I don't have an opinion. 0.03125 3.1% [ 12 ]
I don't care. 0.10677083333333 10.7% [ 41 ]
No, straight pride is unnecessary. 0.60677083333333 60.7% [ 233 ]
Other 0.0234375 2.3% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 384 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 40 41 42 > >>

Hallowed Lunatic

And by extension, cis pride.

Someone on my FB feed yesterday posted an image about what with all the LGBT+ pride posts all over the place, straights felt they needed their own recognition. One of those "share if you're proud to be straight" things.

Now, this bothered me. It doesn't seem like you would need to be proud about something that 95% of people already assume you are. It's like the average fella being proud of putting a shoe on for work. The same can be said about being cis. And let's face it, "coming out" as cis is just as big a pile of bullshit as that woman who thinks she's black. You can't come out as something everyone already assumes you are.

But, back to the straight pride. Personally, I don't quite know what my opinion is on this.

While this did bother me, and I disagree with touting a straight pride flag when you're shat on for being anything OTHER than straight, I can't say with a full mind that the pride should be denied. However I see no reason for there to be straight pride, given that there is literally no risk in being a straight kid in today's society. And with all the heterosexual recognition, why is it necessary to draw more of the limelight to straights, when they had it all in the first place?

So, LD, what do you think?

Dangerous Lover

Honestly I think being proud of your sexual orientation in general is sort of stupid*. No one should care what other consenting adults like in the bedroom unless they want to be part of it.

* yes, I realize the irony of this statement considering the rainbow flag

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
killing yankees
If LGB idiots are going to make sexuality a pride thing then straight pride must follow. Considering most of their supporters are straight it would make sense if they were anything else but another hate group against Aryan men. Aryan straight men are the most discriminated group in today's society, no I am not kidding. Thanks feminism and LGB

If by "Aryan men" you mean "literal Nazis," then sure. Otherwise...

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I mean, people can do whatever they want, but I feel like the whole "oh man I need someone to affirm my sexuality too" thing seems a tad insecure.
It's not like pride things are held because people literally think that being LGBT is an accomplishment; it's more like "and now we will create an environment specifically dedicated to not treating you like s**t" and in that regard, "straight pride" is an unnecessary concept.
Like I said, people can do what they want, but... it just seems awfully silly.

Ideally, no one would need pride events, and maybe we'll get to that point eventually. For now, though, I think it's perfectly okay for people to give one another that kind of sanctuary.
Gay pride isn't necessarily just about being proud of being gay. I mean that's part of it, but I think it more so refers to their commitment to fighting for the same rights and liberties straight people have. In that sense I don't really need a straight pride movement.

Magical Shapeshifter

I understand being proud of a test score or a big accomplishment, but why are people proud of their religion, sexuality and race? Its what your born with, you didn't have to work hard for it.

Invisible Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Timid 100
Vlll
And by extension, cis pride.

Someone on my FB feed yesterday posted an image about what with all the LGBT+ pride posts all over the place, straights felt they needed their own recognition. One of those "share if you're proud to be straight" things.

Now, this bothered me. It doesn't seem like you would need to be proud about something that 95% of people already assume you are. It's like the average fella being proud of putting a shoe on for work. The same can be said about being cis. And let's face it, "coming out" as cis is just as big a pile of bullshit as that woman who thinks she's black. You can't come out as something everyone already assumes you are.

But, back to the straight pride. Personally, I don't quite know what my opinion is on this.

While this did bother me, and I disagree with touting a straight pride flag when you're shat on for being anything OTHER than straight, I can't say with a full mind that the pride should be denied. However I see no reason for there to be straight pride, given that there is literally no risk in being a straight kid in today's society. And with all the heterosexual recognition, why is it necessary to draw more of the limelight to straights, when they had it all in the first place?

So, LD, what do you think?

Honestly no-one minding their own business cares.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
The reason why pride events exist is because people didn't have an outlet to express themselves and were told that they shouldn't love who they do. They're neccessary for people just coming to terms to their sexuality and identity.

That being said it might not be a big deal to most, however there are still people usually in their teens living at home with abusive/oppressive parents who are stuck in the closet. It's going to take a lot of time to change people's minds and their hearts about this until there are no kids getting kicked out of their homes because they are different.

Lonely Wolf

LGBT EQUALITY. They want to be EQUAL. EQUAL. EQUAL. EQUAL. I need you all to understand that word. They have LGBT Pride events. If they want to be EQUAL, then straight pride events shouldn't be looked down upon.
It is called equality, you know that thing that LGBT groups rave about. If they can rant an rave about their sexual orientation and be happy and proud of it. Then to keep things equal straight people should too. Sadly, if I were to stand up and say "I am proud to be straight" I would be mocked or accused of being a bigot. That is not equality, but hey it is not like the normal human experience has been allowed to be anything but the oppressor.

Magical Shounen

9,550 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Straight pride is a joke to me tbh. I mean, you can be proud of being straight, but you're the majority and don't really get killed for being straight.

Magical Shounen

9,550 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
XenoReiji
It is called equality, you know that thing that LGBT groups rave about. If they can rant an rave about their sexual orientation and be happy and proud of it. Then to keep things equal straight people should too. Sadly, if I were to stand up and say "I am proud to be straight" I would be mocked or accused of being a bigot. That is not equality, but hey it is not like the normal human experience has been allowed to be anything but the oppressor.

Straight Pride isn't taken as seriously, because it's more than just going on about our (LGBTQIA) sexuality and gender. It's about asking for the same rights as cisheterosexuals. Such as marriage for instance. In the US they just legalized gay marriage, and that's a huge step in the right direction. Why did it take so long to get the marriage thing to happen though? Non cis-people have been dehumanized over the course of history, so. There's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, but if I heard someone coming out as cishet, then good for you? You're not really oppressed in that department.

Hellraiser

My bf and his friend and I were talking about this kinda thing the other night.
His friend hates all the gay pride events, he thinks it's something that's "in your face" or something like that.
There was more to the conversation but I can't remember what he said.
And we're talking about how it must suck for people of the LGBT community who haven't come out yet because they're still scared.
And I brought up how there can't be straight pride because we weren't abused for being straight, it wasn't a phase because it was "normal" and accepted by everyone.

Eloquent Streaker

Straight pride was made up by social conservative groups in the late '80s as a way to counter the gay pride movement. It's an appeal to ridicule that attempts to make LGBT pride look silly and pointless.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff