Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are you surprised that it promotes racism?

Yes 0.35897435897436 35.9% [ 14 ]
No 0.51282051282051 51.3% [ 20 ]
I dont know 0.12820512820513 12.8% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 >

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise
...so does that mean that according to the theory all ethnic groups appeared at the same time?
"Ethnic groups" aren't the same thing as "races". You've been asking about race up until now, and I'm kind of curious why you used the other term... but since you did, I'm going explain what the differences are before getting to your question two times.

An ethnic group/ethnicity is a socially-defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience. Membership of an ethnic group tends to be defined by a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language and/or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, etc.

Race (as a social construct) is a pseudoscientific term used to classify group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics. Starting from the 19th century, the term was used in a taxonomic sense to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype, suggesting that there were several subspecies of humans. However, there is no biological basis to back this up, because all humans are members of the species Homo Sapiens. (Well, technically we're Homo Sapiens Sapiens, but I digress.)

Concerning ethnicity, the answer to your question is "no". Various ethnic groups have appeared (and continue to appear) over time, but they are all members of the same species.

Concerning race, the answer to your question is both "no" and "yes". Since humans all are of the same species, the idea of "appearing at the same time" isn't really applicable, but since humans share the same common ancestor, that means we all did appear at once, then branched out from there over time.

Did that make sense?

Yes Thanks at least I understand the difference between race and ethnic groups ❤

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
crystalpraise
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise
...so does that mean that according to the theory all ethnic groups appeared at the same time?
"Ethnic groups" aren't the same thing as "races". You've been asking about race up until now, and I'm kind of curious why you used the other term... but since you did, I'm going explain what the differences are before getting to your question two times.

An ethnic group/ethnicity is a socially-defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience. Membership of an ethnic group tends to be defined by a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language and/or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, etc.

Race (as a social construct) is a pseudoscientific term used to classify group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics. Starting from the 19th century, the term was used in a taxonomic sense to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype, suggesting that there were several subspecies of humans. However, there is no biological basis to back this up, because all humans are members of the species Homo Sapiens. (Well, technically we're Homo Sapiens Sapiens, but I digress.)

Concerning ethnicity, the answer to your question is "no". Various ethnic groups have appeared (and continue to appear) over time, but they are all members of the same species.

Concerning race, the answer to your question is both "no" and "yes". Since humans all are of the same species, the idea of "appearing at the same time" isn't really applicable, but since humans share the same common ancestor, that means we all did appear at once, then branched out from there over time.

Did that make sense?
Yes Thanks at least I understand the difference between race and ethnic groups
...but it didn't answer your question about evolution?

Lonely Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Conversationalist 100
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia
You do realize that evolution doesn't work like Pokémon, right? It's not like evolving makes you more superior to another. It just means you've adapted to your environment. You could be well-adapted, but you're not superior. What benefit did human males gain from having distended testicles and a hanging p***s? I can't think of any. What about dragonflies? They can't walk. Oh, well perhaps that imposes the idea that the function of legs is to walk, but then when you see that penguins, ostriches, and emus can't fly, then perhaps it's time to reconsider. So no, evolution doesn't promote racism.
Yes I understand that but it does open up room for a racist point of view if you believe that you are more or less evolved than another ethnicity.

So, in your opinion, which race is it saying is "superior"? Is it the Africans that stayed in the lands where humans originally developed (and are thus a more pure form of human), or is it the humans who migrated the furthest from the cradle into far Asia and even North America (and possibly state that only the best humans survived the trip)?

'Cause it sure as hell isn't the freaky White guy from Europe. There's a good possibility those effers did the nasty with Neanderthals and if those were so great they wouldn't have died out like chumps.

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise

Did that make sense?

❤ I'm obviously not a follower of the theory but if you are unbiased enough to truly explain it from your point of view then it is not necessarily "racist" I guess.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
crystalpraise
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise
Arcoon Effox
...Did that make sense?
I'm obviously not a follower of the theory...
That's kind of irrelevant. Not to be rude or anything, but I don't care whether you accept it or not, because that's not what I'm here to do. I'm just trying to set you straight, so that you're not misrepresenting what evolution theory says.
crystalpraise
...but if you are unbiased enough to truly explain it from your point of view then it is not necessarily "racist" I guess.
Whether or not I'm unbiased about it is equally irrelevant to whether or not evolution theory "is racist". Like I said, I'm just trying to explain to you that it isn't what you've been told it is.

Liberal Friend

BlackShadow03
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia
You do realize that evolution doesn't work like Pokémon, right? It's not like evolving makes you more superior to another. It just means you've adapted to your environment. You could be well-adapted, but you're not superior. What benefit did human males gain from having distended testicles and a hanging p***s? I can't think of any. What about dragonflies? They can't walk. Oh, well perhaps that imposes the idea that the function of legs is to walk, but then when you see that penguins, ostriches, and emus can't fly, then perhaps it's time to reconsider. So no, evolution doesn't promote racism.
Yes I understand that but it does open up room for a racist point of view if you believe that you are more or less evolved than another ethnicity.

So, in your opinion, which race is it saying is "superior"? Is it the Africans that stayed in the lands where humans originally developed (and are thus a more pure form of human), or is it the humans who migrated the furthest from the cradle into far Asia and even North America (and possibly state that only the best humans survived the trip)?

'Cause it sure as hell isn't the freaky White guy from Europe. There's a good possibility those effers did the nasty with Neanderthals and if those were so great they wouldn't have died out like chumps.

You know how in science fiction, hybrids are more powerful and superior to everyone else? Even in Underworld, you have that vampire/lycan hybrid. Yeah, that's how it is with the Europeans who are a hybrid of Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals. So we're superior because we have the intellect of Homo Sapiens and the strength of Neanderthals. Of course, surviving in a land prevalent with many diseases, this is probably why the Africans have lived so long. Fortunately, with our intellect we increased our immunity to diseases.

Don't take this seriously.

Shirtless Member

Mea quidem sententia
BlackShadow03
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia

You know how in science fiction, hybrids are more powerful and superior to everyone else? Even in Underworld, you have that vampire/lycan hybrid. Yeah, that's how it is with the Europeans who are a hybrid of Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals. So we're superior because we have the intellect of Homo Sapiens and the strength of Neanderthals. Of course, surviving in a land prevalent with many diseases, this is probably why the Africans have lived so long. Fortunately, with our intellect we increased our immunity to diseases.

I thought Neanderthals were supposed to be really smart? I saw a documentary one time...

Not taking the post seriously, just keep getting mixed information about those hairy buggers.

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Mea quidem sententia
BlackShadow03
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia

Rude person don't act like you are all knowing because you aren't ❤

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise
Arcoon Effox
crystalpraise
Arcoon Effox
...Did that make sense?
I'm obviously not a follower of the theory...
That's kind of irrelevant. Not to be rude or anything, but I don't care whether you accept it or not, because that's not what I'm here to do. I'm just trying to set you straight, so that you're not misrepresenting what evolution theory says.
crystalpraise
...but if you are unbiased enough to truly explain it from your point of view then it is not necessarily "racist" I guess.
Whether or not I'm unbiased about it is equally irrelevant to whether or not evolution theory "is racist". Like I said, I'm just trying to explain to you that it isn't what you've been told it is.

Hello Mr.Arcoon ❤
So are certain ethnic groups older than other ethnic groups according to the theory I'm just wondering?

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
ratgirl34
Mea quidem sententia
BlackShadow03
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia

I thought Neanderthals were supposed to be really smart? I saw a documentary one time...

Not taking the post seriously, just keep getting mixed information about those hairy buggers.

So what happened to the Neanderthals according to the evolution theory Miss Rat lady ❤

Liberal Friend

ratgirl34
Mea quidem sententia
BlackShadow03
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia

I'm not sure. You could be right.
crystalpraise
So what happened to the Neanderthals according to the evolution theory Miss Rat lady ❤

There's evidence (in modern human DNA) that some Neanderthal populations disappeared through breeding; but for the most part, it was the usual combination of natural-selection factors. The exact reasons are not entirely known at this time, though we can take some clues from recorded history for some of the hypotheses:

-Genocide;
-Diseases brought by other human species;
-Simply being less efficient than Cro-Magnons in the "be human" niche, including modern man's physical advantages in mobility, as well as having domesticated wolves for use as hunting dogs. As wolves are ideal for hunting smaller game, the decline of larger fauna due to climate change would have affected the Cro-Magnons less than the Neanderthals.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
crystalpraise
...So are certain ethnic groups older than other ethnic groups according to the theory I'm just wondering?
I'm pretty sure I already explained this, but evolution theory says nothing about ethnic groups. Ethnicity is an anthropological issue, not (directly) a biological one.
crystalpraise
So what happened to the Neanderthals according to the evolution theory?
Evolution doesn't say what happened to the Neanderthals either. Their disappearance has nothing to do with the biological changes that happen over successive generations, and the diversity that happens as a result - which is all that evolution talks about.

Both of these questions seem rooted in your lack of understanding about what evolution actually is, yet several people (including myself) have explained this stuff to you. I really don't know why this stuff isn't sinking in.

Shirtless Member

crystalpraise
ratgirl34
Mea quidem sententia
BlackShadow03
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia

Evolution doesn't say. But anthropology says they died, probably for a huge number of reasons that have been stated in other posts. But never fear, something like .01% (I don't remember the exact number, but it is really low) of the population has just a little Neanderthal in them, so they aren't completely gone.
crystalpraise
Mea quidem sententia

Just because someone can be clueless enough to decide to see evolution as saying that some people are more or less evolved than others, that doesn't mean that evolution is promoting this idea. So you're still wrong. Evolution does not promote racism. Racist people do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff