Welcome to Gaia! ::

Robert Ramos's Queen

Golden Codger

Hi guys! I'm wanting to get "in shape" so to speak, but I personally don't want to go to the gym/lift weights and whatnot. What I would like to do is take up yoga. It's something I can do in my own house until I feel comfortable enough to start taking classes at a the gym. I hear a lot of good things about it and since I"m a pretty high strung person, I'm intrigued by the "soothing" qualities some people talk about.

For the longest time, I just couldn't lose weight. I had my son 11 years old and pretty much stayed between the 220-240lb mark. Back in May, I had surgery to remove a dead internal organ and since May, I went from 236lbs to 209lbs. My diet has changed dramatically. I rarely snack anymore (unless I'm craving something salty, but its always a small snack). But, I'm still not getting all the nutrients I need because I don't eat as healthy as I know I can. I have a lot of textural fixations (so, salty, crunchy... cheesy) and that makes it difficult for me to eat fruits and veggies.

So, I'm curious to people's experiences with yoga and also different healthy alternatives to my usual go-to of salty cheesy chips. Haha.

Lonely Hunter

I tried a yoga dvd a long time ago (this one, actually) and I enjoyed it but I didn't commit to it, so I can't offer insight on the results. I tried going at it again recently (like seven years after) and I found it hard. I'm not as flexible as I used to be, nor as strong... or young sad

For the salty treats... maybe you could try pistachios or cashews? You should check nutrition facts first, of course, but I hope they are not as bad as chips.

Good luck!

Dapper Ladykiller

I dont do yoga nearly as much as I used to, but I used to get up at 5am every day to do it when I was having mental issues. And wow- it helped a lot. Back then I didn't need the toning as much so I cant tell you what all it did for my body, but I felt really great!

Also: there are a ton of workouts you can do at home, I haaate putting on clothes to go workout so its my primary gym smile

For salty snacks, I love roasted veggies. Hear me out. Take a head of cauliflower, chop it up, toss it in oil, add salt and cajun seasoning, and roast it in the oven at 450 until crispy. WOW. Also, if I peel potatoes I do the exact same thing with the potato skins.
I do a lot running in the mornings getting up and exercise your body 🌚these really good work out flow in the morning cool breeze wind bling on you and pear of headphones

Romantic Sex Symbol

30 Days of Yoga

Hello there. Now I wanted to let you that yoga alone will not let you lose weight depending on how much you want to lose. Normally you need to do a combination of yoga or pilates, cardio and strength training. Now when I say cardio no you do not need a treadmill or anything like that. I was able to lose 15 pounds with just walking around the park and around my job.

Also when you try yoga do not push yourself. Trust me if you push yourself you will injure yourself. But I think this will help you start out. If you need any tip just ask. I work at a pharmacy and teach pharmacy and health so if i can't answer I will be able to find a source to help you out. ^_^

Romantic Sex Symbol

Also do not diet. As long as you eat everything in moderation you can eat what you want. For instance let's say you love pizza and normally eat 4 slices. If you cut it down to 2 slices you still ate the pizza but you cut your calorie intake by half. When you start saying I won't eat this or that is when you start craving that food even more.

to get more fruits and vegetables in your diet the best thing I have learned is either a salad for a mild lunch occasionally or smoothies. I love making smoothies because I can but just a few items in it and make my fruit and vegetable intake goal.

Robert Ramos's Queen

Golden Codger

Karu Black
30 Days of Yoga

Hello there. Now I wanted to let you that yoga alone will not let you lose weight depending on how much you want to lose. Normally you need to do a combination of yoga or pilates, cardio and strength training. Now when I say cardio no you do not need a treadmill or anything like that. I was able to lose 15 pounds with just walking around the park and around my job.

Also when you try yoga do not push yourself. Trust me if you push yourself you will injure yourself. But I think this will help you start out. If you need any tip just ask. I work at a pharmacy and teach pharmacy and health so if i can't answer I will be able to find a source to help you out. ^_^

Thank you so much for that! I'll be starting this soon! biggrin
I've definitely cut down how much I eat a day. I mean, with the health things, it's been ... cutting down to the point of very little hunger. ><

I'm also embarking on buying a new to me car, so that's stress for me as well.
Adulthood. Amiryte?
Yoga has absolutely changed my life for the better. What helps me keep up with it everyday is this AMAZING yoga app called YOGA STUDIO. It is only $5.00 on the iPhone/iPad. Worth any penny, I swear. I do yoga to control my anxiety and depression. It centers me and clears my mind. I just finished a 15 minute relaxation session and it completely turned my mood around.
I also do it to maintain my weight. Not only does it tone me, but I feel more in tune with my body. I want to nourish it more and keep it moving. Yoga has changed my life. I believe with a little time and patiences, it can change yours. If you have anymore questions about how yoga has impacted my life, feel free to PM me. 3nodding

Big Duck

Vehicular Cancer
Karu Black
30 Days of Yoga

Thank you so much for that! I'll be starting this soon! biggrin
I've definitely cut down how much I eat a day. I mean, with the health things, it's been ... cutting down to the point of very little hunger. ><

I'm also embarking on buying a new to me car, so that's stress for me as well.
Adulthood. Amiryte?

Throwing in my 2 cents here - you should definitely start and finish that 30 days of yoga segment. (Don't feel like a failure if you "miss" a day, just pick up where you left off or incorporate multiple videos in the same day; I did the same thing). I follow that yoga instructor on youtube and she is one of the best instructors I've ever tried out. She's so good. Trust me when I say you will feel so refreshed, powerful and amazing when you complete that 30 days, especially on the last day. You will have cultivated a strong mind and body and you will feel so good, whether or not you lose weight. Adriene is an inspiration.
Also, if you want to try out pilates specifically, I highly recommend Blogilates. She is also an inspiration to me and got me started on my journey to physical and mental wellness. Just remember to take things easy when you do pilates (& anything else for that matter), and immediately stop whenever you feel pain. Warm up before your workouts. Drink lots of water. And don't be ashamed if you need to take a break in the middle of it or even completely stop! You should only do what's best for your body.
Good luck. Anything you do to further your overall health is worth it. heart
Yoga benefits to loose weight , but there should be good combination of yoga and diet

Anxious Kitten

I'd love to lose weight with yoga too... It makes me feel at peace and I like that I can do it in private, but I want to lose about 30 lbs. cat_sweatdrop That's kind of a lot... But I'm loving all these responses! If it helps with mental illness, I should definitely give it a try.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff