Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Pants

tuspel
She Was Phone
tuspel
She Was Phone
tuspel
She Was Phone
Yet you ate it despite not being sure whether it would make you ill. Did you learn anything from this experience?

You seem to have missed responding to my comments regarding meat allergies and the presence of non-vegan restaurants that serve gluten-free food.

I don't eat there anymore.

The place advertised itself for the common allergies.
Given people can be allergic to anything, this is usually what allergy-friendly means, so free of nuts, peanuts, eggs, milk, shellfish, seafood, wheat, mustard.

If I had a "meat" allergy, I would go to a vegan place, not an allergy-friendly place.

This place advertised itself as being good for Celiacs, and it was not.
Similarly, if a place advertised as Vegan and used lard, that would also be false advertising.
OK, but do you eat food anywhere else without knowing all about the ingredients? See, if you'd been more educated about your disease, you wouldn't have eaten Earth Balance in the first place.

Have you called the restaurant to tell them their food is unsuitable for people like you or are you just whining about it here on Gaia?

Why did you put meat in quotes?

I have, actually.
This place in particularly does dangerous false advertising for people with allergies, not just Celiacs.
You have actually...what? Eaten food without knowing the ingredients? Called the shop? I asked you 3 questions, you answered only one and it is not clear which.

I called the restaurant and complained.
And the "omega-6" was not listed on their ingredients. This was on nutritional information not available in the store. There was no way I could have known prior to eating it.
You should have known which ingredients contained it, but you are too lazy to bother learning and prefer bitching that every place that serves food should accommodate your illness. Enjoy being sick all the time, couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

Demonic Divorcee

3,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
tuspel

Then ask before you get food from these places. Find some place that caters to your needs or bake your own stuff.
Or inquire into cupcakes made without Earth Balance.

And, ew lard.
FrostyVampireHomo
tuspel

Then ask before you get food from these places. Find some place that caters to your needs or bake your own stuff.
Or inquire into cupcakes made without Earth Balance.

And, ew lard.

I didn't know what Earth Balance was. They said it was made of vegetables.
It was, but it is pretty much pure Omega 6

Demonic Divorcee

3,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
tuspel

You could even inquire into raw vegan cupcakes. I am sure they're without it.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I've never heard of allergy-friendly restaurants lol.
FrostyVampireHomo
tuspel

You could even inquire into raw vegan cupcakes. I am sure they're without it.

There aren't really (m)any vegan fat sources that have low omega 6, and high omega 3.
The sickness I got from that cupcake was the second worse muscular problems I ever had. The first was the time I had popcorn drenched in Becel.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I'm lactose intolerant and find its pretty easy to get buy with food and eating out in the UK. I get lactose free milk, cheese, cake and ice creams regularly. Things like butter, cream and yogurt I can totally live without. I also know my body and intolerance well what I can have a bit of, and what is a no go with me. I also plan meals ahead which helps with the knowing what I can and can't have. Restaurants are usually very accommodating with making a dish and not including the cheese topping etc. Then again, there are always safe foods like steak on the menu.

I have recently come back from the United States, and your lack of dairy free stuff in supermarkets astounds me. I really struggled with that. Also every time I ate out and asked for like, no cheese, I always got cheese. Some people just didn't get it. Except the time I asked for a cheese-less pizza and then I got some strange looks, but I did get a cheese-less pizza.

Never tried vegan food to be honest, but I can see why that would be frustrating. My husband's boss is celiac but again, never appears to struggle. Work meals always happen at real allergy friendly places to accommodate him (and me!)

Demonic Divorcee

3,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
tuspel

There aren't really (m)any vegan fat sources that have low omega 6, and high omega 3.
The sickness I got from that cupcake was the second worse muscular problems I ever had. The first was the time I had popcorn drenched in Becel.

Research can be done. And I am sure there are websites that have that kind of information. There must be folks out there with your condition who are also vegan.
I'm sorry about the effect it had on you.
FrostyVampireHomo
tuspel

Research can be done. And I am sure there are websites that have that kind of information. There must be folks out there with your condition who are also vegan.
I'm sorry about the effect it had on you.

Have you ever heard of the reasonable persons test?

The store is at fault in the case for advertising foods as being "suitable for celiacs" when they are not. It is their job to make sure that the foods are indeed good for celiacs as they claim.

The reasonable person is not going to spend 5 hours online searching every single ingredient of a cake that claims to be "suitable for celiacs" before getting that cake that claims to be "suitable for celiacs".
The business is at fault. False advertising---especially when it comes to ingredients and people's health---is illegal.

Telling someone with Celiacs(or any allergy) to do research on every ingredient in a product that outright claims to be suitable for people with that disorder to do a load of online research before eating the food is like telling a women to do 5 hours of online research on every guy she goes on a date with to make sure he isn't a murder.
It's an unrealistic expectation, and the "reasonable person" wouldn't do that.
And you can say all your "should have, could have, would have" garbage, but the law works as I have described it to you.
DJ Twissta
I've never heard of allergy-friendly restaurants lol.

They're stupid, because people are allergic to everything, so they can't actually exist in reality.

Invisible Assailant

12,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Angry Lamu-chan
You should have known which ingredients contained it, but you are too lazy to bother learning and prefer bitching that every place that serves food should accommodate your illness. Enjoy being sick all the time, couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

You're being unreasonably harsh, here. Yes, if she'd done a shitload of research into the food, she could have prevented being sick, but that does not make the restaurant's false advertising okay. If a place advertises that it's good for people with a certain condition and isn't, that's highly irresponsible of them. Blaming the victim of that false advertising isn't cool.

I also don't think it's particularly wrong to be frustrated that most of her gluten-free eating-out options are places that cater to vegans, because she can't safely eat much of that food. Making all of your own food can be a major burden, and frustration that there's so many places that seem to cater directly to you, but actually don't, is pretty understandable.

Demonic Divorcee

3,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
tuspel

arrow Take it up to the business. I know that if a place says it offers vegan options, I am still going to ask what they mean by vegan because even though my health won't be compromised, I don't want any nasty surprises.
One would think that if one's health were at stake, I would make more than certain that every ingredient was safe to consume.

arrow And if someone regardless of sex had been the victim of rape or abuse, I am sure that person would be more than cautious. Though the comparisons are a sort of non sequitur.

arrow I am a reasonable person and I would take the time and ask the chef and waitress and not simply go "oh okay you say it is vegan so I'll go with it" because they may not understand what vegan means. Or the effects Omega six oils has on celiacs.

arrow Again, sue the business if you'd like. Or do better research. Or find a different business. There are literally so many options.

Seriously.
FrostyVampireHomo
tuspel

arrow Take it up to the business. I know that if a place says it offers vegan options, I am still going to ask what they mean by vegan because even though my health won't be compromised, I don't want any nasty surprises.
One would think that if one's health were at stake, I would make more than certain that every ingredient was safe to consume.

arrow And if someone regardless of sex had been the victim of rape or abuse, I am sure that person would be more than cautious. Though the comparisons are a sort of non sequitur.

arrow I am a reasonable person and I would take the time and ask the chef and waitress and not simply go "oh okay you say it is vegan so I'll go with it" because they may not understand what vegan means. Or the effects Omega six oils has on celiacs.

arrow Again, sue the business if you'd like. Or do better research. Or find a different business. There are literally so many options.

Seriously.

Your points are regardless. False advertising is illegal.
Stop making it out like I'm some sort of attention-whore because a business lied and said their cupcake was good for celiacs.

Demonic Divorcee

3,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
tuspel

Stop making it out like I'm some sort of attention-whore because a business lied and said their cupcake was good for celiacs.

I'm just saying that they were not entirely to blame. Had you done your research beforehand and inquired into the type of ingredients they used, you'd have avoided the whole ordeal.

I may sound insensitive, but you're essentially saying they force-fed you the cupcakes or something, whilst you're the one who went to them. When you could have gone elsewhere or made your own cupcakes if you're so concerned.

It's called being an adult.
FrostyVampireHomo
tuspel

I'm just saying that they were not entirely to blame. Had you done your research beforehand and inquired into the type of ingredients they used, you'd have avoided the whole ordeal.

I may sound insensitive, but you're essentially saying they force-fed you the cupcakes or something, whilst you're the one who went to them. When you could have gone elsewhere or made your own cupcakes if you're so concerned.

It's called being an adult.

No, legally they are to blame. They false advertised. That's illegal.

And if you don't understand that, I hope you never run your own business, because you will probably be sued and criminally charged with criminal negligence.

What they did broke the Competition Act, the Sale of Goods Act, the Consumer Protection Act, and the Food and Drug Act.

I am not to blame in this scenario.
They misrepresented a product; they lied about the "health" benefits of a product; they lied about ingredients in more than one way(they also advertised as nut-free, but were not).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff