Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Flatterer

5,950 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Market Browser 100
Something has been irking me for a while. I have several people that I grew up with on my social media sites. These people have been my close friends for years & they've also always been on the larger side when it comes to weight...

The people I'm referring to have had some sort of weight loss surgery (one of my friends has had a gastric bypass & the other has had a lap band.) They've both done amazingly well & lost most of their excess weight & for that... I'm SUPER proud of them.

But, lately, I've noticed more & more posts from each of these people about buying weight loss products & becoming a "member" of their fitness groups. I've noticed that they have not only claimed to lose all of their weight by diet & exercise, but also put up "comparison pictures" from before & after surgeries.

I know that this could be great for people that need the motivation & self esteem boosts, but I know that this is absolutely wrong. Some of these people could find out that they're not telling the full truth after purchasing products & be extremely upset or act out because of this.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same experience & what your thoughts are. I mean, they are actually flat out lying about their "success."

Garbage

Call them out on their ********. They're lying not only to promote themselves, but other people/products as well, and weight-loss bullshit can be pricey as ********.
Cassidy Peterson
Call them out on their ********. They're lying not only to promote themselves, but other people/products as well, and weight-loss bullshit can be pricey as ********]

This.

It's completely unfair. Most people trying to lose weight are fairly desperate and they sink a lot of money into products and I think there's going to be even more bond of trust between overweight people. You would think someone who knows what it's like, how hard it is to lose weight, would be one of the last to ******** you over. But these women you know are doing that. They're taking advantage of people's trust and desperation and that's sad and wrong. They didn't exercise, they got surgery and they need to be honest about that. There's no reason they can't still buy and sell the products, but they need to be honest about their own weight loss.
Mandyxcakes
Something has been irking me for a while. I have several people that I grew up with on my social media sites. These people have been my close friends for years & they've also always been on the larger side when it comes to weight...

The people I'm referring to have had some sort of weight loss surgery (one of my friends has had a gastric bypass & the other has had a lap band.) They've both done amazingly well & lost most of their excess weight & for that... I'm SUPER proud of them.

But, lately, I've noticed more & more posts from each of these people about buying weight loss products & becoming a "member" of their fitness groups. I've noticed that they have not only claimed to lose all of their weight by diet & exercise, but also put up "comparison pictures" from before & after surgeries.

I know that this could be great for people that need the motivation & self esteem boosts, but I know that this is absolutely wrong. Some of these people could find out that they're not telling the full truth after purchasing products & be extremely upset or act out because of this.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same experience & what your thoughts are. I mean, they are actually flat out lying about their "success."

Eh, I guess if the people are good friends of yours, its okay to be like, "Bro(or Bro-ette) Y U B lyin?" For most folks though, I just couldn't muster up the desire to care.

If someone wants to perpetuate a story for themselves, I don't know why its up to me to correct them. Hell, so long as they keep at their good eating habits and doing all that healthy stuff, I might encourage them to lie to themselves.

If you care about rando strangers believing them, then I guess I'd also call them out in front of the rando people because I cared about them.
Hey, surgery costs, lady. People gotta make it up somehow.
Cassidy Peterson
Call them out on their ********. They're lying not only to promote themselves, but other people/products as well, and weight-loss bullshit can be pricey as ********]
Eh. It's the same game as wrinkle cream. Everyone knows the s**t doesn't work but desperate saps are gonna shell out for anything that looks like it'll help. I mean, you should know up front what you're getting into, like, "This s**t probably won't work. I mean, I'm not an idiot,"
Surgery and sugery are spelled the same.

Garbage

far_river_arms_section_vi
Cassidy Peterson
Eh. It's the same game as wrinkle cream. Everyone knows the s**t doesn't work but desperate saps are gonna shell out for anything that looks like it'll help. I mean, you should know up front what you're getting into, like, "This s**t probably won't work. I mean, I'm not an idiot,"
Yeah, but if somebody you knew said "holy s**t this s**t DOES actually work you guys, seriously, buy it, I love it and it helps so ********' goddamn much!" you'd probably be at least a bit more inclined to buy it than any of the billion similar products you ignore every day.
Cassidy Peterson
far_river_arms_section_vi
Cassidy Peterson
Yeah, but if somebody you knew said "holy s**t this s**t DOES actually work you guys, seriously, buy it, I love it and it helps so ********' goddamn much!" you'd probably be at least a bit more inclined to buy it than any of the billion similar products you ignore every day.

You should already know what's up.

OR, alternatively:

That's what you get for listening to that jackass. It's not ALL his fault. You trusted him, that was a mistake.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Remind them, publicly, that "thinness" is not "fitness". You do not get fitness from a surgery slab. Fitness requires physical exertion, which they have not performed.

It's possible to be in peak physical form, and appear fat as hell, and it's possible to be pencil thin, and 1 foot in the grave. You can not ever get fitness without effort.
black_wing_angel
You do not get fitness from a surgery slab.

It helps

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The Poison Creosote
black_wing_angel
You do not get fitness from a surgery slab.

It helps

It CAN help. But does not, itself, produce fitness.
black_wing_angel
Remind them, publicly, that "thinness" is not "fitness". You do not get fitness from a surgery slab. Fitness requires physical exertion, which they have not performed.

It's possible to be in peak physical form, and appear fat as hell, and it's possible to be pencil thin, and 1 foot in the grave. You can not ever get fitness without effort.

I was jiving until you said that its possible to be "in peak physical form, and appear as fat as hell".

If someone appears "fat as hell", then they are not, as a point of fact, 'fit', as fitness and the amount of excess fat needed to be "fat as hell" are in-congruent.

About the closest you can get is saying that athleticism and being 'fat as hell' can sometimes exist side-by-side.
yeah fitness industry is all smoke and mirrors

its all just surgery and steroids

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Riviera de la Mancha
black_wing_angel

I was jiving until you said that its possible to be "in peak physical form, and appear as fat as hell".

If someone appears "fat as hell", then they are not, as a point of fact, 'fit', as fitness and the amount of excess fat needed to be "fat as hell" are in-congruent.

Actually, you're wrong on 2 fronts:

1: Being fat =/= being unhealthy in general. There are certain health complications that come with BEING fat, but simply being fat does not guarantee these concerns will arise.

2: When I said "appear fat as hell", what I'm referring to mostly, is those who have "a 6-pack in back of the fridge". Meaning that they're actually rather ripped, but happen to have it hidden under a layer of fat that makes them just look like they're fat as hell, when they really aren't.

To point: UFC fighter "Big Country" Roy Nelson.

The guy has historically looked like he'd be gasping for air after 3 minutes, yet if you talk to anyone who's fought him, that belly is solid rock. And he can outlast some of the best. He's in MUCH better shape than he looks ( although he HAS slimmed down a fair deal, in recent times ). Because he has some really good ab muscles, and had a healthy layer of fat covering them, giving the outward appearance of just being a lazy, fat b*****d.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff