8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I wonder why my heart flips,
I only know it does,
I wonder why I love you baby,
I guess it's just because...

I tend to get motion sick very quickly when playing games like Fallout 3 and Guild Wars 2 (among others, don't even get me started on Portal and Minecraft). It happens within about 20 minutes of gameplay. I'm the type of person who can't read a book while in a car without turning green after about 5 minutes, and I have found a way to deal with it on drives, but video games are another issue altogether.

I was wondering if anyone else dealt with the dreaded "Simulator Sickness" (I apologize if this thread has been made a hundred times before).

Discuss:
Do you experience it? What games are the worst for you?
How do you deal with it? What tricks do you use, or settings do you change in your game?

I put three dots down the middle of my screen (little bits of a sticky note) and zoom out the camera as far as I can, but it only really gives me a short time longer on the game before I have to put it down.

...You're so square,
Baby, I don't care

Feral Nymph

Ugh, this happens to me periodically. I didn't have too much of a problem with Fallout, but Minecraft, Portal and Borderlands can all slap me upside the head with sudden nausea. Usually I take some motion-sickness meds and take a break. Once those kick in, I can go back to playing without much problem until said medication knocks me out.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea Any game that gives me motion sickness I just deal with by only playing in short bursts. This usually means that games that can hook me will take months or even years to beat (I just beat Bayonetta like a month ago), while those games that fail to hold my interest generally get abandoned by the time I accumulate a full hour (usually FPS games).

I've found that sitting as close as possible to a fan or AC vent helps alleviate some of the worst bouts of motion sickness, allowing me to potentially play longer, but it's just delaying the inevitable.

Shameless Lunatic

27,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
I was hanging around with my sis while her and our friends were playing CoD and I had to stop watching because I started to feel really horrible, it gave me a bad headache and made me barfy.
I never tried playing CoD before that because it seemed damn boring to me....I guess it's a good thing I never tried to rent it and try it out before that.

Profitable Gekko

I've always wondered how that sort of thing worked. Is it like the turning quickly of cameras or something? I've never experienced motion sickness before, sounds like it's awful...yet adorable.

Super Cyclops

Gay African Mammoth
sounds like it's awful...yet adorable.

You sicko? stare

I get motion sick from proto fps's like Doom or others from that era. Newer fps (starting from Duke3D) are cool. Weird, that.

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
I made the same thread a while ago as well... Having the exact same issues here... I get sick from any game with a 3D movement perspective (playing games with a 2D view is going just fine) after about half an hour or so... Feeling lightheaded, getting noxious, sweating all over, dry mouth... It's pretty annoying... I try to take regular brakes and have some fresh air in the room... And try to drink plenty as well (water/juice/etc)... I also usually play my games in a well-lit room to avoid any symptoms related to my eyes... Other then that, there's not much to do about it aside from taking some rest when not feeling well... Then again, I'm the kind of person who turns green in the car after a few minutes even without reading... cat_sweatdrop

ToddKraines

Reminds me of this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Could you please ******** off with your annoying advertising on every single thread being made here? The only thing you're going to accomplish is everyone here blocking you because they're sick of your bullshit... Just make 1 thread and stick to that... cat_talk2hand

HD LCD's Wife

Eloquent Lunatic

I've never completed any games from the first person point of view because of motion sickness. If the camera can be placed behind the character it's okay, or if it's first person in an open field or something it's okay, but if it's first person and there are buildings and stuff around... it makes me feel so awful I can't play.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Pessimist
Ugh, this happens to me periodically. I didn't have too much of a problem with Fallout, but Minecraft, Portal and Borderlands can all slap me upside the head with sudden nausea. Usually I take some motion-sickness meds and take a break. Once those kick in, I can go back to playing without much problem until said medication knocks me out.

I wanted Minecraft so badly and my husband bought it for me and I think since I got it two years ago I've played it for a total of 20 minutes. I did the same thing with Portal and I've had it since shortly after it came out, I'm so afraid of playing them again haha.

I never thought to try motion sickness meds, I never needed them on drives as long as I look out a window so it didn't occur to me. I'll have to pick some up when I'm out later and see if they help me.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Trancy Brat
I was hanging around with my sis while her and our friends were playing CoD and I had to stop watching because I started to feel really horrible, it gave me a bad headache and made me barfy.
I never tried playing CoD before that because it seemed damn boring to me....I guess it's a good thing I never tried to rent it and try it out before that.

Oddly enough I'm perfectly okay with CoD (and Left for Dead actually) but I feel you on the barfy part, the guys are always watching videos of these games and I just have to go lay down.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Gay African Mammoth
I've always wondered how that sort of thing worked. Is it like the turning quickly of cameras or something? I've never experienced motion sickness before, sounds like it's awful...yet adorable.

It's not adorable.

For a lot of people with simulator sickness it's because your body doesn't feel the movement your eyes are seeing so your brain goes "OH s**t WE'RE HALLUCINATING, YOU MUST HAVE EATEN SOMETHING POISONOUS, QUICK THROW IT UP!"

Sometimes it's the frame rate, if it's choppy your brain thinks "oh this isn't right" and basically does the same thing.

Quotable Autobiographer

8,725 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I've never had this problem, except on one occasion. TERA's Pegasus rides.
Those goddamn cutscenes happen all the time and they're shaking my character and the screen constantly, like they're trying to make me dizzy.
I pretty much have to look away from the screen or I get a headache.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff