Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Nerd

I want to lose weight and start working out, but I'm a little unsure about how to start. I have a little bit of a motivation problem, but I feel I can work past that considering I really want to lose weight.

I would rather not go to the gym and would prefer to work out at home and/or outside in my area. So, any tips? Walking? Drinking tea? Any ideas for an at home work out? I'm really new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. sweatdrop

Thanks in advance.

Tipsy Nerd

Dapper Gekko

For working out, you should really just try and find something you enjoy doing. There are a bunch of different things you can do, but you won't stick to it if you don't like it. Sometimes when I don't want to go to the gym I'll just do exercises at home like pilates or weights -- you can find a number of online training videos on YouTube. Healthy diet and moderate portion sizes are going to help you see those results.

Tipsy Nerd

Phoenix Songbird
For working out, you should really just try and find something you enjoy doing. There are a bunch of different things you can do, but you won't stick to it if you don't like it. Sometimes when I don't want to go to the gym I'll just do exercises at home like pilates or weights -- you can find a number of online training videos on YouTube. Healthy diet and moderate portion sizes are going to help you see those results.

I enjoy walking and swimming a lot so I think I'm gonna start doing those.
I've never tried pilates, but I'm going to look into it since I've heard/seen a lot of people doing it.

How long do you usually exercise for? I was thinking about doing 30 minute walks. (I have a dog so I can always take him with me on my walks too)

Dapper Humorist

Thirty minute walks won't really make a huge difference to your weight, thirty minutes of running however might.
You wont loose weight unless your calorie intake in lower than your calories burned, its easier to eat fewer calories but more healthy for you to burn them off.
Get your diet right, make it as varied and healthy as you can, eat as few junk items as you can and acknowledge that loosing weight is a lifetime goal, unless you want to be one of those idiots spewing that "Diets dont work because when I stopped I put it all back on again."

Why the aversion to the gym?
Hi!

When the cravings hit me hard and I am not sure if I am hunger for real or just want to binge eat, I ask myself "would I eat an apple?"
If I would eat an apple, I am hungry. I also am more likely to grab an apple or something healthy. If I say no I wouldn't eat an apple, I know it is just cravings and I drink water.

Oh, and drink more water. Lots of water.

Dapper Ladykiller

Go here if you want to try a good pilates workout. It wont burn as many calories as other exercises, but boy does it burn and you can start slowly building muscle.

A 30 minute walk is a good starting place. What I would suggest is doing a short workout video and then going for the walk, and eventually working your way up to a longer workout video and a run. The most important thing is to do more, and differently, than what youre doing now. While watching your diet smile

Dapper Gekko

Spiritus Vitae
Phoenix Songbird

I've never tried pilates, but I'm going to look into it since I've heard/seen a lot of people doing it.

How long do you usually exercise for? I was thinking about doing 30 minute walks. (I have a dog so I can always take him with me on my walks too)
It depends. If I go to the gym I try to go for at least an hour. Tennis I'll go longer. And then if I'm just working out at home I generally do less than an hour because I'm busy.

Like people have mentioned before, walking for 30 minutes is a good place to start, but if you want to really start seeing results you should look into activities with a higher intensity. Swimming, I think, would be good! That can be a nice, full body work out.

Tipsy Nerd

Ivan Isaacss
Thirty minute walks won't really make a huge difference to your weight, thirty minutes of running however might.
You wont loose weight unless your calorie intake in lower than your calories burned, its easier to eat fewer calories but more healthy for you to burn them off.
Get your diet right, make it as varied and healthy as you can, eat as few junk items as you can and acknowledge that loosing weight is a lifetime goal, unless you want to be one of those idiots spewing that "Diets dont work because when I stopped I put it all back on again."

Why the aversion to the gym?

Well to start. xD I haven't worked out really and I have chest pains a lot. I don't want to start jogging too much and wind up collapsing. So i'm starting off slowly now, since I know if I did start jogging I would not be doing it long, lol.
My diet is pretty much all healthy too. I don't really eat junk food, chocolate hurts my teeth and too much candy makes me feel sick. Most of the time I'm snacking on celery.
And nope, don't worry. I know that if I want a flat stomach or whatever I will working out for a long time~

and I dunno... I'm self conscious and don't like working out with people watching me.

Tipsy Nerd

Phoenix Songbird
Spiritus Vitae
Phoenix Songbird

It depends. If I go to the gym I try to go for at least an hour. Tennis I'll go longer. And then if I'm just working out at home I generally do less than an hour because I'm busy.

Like people have mentioned before, walking for 30 minutes is a good place to start, but if you want to really start seeing results you should look into activities with a higher intensity. Swimming, I think, would be good! That can be a nice, full body work out.

Alrighty~ Thanks for your help! :3
*friendly reminder to keep your expectations and goals realistic*

I'm in the same boat as you
right now I'm just trying to get into the habit of walking my dog every day for at least half an hour, sometimes an hour.

it hasn't affected my weight yet, but forming the habit now will hopefully make it easier to stick with later, when I start running :<

Chatty Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I'd recommend to start out with something light (especially if you are just starting a workout routine) such as beginners yoga or power walking smile There's tons of great DVD's you can get for at-home workouts, and power walking around your neighborhood or a nice path is great. They say that walking amongst nature can actually make you feel better and want to exercise more, which could help with your motivation.

I do recommend a gym later on as the personal trainers and staff there can teach you a bunch of great things! I also recommend a 24 hour gym if you can find one. I used to go to one with terrible hours and I found that I'd make excuses for myself to NOT go when they were open. Now with my 24/7 gym, I have no excuses to tell myself, and I find I also go more often. I do shift work so it's also nice to fit around my schedule.
im a dancer, and i haaaaaate the gym. i'm not sure if you ever tried dance, but it is the best workout ever. i would suggest taking some beginner modern and ballet classes, and going often. it's a way for you to express yourself and be creative while getting healthy / in shape.
you'll forget your working out when you are moving throughspace with a purpose.

also veganism can speed up the loosing weight process. try going a day or two without meat or dairy. you can also eat a whole half of a watermelon for a meal / snack.

drink 1 gallon of water a day, and like you mentioned green tea is always a good option.

Gracious Raider

Home workouts are a double edged sword.
On one hand you can do them anytime in the convenience of your own home.
On the other hand, you can do them anytime, so you put them off.

I've always found once I get myself in the car to go to the gym, I'm fine, and I'm going to go crush my workout.
Don't be self-conscious about going to the gym. I go to one of the most hardcore gyms in my area. There's people competing for powerlifting, a bunch of people getting ready for bodybuilding or physique competitions. But there's also a lot of people who are just starting and are underweight, or overweight, or in their 70s. And no one judges them, but welcomes them in their, because everyone in a good gym has had to work from something before. If you can find a good gym to go to, you're going to want to.

Dangerous Player

16,425 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I use an app called Lose It! to help me manage my calorie intake. :3 It has helped me lose about 5 pounds within three weeks which may not seem like much progress, but it gets the job done.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff