Welcome to Gaia! ::

Canny Trickster

The Covenant Man
korinzu
The Covenant Man

And you are absolutely right. Though frankly I have no idea how expansive the faceless king or northwode pagan religions are, which is why I didn't bring them up because I didn't want to be stepping on ideas some may have with them because their is an element in the story where religion play a major role, in the form of David and team odd ball. So I decided to focus instead of what I did know were going to be fairly accurate to the theme and period the roleplay can be considered to be loosely based off of.

The first step to bring halle from the current position to a higher one is to increase their agricultural efficiency and livestock raising, IE. perishable food stuffs and associated resources. Halle's land would be better served to corn crops, where as eyre territory would be better suited for the potato, as part of the major crop for their territories temperament.

But once those have been established and improved, that will be the gateway leading to other reforms, possibly bringing in a new method for creating quality steel from limited resources, known as crucible forging, which has the characteristics of a good modern steel, which was significantly better than what our forefathers in mideival times could have achieved on their own. Tough a lot of this will take time and require some investment, but the returns would be well worth the wait.

If one side wanted to defeat the other than all one would need to do would be stifle their economy. There was a reason why traveling on roads was so dangerous, usually caravans would be stopped and either raided or burned. Usually raided as the needless sacrifice of resources would be pointless in and of itself. However the house of Eyre seems to value honor above a lot of things so they would be a bit more of a trivial sort when it comes to hiring bandits and other riff-raff in order to complete tasks not suited for actual military men.

I figure the only way to really wage a war in this time period is to take land and harvest what you can from it. The Eyre house is well situated in the north and is guarded by heavily forests surrounding their main keep. I'm sure we can harvest wood fairly easily and there may very well be villages set up for just this reason. While wood might not seem to be a very valuable resource initially when it comes to warfare, keep in mind that arrows have been known to pierce thinner variants of plate armor with use of the bodkin arrow. Not only that, but the sheer strength of the longbow is enough to destroy any band of enemy units due to its excessive strength and the lesser forms of armor men-at-arms typically wore during this time (leather and chainmail being popular).

For reference, a longbow averaged to be more than 6 feet tall and could have a draw-weight of roughly 130-150 lbs. Some people here might doubt the legitimacy of that but keep in mind that the English had trained young boys in archery and probably had a sort of ladder-system where a boy would get stronger and then get a bow with a higher draw-weight.

Theoretically, one side could rule the battlefield with nothing more than perhaps 1000 archers and 500 men-at-arms. Of course trenches would be dug and spikes placed into the ground. But theoretically this would be able to destroy any opposing force that isn't head-to-toe in thick metal armor.

Economically speaking this would be VERY easy to do from the Eyre's location as they are situated very closely to large swathes of forest and, what can be assumed, pinewood. As it is easy and one could get perhaps 20-25 bows from a single tree, you could arm a majority of your peasants and teach them how to use a bow for very little cost, mostly because a bow is a very simple weapon to use.

As far as the bowman aspect, look to my outlaw character, he's a professional archer built off the english longbowman with some tweaking.

All very good points. But even with sufficient wood, they must have feathers, and fletchers to fletch those arrows. It's cold up there, so their avian pupulation might not be that high. And historically, one of the kings of englad almost drove their local bird population to extinction just to have feathers so they could fletch their arrows. An arrow without fletching will not fly. the longbow is at minimum the archer's own height, upwards to more than 7 ft, with some bows drawing at 180lbs even, from a soft wood like yew with horn nocks, and sinew braided cord for the draw string.

Archers could fire an average of 6 arrows a minute and with high number of archers, that's a lot of aerial force coming down onto an enemy, where men could rally around the defending army who were under fire, and as soon as the arrow rain was doe, the soldiers rush in and start attacking. But renches and spikes weren't always used, sometimes mainly because commanders didn't feel it was honorable to use such tactics.

But trust me, My archer will be covering a lot of these points himself in rp.

Disrupting your enemies trade by attacking caravans is a damn good way to hurt your enemies, even better if they hae an establshed army at location x, you attack their supply train, and that army is suddenly crippled.

I could go on, but eh.

Canny Trickster

ginger_jam
No prob, Harmonie, I've been there.

I was also gonna suggest that Connor would have come off the same ship as Itsaso. Still ruminating on how she would feel about him--on the one hand, she's got a similar view toward learning and he could find a reluctant ally in her in some ways; she'd be interested in his ideas, for sure. They'd have probably seen a lot of each other in the library. On the other...I see her trying to keep some distance from him, for a lot of reasons that I'm at the risk of writing tooooo much about but, basically, because she's kind of a d*ck.

Anyway, YES about the religious stuff!! I've had a character idea for some time now but I'm not sure how to execute it because I don't want to make huge assumptions about the way people practice the religions of the country, plus I'm kinda doing...research...that's drawing me in a lot of different directions.

whyyyyy am i still awake

Gotcha gotcha, included some of that into my connor pst. the post is blah as hell, had a hard time writing it.

as far as my own chat capabilities My current connection won't support skype, but I can do something ike Pirate Pad!

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
korinzu
The Covenant Man
korinzu
The Covenant Man

And you are absolutely right. Though frankly I have no idea how expansive the faceless king or northwode pagan religions are, which is why I didn't bring them up because I didn't want to be stepping on ideas some may have with them because their is an element in the story where religion play a major role, in the form of David and team odd ball. So I decided to focus instead of what I did know were going to be fairly accurate to the theme and period the roleplay can be considered to be loosely based off of.

The first step to bring halle from the current position to a higher one is to increase their agricultural efficiency and livestock raising, IE. perishable food stuffs and associated resources. Halle's land would be better served to corn crops, where as eyre territory would be better suited for the potato, as part of the major crop for their territories temperament.

But once those have been established and improved, that will be the gateway leading to other reforms, possibly bringing in a new method for creating quality steel from limited resources, known as crucible forging, which has the characteristics of a good modern steel, which was significantly better than what our forefathers in mideival times could have achieved on their own. Tough a lot of this will take time and require some investment, but the returns would be well worth the wait.

If one side wanted to defeat the other than all one would need to do would be stifle their economy. There was a reason why traveling on roads was so dangerous, usually caravans would be stopped and either raided or burned. Usually raided as the needless sacrifice of resources would be pointless in and of itself. However the house of Eyre seems to value honor above a lot of things so they would be a bit more of a trivial sort when it comes to hiring bandits and other riff-raff in order to complete tasks not suited for actual military men.

I figure the only way to really wage a war in this time period is to take land and harvest what you can from it. The Eyre house is well situated in the north and is guarded by heavily forests surrounding their main keep. I'm sure we can harvest wood fairly easily and there may very well be villages set up for just this reason. While wood might not seem to be a very valuable resource initially when it comes to warfare, keep in mind that arrows have been known to pierce thinner variants of plate armor with use of the bodkin arrow. Not only that, but the sheer strength of the longbow is enough to destroy any band of enemy units due to its excessive strength and the lesser forms of armor men-at-arms typically wore during this time (leather and chainmail being popular).

For reference, a longbow averaged to be more than 6 feet tall and could have a draw-weight of roughly 130-150 lbs. Some people here might doubt the legitimacy of that but keep in mind that the English had trained young boys in archery and probably had a sort of ladder-system where a boy would get stronger and then get a bow with a higher draw-weight.

Theoretically, one side could rule the battlefield with nothing more than perhaps 1000 archers and 500 men-at-arms. Of course trenches would be dug and spikes placed into the ground. But theoretically this would be able to destroy any opposing force that isn't head-to-toe in thick metal armor.

Economically speaking this would be VERY easy to do from the Eyre's location as they are situated very closely to large swathes of forest and, what can be assumed, pinewood. As it is easy and one could get perhaps 20-25 bows from a single tree, you could arm a majority of your peasants and teach them how to use a bow for very little cost, mostly because a bow is a very simple weapon to use.

As far as the bowman aspect, look to my outlaw character, he's a professional archer built off the english longbowman with some tweaking.

All very good points. But even with sufficient wood, they must have feathers, and fletchers to fletch those arrows. It's cold up there, so their avian pupulation might not be that high. And historically, one of the kings of englad almost drove their local bird population to extinction just to have feathers so they could fletch their arrows. An arrow without fletching will not fly. the longbow is at minimum the archer's own height, upwards to more than 7 ft, with some bows drawing at 180lbs even, from a soft wood like yew with horn nocks, and sinew braided cord for the draw string.

Archers could fire an average of 6 arrows a minute and with high number of archers, that's a lot of aerial force coming down onto an enemy, where men could rally around the defending army who were under fire, and as soon as the arrow rain was doe, the soldiers rush in and start attacking. But renches and spikes weren't always used, sometimes mainly because commanders didn't feel it was honorable to use such tactics.

Disrupting your enemies trade by attacking caravans is a damn good way to hurt your enemies, even better if they hae an establshed army at location x, you attack their supply train, and that army is suddenly crippled.

I could go on, but eh.

Well in regards to avian populations also consider they live in a forest which is where most birds would likely lay their nests, so perhaps for one part of the year (Summer) They harvest maybe 3000 feathers from the birds an use those to fletch some arrows and slowly build up their supply. The Eyre also have many allies in the warmer parts of the north who could send them arrows in return for some iron because, as I've been told, the Eyre household is situated very near to a rich supply of iron ore.

At the moment talking military strategy is somewhat of a pointless ordeal, but very fun to do so regardless. I wasn't expecting many other people to share my same sentiments and knowledge on the subject, it being something I've studied since I watched Patton when I was 8 years old with my father.

With the vast supply of steel and iron that would mean that Northern knights could be much more well supplied in terms of fighting gear though. A lot more heads for arrows, spear tips, swords, maces, axes, all of that. They could make a great profit off of this war.

Canny Trickster

The Covenant Man
korinzu
The Covenant Man
korinzu
The Covenant Man

I could go on, but eh.

Well in regards to avian populations also consider they live in a forest which is where most birds would likely lay their nests, so perhaps for one part of the year (Summer) They harvest maybe 3000 feathers from the birds an use those to fletch some arrows and slowly build up their supply. The Eyre also have many allies in the warmer parts of the north who could send them arrows in return for some iron because, as I've been told, the Eyre household is situated very near to a rich supply of iron ore.

At the moment talking military strategy is somewhat of a pointless ordeal, but very fun to do so regardless. I wasn't expecting many other people to share my same sentiments and knowledge on the subject, it being something I've studied since I watched Patton when I was 8 years old with my father.

With the vast supply of steel and iron that would mean that Northern knights could be much more well supplied in terms of fighting gear though. A lot more heads for arrows, spear tips, swords, maces, axes, all of that. They could make a great profit off of this war.

Eh, it may be pointless, but there is a catch that, just because we're talking, we're talking in the OOC, which means this gives leiton and happiness some ideas and concepts to work off of hopefully.

Iron production and the subsequent refinement to steel though was also an issue, because while it could be mined, actually smelting it presented inefficiencies, where large plots of forest were cut just to smelt iron from an ore into a usuable bloom, and that's not even forging it out, or making steel out of it. Steel production wasn't that great, because carbon content couldn't be very reliably introduced into iron at the time until forging methods improved, which was why a sword was a knights only weapon, they weren't cheep. At the cost of 20 Ox, or 8 human slaves in comparison to gold, it was bloody expensive. The earliest european example of good steels would have to be spanish steel, or the viking ulfbert, which actually came from asia via the vulga trading route, which was crucible steel. But yes, the nothern forces would be better equipped with proper metal gear, that isn't in question in the slightest, and that's the problem the south will have is access to that metal. But even if they do go to war, the north and south still have to trade because most of the food comes from the south, and most of the iron and such from the north.

Trade with allies for resources they don't with resources they have in plenty is the way to go in prparing for war time, though consider that during Mideival times, the archer was not conidered to be honorable in the slightest, because you were killing men from a distance, like a coward, as the idea of honor was fighting toe to toe against your opponent in up close Melee, not from a distance. House Eyre is extremely honorable, which may play into their use of archers as well. And having a line of archers at the ready wasn't put into play that much until in england at least, armies were reformed into the more continental variation where every soldier was well equipped with gear that met a certain standard and there was expected to be a host of archers within that army.

Consider Hannibal Barca of Carthage, his strategies of how he moved his army were brilliant, he specialized in the unorthodox and the ridiculous by some standards, such as marching his army, war elephants and all, across the mountains for an ambush on roman forces they thought would be impossible and had ruled out. Another time he presented with a weak frontal force to the opposing army, who retreated and the enemy followed, but their ranks divided around and began to surround the enemy force via the terrain, where they then reingauged from the front and both sides, before crushing the enemy force.

Trench warfare, to my knowledge, was unheard of until the world wars, But it would be extremely useful against archers and calvary, if situated into the right terrain that is. If every soldier was equipped with a shovel, then digging a tench that is at least 6 ft deep, and say 6 ft wide is possible in a quick manner, where the dirt can then be mound up in the front of the trench as a block of sorts. If you dig a double trench, one to fool calvary so that, when they trie to jump it, they end up crashing into the second trench and likely breaking the horses legs. As far as archery goes, if they can use crossbows, where one man shoots, and the other man loads the second crossbow and hands it off to the shooter and this repeats, then they have a defensible position from which to lay a near constant suppressing fire so long as they have crossbow bolt, and when the loader gets tired, or before that happens, loader and shooter switch places so that they can rest while shoting since they aren't having to load just shoot. And making it defensible may come into armed soldiers behind the double trench, with wooden bridges at ready, all holding shields and long spears, who would move the bridges forward and then rush infront of the trenches to do fighting and then cme back, drawing back the bridges. Though I suppose the front of the trenches could also be further reinforced with a burried spike barricade to dissuade calvary all together.

Best thing though if you ca get a strategic location, such as a narrow pass, to make this trench at, it'd bet it could increase the effectiveness f the trench by at least 10 times, especially of the enemy has no other pass to go through, meaing a relatively small force could take on a larger army, because that pass would make numbers count for nothing, similarly to the Spartans at Thermopylae.

I feel the same wa, t's nice to meet someone who has similar views to yourself, especially historical warfare. I'm a big fan of greco/roman warfae and combat, though sadly I havent been able to do as much study here recently, and I tend to forgt things.

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
korinzu
The Covenant Man
korinzu
The Covenant Man
korinzu
The Covenant Man

I could go on, but eh.

Eh, it may be pointless, but there is a catch that, just because we're talking, we're talking in the OOC, which means this gives leiton and happiness some ideas and concepts to work off of hopefully.

Iron production and the subsequent refinement to steel though was also an issue, because while it could be mined, actually smelting it presented inefficiencies, where large plots of forest were cut just to smelt iron from an ore into a usuable bloom, and that's not even forging it out, or making steel out of it. Steel production wasn't that great, because carbon content couldn't be very reliably introduced into iron at the time until forging methods improved, which was why a sword was a knights only weapon, they weren't cheep. At the cost of 20 Ox, or 8 human slaves in comparison to gold, it was bloody expensive. The earliest european example of good steels would have to be spanish steel, or the viking ulfbert, which actually came from asia via the vulga trading route, which was crucible steel. But yes, the nothern forces would be better equipped with proper metal gear, that isn't in question in the slightest, and that's the problem the south will have is access to that metal. But even if they do go to war, the north and south still have to trade because most of the food comes from the south, and most of the iron and such from the north.

Trade with allies for resources they don't with resources they have in plenty is the way to go in prparing for war time, though consider that during Mideival times, the archer was not conidered to be honorable in the slightest, because you were killing men from a distance, like a coward, as the idea of honor was fighting toe to toe against your opponent in up close Melee, not from a distance. House Eyre is extremely honorable, which may play into their use of archers as well. And having a line of archers at the ready wasn't put into play that much until in england at least, armies were reformed into the more continental variation where every soldier was well equipped with gear that met a certain standard and there was expected to be a host of archers within that army.

Consider Hannibal Barca of Carthage, his strategies of how he moved his army were brilliant, he specialized in the unorthodox and the ridiculous by some standards, such as marching his army, war elephants and all, across the mountains for an ambush on roman forces they thought would be impossible and had ruled out. Another time he presented with a weak frontal force to the opposing army, who retreated and the enemy followed, but their ranks divided around and began to surround the enemy force via the terrain, where they then reingauged from the front and both sides, before crushing the enemy force.

Trench warfare, to my knowledge, was unheard of until the world wars, But it would be extremely useful against archers and calvary, if situated into the right terrain that is. If every soldier was equipped with a shovel, then digging a tench that is at least 6 ft deep, and say 6 ft wide is possible in a quick manner, where the dirt can then be mound up in the front of the trench as a block of sorts. If you dig a double trench, one to fool calvary so that, when they trie to jump it, they end up crashing into the second trench and likely breaking the horses legs. As far as archery goes, if they can use crossbows, where one man shoots, and the other man loads the second crossbow and hands it off to the shooter and this repeats, then they have a defensible position from which to lay a near constant suppressing fire so long as they have crossbow bolt, and when the loader gets tired, or before that happens, loader and shooter switch places so that they can rest while shoting since they aren't having to load just shoot. And making it defensible may come into armed soldiers behind the double trench, with wooden bridges at ready, all holding shields and long spears, who would move the bridges forward and then rush infront of the trenches to do fighting and then cme back, drawing back the bridges. Though I suppose the front of the trenches could also be further reinforced with a burried spike barricade to dissuade calvary all together.

Best thing though if you ca get a strategic location, such as a narrow pass, to make this trench at, it'd bet it could increase the effectiveness f the trench by at least 10 times, especially of the enemy has no other pass to go through, meaing a relatively small force could take on a larger army, because that pass would make numbers count for nothing, similarly to the Spartans at Thermopylae.

I feel the same wa, t's nice to meet someone who has similar views to yourself, especially historical warfare. I'm a big fan of greco/roman warfae and combat, though sadly I havent been able to do as much study here recently, and I tend to forgt things.

Well you never know. There might be different traditions here than in actual medieval Europe. Honor might not be lost on the archer or perhaps they're seen as a necessary equivalent when one party doesn't have enough iron to supply their entire force. But what my character is going to stress is how effective the actual plan is. As my character is a realist and completely understanding that, in the melee, honor is tossed out the window faster than a your lover when your wife gets home.

Greco-roman warfare interested me for a while, but I came to understand that those formations were something that would be largely forgotten and the ancestor of the phalanx wouldn't return until Swiss pikeman (and pikes in general) made a huge return in the later centuries of medieval warfare.

I don't think either side is going to be making steel but we can agree that it is certainly something that is known to exist. Perhaps called a different name like "Knight-Iron" or some such to give the reinforced metal a more mythical touch because in these eras there wasn't the widespread understanding of how steel was forged.

Regardless of what happens though we can be rest assured that when these armies actively meet on the battlefield, honor goes with who wins. In a case of "If I fight with honor I may die and "If I don't fight with honor I may get to live" I'm sure the answer would be easy for most.

But you should definitely join the skype chat. My internet is absolutely atrocious but my computer somehow manages it. Even if it is falling apart.

Toothsome Hunter

ginger_jam
Harmonie and Happiness
ginger_jam

Anyway, YES about the religious stuff!! I've had a character idea for some time now but I'm not sure how to execute it because I don't want to make huge assumptions about the way people practice the religions of the country, plus I'm kinda doing...research...that's drawing me in a lot of different directions.

whyyyyy am i still awake

What questions did you have? I'll try and help as best I can.

Welllll I guess the best place to start would be: 1. What religion do the Gitan follow? The Faceless King, or something they have within their own culture, or a mixture? (I may be drawing too heavily in my mind on actual Roma here xP)
and 2. Do we have any established roles or hierarchies within the religious...powers? esp. in regards to women/girls.

And thank you! I'll see about it soon

So, I kind of run the gitan... So i'll answer this. haha

1: The gitan follow the faceless King religion, BUT like most churches, their interpretation is much different than what the main cities follow. They're a lot more loose about their rules. However, it would not be weird for some gitan members to worship something different.

2: If you're looking to make a high priest or a priestess, I'm sure we would allow it. Honestly, harmonie would love you forever if you wanted to make a cultist leader. Could be female, could be whatever you wanted.

If you wanted to follow the faceless king, you could totally have her be in the gitan as one of their priestesses.
korinzu

Your post was awesome! You did a really good job with the nothing I gave you to work with, and got a shockingly accurate gist of Itsaso's attitude toward their relationship. I'll try and fill her side of the exposition out with my next post, between the convo with Mortimer.

Lunatic in Lingerie

Ahhh, thank you so much! That was kinda my headcanon for them. The character I have in mind would be quite young and probably not qualify as a leader, but she could well have made some headway in progressing through the ranks. It really doesn't matter what religion she'd be for; she could be part of a cult as a messenger for the head peeps so the cults wouldn't be composed entirely of NPCs xD

Now that I've pestered everyone enough about it, I should probably actually mention what I have been shaping her up as in my head:
Teenaged girl, Gitan peasant in origin, parents MIA. Sweet girl, very romantic headspace-wise, not super satisfied with the lack of options social status+prejudices have left her with. Was either adopted into or volunteered to join [insert religious organization]. I had a half-baked idea about her service (my profile title in mind was "The Child Thief" which actually would fit in really well with a cult tbh), like somebody who works to find seemingly-unwanted kids on behalf of [insert religious organization] to care for/convert/indoctrinate them, yanno, PERFECTLY NORMAL SWEET TEENAGED GIRL THINGS. Actually were she to join a cult she'd make a good foil for also innocent teen but MANIPULATED by (apparent) cult, Antoinette.
But she could do something else, I think ultimately I just really like the juxtaposition of innocence/not-so-innocent-job, and particularly "UGH I HATE THIS I HATE THAT WE'RE STUCK IN TROLL-VILLE BECAUSE PEOPLE LOOK DOWN ON US AND HAVE THESE UNFOUNDED IDEAS THAT WE'LL DO HORRIBLE THINGS" *joins environment where she can be considered respectable, does the horrible things*

Toothsome Hunter

ginger_jam
korinzu

Your post was awesome! You did a really good job with the nothing I gave you to work with, and got a shockingly accurate gist of Itsaso's attitude toward their relationship. I'll try and fill her side of the exposition out with my next post, between the convo with Mortimer.

Lunatic in Lingerie

Ahhh, thank you so much! That was kinda my headcanon for them. The character I have in mind would be quite young and probably not qualify as a leader, but she could well have made some headway in progressing through the ranks. It really doesn't matter what religion she'd be for; she could be part of a cult as a messenger for the head peeps so the cults wouldn't be composed entirely of NPCs xD

Now that I've pestered everyone enough about it, I should probably actually mention what I have been shaping her up as in my head:
Teenaged girl, Gitan peasant in origin, parents MIA. Sweet girl, very romantic headspace-wise, not super satisfied with the lack of options social status+prejudices have left her with. Was either adopted into or volunteered to join [insert religious organization]. I had a half-baked idea about her service (my profile title in mind was "The Child Thief" which actually would fit in really well with a cult tbh), like somebody who works to find seemingly-unwanted kids on behalf of [insert religious organization] to care for/convert/indoctrinate them, yanno, PERFECTLY NORMAL SWEET TEENAGED GIRL THINGS. Actually were she to join a cult she'd make a good foil for also innocent teen but MANIPULATED by (apparent) cult, Antoinette.
But she could do something else, I think ultimately I just really like the juxtaposition of innocence/not-so-innocent-job, and particularly "UGH I HATE THIS I HATE THAT WE'RE STUCK IN TROLL-VILLE BECAUSE PEOPLE LOOK DOWN ON US AND HAVE THESE UNFOUNDED IDEAS THAT WE'LL DO HORRIBLE THINGS" *joins environment where she can be considered respectable, does the horrible things*

Haha, sounds very fun.

It's up to you what part you would like to be in. If she wants to be respected, I would say she has two options.

1: join team odd squad, they shouldn't be judging anybody. If she was training to become a high priestess... she would fit right in with the religious quest they have those losers going on. (with love i say losers)

2: have her in the cult. Mortimer is probably (besides Florenz) the most easy going male when it comes to gender roles. His mother slapped out any possible thoughts he had about women being just house wives. He would be the most likely to put her in a position of power if she showed ambition and loyalty.

Dapper Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
agh! sorry for inactivity on the OOC.
Again: Traveling so my calendar of stuff to do is kinda high.

Anywho!

Ginger:
I like the new gal! She sounds awesome!
I do agree with lun as to placement, and honestly both those spots would be good fits for her and don't take gender roles as seriously as many other positions. wink

Korinzu:
I like your new guy as well!
Damn... this means I need to Ostadar it up again unless the bearded fatty left a lot to his daughter or she just picked it up and does it without his permission (totally understandable).
Either way, I super like him. I know NEXT TO NOTHING about any of that stuff aside from what common sense can dictate, so.... good on you for doing that. ;D
As such, Ostadar will likely not know a lot about it, Val knows how to spend and balance his money, but aside from that he wouldn't have a great idea as to crops (his entire fortune is based upon a bay and being able to trade).

but yay! Unique characters about! <3 <3
*is happy*

Dapper Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Also:
As far as posting I shall get them done today. I swears it.

Canny Trickster

The Covenant Man

Very true, there's no telling how this might go for them all, I imagine some will stick to honor and retraint, but others will take up the survivalist mentallity. We shall see. And your right, when the battles ensue, it will be something to watch how it goes down. I prefer the viking thought of honor, "die gloriously in battle, but if I live, by whatever means I use, then I am the better warrior than you, and I look forward to battling you again in valhalla." If I had a warrior type character.

Indeed. The greeks had some geniuses among them in the military, and the romans learned from that. But so much was lost from then that wasn't rediscvered until later. Imagine the battles that could have been fought if those formations and stategies had been more accurately recorded for use by others down the road.

Eh you never know, they had steel back then, but it was a right pain in the a** to make, and the carbon content was unreliable. But put a well established scholar and a blacksmith together, and I think they can discover a way to make steel, easier, with a level of accuracy that can be repeated. Problem is that, most scholars horded their knowledge so they would stay of value to their lord, so my character is practically unheard of, a scholar practically giving away his knowledge. It all reality they'll probably call it white iron since that's what it looks like.

And I can't get on skype, my internet connection is too slow, I can't even play youtube. My computer is damn near brand new, it's my internet connection that sucks.

D_letion

Thank you, I try. While it might mean you have to resume use of him, I suspect that Itsaso is going to be doing a lot of the behind the scenes work so ostadar might have nothing to do aside from be present and give his opinion on things while the daily needs of the castle and such are being seen to by the eldest twin and the scholar, enriching his lands without him even knowing it, and when he sobers up to find his treasury is fitting to burst he be like. "Was it always this full?" Lol, I do see however that there might be quite a bit of interaction between the scholar and the lord halle and the eldest twin, especially when he tries to bring t ostadar a possible new method of making stronger metal.

but yeah, I see good times and some possible complications in the halle lands coming up soon.

ginger_jam

Thank you, I tried to imagine what their relationship would be like. Though writing it, I was tempted to put something more in there about how he might 'really' feel for her. But I decided that perhas he is attracted to her, but even he isn't aware of it mstly because of his own respect for her and her keeping herself distanced. Just an idea, not sure If I'll implement it yet. wink

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
korinzu
The Covenant Man

Very true, there's no telling how this might go for them all, I imagine some will stick to honor and retraint, but others will take up the survivalist mentallity. We shall see. And your right, when the battles ensue, it will be something to watch how it goes down. I prefer the viking thought of honor, "die gloriously in battle, but if I live, by whatever means I use, then I am the better warrior than you, and I look forward to battling you again in valhalla." If I had a warrior type character.

Indeed. The greeks had some geniuses among them in the military, and the romans learned from that. But so much was lost from then that wasn't rediscvered until later. Imagine the battles that could have been fought if those formations and stategies had been more accurately recorded for use by others down the road.

Eh you never know, they had steel back then, but it was a right pain in the a** to make, and the carbon content was unreliable. But put a well established scholar and a blacksmith together, and I think they can discover a way to make steel, easier, with a level of accuracy that can be repeated. Problem is that, most scholars horded their knowledge so they would stay of value to their lord, so my character is practically unheard of, a scholar practically giving away his knowledge. It all reality they'll probably call it white iron since that's what it looks like.

And I can't get on skype, my internet connection is too slow, I can't even play youtube. My computer is damn near brand new, it's my internet connection that sucks.

D_letion

Thank you, I try. While it might mean you have to resume use of him, I suspect that Itsaso is going to be doing a lot of the behind the scenes work so ostadar might have nothing to do aside from be present and give his opinion on things while the daily needs of the castle and such are being seen to by the eldest twin and the scholar, enriching his lands without him even knowing it, and when he sobers up to find his treasury is fitting to burst he be like. "Was it always this full?" Lol, I do see however that there might be quite a bit of interaction between the scholar and the lord halle and the eldest twin, especially when he tries to bring t ostadar a possible new method of making stronger metal.

but yeah, I see good times and some possible complications in the halle lands coming up soon.

ginger_jam

Thank you, I tried to imagine what their relationship would be like. Though writing it, I was tempted to put something more in there about how he might 'really' feel for her. But I decided that perhas he is attracted to her, but even he isn't aware of it mstly because of his own respect for her and her keeping herself distanced. Just an idea, not sure If I'll implement it yet. wink

Well then I suspect gaining the trust and use of your scholar would play an important role in the war to come. Knowledge defeats strength in almost every scenario, especially when knowledge has men willing to fight with it.

Divine Muse

I'm working on a Dorian...

Thinking he might like his mom's gods. They sound more fun.
I like this scholar... I like him a lot. >w>

Canny Trickster

Thanks wild, but I will be honest, he was just an idea and a character I mashed u at pretty much the last minute, he hasn't had any refinement in my normal character building process so, this is him in the raw and he'll be refined into his own through the rp hopefully.

Hahaha, I know, the Northwood pagans always know how to have a fun time, Ask speirr he'll tell you, he's had some wild nights, especially when he happened upon a group performing a ritual and he just...joined them lol.

Indeed, Knowledge played a large parts in military development, when knowledge wasn't so....forsaken, a it was during mideival times by the church. We lost a lot of progress during that time that had to be reacquired during the renaissance. If during such times knowledge had been more wide spread and applied, think of all the changes that might have occurred, hell, we might have entered the electronic age that much sooner. But yes, even simple innovations can lead to big turn of events, and that forces the opposing side to reach out for something better, because competition creates innovation and leads to discovery.

Fun fun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces