Welcome to Gaia! ::

Albuquerque firefighter hangs up on 911 caller as teen dies
the audio clip and a video are here

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – An Albuquerque firefighter could be in trouble for what he said to a 911 caller after a 17-year-old was shot at a party. The firefighter then proceeded to hang up on the caller as Jaydon Chavez-Silver was dying.

Chavez-Silver was shot and killed during a party in the Heights back on June 26. He had only been there for five minutes when someone started shooting at the home. During the 911 call, frantic attempts to save the Manzano High School student’s life are audible in the background.

Albuquerque Fire Department says the firefighter on the line is Driver Matthew Sanchez, who was working in the dispatch center that night. He repeatedly asks if Jaydon is breathing, but when the caller gets annoyed with the questions and snaps at Sanchez, the firefighter tells her she’s on her own and hangs up on her.

Here is the 911 call.

911 Call:
(To protect patient privacy, portions of the 911 recording had to be redacted. The redaction is for the first 2:54. AFD units were dispatched prior to the disconnect.)

911 caller: “I’m doing CPR as we speak. I’m keeping him alive.”

Dispatcher Matthew Sanchez: “Okay, is he not breathing?”

911 caller: “Barely” (inaudible) “Stay with him” (inaudible) “Stay with him, good job. Just stay with me, okay, okay. There you go. Good job Jaydon.”

Sanchez: “Is he breathing?”

911 caller: “He’s barely breathing. How many times do I have to f***ing tell you?”

Sanchez: “Ok, you know what ma’am, you could deal with it yourself. I’m not gonna deal with this, okay?”

911 caller: “No” (inaudible).

Albuquerque Fire Chief David Downey released the following statement:

“After learning of the alleged misconduct, Driver Matthew Sanchez was immediately removed from the dispatch center and placed on administrative assignment. An internal investigation has been initiated. As the Chief of the department, I am taking the allegation very seriously.”

Jaydon’s mother heard the call shortly after it was released to KRQE. She says she’s heartbroken by the way the firefighter acted on that 911 call.

“They’re beyond belief about what happened,” said Dan Sparago, a spokesperson for the family. “But at the same time they want to focus on [catching] the people who did this.”

His family is asking anyone with information to come forward and they say a reward fund has been set up at Bank of the West.

“They have complete confidence in the Albuquerque Police Department and they’re sure that the detectives are doing all they can to find the people who did this,” Sparago said.

~~~~
I am so disappointed and angry about this. If there's a lawsuit he will lose.

Kawaii Shoujo

What the hell is with these callers? Hanging up when help is truly needed?

Wintry Dragon

My. He's a sensitive one, isn't he?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
What is it with 911 operators being so terribly offended by off-colour language anymore?

I mean, a 911 operator is by the nature of the occupation talking to people at their worst. Nobody calls 911 when things are going peachy ( unless they're a small child that doesn't know better, anyways ), so shouldn't they rather expect people to be tetchy, excited, irritable and probably more prone to foul language than people who're, y'know, not currently in the middle of a Goddamn emergency?

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jesus ******** some people shouldn't be emergency personnel.
I'm sure you use that language too, Mr. Firefighter. Good luck getting another job, you dickwagon.

Blessed Friend

Good lord, if they can't handle people under distress who let it out in different forms, they shouldn't not be a 911 operator. At all.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Yuh, hey. If I was constantly being asked if :"he was still breathing" while not even having heard "we are sending help", I would be pretty ef-ing pissed and be pretty ef-ing swearing all up and down too. What the ef is it with people like this nut-job being "is so offended" that I was so ef-ing ef-ed up because I am so ef-eing upset that somebody is DYING right there in front of me that they gotta be rude and uncaring and hang up like that? WHERE IS THE GODDAM EF-ING AMBULANCE AND EMTS?! THAT WOULD BE ALL WOULD CARE ABOUT!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff