Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bright Bunny

I'm in need of inspiration. :[ I have like a hundred songs that are unfinished in my FL Studio project folder. I keep starting and stopping, but it's rare that I ever finish anything.

Where do you find your inspiration? What causes that "spark" where you begin to write a song? And, how long usually does it take you to create a song?
Since I am in a comedy metal / punk band, I tend to wait for my bandmates to make another inside-joke that ends up becoming a song. Some of our other songs are also inspired by listening to other humorous bands like Psychostick.

Unbeatable Warrior

28,015 Points
  • Charging Power 75
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Magical Girl 50
Inspiration comes and goes, I start a lot of songs and don't finish them as well, but I go back every once and a while when I have time to refresh of what I do have of it to see if I can add anything.
I'll just mess around until I find a melody, riff, chord sequence, etc. that I dig and go from there. Being inspired isn't always 100% on...if I start playing dull blues licks, I know the creative tank is empty lol Just don't pressure yourself, ya can't rush creativity.

Dapper Sleuth

5,200 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
I get my inspiration from life (mine, people around me, the news), daydreams, and fictional characters. When I'm stuck on a song I really want to finish I find it helps to plot it out a bit and ask myself a few important questions:
*>What is the point this song is trying to make/What message am I trying to send/What story am I trying to tell? I take a look at where I want to go and what is the next step to getting there.
>I see if there are any versus/choruses/bridges I can repeat, or alter a few lines in a chorus to move the song along or make it interesting and less repetitive.
>I check that the song isn't going off topic in a tangent and then back track if it is
*>I brainstorm about other ways to talk about the theme of the song. What are other things people do or feel in the given situation? What are other words/things/people in the metaphorical theme that I can use?
>Look at my other incomplete songs and see if any can be combined into one.

Sometimes you just need time away from a song, and in going over it again new inspiration strikes.

I hope that helped! Writer's block sucks.

Supreme Demigod

Music isn't something that happens when you want it to sometimes. Music is like catching lightning in a jar, and it can happen without you even noticing. Train yourself to find music in everything.

Flashy Fatcat

6,875 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
i read books, i look at art, i scribble lines that pop into my head on paper so i can use them later once i've polished them off, i listen to genres outside my comfort zone, i mess around with different combinations of chords on my guitar, i write stuff about daily life.
it comes in several ways

one of the ways I find inspiration is through Anime ^^
Listen to your favorite music for inspiration.

When I don't complete a song, it is usually because I don't have a strong direction for that piece. I suggest taking an idea that you have, and rather than trying to make it up as you go along with whatever ideas come, try drawing out the main ideas/sections of the piece on graph paper. Organize the piece, plan it out, and then finish it. This will give you a strong direction, but still allow for improvisations and inspiration as you go.

I would not start a piece this way but it might help you finish something.

Also, don't get bogged down with mixing stuff until you have the main idea sketched out.

I hope this helps!
IT may sound strange but a lot of my inspiration comes from my dreams!

I keep a dream journal next to my bed and I write down everything I can remember. I tend to have really crazy vivid ones too.

I also have written poems that are more like social commentaries and are inspired by current events. Eventually I would like to compose music for that.

Aged Member

Choose five or six of the songs you're currently working on, and make a little EP out of it.

Make some artwork for it, and put it up on bandcamp or whatever. Share with friends/Internet. It's good to have a goal.

OG Gekko

9,575 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Party Animal 100
Emotions. What you feel at that time. Usually the emotion that inspires me is sadness.... and I'm depressed, so that spark is there a lot of the time.

Doesn't necessarily mean that my songs are sad, because what I play can also symbolize something that I want to feel.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff