Welcome to Gaia! ::

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Hi, I want to set up a personal website to display my portfolio on and I had some questions about it.

I haven't had a page since geocities was the rage (omg, anyone remember that?)

Anyway, In the past I created a whole website in Adobe In Design for a class. However, it was very time consuming and I've read that when you actually try to put the InDesign site online it doesn't translate properly and many people suggested against it.

I have access to Dreamweaver though I'd be starting from scratch with learning it.

At this point, I'd sacrifice a little bit of customization for a page builder that will have me up and running in a shorter amount of time.

I was looking at WordPress but all the WordPress sites I've come across load ridiculously slow and freeze.

Can you recommend a method of creating the page?- either one of the ones I've listed or another --

and what host would you recommend?

[I have no knowledge of html at this time but I'm opening to learning]
[The page is going to be extremely graphic heavy]

Thanks!
Websites that offer templates (whether or not you'll use them) are probably your best bet, as they'll provide you tools that will get you static pages out in no time. At the top of my head I can think of Wix and Webs. Good luck!

Beloved Darling

Once upon a blessed time...

I am at the moment using Neocities, but that requires coding everything yourself.

I have heard of Moonfruit, though. They have templates and it looks pretty friendly.

... and they lived happily ever after.

User Image

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
MyNameIsKir
Websites that offer templates (whether or not you'll use them) are probably your best bet, as they'll provide you tools that will get you static pages out in no time. At the top of my head I can think of Wix and Webs. Good luck!
Okay! Ill look into Wix and Webs. Thanks!

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Confelicity
Once upon a blessed time...

I am at the moment using Neocities, but that requires coding everything yourself.

I have heard of Moonfruit, though. They have templates and it looks pretty friendly.

... and they lived happily ever after.

User Image
Ah, I'll give Moonfruit a look over! Thanks!
You could use joomla or drupal. Drupal is my favorite of the two.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
xdxmx9
You could use joomla or drupal. Drupal is my favorite of the two.
okay! thanks for the recommendations

Loiterer

A lot of photographers are using smugmug.com these days.

Squarespace.com is also pretty decent.

Both could probably translate for artwork well enough.

Newbie Newb

14,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
what kind of portfolio are you wanting to display? i could make you a custom website of your liking depending on what exactly you want done. But you would need a domain. If you use a free web builder they have domains they let you use but the web builders are sometimes limited to what you can do. and they have ad's meh

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Selena V2
what kind of portfolio are you wanting to display? i could make you a custom website of your liking depending on what exactly you want done. But you would need a domain. If you use a free web builder they have domains they let you use but the web builders are sometimes limited to what you can do. and they have ad's meh
Its an illustration portfolio.Thanks for the offer but i don't really have a budget for website design right now. Oh, you have a good point about the ads.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Bornes
A lot of photographers are using smugmug.com these days.

Squarespace.com is also pretty decent.

Both could probably translate for artwork well enough.
Oh my friend uses squarespace i just found out! His site looks nice enough and loads well. I'm going to read up on smugmug too. thanks

Newbie Newb

14,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
I SO VERY----- I
Selena V2
Its an illustration portfolio.Thanks for the offer but i don't really have a budget for website design right now. Oh, you have a good point about the ads.
i was offering it as a free service but alright i hope you find everything your looking for.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Selena V2
I SO VERY----- I
Selena V2
i was offering it as a free service but alright i hope you find everything your looking for.
oh, thank you! That was very nice of you! I kind of want to learn it myself anyway though.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
francisjackson
I built my website with http://www.webstarts.com free web builder. There are some nice templates for it and a good and affordable hosting for your website. I guess, it will help you with your project
Thanks for the info! I got my page up already now but I'll keep this in mind for the future

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff