Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
..Called Women Distractions.

Quote:

After asserting that female scientists should be segregated from their male peers because they distract them, fall in love with them and cry, British biochemist Tim Hunt issued a half-hearted apology Wednesday -- and women in science are letting him have it.

Hunt, 72, a Nobel Prize winner and fellow with the United Kingdom's prestigious Royal Society science body, came under fire this week for advocating for single-sex labs in a speech at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea,

"Three things happen when [women] are in the lab: You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticize them, they cry," said Hunt.

Following a backlash, Hunt went on BBC radio Wednesday morning to say he's "really, really sorry" for offending people but that he was just telling it like it is.

"I did mean the part about having trouble with girls," he said. "I have fallen in love with people in the lab and people in the lab have fallen in love with me and it's very disruptive to the science."

Inequality for women in science is a chronic problem. In 2012, researchers at Yale found that physicists, chemists and biologists are likely to favor a young male scientist over a woman with nearly identical qualifications and are more willing to offer the man a job, the New York Times noted. Researchers in the study observed that when women got hired, their salaries averaged nearly $4,000 less than what men are paid.

"Girls" in the science community meanwhile responded brilliantly to Hunt's lunacy on Twitter.

Source

And two of the more hilarious Tweets included with the article: (But be warned there is a few curse words in the other Tweets they show if you go to the article)

User Image

But after reading his apology it sounds like the guy is letting his personal problems in the lab color his choice of words. Poor guy, if only he'd stop falling in love with people at work. xp

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Wonder what this pig would say about gay scientists...

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Welp ... I think he figured out what century we live in now. rofl

Quotable Prophet

I think this says more about his personal issues than anything if he can't maintain professionalism and focus on his own work with a woman present.

Conservative Regular

Hold the ******** phone!

A old person has Old fashion views.

I am shock and horrified by this revelation

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I thought it couldn't get better after the tweets, then I read the comments section.
Okay genius, let me make this clear for you: Regardless of gender, if you have a subordinate and every time you correct them they cry? Fire their a**. See? Problem solved.

Sugary Cat

Okay well, I don't care? I don't want to work in a lab, which is good for lab-people but bad for the people in my future work place; now they fall in love with me. sad

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
The guy is now looking for another job according to reports on CBS.

Dedicated Student

So them what happens if someone is lesbians gay bi or pan hmnn? That scientist sounds like he has a lot of brains.
Ho boy, MRA shitstorm imminent. Prepare to be inundated with claims of muh sand drees. Shirtgate was one thing, this is an a*****e running his mouth like an a*****e getting treated like an a*****e, as it should be.

Kawaii Shoujo

'Half-hearted apology' and 'telling it like it is'... yeah that's definitely sounds like a sincere male apology emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff