Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Only weeks after a Queens principal was bounced for barring students from a carnival for not paying a $10 entry fee, Staten Island’s Morris Intermediate School 61 has done the same — charging sixth-graders $10 for admission to a school fair.

Kids who couldn’t pay were denied entry to the festivities Wednesday and kept indoors, students and staff told The Post.

One of IS 61’s assistant principals initially denied that the school charged a fee but later said, “There was a charge, but no child was turned away.”

But several students said they or others were barred.

“I couldn’t go because I didn’t bring the money in time,” said one student, whose name is being withheld by The Post.

Her friend added, “I was sad because she’s my best friend and she couldn’t go.”

About 100 students — a quarter of IS 61’s 400 sixth-graders — missed the fun, a staffer estimated. Some were excluded because of bad behavior, but others didn’t pay or just stayed home.

“Many well-behaved kids did not go because they did not or could not pay,” the insider said.

The playground carnival featured games, hamburgers and slushies. It was billed as a reward for students who demonstrated good behavior and academics.

A dean said no qualified kid was barred if they confided that they could not afford the fee. The school let 35 students attend at no charge because they said they were unable to pay, he said.

Asked about those who might not have come forward, he said, “If they didn’t say anything to the school, I wouldn’t know.”

A teacher blasted that excuse.

“Kids are embarrassed,” the teacher said. “They don’t say anything.”

At Flushing’s PS 120, Principal Joan Monroe was reassigned June 12 after she barred nonpaying kids from a May 21 carnival.

The Department of Education later instructed all principals that children “may not be excluded from participating in fund-raising events during school hours.”

This was the first year IS 61 administrators charged a carnival fee, spurring complaints by parents and staff.

In the past, teachers organized a free carnival with games.

IS 61 also charged sixth-graders $30 apiece for a field day two weeks ago. For that event, it rents a facility with basketball courts and a field. Food is provided.

“A lot of kids didn’t go to that because they can’t afford it,” the staffer said.

Where the money raised will be spent was unknown.

“That’s what we all wonder,” the insider said.

The school did not return phone calls Friday. The DOE said it was looking into the matter.

“We take this very seriously,” said DOE rep Devora Kaye.

Weekends

Punny Skeleton

emotion_facepalm

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I feel like especially for the younger grades school events - especially ones on school property - should be all inclusive. I'm pretty sure that is how it works at the schools my grandkids attend. I've been to a couple of evens - one a school carnival and another one was a school dance (think little kids having a great time dancing to really old songs like Beach Boys and such).
Neither was super extravagant but both were fun.

I get having paid events in high school where sometimes the school sponsor's rather elaborate field trips and such for students who raise the money. But those are not typically school wide events.

Mewling Kitten

6,600 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
i dunno why school officials seem to think this kinda thing is okay
the school i work at is a public school, they have had events that u cant even really enjoy unless you spend money, at least one where they told students it was mandatory to attend. of course a bunch of them skipped anyway, i dont blame them

Invisible Player

I am glad the teacher talked back saying that kids were embarrassed. That is what the school/schools need/s, more teachers willing to stand up for the students. If that had been the school I worked for, I would have raised some high objections. I am fine for rewarding students who earn it like the Common Core testing party, but it is not ok to deny students activities like this because they can't afford it. I have been known to pay several dollars out of pocket when students didn't have 50 cents for face painting at the school carnival.

Our school carnival is free to attend, but some activities cost .50. Aside from the fundraiser carnival, we also have two free events during the year where all activities and food are free to students and family.

Big Noob

Gaia's CEO took over the school programs. Pay to play little boys and girls or go crai to mama. talk2hand

sweatdrop

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I try to have sympathy for these poor likely bastards, but I just can't. Blame the shitty parents who can't provide but breed anyway, not the school. Fun things require money most of the time, that's life.
Cold Sandstorm
I try to have sympathy for these poor likely bastards, but I just can't. Blame the shitty parents who can't provide but breed anyway, not the school. Fun things require money most of the time, that's life.

The problem is that these days it's all. the. freakin. time.

Because pretty much every school district in the US and Canada is facing budget cuts, they come knocking on parents doors more and more and more and more and more to the point where many parents are spending several hundred dollars over the course of the year to pay for things. So many parents probably have just paid $10 and $30 and $10 and $20 and so on over the past few weeks.

It adds up. $10 isn't much on its own but after getting dinged for $30 two weeks ago and probably more a couple weeks before that and a couple weeks before that it adds up fast for low-income families.

The day before my son graduated elementary they demanded $40 for a camp day. Gotta get that money right up until they minute they walk out. rofl The graduation party was put together by us parents, rental costs covered by us parents, food brought/bought by us parents. So within the final week I got dinged for the $40 camp day, $20 for the party, $25 for teachers gifts. I'm surprised they didn't make me pay just to pick up my son or pay to get back the school supplies I bought earlier.

Lonely Wolf

They shouldn't charge the students anything to attend that fair! Like, not everyone can afford to give their kids $10 for an activity that has absolutely nothing to.do with school. We should just use taxpayer dollars from the citizens of that district to fund it! That way, we can take taxpayer dollars away from other programs like free lunch or after school programs. biggrin

I'm getting sick and tired of this politically correct bullshit. I'm pretty sure they all new at least one month ahead.of this fair. If they didn't have the money, too bad. They could've offered to do yard work for neighbors, or they could've just stayed home that day. They knew they had to pay, so why would they show up with no money and expect to be granted entry? No money, no entry. This is how life works. Would you expect the school to give good grades to students who failed a class because they didn't work hard enough to learn the material? I know.this sounds carappy, but it's how the REAL WORLD works. Do you think Golden Corral will let people with no money eat for free so they're not embarrassed?

Invisible Player

Rhianna
Cold Sandstorm

The problem is that these days it's all. the. freakin. time.

Because pretty much every school district in the US and Canada is facing budget cuts, they come knocking on parents doors more and more and more and more and more to the point where many parents are spending several hundred dollars over the course of the year to pay for things. So many parents probably have just paid $10 and $30 and $10 and $20 and so on over the past few weeks.

It adds up. $10 isn't much on its own but after getting dinged for $30 two weeks ago and probably more a couple weeks before that and a couple weeks before that it adds up fast for low-income families.

The day before my son graduated elementary they demanded $40 for a camp day. Gotta get that money right up until they minute they walk out. rofl The graduation party was put together by us parents, rental costs covered by us parents, food brought/bought by us parents. So within the final week I got dinged for the $40 camp day, $20 for the party, $25 for teachers gifts. I'm surprised they didn't make me pay just to pick up my son or pay to get back the school supplies I bought earlier.
At my school we are not supposed to ask the adultss for money. We can ask for "things" on a volunteer basis. For instance, my Christmas project is care packages for soldiers. I can ask for donations of things to put in the packages, but I don't ask for money. We cannot ask adults to pay for field trips, unless an adult wants to attend then they have to pay a reduced cost. We do a PTO Walk-a-Thon fundraiser at the beginning of the year. Parents and adults are asked to pledge money. We do a PTO fundraiser carnival in the Spring. Those are the only times we ask for money. UNICEF does a fundraiser with the little boxes, but that money does not go to the school.

I don't even ask for snacks for parties. For my parties, I do crafts and activities instead of food. The food we do have I will provide so I can keep it reasonable. Like we will do ice cream float party, cookie decorating party, or a popcorn party. Kids do not need 3 cupcakes, Doritos, fruit snacks, and cookies for Valentines day.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
While I feel sorry for the kids who couldn't go I don't see the big issue here. This was how it was when I was growing up and I don't see what the problem is. I know a school that had to STOP doing anything fun b/c the school could not afford to pay every kid's way...most teacher's make enough $ that their kids can qualify for free lunches so it's not like the school, who they pay etc are rich. When I was in school if there was a kid who couldn't afford to go, some of the parents would donate $ and help those kids get to go but I don't think it is fair for parents to be upset because the school payed to rent basketball stuff, places, etc. and wants help paying. The only real problem I have here is that no one is told where the money would be used. I feel if you're going to raise money you should be required to tell those who help what their donations/payments are going towards.

Enduring Gaian

13,875 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
My family was poor when I was growing up, but I remember attending fairs in elementary school. There was no entrance fee, but some of the games required a dollar to play (like the balloon pop or the surprise grab bag) while the food and pony rides were free.

I know grade schools are not the greatest for thinking outside of the box, but really if my school could problem solve, I would think other schools could too.

Maybe also have a fundraiser before hand? Ask for help from the community to bring down the price (donations, volunteers)? There are ways around the money problem if you're willing to look for them.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

When I went to grade school in the 80s, our parents didn't have to pay for field day, parties, field trips, etc. What's this world coming to?

User Image
A Redhead Angel
At my school we are not supposed to ask the adultss for money. We can ask for "things" on a volunteer basis. For instance, my Christmas project is care packages for soldiers. I can ask for donations of things to put in the packages, but I don't ask for money. We cannot ask adults to pay for field trips, unless an adult wants to attend then they have to pay a reduced cost. We do a PTO Walk-a-Thon fundraiser at the beginning of the year. Parents and adults are asked to pledge money. We do a PTO fundraiser carnival in the Spring. Those are the only times we ask for money. UNICEF does a fundraiser with the little boxes, but that money does not go to the school.

I don't even ask for snacks for parties. For my parties, I do crafts and activities instead of food. The food we do have I will provide so I can keep it reasonable. Like we will do ice cream float party, cookie decorating party, or a popcorn party. Kids do not need 3 cupcakes, Doritos, fruit snacks, and cookies for Valentines day.

The adults are lucky there then. We get dinged up here all the time for X, Y or Z. From Kindergarten through Grade 3 or 4 we're not even allowed to label our child's individual school supplies because "everything is shared" which I suppose is nice in theory but means that we generally buy far more than is needed. For instance each first grader has to buy 8 glue sticks. There's about 26 kids per class. Does a class really need 208 glue sticks? I got half the exercise books back with only a couple pages used in each. We even buy the kleenex for the classroom.

Man, I haven't seen those UNICEF boxes since I was a kid. Every Halloween I get cash ready but no one seems to do them anymore. I'm kinda sad, they were so cute. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff