listen/obey their minders.

Philosophizing Otaku

16,150 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Falling For You 25
That is very heartbreaking, but I would NEVER let it get that far.

For one, if I was the mom I would have the boys put on sunblock BEFORE they go to the daycare.

Then, if I was one of the staff I would have bought another thing of sunblock so that they wouldn't end up how they did.

Neglectful people create stuff like this....I'm not blaming the parents, but I am blaming the staff for not taking something like this as seriously as they should have. I'm surprised the daycare hasn't burned to the ground already, or something equally worse happened before this.

Sorry, but things like this get me emotional as I have a 4-5 year old cousin plus I used to help younger disabled kids when I was in middle school. redface

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
fairy-phoenix
This is just my opinion but if you ask me, one of the workers should have went to purchase more sunscreen when they noticed they had run out, as for those boys the workers should have put their shirts back on them despite their not wanting to, and despite their young ages the boys parents should have taught them the dangers of getting burned due to not wearing sunblock and to listen/obey their minders.

We live in a damned if you do damned if you don't society. Most places wont provide sunscreen fearing that of the kids have a negative response they will be sued. Parents need to supply a full tube and likely have to sign some type of waiver approving the staff to apply the sunscreen to their child. It's a crazy world.
Another day care mishap? Maybe parents should come back to raising their own children instead of risking them with surrogates?

Familiar Raccoon

12,200 Points
  • Super Fan 250
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
Malee
fairy-phoenix

We live in a damned if you do damned if you don't society. Most places wont provide sunscreen fearing that of the kids have a negative response they will be sued. Parents need to supply a full tube and likely have to sign some type of waiver approving the staff to apply the sunscreen to their child. It's a crazy world.

But that wasn't the situation here. If the daycare told parents that they did not provide sunscreen, that's one thing. But the daycare obviously provided some because they ran out, meaning they must have had some in the first place. It might have been reasonable to let the boys continue if they were only going to be out for a couple hours, but for the whole day? They either had to leave or someone had to go buy more sunscreen. End of story. There is no good reason why anyone should be hospitalised for sunburns.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
fairy-phoenix

But that wasn't the situation here. If the daycare told parents that they did not provide sunscreen, that's one thing. But the daycare obviously provided some because they ran out, meaning they must have had some in the first place. It might have been reasonable to let the boys continue if they were only going to be out for a couple hours, but for the whole day? They either had to leave or someone had to go buy more sunscreen. End of story. There is no good reason why anyone should be hospitalised for sunburns.

If the daycare ran out why didn't any of the other children suffer severe sunburns? Did they put on their shirts or did their parents provide sunscreen, in which case they wouldn't be using the supply the daycare was using so there should have been plenty for all kids. We just don't know the policy of the daycare when it comes to providing sunscreen.

Familiar Raccoon

12,200 Points
  • Super Fan 250
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
Malee
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
fairy-phoenix

If the daycare ran out why didn't any of the other children suffer severe sunburns? Did they put on their shirts or did their parents provide sunscreen, in which case they wouldn't be using the supply the daycare was using so there should have been plenty for all kids. We just don't know the policy of the daycare when it comes to providing sunscreen.

The post said that they ran out. That means they had enough for some and at some point they no longer had enough. It is possible that the two boys were the only ones who did not get sunscreen. And we know that they must have at least offered to provide sunscreen or they would not have ran out because they would not have had sunscreen in the first place, which means they could not have run out.
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
fairy-phoenix

The post said that they ran out. That means they had enough for some and at some point they no longer had enough. It is possible that the two boys were the only ones who did not get sunscreen. And we know that they must have at least offered to provide sunscreen or they would not have ran out because they would not have had sunscreen in the first place, which means they could not have run out.
huh?

Familiar Raccoon

12,200 Points
  • Super Fan 250
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
16James16
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
fairy-phoenix

huh?

I'll break it down. Let's start with whether or not we know the daycare's sunscreen policy.

1. The original post says the daycare ran out of sunscreen.
2. To run out of something, one must first have some of it.
3. Because the daycare ran out of sunscreen, we know that the daycare had sunscreen at some point.
4. If the daycare had sunscreen, it means they usually provide sunscreen.
5. If the daycare usually provides sunscreen, it means that parents are not expected to bring the sunscreen.
6. If parents are not expected to bring the sunscreen, and the daycare has sunscreen, then it follows logically that the daycare's policy is to provide sunscreen.

Now let's look at whether or not a situation in which only the two boys did not get sunscreen is reasonable.

1. We know that the daycare at least offers to provide sunscreen.
2. We know that sunscreen is a finite product.
3. Being a finite product, we know that sunscreen can run out, but we cannot always predict when.
4. Given that finite products run out whenever they are used to capacity, how many people do or do not get sunscreen has no relation to whether or not the situation makes sense.
5. If there are, let's say, twenty kids (because we do not know the whole number), and eighteen get sunscreen before the bottle runs out, then eighteen kids are protected and two have no sunscreen.
6. The two without sunscreen can be any two kids, provided there is no set order for who gets sunscreen (let's assume there isn't, because that would be abnormal).
7. It is entirely possible that every kid, except for the two boys, got sunscreen.

And from all of this we can assume that we have a fairly accurate picture of what was going on. I'm not sure how, given what we know and what we can figure out based on logic, the incident was at all excusable.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Pink_Frosting5
16James16
Pink_Frosting5
Malee
Pink_Frosting5

huh?

I'll break it down. Let's start with whether or not we know the daycare's sunscreen policy.

1. The original post says the daycare ran out of sunscreen.
2. To run out of something, one must first have some of it.
3. Because the daycare ran out of sunscreen, we know that the daycare had sunscreen at some point.
4. If the daycare had sunscreen, it means they usually provide sunscreen.
5. If the daycare usually provides sunscreen, it means that parents are not expected to bring the sunscreen.
6. If parents are not expected to bring the sunscreen, and the daycare has sunscreen, then it follows logically that the daycare's policy is to provide sunscreen.

Now let's look at whether or not a situation in which only the two boys did not get sunscreen is reasonable.

1. We know that the daycare at least offers to provide sunscreen.
2. We know that sunscreen is a finite product.
3. Being a finite product, we know that sunscreen can run out, but we cannot always predict when.
4. Given that finite products run out whenever they are used to capacity, how many people do or do not get sunscreen has no relation to whether or not the situation makes sense.
5. If there are, let's say, twenty kids (because we do not know the whole number), and eighteen get sunscreen before the bottle runs out, then eighteen kids are protected and two have no sunscreen.
6. The two without sunscreen can be any two kids, provided there is no set order for who gets sunscreen (let's assume there isn't, because that would be abnormal).
7. It is entirely possible that every kid, except for the two boys, got sunscreen.

And from all of this we can assume that we have a fairly accurate picture of what was going on. I'm not sure how, given what we know and what we can figure out based on logic, the incident was at all excusable.

There is a flaw in your reasoning. In order for the boys to get second- and third-degree sunburns, they would have to be outside for hours. Sunscreen has to be reapplies (depending on what you're doing, what kind you're using, etc) and in some cases it has to be reapplied every three hours. Even with sunscreen on, one can burn. I'm proof. I find it very strange that a daycare would be outside for hours after running out of sunscreen, knowing that two kids didn't get any on, and not do anything.

What I think is they, as many daycare centers that I went to in my youth or my friends' children go to now, had the parents supply the sunscreen and the two burned kids had their personal ones run out. Due to allergies, the daycare isn't allowed to buy more sunscreen. This has been the procedure since I was a kid back in the dark ages.

True story, I had second-degree sunburns when I was seven (same age as one of those boys). My family just moved from Germany to Florida (dad was Air Force). My parents tried to protect my sister and I, but the sunscreen wore off and we never put more on. As a result, we two fair-skinned little girls had second-degree sunburns. It can happen. I also developed an allergy to some sunscreens later in life, breaking out in hives if I wore the wrong kind.

What I find odd is that only two kids got burned. And did I read right that these boys are brothers? That right there makes my "parents provide sunscreen because of fear of allergies" theory a bit more to the mark. That is just really suspicious that the only two kids with any burns were siblings.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff