Yes, absolutely. Straight people need recognition too. 0.140625 14.1% [ 54 ]
I can see why some people would want it. 0.091145833333333 9.1% [ 35 ]
I don't have an opinion. 0.03125 3.1% [ 12 ]
I don't care. 0.10677083333333 10.7% [ 41 ]
No, straight pride is unnecessary. 0.60677083333333 60.7% [ 233 ]
Other 0.0234375 2.3% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 384 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40 41 42 > >>

I don't get the whole pride thing to begin with. It is like some sort of extreme attention seeking.
The ones who are more serious about it just want equality, not shoving pride onto everyone. The more serious ones know that not everyone is going to find homosexuality okay morally.

Lonely Shapeshifter

It really depends on if you actually mean pride or if they should have a movement. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in who you are be that gay straight bi black white or purple. The problem comes when people believe that what they are is the only 'Right' way to be. As long as your 'pride' won't make someone else feel as though they don't have a right to celebrate their 'pride' and vice versa then go nuts. Just do you and don't worry about anyone else. heart heart heart

Consumer

i thought of gay pride stuff as being like that james brown song.

they're in the minority so its a day to get together & remind each other they're ok and being different is ok.

& maybe they look like they have a lot of fun doing it now but it probably wasn't always so fun.

Liberal Receiver

Both sides seem silly.
Though pride events were started to bring the minorities into the light, rather than the dark corner most were shoved in, that's pretty much not what they are now.

So, if taken from the original standpoint, straights don't really "need" pride parades. They make up the majority of the populous, they're not shoved into any dark corner.

However, now they seem to be an excuse to be exceptionally garish. So meh.

Magical Shapeshifter

Aenrhien
Honestly I think being proud of your sexual orientation in general is sort of stupid*. No one should care what other consenting adults like in the bedroom unless they want to be part of it.

* yes, I realize the irony of this statement considering the rainbow flag

I feel like the LGBT flag is more supportive than prideful.

Dapper Genius

"Straight Pride" is a joke.
Straight people have no laws jeopardizing their existence. Walking down the street being a cis-gendered heterosexual couple doesn't leave them in fear of their life, because there is no systematic bias against them.

The first 'pride parade' was actually a riot, The Stonewall Riots which were fronted and started by transgender people of color fighting for LGBTQA rights. They were tired of the laws, tired of the phobias, tired of fearing for their lives on a daily basis. That led way and eventually transformed into the pride events that we know today. They are less violent but are still 'in your face' in a sense, so that the voices of sexual/gendered minorities won't, and can't, be silenced. It's as simple as that.

High-functioning Hellraiser

Every day is straight pride day because society and the media cater to heteronormativity.

Adorable Fisher

LGBT Pride isn't about being proud. Its about visibility. There are Pride parades for visibility. The first Pride parade was formed because if people didn't even know gay people are here, then how can we begin to get rights? Back in the day, being out was so taboo and dangerous that hardly anybody was. Pride was about coming out and being visible in a very obvious way in order to show people we need rights.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Vlll
And by extension, cis pride.

Someone on my FB feed yesterday posted an image about what with all the LGBT+ pride posts all over the place, straights felt they needed their own recognition. One of those "share if you're proud to be straight" things.

Now, this bothered me. It doesn't seem like you would need to be proud about something that 95% of people already assume you are. It's like the average fella being proud of putting a shoe on for work. The same can be said about being cis. And let's face it, "coming out" as cis is just as big a pile of bullshit as that woman who thinks she's black. You can't come out as something everyone already assumes you are.

But, back to the straight pride. Personally, I don't quite know what my opinion is on this.

While this did bother me, and I disagree with touting a straight pride flag when you're shat on for being anything OTHER than straight, I can't say with a full mind that the pride should be denied. However I see no reason for there to be straight pride, given that there is literally no risk in being a straight kid in today's society. And with all the heterosexual recognition, why is it necessary to draw more of the limelight to straights, when they had it all in the first place?

So, LD, what do you think?

I think it's stupid. I think people confuse the meaning of pride in this context. It isn't being "proud" in the same sense as being proud of a good grade. It is about coming out of hiding, sharing your true self. It is about not being ashamed of what you are but embracing and being proud of who you are. It is not saying "I am sooo proud cause I like the same gender" but it is about saying "I am not ashamed to be who I am and will no longer hide behind what I am not. The only way straight pride can be in the same context is if someone who was straight felt ashamed of being such, was shamed for being such, and then figured out "hey, we all are who we are and let's just be proud about that..."
Descendeus

Straight Pride isn't taken as seriously, because it's more than just going on about our (LGBTQIA) sexuality and gender. It's about asking for the same rights as cisheterosexuals. Such as marriage for instance. In the US they just legalized gay marriage, and that's a huge step in the right direction. Why did it take so long to get the marriage thing to happen though? Non cis-people have been dehumanized over the course of history, so. There's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, but if I heard someone coming out as cishet, then good for you? You're not really oppressed in that department.
My point was simple what is good for the goose is good for the gander. According to the world if I am born as a heterosexual male that is not something to be proud of. So I say if homosexuals can be proud of their homosexuality why am I not allowed to be proud of my heterosexuality. The same question homosexuals asked when it came to marriage. How is love any different between two people of the same gender and two people of the opposite gender?

The fact is that equality goes both ways not that Social Justice Warriors will admit it. Just as marriage should be about love and not what is between your legs. Someone should be able to feel pride about their preferred gender not just how oppressed their sexual orientation was. If I cannot say Straight Pride, you cannot say Gay Pride it is as simple as that. Because to vilify one and not the other is not equality. Either it is all great or neither is great. Pretending that just because one was more oppressed than the other gives more validity to their cause invalidates the point of equality.

When you say something is no okay you kill equality plain and simple.
Darius Alexander Tate
LGBT EQUALITY. They want to be EQUAL. EQUAL. EQUAL. EQUAL. I need you all to understand that word. They have LGBT Pride events. If they want to be EQUAL, then straight pride events shouldn't be looked down upon.
Except straight pride events stem from spite without the the "equal" part.

Sugary Cat

Any form of pride is unnecesary and these flags on Gaia should have never been here in the first place.

I don't care about gay rights, it's nice they can marry in the states but I don't feel affected personally since I don't live in the states nor am I gay (obviously). I wouldn't hinder gay people, but at the same time I wouldn't vouch for them either.

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

XenoReiji

I think with all this running in circles about how nasty social justice warriors are and ~oh man, if I'm a cishet man, I'm scum rolleyes ~, the comment of 'Maybe you should not use the internet as the only point of reference' is necessary.

I don't know who the hell you talk to, but you have thin skin if you take extremists that seriously.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff