Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't really mean that in a literal sense, rather...Why is it so dead? Where is the drive to keep an interesting, entertaining rp going? Everything is rather dead..Slow..Hell Back in the day when you created an rp, or even sent a profile for one you'd hear back from the creator, or applier (Which ever side you were on) in the same day...Now its just...Gone. Im not entirely new to gaia I've been a member since 2007 maybe 2008 I just had to make a new profile due to forgetting passwords...But its kinda sad.

Magic Hobo

well personally I quit RPing on here because a couple years back gaia made a series of questionable choices involving the forums, locking old threads after some inexcusably short period of inactivity among them

combine this with the solid brick wall of refusal to do anything even remotely like updating guilds and a few really scary archive reliability issues with threads, the site itself is inherently mechanically really unfriendly to roleplay, the staff is blatantly out of touch with the RPer community and what they want/need from a site-

essentially I quit rping on gaia because they made it more appealing to use google docs and ******** skype.
Catena Carswell
well personally I quit RPing on here because a couple years back gaia made a series of questionable choices involving the forums, locking old threads after some inexcusably short period of inactivity among them

combine this with the solid brick wall of refusal to do anything even remotely like updating guilds and a few really scary archive reliability issues with threads, the site itself is inherently mechanically really unfriendly to roleplay, the staff is blatantly out of touch with the RPer community and what they want/need from a site-

essentially I quit rping on gaia because they made it more appealing to use google docs and ******** skype.

Eh I see >.< I just miss the finding something here. Like a good Rp with potential for a kickass story. I cant see how you'd find something like that on google docs

Revered Master

25,065 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Cosmic Healer 200
I've just come back from a two year hiatus myself and had no idea that was going on nor did my friend who was still on here whilst I was gone mentioned anything about that. As far as I could tell from looking at least on the main page of Barton Town it looked like people are still rping. Is it more like the rps seem to be of all the same type do you mean? Cause like I can totally see that. Even before my hiatus, there seemed to be an overabundance of the arranged marriage variety rp and the walk in type. I actually have been working on making an rp myself but if no one is rping here really anymore that would render it pointless.
Katara daughter of Water
I've just come back from a two year hiatus myself and had no idea that was going on nor did my friend who was still on here whilst I was gone mentioned anything about that. As far as I could tell from looking at least on the main page of Barton Town it looked like people are still rping. Is it more like the rps seem to be of all the same type do you mean? Cause like I can totally see that. Even before my hiatus, there seemed to be an overabundance of the arranged marriage variety rp and the walk in type. I actually have been working on making an rp myself but if no one is rping here really anymore that would render it pointless.

I mean even in 2007 there was always "repeated" rp's or clones. Like you stated plenty of arranged marriages or walk ins but back then when one created an rp with a interesting plot and fair rules it would usually flock with users excited to roleplay. I loved it...But now its nothing. Like you ive recently created an rp, and even joined one. Both are going no where.... Idk what to do for my rp needs!

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Hmm... It might be a good idea for Gaia to start promoting RP again. I remember it got really big and fast-moving when they touted it as a fantasy/anime roleplay site. After that, they started promoting Gaia as a hangout.

Promoting RP again may be a win-win. RP with avatars you can dress makes for very good revenue, especially if users find that appealing.
BOMB4Y
Hmm... It might be a good idea for Gaia to start promoting RP again. I remember it got really big and fast-moving when they touted it as a fantasy/anime roleplay site. After that, they started promoting Gaia as a hangout.

Promoting RP again may be a win-win. RP with avatars you can dress makes for very good revenue, especially if users find that appealing.

Exactly. Bringing back the rp feel will not only increase revenue but it'd probably bring back many old time Gaians. When it was treated more towards the rp community it was still a great place for those who just wanted to "hangout" and had a lot of people online at once. Now although "many" people are online it feels like a ghost website

I love your idea about the avatars

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Most RPs here on Gaia these days are either fandom related, cliche' anime ripoffs, or horny teens trying to find someone to cyber with by starting really bad RPs.
xx I met my fate xx
Most RPs here on Gaia these days are either fandom related, cliche' anime ripoffs, or horny teens trying to find someone to cyber with by starting really bad RPs.

A-are you serious?... I mean about the last part.. Again gauss always had an overdose of ripoff rps and fan based rps but that last part... crying

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
FierceHex
xx I met my fate xx

A-are you serious?... I mean about the last part.. Again gauss always had an overdose of ripoff rps and fan based rps but that last part... crying

Definitely. Look for the sheer amount of "Slave/owner" or "Spank house" or "Arranged Marriage" or such RPs. Next take into account the literacy level of most of them.

99% of them are people who are trying to find like-minded individuals to cyber with.
I mean if that's how you wanna get your rocks off, fine as long as it's offsite since it's against the GAIA TOS. However it is inconvenient for those of us who actually want to RP.

Tiny Shapeshifter

FierceHex
Well, what do you expect to happen when people focuses more on their OC's appearances over their "background/experiences makes the character"? lol
xx I met my fate xx
FierceHex
xx I met my fate xx

Definitely. Look for the sheer amount of "Slave/owner" or "Spank house" or "Arranged Marriage" or such RPs. Next take into account the literacy level of most of them.

99% of them are people who are trying to find like-minded individuals to cyber with.
I mean if that's how you wanna get your rocks off, fine as long as it's offsite since it's against the GAIA TOS. However it is inconvenient for those of us who actually want to RP.

That's just sad. I never really understood the point of cybering but to each their own. Just wish it didn't ruin rping..
Yen Quest
FierceHex
Well, what do you expect to happen when people focuses more on their OC's appearances over their "background/experiences makes the character"? lol

For me it was always and is always about my characters bio and skills. Don't get me wrong I want my characters to look cool but after they had a story and only to look cool for the sake of being a bada$$

Tiny Shapeshifter

FierceHex
For me it was always and is always about my characters bio and skills. Don't get me wrong I want my characters to look cool but after they had a story and only to look cool for the sake of being a bada$$
Appearances usually accompany the character's personality/etc so, I wouldn't be surprised if people happen to look the way they do. Just, don't go with attractive character because "not-human" lazy dome route.please. x'D

Then again, I'm not blaming folks to go easy when they just want to RP temporarily. If someone's set for a long term RP, well even if it's for a week or so, at least give the characters' and story's potential some thought before jumping in blindfolded (which tend to make up for majority of RPs I've seen recently).
Yen Quest
FierceHex
Appearances usually accompany the character's personality/etc so, I wouldn't be surprised if people happen to look the way they do. Just, don't go with attractive character because "not-human" lazy dome route.please. x'D

Then again, I'm not blaming folks to go easy when they just want to RP temporarily. If someone's set for a long term RP, well even if it's for a week or so, at least give the characters' and story's potential some thought before jumping in blindfolded (which tend to make up for majority of RPs I've seen recently).

I agree. Isn't that a huge part of an rp? Character development, story development and then of course fun? You can't take any of that away because a true rp can't function without the other.. The fact that you say the majority of rps are the way you've described them makes me sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff