Welcome to Gaia! ::

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
Alroy Flynn Reid

Alroy smiled big as the young woman accepted his thanks. He wasn't sure how else to further express his gratitude towards her - he still had so much and a thank you just didn't seem enough - but he resolved himself to learn and eventually repay the kindness she was still showing him.

He became intrigued when she explained that she was a Valkyrie. Alroy had never been away from his dear homeland until he set out and was offered this path by the strange deity he had met on the road, but he'd still heard some tell of the female warriors of death hailing from Scandinavia. Perhaps it explained on some level why she hadn't shown initial fear at his appearance like so many others, although he idly wondered if he had misremembered their stature as being quite tall and built...

He was somewhat embarrassed when she brought up that he'd yet to introduce his name all this time. "Oh, sorry... It's Alroy. Alroy Flynn Reid," he said.

Maybe it was because he was already growing more and more comfortable with this woman's company or perhaps it was because he was responding rather than introducing an idea, but he was pleased to see the words were steadily coming a bit easier to him.

He allowed her to lead him over to where Old Potato still stood and couldn't help but feel a flutter of nervousness at her attention to his head, but he chose to repress it. She had told him he was safe and he trusted her.

Old Potato didn't budge as she suddenly sprung up with her feathery wings and pressed her lips lightly to where the helmet didn't cover his cheek. Alroy, however, immediately flushed red at the abrupt contact again.

Just what was that now? he wondered frantically as she alighted on the ground against. "A-....another custom?"

He fell silent as she spoke again and his heart lit up when she asked to accompany him for a while. Though it'd been a long time since he had partaken of sleep, he wondered if this could be a dream after all. What she was asking was exactly what he had set out to seek all this time - and yet he never thought it would come to him so easily in the form of this sweet little Valkyrie.

He looked down at their hands, interlocked now. He had practiced and learned as much as he could of socializing before ever attempting it himself... he thought his knowledge had been somewhat decent but it was becoming more and more clear that there was still so much he didn't know - so much he had missed out on over the centuries. Athena claimed she was lacking in experience as well, but he found it hard to believe - compared to her, he was a mere child. He carefully close his fingers around her small hand, hoping his gauntlet wasn't doing too much to hinder the gesture for her.

"Honestly, Athena..." he said quietly. "With all you've done... I don't think I could ask for a better companion. There is much I want to know, but none willing to help save you..."

And as if sensing his master's next words, Old Potato finally lifted his head, ears flicking towards Athena to show where his focus was now turned to and he nickered softly. "And thank you for considering my horse," he said, glad that Athena understood he was no simple animal, but a creature to be respected as another individual. "I assure you he won't mind. Though he... may differ from me, he shares my feelings on most matters. So please... stay with me for a while..."

Alroy's was more than a bit shy, but he was infinitely more happier knowing that he actually had someone new to talk to now - someone who he knew would respect his boundaries as she had done so far, understood that he needed help, and was willing to lend their hand.

With: Athena and Edgar
Parts accounted for: Head, Body, Horse
OOC:

User Image User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
•✾●●●●●✾••✾●●●●●✾••✾●●●●●✾••✾●●●●●✾•

User Image
Quoth the Raven
Shove off!

Her smile widened as he introduced himself. "Alroy...I quite like that name. Your spirit companion, too, must have a name. Would it be too much to ask if I know of it? I don't mind calling him dear spirit...But surely directly addressing him would be something he would favor?" "I bet it's a funny one. Could you imagine if it was something like Willow Acorn?" Edgar cackled at his own joke, taking a risky hop from Athena's shoulder to the spirit horse's back. Thankfully he made it on his own, strutting back and forth, his head bobbing all the while. She couldn't help but giggle, covering her mouth as she did. It would be most embarrassing if she was laughing hard enough to snort out loud...She might just run away.

Biting her lip again, she looked to the floor as he stuttered the question she only hoped he would ask. She had provoked a curiosity in him intentionally, but hadn't thought through completely how she would answer it. Of course, she knew what it was that she had done. But was it purely a friendly gesture? Or was she implying something he wouldn't be ready for?

"Yes, in some countries that is, in fact, a custom. They use it as a sort of greeting-to kiss one another on the cheek, both cheeks, once, twice, thrice even sometimes-friendly or familial.It could also be used as an implication of romantic interest so as to entice the receiver. Athena beamed, mostly to herself, blood rushing to flush her cheeks a bright red. She had stated the facts, but this time left out her reason. He could construe what he would like from it, hopefully not scaring him off with whatever conclusion he could muster.

Athena couldn't help but continually note that he was a very soft spoken person-was it out of fear he would be judged for not being able to speak a full sentence with fluidity? Or was he a shy person? He knew he wasn't comfortable around crowds-that was more than clear-but...Did that mean he didn't like company at all? Was this severely overwhelming to him? His body and spirit companion's energies didn't seem quite so heavy. If anything, they had lightened since they stepped into the clearing to have a more personal conversation.

She felt his hand close more tightly with hers, and she felt her heart skip five beats. So...He likes hand holding. And hugs are pleasant but for only about thirty seconds. He will get used to those things won't he? What if I were to ask him what this means to him? His voice, nearly inaudible, brought her attention back to the present. She heard him speaking and looked up to his body, a little smile on her face. For a few seconds, she felt a stabbing pain in her chest. He had never experienced these things before in his life, but so easily he was willing to let her teach him. Did he feel like he missed out on so much of what could have been all this time? Did he feel like he wasted all that time being someone...He really didn't want to be?

This was how Athena felt for at least thirteen centuries of her life. When she was able to get away from the life she so hated, she wondered how she went all those years without simple things like hugs. There was never anyone to hug her...And perhaps that's why it didn't bother her. She didn't even know what a hug was for the longest time. Unfortunate it was, really.

His admission though...It created this indescribable feeling swelling in her chest and working its way through her entire body. It was beyond just mere happiness, it was more than just joy...She felt it much more intensely than that. But was there a word that accurately described it? Felicity? Delirium? Euphoria? Rapture?

"I feel blessed." She whispered, not sure what else to say. She did feel like his presence and possible friendship was a blessing. She had learned so much, and taught him a few things already; she simply couldn't imagine what more they would discover. What else the would discover together as a team of four. It was comforting to know she had more than Edgar now. She never even knew this was something that she wanted. But he evoked something in her...Something very human. She wanted something from him-she just couldn't put her finger on it yet.

More thoughts floated around with her joyful ones, those...far darker. What if he grew tired of her? Grew weary of her antics and Edgar's? What if something about her was bothersome? What if he wanted to explore the world alone after she taught him how to comfortably interact with others? What if she was temporary? Her face twisted in pain at the thought...She didn't want to be discarded. But what if that was her future? Athena wasn't one for negative thoughts, and she pushed them away before they began to overwhelm her. No. I refuse to believe it. He cares-even if he doesn't know it yet. If he didn't he wouldn't have thanked me and continued to hold my hand or hugged me as he did. He would have shoved me away and told me to go. That's what people do when they're discontent with another. she argued, trying to think instead of things that made her happy. Perhaps he would hug her again soon...
All we do is hide away
All we do is chase the day
All I wanna be is whites in waves
All we do is play it safe
All we do is live inside a cage
All I did was fail today

User ImageUser Image

Alroy smiled at her and wondered if the kiss had been mere demonstration or if she also did it with one of the meanings she spoke of. It was hard to be sure, but it filled him with happiness anyway. He was still working to believe that this was real - that she wasn't some ghost or figment of his imagination. But here she was, standing comfortably near him, holding his hand. A new companion, a new friend, someone he could count on and trust himself with. Someone he could care about and who could care for him in turn. She said she felt blessed, but she was the true blessing.

"Thank you, Lady Athena..." he said quietly before falling silent again for several moments, enjoying the relief of no longer being so alone. Then he realized he still hadn't introduced Athena properly to his horse despite her asking just a minute earlier. Here I am half sitting right on top of the bloody animal too, grinning like an idiot. Focus, Alroy, focus!

He patted his horse's shoulder with his free hand. "I'm sorry - I... I almost forgot," he said, flustering again. "He likes being called Old Potato, but you can call him something else if you want."

The horse suddenly turned his head to look at Alroy's body, stomping one foot into the ground and snorting. "Wait a bleeding moment - I never said I liked being named after a rotting vegetable."

The horse's protest went completely ignored by his master. "I, uh, hope we didn't scare your little bird too badly earlier. I'm surprised he's as calm as he is around us. Animals usually... don't like it when we're around, heh." He shifted, feeling a little awkward again.

User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
User Image

If I could find assurance to leave you behind
I know my better half would fade
And all my doubt is a staircase for you
Opened out of this maze
The first step is the one you believe in
The second one might be profound.

Athena leaned against Alroy's body, not sure what would be better or more comfortable for him. Looking at his body seemed more right than looking at his head, but she still didn't want to do anything that would make him uneasy. She shut her eyes and concentrated on his breathing, his heartbeat. Both were more consistent now, far more relaxed. Was that her own doing? Or did he just feel more composed now that he had the space and time to think and feel?

The man spoke softly and she smiled. She? Lady Athena? A gentleman if you ask me, Master. Edgar chirped softly, ruffling his feathers and squawking as he spread them out. You're most welcome, Alroy. My companion thinks you a gentleman, and I do most agree with him. The valkyrie looked up to his body, her smile widening as she spoke. If she knew one thing for sure, that would be that giving a shy person confidence, letting them know their good qualities, gave them a lot more self-esteem than nearly anything else. And if she were to work with him, try and get him to socialize pleasantly with others, he would need confidence. He had some, sure; but only really when he was alone and didn't feel like he was being judged.

Athena looked over at the horse as the dullahan spoke, wondering what it would be like to stay silent every moment one thought they were being judged. It almost seemed like, under that premise, no one would ever speak because it's in everyone's nature to make a judgment, or a decision of some sort on someone-valid and supported or not. Old Potato? That's a very unique name for a spirit horse. She murmured, gasping and taking a step back as the horse responded. I don't think he likes that.... Ha! Old Potato?! That's almost worse than Willow Acorn! Boy, your master must hate you. What have you done to give him the impression you like being called a decomposing tuber? The plump raven strut between the spirit's ears, cackling at his own comical question. It was a fair one, but a mean thing to say. Now, Edgar. We mustn't be rude to the new guests. If he prefers that name,then leave him be. It's not a thing to make fun of. Understand?

The woman eyes were on her feathered companion before slowing moving down the neck of the gorgeous beast to his master's head. Does he actually like that? Or should I simply continue to call him dear spirit? He seemed to protest... She asked lightly, her eyebrows twitching in concern. She hoped more than anything that she hadn't done anything to bother the equine...Maybe he overly protective of his master and didn't like that they were holding hands. Could that be the problem? Her eyes fell down to their hands and she frowned a little bit. But she quite liked holding his hand... even if it was too big for her own.

Lost in her own thoughts, Athena shook her head slightly. She responded more absently, Edgar is a bold fellow. He was initially scared, but I think your companion intrigues him more than makes him feel fearful. He- I was not afraid, Master Athena! I caught a cool breeze...It ruffled my feathers. He piped up, daring to n** the horse in the ear harder than before, just to see what would happen. The valkyrie shook her head again and leaned against Alroy' body once more, squeezing his hand gently. He is a feisty creature with a lot of personality. He won't admit it, but he was afraid. A lot of squawk, not a lot of n**.

Edgar proceeded to attempt and prove his point by plopping down in the very center between Old Potato's ears, gently scratching at his scalp with his claws. You're not as big and scary as you would like to think, horse brains. He warbled softly before nestling into himself and shutting his eyes. Athena opened her mouth to protest again, her hand flying up to point and reprimand. He is who he is, Athena. Let that one slide. She thought as she dropped her hand once more against her side. So, what now Mr. Reid? She asked more hopefully, letting the light wash over her, calming her mind and soul. It was time for her to be happy again. Things were perfect now.

I'll follow you down, through the eye of the storm
Don't worry I'll keep you warm.
I'll follow you down, while we're passing through space
I don't care if we fall from grace
I'll follow you down
User ImageUser Image

"Well, I try to be a gentle man because... gentler is nicer, right?" Alroy said at the translated comment.

He grinned slightly again at the reaction to his horse's name but then Athena suddenly looked down. He followed her gaze to find that their hands were still entwined. Uh oh, did I mess this up somehow? Have I held onto her too long? Am I squeezing too hard? He gently unlocked his fingers and pulled his hand away from her with a nervous smile.

"When we were choosing names, he refused to pick one so I named after something he really likes. He may put a show of complaining from time to time but if he truly cared what he was called, he'd have chosen a name himself by now. And I figured having a fun name would put people more at ease around him... but you can call him what you like..."

"You forgot to mention you were also practicing your sense of humor at the time," said the horse before twitching his ear irritably at the bird's harsh nips. "Out of all the people in a city, you had to meet one with an annoying ball of feathers for a pet."

The horse lifted his nose up, tilting his head back so the little pest would roll back down his neck. Alroy, however, reached up and prevent the bird from moving from his perch with his hand.

"Edgar's just a little bird, Old Potato. Let him sit where he wants."

The horse snorted and lowered his head again. "s**t on me and it's the last you'll ever do, bird."

Alroy sighed and reached up to finally retrieve his head from the saddle so as not to get separated from it again in case Old Potato wished to move around a little more freely.

He turned his attention back to Athena, nervously holding his head with both hands to face her. "I think your bird is very... um... what's the word... cute? I've never seen any bird get close, never mind perch on Old Potato. I think it'd be nice if they could become friends too."

He smiled again but turned to look at the ground.

"To be honest... now that I've finally met one who accepts my appearance... I'm not really sure what to do. I never got this far before..."

He turned his head around again before finally reattaching it to his neck. The seam between head and shoulders sealed off without a trace and the dark ethereal matter that composed some of his being and leaked out from the spot dissipated completely. Truthfully, he always felt less comfortable with his perspective locked with his body, and although he had contemplated accomplishing his mission in this form a couple times before, he felt hiding his true nature and appearance would defeat some of his purpose. However, it was more convenient carrying his head this way and perhaps Athena would feel more comfortable with him this way as well. He was aware that perhaps she'd be more liable to look him directly in the face when speaking but his shyness with eye contact was yet another thing he'd hope to eventually get over and there was no time like the present.

"I figured this may... be a little better for now," he said, hesitantly. He turned his head right and left once to loosen up his neck a little more and assure its security before looking down at Athena again. "I think... I'd like to try staying in his area just a little longer... but if, well... you mentioned earlier that you had already stayed in the city a couple days, right? Are you visiting? Or perhaps traveling somewhere and just taking a break?"

User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
User Image

Opened out of this maze

Athena almost immediately reacted when he looked down with her and removed his hand from hers. But what was she supposed to say? She looked to be frowning at the matter...And he could only react accordingly to her response. You dumb feathered human... She reprimanded herself, sighing softly while trying to put a smile on her face. It would require them to move in baby steps anyways. One hand-holding moment at a time.

Not long after did Alroy better explain the reasoning behind his horse's rather peculiar name. It was believable, reasonable for some reason too. In the least, he hadn't named his horse something that he absolutely hated...But to like old potatoes? That was an odd taste. Could rotting things make the spirit sick? Could he get sick by anything? Could Alroy get food poisoning or was that thing something primarily humans got...Well animals could get sick from things too-things they couldn't eat. Edgar got sick once time when he ate a cacao bean instead of a raisin. How the poor feather ball managed that was beyond her. He had said he was really hungry and so must have missed the fact that raisins are shriveled with little wrinkles and cacao beans are small and smooth.

The valkyrie smiled, commenting softly, I know that there are some potatoes in the market get thrown out if not sold within a certain-I think if they get to be too old. Maybe we could give them to your companion. She thought it wasteful and thought to salvage some of the food right before it was thrown in the piles of garbage behind the markets and shops. If worst came to worst, they could very well be used for some compost, and she could use that compost for the little planter boxes that she wanted to make. Edgar was quite fond of a few kinds of dried fruits and nuts, and she would love to make him a homemade trail mix of sorts if she could. Why was she so lost in her thoughts now? Alroy is paying his full attention to you, you should do the same.

She looked up to follow the movements of the dullahan-Hey now! That's real mean of you, you ghost animal! I have done nothing but graced you with my presence. Show some respect! he squawked unhappily- talking to his horse in a language she only vaguely could recognize. The horse, of course, could understand. Could Edgar understand? I will do my business where I like and no big baddie like you is going to tell me otherwise. The raven said with a humph before settling back down where he was. He shut his little beady black eyes, his claws scratching at the horse. He didn't know if the equine could feel it but it really was the best he had in terms of intimidation and pain tactics.

Thank you, Mr. Reid. I'm sure Edgar...Provoked him in one manner or another. She tried to smile as she spoke though was thoroughly disappointed Ed couldn't seem to behave even for a second. He doesn't always like to listen to me. Her smile became more genuine, though, the more Alroy spoke. He thought Edgar cute? Ed was her pride and joy in life, and she completely adored him! He had always been on the plumper side-which seemed to make things cuter, especially animals!- and very kind to her ever since she caught him. He was grateful when he felt he needed to be, and amusing especially when she needed a good laugh. I HEARD THAT! Must I make the man feel my wrath?! I am not cute! Athena giggled, shaking her head as she looked in the general direction of the dullahan. Ed is very cute, I must admit. He doesn't like when other people call him that...But there's not much he can do- Master Athena, I'm only cute for you. He chirped softly, and she nodded, twisting her hand in the sleeves of her dress. Yes, Edgar. You are only cute to me. But she leaned over and whispered, You can call him cute. And I apologize ahead of time for how much we banter.

Her cheeks tinted a rosy pink as she stepped back to give the man space. She wasn't sure whether he was so used to people close to him or up against him, and she had already prolonged several moment of physical contact. Surely that was enough for the day-and if he so desired, he could initiate any other times he wanted her for hugs, hand-holding, and the like. She highly doubted he would manage to kiss her anywhere in the next five years.

Athena kept her eyes trained on his movements once more as he took the head in his hands and brought it up to the area where it belonged on most people. She hadn't ever seen a dullahan reattach his or her head before...That was very unusual. Why had he done it? Was it for her sake? Because she could easily reassure him that she was far more than comfortable and used to the sight of a headless body. Dear Odin, that's morbid to mention! She squinted and watched awestruck as the head fell right into place and attached like it never had the chance of coming apart. The valkyrie nearly leapt up and went to jab and poke at the seam that had practically vanished. It was one of the most fascinating things she had ever seen, and in that moment, she felt like a babe learning about new things in the world. Why did you do that? She asked softly, bringing her hands together to hold themselves. She was nervous to question his actions, but she was wholly curious now. And she really did want to know everything about him...

She didn't want his questions to go unanswered, though, as that was inconsiderate and undeniably rude. I...Am here to stay. It's safe for me, here. I want this sanctuary to be my home, as I have never once had one. She responded, nearly inaudibly. Athena looked away for a moment as she felt a pang of sadness and regret in mentioning that. A painful reality she had yet to accept-never having some place to call a home. And to think she was actually one who ran...Who was some sort of fugitive for no longer serving the gods. She really hoped no one was looking for her. She wanted to be lost for now. At least, until she felt worthy of being found.

I'll follow you down
User ImageUser Image

"Well... he eats just about anything, but he especially likes potatoes," said Alroy. "He'd be happy to eat them if people really don't want them."

"I like fresh ones too, you remember," said the horse in question, but still didn't bother sharing his thoughts with anyone but his master.

He couldn't help it if the bird overheard, however The few brave - or stupid - animals who didn't immediately scatter upon his presence always seemed to pick up on his intentions no matter how he tried to keep them to himself.

"I know," said Alroy quietly back to him before turning his attention back to Athena. "And you can just call me Alroy... Mister doesn't... It feels more formal than I deserve." He smiled awkwardly again before blushing and freezing at Athena's sudden close quarters when she whispered in his ear. She was so close... Was that really okay? Could Alroy get that close to her too if he needed?

Meanwhile Old Potato pondered how lucky Alroy was not to understand the squawking little menace perched on his brow.

"Master, as the tiny valkyrie has said, the bird has threatened action should he be referred to as 'cute' by you again. If you've any kind of love for me, repeat yourself. Maybe he'll sit on you instead."

"Old Potato..." said Alroy as the horse's words snapped him out of his flustered state, and he gave him a look.

"You don't understand; He won't shut up!" Although the scratching does feel a bit pleasant... Old Potato tilted his head just a little in hopes of shifting the bird's claws to the right more. But if he does s**t, I swear to the lords of all fae I'll buck regardless of my master's wishes, he thought to himself.

"I'm sorry, too, Lady Athena, for talking to my horse so much when you're trying to talk to me.... Usually he's quiet, but it looks like your bird has given him something to... chat about."

He almost said 'complain' but caught himself before he made Athena think her bird was undesirable... which he was by Old Potato's admission but Athena seemed very fond of her bird and Alroy thought him a harmless and funny little guy himself. He decided to treat the animal respectfully and leniently for Athena's sake.

"A-anyway..." He fought to figure out something else to say when Athena asked him about his head. "Isn't... it more comfortable talking to me like this?" he asked, bewildered.

Then her expression seemed to change dramatically when answering his question of her plans in the city. Was she upset again? She seemed so sad... He hesitantly reached out and laid a hand as lightly as he could on her little shoulder.

"I, uh.. I'm sorry if I upset you again..." He gave what he hoped was a comforting, if not strained, smile. "Uh, hey, I don't have a home either! So... maybe... we can make one... here together?"

Even as he said it, he wondered if it was a stupid or weird question to ask and he winced as he awaited a reply from her.

User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
User Image

Opened out of this maze

Athena nodded to acknowledge both what Old Potato said, and what Alroy had requested. Of course, she had no idea what it was that the poor spirit horse had said, but thought that, in the least, he deserved acknowledgement. She presumed that since she had been consistent about translating what it was that Edgar said-save for the rude talk- that Alroy would be much the same with his companion as well. At least, he seemed considerate enough for her to assume he would. "Alright then, Alroy. If your companion is trying to communicate a better name to me, please do let me know. I want to make sure he is comfortable with the way in which I address him. It only seems fair, doesn't it?" She asked hopefully, trying to keep her demeanor on the more positive side. She wasn't sure if he was able to catch and interpret her expressions and body language as she did with him, so to change her tone of voice would be more easy to recognize. Right?

Darn right I won't shut up! I don't want you to forget who is in charge here! Athena sighed at her companion's demands, smiling anyways. To think a little ball of feathers and attitude was attempting to control a far larger spirit horse was amusing in its own respect, and she nearly wanted to laugh out in the open for it. Edgar, manners. She reminded him lightly, only glancing his way. She wanted to make sure that she still included Alroy in the way she stood, not to close him off. Yes, Master Athena. The bird responded, defeated for the moment. He continued to scratch the horse, figuring that he didn't wholly hate the action given he hadn't moved to buck and had called it 'pleasant'. You won this time, horse brains.

The valkyrie laughed softly and shrugged off his apology. They were in the same position with their ever-present companions. They needed just as much attention as any other creature, and with their bold and colorful personalities...It appeared they needed even more recognition than the average.She knew he meant well by his apology, however, and she was mentally grateful for that.

His next question caught her off guard for a moment. Did she have an answer for that? Had she ever spoken to the headless bodies that she was so used to seeing when she was serving? She had, that was true. Mostly to assure them they would go to Valhalla, or to wish they would stop making those awful sounds. They haunted her to this day, the way they moaned and wished for their survival to a wonderous afterlife she simply couldn't grant them. I don't mind it much either way, Mr.-Alroy. Whatever you're more comfortable with is all I ask for. And since you asked, if your head is separate...How do you prefer to be addressed? I could tell you don't quite like me looking at your face, but wasn't sure it was right to talk to your body. She caught herself before finishing his name, looking past him and then down at her hands that were gripping her dress sleeves far too tightly. Was that a dumb question to ask? Or would he be offended? Would he get uncomfortable and ask she leave him alone? Athena really wished he wouldn't...That he would just tell her it was a good question to ask, and that she was kind to consider it. Maybe it really was rude. Oh he must really hate me now, if he didn't before...

The little woman gasped softly, startled as she felt his heavy hand come down to rest on her shoulder. It wasn't heavy because he was trying to hurt her. No, it was heavy because she was small and most everything larger than her felt heavier. Anatomically, he was proportionate in weight compared to his height. Bigger bones are heavier than smaller bones, after all. You really must relax or you'll frighten him away! You didn't mean it. I know your intentions were in the right place in your heart. The term home just strikes me in an odd way. I don't know how to explain it well... Athena trailed off, letting him ask his next question.

Was that a smile? Was he trying to make her feel better? He must have known some social conventions after all, or perhaps it was by pure luck that he was doing precisely what was most comforting to some. The valkyrie couldn't help but smile back, nodding to his offer. I would love it if you would keep me company during my stay here. And if you please, I will be your company as well. We could make a home here. She wasn't sure he would understand by 'here' she meant the sanctuary, or if he thought she meant here in the forest, or here in the nearby city. But either way, the kinks of where 'here' was would be worked out, and they would decide together what their next move was.

I'll follow you down
User ImageUser Image

Alroy glanced at his horse, who made a noise somewhere between a neigh and a snort - his version of a shrug - before addressing Athena. "Old Potato is fine for now. If he does finally decide to choose a different name, he'll tell me and I'll let you know. Thank you for considering him, though."

He dropped his hand immediately from Athena's shoulder at her gasp. He couldn't really tell if it was just because she hadn't expected the gesture or if he had ended up hurting her despite his care to avoid it. She didn't seem in pain afterwards, however... Perhaps he had mistaken the meaning of the gesture he so often saw men shared in the taverns he had watched back in Ireland. Or maybe it didn't carry the same meaning to the Valkyrie.

"Sorry..." he said softly, again.

To his relief, she still seemed set on remaining his companions but he was growing more and more fearful that his blunders would soon grow to be too much for anyone to stay. Just how much could a person put up with, after all? Surely even this patient valkyrie would tire of his wrong or consistently awkward attempts at understanding basic social conventions...

Nothing to it but to make the most of it while it lasts, he thought. She's still here despite my foolishness - perhaps it'll be at least a little while yet before she tires of the company.

He rubbed his arm at Athena's question regarding how he'd prefer to be addressed before taking a deep breath and standing a little straighter. "Thank you for asking... Most people look others in the eye when talking, right? So regardless of whether I am in two or whole, please address me that way." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Or unless... you know... if my body is the only thing around or... yeah..."

Until that point, Old Potato had retorted to the bird's prior response with a "The only way I can imagine losing to you is if I was sleeping or dead already," before simply focusing on how it felt to be scratched between the ears.

Alroy had never done that to him before, granted that it was a tough to reach spot for even him. It was surprising how nice it felt. Maybe having the bird around wouldn't be a total irritation after all. But at his master's words about looking people in the eye, he couldn't help but interject again.

"Helmet," he reminded his master. "Hard to look you in the eye as it is without them being hidden." Alroy turned his head to the horse and Old Potato felt a small wave of anxiety, but the horse also knew that Alroy truly did want to take it off as well, just as he had truly wanted to enter the town but kept finding excuses to delay their entrance. And so Old Potato stepped forward to once again give his master the forceful push needed to meet his desire.

However, Alroy immediately put up a hand and Old Potato halted as his master undid the strap himself and pulled the helmet off. He ran a hand through his hair and looked away nervously before hooking the helmet on Old Potato's saddle. "Sorry if that... seemed weird just now... I, uh... my horse... reminded me I still had that on... Uh, a-anyway... I may not understand your feelings on home just yet.... but I share the desire to have one... I think. But... Well I'm glad you're still willing to have me stay... with you..."

He took a deep breath, realizing just how badly he was talking again. He couldn't help it - hiding his face was natural instinct and to have it out so openly now made him want to run again. But if he could successfully learn how to suppress his darker nature, he could overcome this too. He just... never had someone to practice this with... It was already harder than he thought.

"Um, I'm still... I mean, so where are you staying? I mean I know in the city... but... I was going to stay in the forest until I could find or build... something... I don't really know much about building houses, though, I guess... I've never even been in one before. Not that that matters..."

Morrigan damn me, I'm rambling. I don't even know what I'm trying to say anymore... again... Okay, calm down, Alroy. Deep breaths. Think. Just say 'Do you know of someone who could help me build a house in the forest.' Just say it.

He opened his mouth but nothing came out and he closed it again and kept his eyes down, thoroughly embarrassed. Old Potato did a soft, neigh-like sigh but otherwise said nothing.

User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
User Image

Opened out of this maze

Athena shook her head, forcing herself to not reach out for his hand and hold it in her own. She didn't want him to feel bad for what he had done, he had simply startled her from her own thoughts. She got so far lost in them that half the time when she was in the presence of company, she forgot altogether that they were there. Not to mention things just affected her more easily because she was somewhat weak, being as small as she was.

As he spoke once more, standing taller than before, she moved to stand straighter too and unfurl her hands from her dress sleeves. Now it just seemed a little too formal, but there was something about mirroring body language that seemed to go over well for most. Her crystalline eyes dragged up from the ground to look him in the eyes as he asked, and they were soft with compassion and desire to understand. Though he asked of her that she look him in the eyes, as that was the normal thing to do, she didn't think that would be the best option for him. All he seemed to want was to blend in, to be what was deemed socially 'normal'; but what he wasn't considering was his own comfort levels. Stepping out of the box, as they call it, was good and healthy sometimes. But eye contact was a sensitive thing, and in some cultures was even rude. Surely he didn't know this...Wasn't that what she was there for?

Athena moved to take his hand in hers, not being able to stand the way that he scratched at himself with the nervous tension. I understand and will follow what you ask, but I do want to say this... If you feel anxious, offended, or upset in any manner when people look you in the eye, it is best you don't request that as the way in which they should address you. I know it seems okay and normal, but you may not feel the same way. She gently squeezed his hands, smiling as she looked up at him. She wasn't so sure his facial expression, or if he was even listening and looking at her. It really is hard to see things from way down here...Perhaps I should acquire some stilts. She thought to herself, her eyes wide and hopeful still.

The valkyrie waited for his response, or for him to say something more. Perhaps she had said too much already...She wasn't sure how much advice or perspective was too much. She just wanted to tell him and teach him everything she knew, particularly the things that were relevant in the moment. If she didn't, Freyja only knows she would forget. What use would it be then if an accident were to occur? Then he might blame her, and it really would be all her fault for not warning him ahead of time. Gods, she would feel guilty and awful for causing a commotion or uproar over something so simple. Yet, were social conventions really simple? Every culture managed to have their own, and so to remember every single regions ways of interacting...How did anyone do it? Athena, you're getting away with your thoughts again.

The woman shook her head to jumble the thoughts once more. She could only imagine what he thought as she stared blankly up at him with her thoughts floating around like bubbles flying away with the wind. She caught the end of his comment regarding his horse, even managing to giggle a little. He thinks she's bothered by that? He hadn't fully understood how understanding and patient she was. With time, right? She brought her hands together as it appeared he had let them go in the process of removing the helmet he was wearing.I don't find it weird at all. Edgar does much the same, but seeing as he is most serene right now between your spirit companion's ears...He is quiet. The day has only begun, but he naps quite often. That much was true, and in fact, Ed had fallen asleep, unconsciously still scratching at the horse. He had a tendency to do funny things in his sleep like peck at his safety pouch straps and bite Athena's neck, but she was so fond of him that it didn't matter much. If anything, the valkyrie loved the little gestures. That was her life, and she was content with it.

The dullahan was speaking a lot more now. It was very awkward, and it almost seemed like he had lost the confidence he had only just gained in favor for a lot of deep breathing and, she could only presume, a lot of internal arguing. He knew the words he wanted to say, she could see it in his eyes, but looking at her hindered them from ever leaving his brain. She nodded and smiled encouragingly, trying to give him something to regain that confidence. It does matter. It really does matter to me, Alroy. She said with a slight frown. Why did he discount himself so quickly? Like what he had to say didn't matter? She would take anything he said and store it in her memory for later-it gave her insight as to what he did know and what he needed more work on. It gave her a checklist of things to talk about as they walked idly around, or while they sat down to eat. Nearly every moment was a moment where she could teach; and though teachable moments were rare for everyone else, they were invaluable and often for someone like him.

Athena continued on after assuring him that what he had to say was of value to her. Just to remind him that he did have value, thus his words had value as well. I haven't been living anywhere in particular, honestly. I roam around the city and the forest when twilight settles...I don't have to sleep. I've never needed to-though I really do wish I could. If you would like a home out here, we will find someone in the city to help us. I have made one friend who appears a jack-of-all-trades. Surely he knows a thing or two of building a home. Would you like to meet him in a few days time? She offered, her hands clasped together as if pleading for him to agree. Well now she was just excited. This friend of hers, bless his soul, was so sweet and kind it made her heart thud with elation. His company was really one of the most wonderful things. He had a store in town, he told her. Perhaps she could visit with Alroy so that they could get food. Would he be alright with that?

I'll follow you down
User ImageUser Image

Alroy shook his head at Athena's reassurance that he do what was comfortable. The gesture was slow and slight, being one that he had to consciously think about doing since it was impossible to even do such movement when his head was unattached.

"You see, uh, what's comfortable for a dullahan to do is not really acceptable. So if I'm going to have to deny myself comforts to be around people anyway... I might as well try stuff like this too. Besides, if I do these things enough, I'll get used to them... right? I just... never had someone to practice things like eye contact with."

He found himself nervously looking away again but the return of Athena's small hand in his managed to calm him a great deal. How such a small thing like holding hands could be so comforting was beyond his understanding. It was amazing really. His green eyes found her gaze again. Any coldness from the icy-blue color of her eyes were softened from the kindness and care held so brightly within them, making Athena's brilliant gaze both easy and difficult to hold. Did all valkyrie have such lovely eyes...? No. He couldn't imagine seeing such eyes on another. Surely Athena's was unique.

When Athena confirmed that her bird had settled down, Old Potato snorted. "At least the fluff ball has some quiet moments..."

Alroy squeezed Athena's hand as gently as he could at her next words, the growing warmth of true happiness and gratitude in his chest growing ever stronger. "Thank you, Athena. Thank you for saying it matters.... for helping me. You don't know what it means to me to hear such words.... And I swear to find a way to repay you for your kindness."

His smile brightened into something a little more light and casual. "I don't know much about valkyrie, but you sound much like my kind. We don't need to eat or sleep, but I like dreaming and eating sometimes anyway. Well... when the dreams and food is good..." A flutter of nervousness hit his stomach again at the mention of meeting another person so soon but he kept his smile. "If he could help me... then I would love to meet him," he said. It'll be okay, he told himself. Athena will be with me and a friend of someone like Athena has to be a good person, right?

User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
User Image

Opened out of this maze

The silver haired woman laughed softly, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side as her eyes shut in happiness at the thought. He hadn't quite understood what she meant by what was comfortable, and that was quite alright. Though, his logic still followed and she wouldn't make much more a fuss than she already had. If he was set on stripping away the comforts he had in order to actualize the person he wanted to be, who was she to hinder the process by questioning him, and making him think that he was wrong to conduct himself as he was? As you wish, so long as you promise to tell me if and when anything I do has you ill at ease. I don't find it beneficial in terms of teaching to have the one learning discomforted by anything I do.

Just the thought of her being a teacher made her eyes light anew, sparkling with the precious excitement and will to do what was good and right by her new friend. She did truly hope and pray he would find confidence and comfort in her presence, and should she come to be someone who was hurting more than helping, he would request her leave without feeling any level of guilt or sorrow. She would have to come to terms with any decisions he would make regarding their companionship, too. The thought of being rejected still made the valkyrie frown ever so slightly, but it was all so quickly replaced... The soft tone of his voice, the eagerness in his eyes, the gentle touch of his hand-it all forced the pain out of her chest, and instead left a lightness. She felt like their were clouds letting her float, no longer her wings doing the work. She felt like he was bringing her higher, to a place of truer peace and internal serenity.

Athena blushed softly at the squeeze of his hand, her heart stuttering. That was a feeling she had never once had before. As if her chest contracted and felt tight, yet, it was in some nice way.Though you thank me, I find no reason for it. It, quite honestly, is just me being decent to another creature much like myself. Beyond our race, our place of origin, and our intended purpose...On the inside, we are like one in the same. We act kind to receive the same kindness, we work toward comfortability around the greater population, we seek compassion and friends that do not judge us. We expect respect from others when we grant it to them-there is nothing to repay in that. So I will have to decline your desire to 'repay' me. Your companionship is all I ask for. She responded quietly, realizing her gaze had been at the floor for a majority of her little spiel. The winged creature looked up to face the dullahan once more and found some admiration in the man's emerald eyes. So sweet...Others were wrong to turn away from him.

His following admission had her eyebrows quirked in confusion. He would, essentially, pretend that he functioned as a normal person? He would eat what he deemed 'good food' and would hope only to dream something nice? The valkyrie looked around for a long thirty seconds as her thoughts ran away from her.

Why would one want to pretend to live a life that wasn't meant for them? To appear average, when they weren't? It seemed an odd desire, to want to eat and sleep if it wasn't necessary for survival. What evoked Alroy to want these things? Did he actively think about how the food tasted? Or when he awoke from unconsciousness, did he consider what feelings and emotions his dreams gave him? Were they good feelings? Did he ever have a night terror? Or was he, somehow, immune to feeling fear because he practically produced it in others as an inborn trait of his? Athena's eyes widened at the thought. Was he a fearful creature despite being one to have formerly terrorized others, and thus invoked fear in humans? That seemed a bitter irony... If he became visibly upset and really wished she would stay as his friend, there had to be a fear of others. A fear of being rejected...or abandoned, left behind like a stray pebble on the shore. Did he realize the irony in that? That he- a dullahan, a being that epitomized fear and terror and conscious nightmare- was afraid himself of the tendencies of humanity. He's still right there. His lips are moving! Open your ears! She scolded herself, bringing her fuller attention on him once more. She would have to think about that another time. Perhaps, if she had the courage, they could talk about it.

"If he could help me... then I would love to meet him," The valkyrie nodded encouragingly again, gripping his hand tighter with joy. If ever there were another that could understand you, I do really think it would be my friend. I would say it, though, that it would be much safer for you to meet him once you have settled her. So...if you like to sleep, the idea of liking unconsciousness muddling her thoughts. What was there to like? I suppose the forest is open to you. There are inns in town. Athena pulled out her coin purse, her delicate fingers pulling the drawstrings apart. She poured the little amount she had left into the palm of her hand and held it up to offer it to him. A few nights stay, if you like. She beamed up at him, far more than content knowing that she had worked hard to make the meager amount. If the money was going to be spent, it would be for someone who needed it more than she did.

I'll follow you down
User ImageUser Image

Alroy looked at her in a mix of disbelief and amazement. Everything she described as them both wanting was just so true and stated in such a... clear way. If this experience taught him anything, it was that he still had so much trouble expressing himself. Yet, she made it sound so easy. He was happy that she seemed to understand him, despite his awkwardness, and wondered if he could ever reach her level of gracefulness in conversation one day.

It took a short while for Alroy to translate his feelings on her words to a response of his own. Thankfully, Athena had seemed to be quiet for a few moments of her own in that time, which gave him much opportunity to answer.

"Lady Athena... I'm happy I met you and that you... understand and share my wishes." But my company is not easy to keep. It's rare that I find people willing to treat me so nicely, so... I still feel your help is too special to not try and do something special in turn."

He nodded his understanding at Athena's words. But his expression became confused at her next words, as she took out her coin purse and poured its full contents out into her hand before holding it out to him. "I don't want your money. That's yours." he said, glancing between her outstretched hand and her face. He took a step back, feeling a little awkward again as he tried to figure out what she was trying to do for him.

He'd heard of inns, but never really thought about why people went there. Some inns had food, he knew, but most of them were just buildings that people went into at night. He never went in one before and had no idea what happened in them since most inns didn't have many windows on the first floor. Were they just sleeping places? Why not sleep outside? Were inns more comfortable? Did they help one sleep? Surely Athena was just trying to be nice in some way by offering him money to go for one but he didn't think he'd need one.

"I probably said something confusing... I'm sorry. I don't need to sleep. I just like sleeping sometimes. I don't need your money, I, well, actually, I was hoping to earn some on my own, since it's used to trade for things..." He rubbed his arm and almost looked away before catching himself and looking back at Athena. "Can you... Can you tell me how you got yours?"

User Image

Princess Legion

44,450 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Team Peyo 25
User Image
User Image

Opened out of this maze

Her smile kept up, not faltering a moment as she shook her head. Difficult or not, she wasn't one to believe that she should receive something more than what she desired because something was 'hard' to do. Being understanding and compassionate wasn't something that was hard-she had the capacity, she used it to the best of her ability. Putting in effort toward being kind to all she met...That wasn't hard. And she chose to be that way. To be rewarded for being yourself? That seemed beyond ridiculous, but she wouldn't say it that way to him. She would simply choose to explain her feelings further. Perhaps it has been more a struggle because you didn't and continue to not know how to socialize efficiently and effectively-but that doesn't mean that my efforts, my trying to help out then deserves something special. If anything, I would argue that your company is something special, and that you've awarded me already. Would he be stubborn enough to argue more?

But when her money was refused, the corners of her smile twitched and fell to a straight line before curling downward in a gentle frown. Surely he hadn't meant it so harshly? The way he had said he didn't want her money and stepped away? She lowered her hand and waited hopefully for an explanation. Had he never heard of an inn? Perhaps her offering money was offensive to him because he hadn't a cent. Well then...wouldn't that mean that his pride and ego were in the way? To not accept help from a stranger? He couldn't possibly have thought of this consciously...He didn't seem like a vain creature in the slightest.

Edgar gave a squawk of a laugh before peeling open an eye, looking at the dullahan. You really are stubborn, headless horseman. She's not confused about what you said-you're just a deer in the headlights. He warbled before shutting the eye and itching the horse's head with his claws. And you better be thankful, horse-for-brains. Not everyone gets to feel the luxurious claw-scratching abilities I have.

Athena hushed her companion softly, trying to turn the frown upside down. Though, despite her efforts, she could feel the lack of genuineness in it and settled for a concerned look instead. It is mine, yes. But it is nothing that couldn't be earned again. I know you don't need sleep, but I offer you this so that you can sleep somewhere comfortable tonight if you so choose. Or any other night. It's just money, it doesn't have value to me. She kept her voice as calm and level as she could, giving a simple explanation.

Alroy persisted, saying once more that he didn't want it and that he would rather make some of his own to get the things he desired. She nodded, feeling discouraged by her efforts, and dropped her gaze to the bag in her hands. The valkyrie slipped the coins back in the little purse and pulled the drawstrings apart to tighten the bag before sliding it back in her pocket. Maybe he is prideful after all...Maybe even unknowingly so. She didn't return his gaze, feeling his intent eyes staring at the back of her head. I use mortal healing recipes for pastes, poultices, and the like. I am a healer, after all. I haven't the courage to walk around offering my healing powers, so I've settled with this. It's relaxing too... Athena trailed off fiddling with the stray string on her sleeve.

She glanced up and gave him a quick smile before looking back down, the string wrapped tightly around the tip of her index to the point of purple flesh. The woman released it, feeling childish for doing so. I'm sorry if my offers were insulting-to mean that you couldn't get what you wanted by working yourself. I just wanted to help you feel comfortable and at peace. She whispered, the thump and tightening in her chest a result of her intensified anxiety and sadness at the rejection, which had replaced the good happiness and stutter she had felt before.

I'll follow you down
User ImageUser Image

Alroy didn't even realize when he looked away from Athena again this time, saddened at Athena's words about his prior efforts. He knew he was awkward and inherently scary, but a part of him had been anxious to lay at least some of the blame for his many rejections at the people who he had chosen to engaged - people who seemed like they'd be perfectly kind and caring people until they saw him. But it probably was all his fault, like Athena suggested. If he'd hid his headless nature, if he'd pretended he was human instead of revealing his true race off the bat, if he'd taken more time to watch and learn and practice before making the attempt, maybe he wouldn't have had such rotten reactions.

"I guess... you're right," he said quietly. "It's just... No one has ever offered to help me before and so it seems special to me, where you've already made at least one friend before so... So I don't feel like it's the same. But if you think that feeling this way is wrong, then I won't push it. I don't want to disrespect you."

Meanwhile, Old Potato had wandered a few steps away, his flicking ears indicating he was looking around at the clearing more closely until the bird squawked.

"Oh, you're awake again. I was just beginning to enjoy the quiet." Old Potato swished his tail and shifted his weight once more. "Not everyone gets to ride on me either, so what say that you keep scratching, and you can keep sitting? And tell your master to ease up on the sad eyes when my master gets confused. We don't want your stuff; my master just wanted to talk to people for more than a minute without them attempting to shove something sharp or fiery up our arses. All this companionship and house-helping and friend-making and now stuff that she's thrusting upon us is like pouring good ale into an already full glass."

Alroy glanced back at Old Potato. "Uh, wait, you don't need to translate that, um... Edgar? I'll do it... that is-" He looked back at Athena. "It's not insulting. I feel like I did something wrong here... I'm not explaining myself well."

His words quickly devolved into a mere mumble as he tried to think of a way to phrase Old Potato's statement into something more acceptable. Realizing how long it was taking him, however, he nervously cleared his throat before speaking again.

"I don't know... how to react to this right, it seems. I'm sorry. I did not want to hurt your feelings by refusing your offer, it's just... it doesn't seem... That is, there's a lot I want to try doing for myself because I never could before. And I don't want to go into the city alone again right now... I feel comfortable here with you. That is, I feel the most comfortable I've ever been around another person. So, I'd rather stay with you. And think about making a home here, like you said. And talk with you more. That's all I want right now. That's why... I said no." He wrung his hands together as he spoke, looking down at them.

Maybe he was being too optimistic again. Getting ahead of himself, thinking he could take on getting a job and making a house on his own when he could barely even communicate and understand other people still. What kind of work could someone like him even take? As much as he tried, the fear aura still persisted around him even in the best of moods. And he had no helpful powers or talents to sell like Athena did with healing and medicines. All he knew was how to make people run away.

His shoulders slumped, discouragement weighing them down. All these years and he still didn't have any clear idea on what he was doing. It sounded so easy sometimes - make some friends, find a job, build a house. But things were always so much more complicated in practice. Why did he so consistently fail to learn this?

Because I'm a simple creature of chaos. I'm not meant to be organized or complicated. I thought I'd be able to get so much further on my own... but maybe my fear magic and social anxiety isn't my biggest obstacle, but rather an inherent inability to prepare myself for something like this. After all, how long had I wandered this world before even considering an idea outside of terrorizing others? Gods, I feel like a mess... How foolish I must look to her now.

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces