Welcome to Gaia! ::

18,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
When Gaia first started making hidden poses it was small things like objects appearing in the avatar's hands based on the hand's position (I could be wrong about this).

And then Gaia started making other hidden poses for items that were not held, but instead were shown on the avatar in a different way, such as hair mods (Sainte Ciel: Eros's ring pose), face mods (the eyes from Rookie's Pursuit) and now we're at Backgrounds being given this treatment... and I have to say, that as person who likes using both backgrounds and arm mods... it's kind of ruining certain backgrounds for me either fully or making them really not easy to use...

The first of these was Raven's Wood Manor, the Background poses and the eyes had hidden poses. The hidden pose for the eyes could only be unlocked by the avatar facing to the right, similarly the pose "family graveyard" also changed on the same mechanic. The full background in the item became bloody or not depending if the avatar was facing forward or backwards and the only background pose that changed according to the position of the hands was the bloody writing, and the change was dependant only on the position of the avatar's right hand.

Now we've gotten two new backgrounds, the Library one from Promising Pupil and the one from the newest item Crane Warrior.

And I for one adore them both and would use them a whole lot... if it weren't for the flying books and blood that appear when using certain arm mods (oh how I curse the fact that the arms without the envelope in the Valentine items is not the one with the hands down...). The books only appear if the avatar's right hand is in a certain position while the Crane Warrior background changes to it's hidden pose with every single arm pose that is not both hands being down.

Hidden poses are nice and all, but I dislike these two because they make the backgrounds far more gimmicky, niche and hard to use if you're not going for a very specific avatar where the flying books and blood would be perfectly normal to have around... But the most annoying part about these two is that the hidden poses would have worked just fine as stand alone poses instead of hidden background poses that would potentially ruin the background for certain avatars...

Backgrounds can be harder to match color wise and theme wise to an avatar then other items to begin with, so giving them hidden poses that would only make sense on certain themes seems to be, at least for the time being, not the most productive thing to do seeing as we don't really have a lot of backgrounds for certain themes and colors.

At this point I would like to apologize for my ranting and come back to my question:

Hidden poses - Yay or Nay?

1. Has an item or pose ever become unusable for you because of it's hidden pose?

2. How do you think hidden poses should be revealed? Via arm position or avatar position, or perhaps via a combination of items (honestly I think I'd prefer the 3rd option)?

3. Do you wish some hidden poses were stand alone items only and not hidden poses?

4. What do you think were some well executed hidden poses that should stay as hidden poses? Which weren't?

5. Do you hope there will be more hidden poses in items in the future, yes or no? And which kind yes or no? Handheld objects, hairmods, facemods, backgrounds, other?

And that would be all the questions I can think of that are relevant to this topic.

Demonic Lover

I'm going to go against most of the GCD and say I find hidden poses annoying about 99% of the time :C

Why?, because instead of going "oh cool, wow, fun" when I see one, I'm either in one of two camps:

1) I find the hidden part useless or annoying in some way, let's say I dislike the magic books in the Promising Pupil background (wich I don't but let's use them as an example lol) now I have to deal with those if I want my avi reading a normal book or just using a different hand pose, or

2) I like the hidden part, I just hate having to go through hoops to get it, 'kay those books are real awesome, but I don't like the background, what the hell am I supposed to do now?, it just sucks!

There's no winning for me with "hidden" poses :C most of the time I wish they were separated, that way I'd get to play with both parts...

It's like face mods, cool lips?, cool eyes? that's amazing, if separated, and utterly useless if forced together, at least for me.

I love the Lovely Lucie lips (they are almost the same as the Hollywood ones, but those pixels make a difference to me) yet the fact that there's a mole and eyeshadow makes the makeup useless to me :C and it's like recent piercing poses, we get a bunch together and while I might like one or two, I'd never wear all of those at the same time DX

Alien Elder

27,440 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Candy Massacre 50
xd The welcome for hidden poses just fades fast for me. I like a blown off skull, I like blood spatter on the wall written like a threat, I don't like them always in the same pose together (Crown pose in Antipathy)

xp It's a crimp in one's creativity in all honesty. Bottom line: Curse

Devoted Seeker

22,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
Some hidden poses are pretty cool, while others are just a pain. A while back, I acquired a Monsieur Cherry Macaron for cheap and wanted to make a faux-gentleman avatar using it. Well, the coat for the Monsieur Macaron line has several hidden arm poses, and I didn't know this beforehand. I almost started headdesking when I realized it, because not only did that severely limit the holdables that I could use with it, using the hidden poses makes anything layered over it disappear and I'd layered a cape over it. I eventually made it work, but it was just more trouble than it ended up being worth.

Toxic Trickster

Curse, i wanted to use blood from Modus operandi, but when crouching with the avi, a helmet appears on the ground sad that won't do

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

Ehh I'm half and half. Some are pretty nice but others (mostly hidden face-related poses) I don't. The item related hidden poses I like because it adds a bit more to the theme. Face ones I don't really like too much because sometimes it layers odd with my usual face ones.

Though, one gripe I have about all of them in general is yeah the hoops I have to go through to get it. Because I use arm mods....a lot and some don't play nice with it and bump each other off. Others since with the skin tone based arm mods I use the default so to even use the hidden pose I'd have to change into one of the other skin tones for the arm mods and that doesn't look bueno.

And then there's the backwards ones. I rarely have backwards avis and when I do, my long hair in most of them obscure the hidden pose making it moot to use the hidden pose in the first place.

User Image

Tiny Shapeshifter

While I do understand the fact that hidden poses started with arm positions in the beginning (and the kneeling positions too for some of the earlier items), I do find it strange for arm positions to affect background poses. Or things changing depending on which side of the page your avatar is facing. If Gaia could just create another item that can unlock a certain layer of whatever item (Saint Ciel Scissor pose for backgrounds instead, as an example), we wouldn't be encountering so much inconveniences in avatar making.

Sparkly Cupcake

It can be both for me, some face mods for example remove mouths and just leave an empty face, some remove limbs, the only thing that always bothers me is how some skin mods show legs when you have a leg mod on and then have a shadowy leg ghosting around.

18,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Yen Quest
While I do understand the fact that hidden poses started with arm positions in the beginning (and the kneeling positions too for some of the earlier items), I do find it strange for arm positions to affect background poses. Or things changing depending on which side of the page your avatar is facing. If Gaia could just create another item that can unlock a certain layer of whatever item (Saint Ciel Scissor pose for backgrounds instead, as an example), we wouldn't be encountering so much inconveniences in avatar making.

It would be magnificent if something like this were to happen, or an item that would hide the hidden poses themselves.

Stellar Succubus

More often than not, I find them irritating.

Hair mods with clips/cut poses are great, but only because I have the items to cause those poses. It'd be kinda irritating to know I owned an item that had a potential pose that I cannot use because I don't own the other item that makes the pose happen.

Celestial Shapeshifter

1. Has an item or pose ever become unusable for you because of it's hidden pose?

Plenty of times and it's an item I want to use all the time.

2. How do you think hidden poses should be revealed? Via arm position or avatar position, or perhaps via a combination of items (honestly I think I'd prefer the 3rd option)?

I don't want them attached to arms anymore cause frankly it crimps my ability to use a ton of stuff.

3. Do you wish some hidden poses were stand alone items only and not hidden poses?

Yes because it interferes with other items.

4. What do you think were some well executed hidden poses that should stay as hidden poses? Which weren't?

Kinda mixed about the one I want to use a lot. I want it to stay hidden but don't want it arm based.

5. Do you hope there will be more hidden poses in items in the future, yes or no? And which kind yes or no? Handheld objects, hairmods, facemods, backgrounds, other?

I don't mind as long as it's not arm pose based.

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
I adore them, but I can see how they would be problematic. Azure Guidance has a lovey pose without the eyes were you are holding a floating shimmering gem. Love that pose. The other three, not so much. The Lunar cake rabbit bag with the hidden pose with the bunny looks adorable. I also like that there is a pose with the Vault series that the gem glows, but only one pose does this (hint, both arms up). The Ania Wedding gown hidden pose is annoying because it makes using arm mods useless. Also the hidden pose on the new zFR item looks really cool with the crowns, however there is no scissors or item that manipulates off the jacket. So you have to wear the crown with the jacket. xP Also the Adolescent Farnir "hey you pose" is cute when you sit down, he smiles instead. I could go on and on but when you find one you like, it's fun.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Areishia_01
It would be magnificent if something like this were to happen, or an item that would hide the hidden poses themselves.
Hm, I don't know if it's possible to create a code/item that'll cancel out another item. I mean, most items are coded in a way where things turns on if a certain criteria is met (like computer coding, if a url link has been clicked, then it'll change color). That's why you sometime find Agape Scissors overriding Sketcbhook's effects when you use both of them together, especially when it comes to old items. Imo, the sooner Gaia implements the new Scissors for backgrounds, the better. That way, they could place down the necessary coding right when they release hidden background poses. :0

Fashionable Nerd

It is a curse for me! The novelty wore off fast once the hidden pose
    for the right or left facing avatar struck. I don't like that at all. It has
    the potential to completely throw off the look I was trying to achieve.

Some hidden poses are fine but for the most part, if I accidentally
    stumble across one, I decide not to use the item and look for an
    alternative. If it has to do with holding an item a certain way I more
    than likely don't like the way one has to hold the item in order for
    the hidden pose to appear. I am picky and don't like the way my
    avatar's hands look sometimes.. XD

Peaceful Lunatic

I like hidden poses when it's like the lamb in Antique Pierrot: a nice surprise that chosen by picking the last option with the arm mod pose. That way, I can pick it myself easily. It gets annoying when it's like the arm mod in Promising Pupil, where there's the arm mod without options and I have to fiddle with the arm poses until I get the one I want. Even worse, I already have three items very similar to its default pose, but I don't have other items for Promising Pupil's other options and I'm afraid I'll forget that it's there.

Backgrounds with secret poses an be annoying too. However, I like a bit of challenge in avatar making and I often pick an item/pose to build an avatar around. So secret poses are really nice for that when they're the initial choice, not so much when they surprise me by interfering with the rest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff