Welcome to Gaia! ::

I made a thread on this before, but it was more to talk about how I don't ever plan to drink, and in that I had a lot of flack.
I expect more in this.
I have always hated alcohol, I have never had a drop of it to drink, and never plan to. My father is an alcoholic, and most of the people around my age drink too.
I hate alcohol, I hate it with every fibre of my being.
The stresser for this topic was two of my friends (Two of the three people in my life I could actually count as great friends.) Went to a party, both of them have heard my preaching about how bad it is for you and heck one of them told me he would never drink. Guess what, he was the one who got drunk. My other friend had one thing to drink.
But what got me to the point I am now, is how vile and agitated they were when I told them I was depressed at what they had done.
You can tell my I'm a closed minded idiot if you want, I don't care.
I hate alcohol, if I someone drinks I immediately respect them much less than I would have, it does nothing good for the world at all except numb us and make us act like idiots..
So my friends are still kind of calling me idiots, and the only other person I could talk to (My girlfriend) is gone for the weekend. I am having a minor melt down and am feeling a bit alone on this.
I hate how widely accepted and more or less expected it is of you to drink, to the point where if you don't you are seen as a monk, or some person who is trying to be in peak physical condition. I hate how they show add's for mother's against drunk driving adds and right after they show adds for some brand of alcohol that has forty times the budget and makes you forget about the MADD commercial.

I need to feel like I am not alone on this.
Because I really do feel it.

(I may regret posting this an hour from now but I kind of need closure.)

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I'll tell you what. My dad was an alcoholic as well, and I've gone into my relationship with him enough on this forum that right now I'll just leave it at "it was s**t".
And yeah, people make a lot of mistakes drunk.
I don't view that as the fault of the substance, though -- it's just a thing that exists. If people use it poorly, that is their mistake. If people make poor decisions, that's their fault. My dad wasn't terrible when I was growing up because alcohol made him that way; the things he did were his own fault. Your dad's mistakes are also his own, and I'd say you should blame him for them, not a chemical.
That said, I'm not going to try to persuade you to drink, either. I just think you're placing blame on the wrong thing. Alcohol doesn't "make us act like idiots"; us being idiots does that.
And yeah, I do think it's rather silly of you to lessen your respect for a person simply because they happen to drink -- but at the same time, I suppose I'm a hypocrite for thinking less of people who use certain other substances, so, whatever.

Dedicated Hobo

Well, I don't think it's inherently wrong to drink alcohol. It's possible to drink more casually rather than letting it run your life. What bothers me is when people act like you can't have a good time without it. I mean, I've heard people say going to weddings isn't worth it unless there's free alcohol, which to me is just disrespectful. I don't know, maybe I'm biased because I don't drink - I just don't like the taste of alcohol, and it bothers me when people act like I personally offended them by not drinking.

Magical Tree

That's the thing about people who drink. You can't tell them anything or even hint at any kind of "judgement". And - they really want you a drink with them. Because.

I can understand your anger and hurt - because you live(d) with an alcoholic.

But, it is other people's lives. You'll feel less anger/flack/whateveryou call it - if you don't step up on the soap box.
Maybe make some friends who are either of the same mind as you, or are open minded and don't care if you drink or not. But you can't stop someone from having one drink. (what if i told you you absolutely couldn't have ice cream? because i'm lactose intolerant, and let me tell you how much fat and calories not to mention sugar is in there....diabetes. do you feel i'm crazy? because you sound like that when you preach about the dangers of alcohol. yeah. alcohol is bad for you. but so is ice cream. your body can handle some. it's really people need to learn self control.)

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50

I don't drink to stupidity.

I had a friend who committed suicide a few years ago caused by her mom's boyfriend's drunken abuse.

Since then, I've developed a few rules. I will never drink to the point where I can't control the situation (I know my limit with most beers) and I will never drink to the point where I'm sick. I hate hang overs (I've never had the headache associated with hangovers, but they sometimes leave me drained, for back of a letter word) and I hate taking care of people who drink to the point of vomiting or blacking out. Which is why I don't drink to that point and I won't take care of someone who does.

I have a few rules regarding the sober-to-drunk ratio at parties (doesn't apply in small get togethers where no one is leaving the place) and who/how I will sober DD for.

EDIT:
I agree with the above poster. Hang out with people who either share your mentality or don't care. The people I drink with are all open minded people. We actually like having a few sober people with us because it means we have someone who is actually aware of anything going on. I will point out, I've only been drunk during college twice, but I've been a sober for multiple people at several parties.

You can still have fun and be sober. You get to people watch and see us drunk people make fools of themselves lol

Enduring Phantom

Someone enjoying a drink or two once in awhile is not alcoholism, that kind of black and white thinking is bad for you. Like, really dude? Your friends had a few drinks one night and you're having a mental break down?

Not that there aren't people who simply can't handle their alcohol in any amount but your view is a little extreme. Like I'm imagining a friend of mine saying they had lost respect for me because I had one drink at a party, and I can guarantee you I'd tell that person to ******** off. It's not harming anyone, it's not illegal, and it's none of your business. To me it sounds like you have your own unresolved issues regarding your dad's alcoholism, and you need to work that out yourself rather than taking it out on other people who are having some harmless fun. If you don't want to drink then don't but what other people do is none of your business.

yum_coldone

Spoopy Kitten

Ive drank? drunk? drunken? alcohol before. Ive tried getting drunk bu chugging a bottle of vodka. Nothing happened. Not even a little bit. I have a weird disorder thing that makes me break down alcohol super fast, basically making it impossible for me to get drunk. When i say this when the topic arises, people assume im a huge drinker. But im not. I havent touched the stuff in 5+ years. I see no need for it, personally

I think its something most people need to try in their life to know if they actually like it or not. I think said people need to get s**t faced wasted to know what its like before, during, and after. But i think it should be done in the home they share with their parents, in case anything goes wrong. That way, theres no friends pushing them to drink more, no serious issues if they black out, ect. Plus, mom and/or dad have something to embarrass them by if they ever choose to get shitfaced again

Aside form this, i dont like drinking in general. I dont like being around people who drink. I really dont like being around people who are drunk. Its a personal choice for me to stay away from it, but i wont judge someone else for liking it. Ill just avoid it, and possibly avoid you in the process. This doesnt mean you arnt a good person, its just not in my lifestyle

Now my boyfriend on the other hand likes to drink. We made a deal that he can drink when he turns 21 (this monday). We made another deal that whether he be at home or at a friends house drinking, he will only drink 1 glass. Not a big class, but a normal sized glass that you would use for water. And hes not allowed to drink more than 4 times a week. He agreed. He thinks getting drunk is stupid. He really only wants to drink wine anyway, and only wants to drink it once in a while during dinner. He doesnt feel comfortable drinking with his friends, because they all enjoy getting very, very drunk. Being around drunk people makes him feel awkward. Fine by me

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
xChibi Cannibalx
Ive drank? drunk? drunken? alcohol before. Ive tried getting drunk bu chugging a bottle of vodka. Nothing happened. Not even a little bit. I have a weird disorder thing that makes me break down alcohol super fast, basically making it impossible for me to get drunk. When i say this when the topic arises, people assume im a huge drinker. But im not. I havent touched the stuff in 5+ years. I see no need for it, personally

I think its something most people need to try in their life to know if they actually like it or not. I think said people need to get s**t faced wasted to know what its like before, during, and after. But i think it should be done in the home they share with their parents, in case anything goes wrong. That way, theres no friends pushing them to drink more, no serious issues if they black out, ect. Plus, mom and/or dad have something to embarrass them by if they ever choose to get shitfaced again

Aside form this, i dont like drinking in general. I dont like being around people who drink. I really dont like being around people who are drunk. Its a personal choice for me to stay away from it, but i wont judge someone else for liking it. Ill just avoid it, and possibly avoid you in the process. This doesnt mean you arnt a good person, its just not in my lifestyle

Now my boyfriend on the other hand likes to drink. We made a deal that he can drink when he turns 21 (this monday). We made another deal that whether he be at home or at a friends house drinking, he will only drink 1 glass. Not a big class, but a normal sized glass that you would use for water. And hes not allowed to drink more than 4 times a week. He agreed. He thinks getting drunk is stupid. He really only wants to drink wine anyway, and only wants to drink it once in a while during dinner. He doesnt feel comfortable drinking with his friends, because they all enjoy getting very, very drunk. Being around drunk people makes him feel awkward. Fine by me

Okay, but really, the reason you're immune to drunkenness is because you're a hardened assassin, right?

Spoopy Kitten

Raven Winter
xChibi Cannibalx

Okay, but really, the reason you're immune to drunkenness is because you're a hardened assassin, right?

Shhhhhh, i dont want my cover blown! It took me years to build this skill perfectly! ninja I mean what? No you have to be kidding hahahahahahahaha...

Girl

That’s not fair towards people who drink responsibly. Unless you’re talking about the people who let alcohol dictate their every action, it’s not right to lump every person who happens to drink into that category. Maybe it’s better to surround yourself with people who don’t drink frequently??
How old are you?
Serious question. I was in a similar boat to yours when I was younger, but since then I've learned the joys of alcohol and knowing your limit. It's true, for some people it is far too much and said people rarely know when to stop, but that's no reason that the rest of us can't enjoy ourselves.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Bro, just chill out. You don't have to drink but hating on your friends for drinking just makes you a c**t. You're doing the same thing to them that you're complaining about.

If you don't want to drink just don't. You can be the DD and make sure your friends make it home fine. You don't have to drink to have fun. Conversely, your friends should respect your decision.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

23,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Loiterer 100
Look its not anyones place to tell someone else what they can and cannot put into their own body.
If you dont like hanging around people that drink then dont. Its really not that complicated.

Citizen

Alcohol isn't my thing but if people are drinking responsibly then I don't really see a problem with it. With that sort of thinking people should not ingest a bunch of other foods too because they're detrimental to your health. I don't think there's any reason to respect people less because they drink. There are plenty of highly successful people who do. I can see why you'd be angry about it since alcohol does get advertised all over the place as if you're expected to drink and you've had to deal with your father. Ironically at the same time, I do know some people who are so uptight and high-strung that they really can't let loose without it the rare times that they do decide to drink. I'm sorry that you are having a falling out with your friends right now. You did have quite a bit of an overreaction and people say things and then change their views over time though. I hope that you can come to accept your friends' as long as they are reasonable about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff