Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200

As in, pronouns. Have you found yourself calling a staff member "he" or "she" based on their avatar, only to find out it's the total opposite of what you said? Then you feel horrible because you don't want to refer to people the wrong way? Like, that's why people have their genders in the signatures! So much confusion otherwise. Remember when Zero Omega changed their avatar? What's up with that???

So, I suggested special pronouns for the staff with KingMemphis's help. I suggested things like "the almighty" or "the chosen ones" but KingMemphis felt that was too long since the name would now be "The Almighty Chosen One, King Memphis the Great and Powerful". I personally think it's elegant, but we cannot deny the word of the King.

So I ask you, GCD:

+ Have you ran into this problem before, or do you tend to refer everyone as "they" until you find out their preference?
+ What great titles can we give to our Gaian overlords, the wonderful employees of Gaia Online?
+ Has someone referred to you in a different way before? Do you mind at all or do you go on to prevent the confusion from happening?
+ Have YOU double fisted some Red Bulls today?

And anything else you'd like to add!

p.s. this thread is meant in a lighthearted manner and is NOT to dabble into serious issues so keep it that way please <3 we are discussing for the FUNS

IMPORTANT UPDATE! BEHIND THE SCENES NEWS ABOUT GAIA STAFF

Sheshira
Rance Clear
Chibi Halo
          Most of the time I refer to a staff member based on what the avatar is unless it's stated somewhere what their actual real world gender is. Then when I do know what we're supposed to call someone I get into a super pet peeved correct people mode when I see people calling said staff member by their avatar's gender. Bugs the heck out of me when I see people calling Narumi a she just because the avatar is a girl when on his profile it states he's a he. The only one I'm a little confused about is bluealaris. I've seen a lot of people go based on the avatar gender when a friend of mine uses she, which is what I think it really is as well as I think it's another reapersun type of situation.

I'm not sure bluealaris has a gender, or even a corporeal form.
bluealaris is an experience.

None of us have actually met bluealaris in person.
When we want to communicate with bluealaris, we slide an offering of coffee beans and kappa drawings under a solid metal door. There's some banging and shrieking sounds, and then a piece of paper slides back out with our daily instructions on it.

Like Juon Mejiro from Kuragehime?

Edit: Got sneaky pic of this in action

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Menstrual Cramps
Magically Clueless
Menstrual Cramps

User Image

Rance is Pocahontas, past it on.
I got this exclusive footage of Rance listening to Blue.

does that make Rance the Blue whisperer?

User Image

I found this recent picture of them.

I Noticed You's Problem

Snarky Bear

50,840 Points
  • Live Fast! Die Garish! 500
  • Garish Bear! ʕ•㉨•ʔ 500
  • 捕まりました☆ 500
I definitely have the habit of associating people with their avatars, in terms of gender, and in the even dumber sense of just having that be my picture of them until I see a real picture haha.

If I had a male avatar and someone called me "he" I wouldn't be too upset. Heck, even with my super girly style I still get called "Sir" every so often. lol Most conversations are one shots, and like, if it's gonna be a long conversation I might be like "oh i'm a girl" but usually it's not an issue for me. emotion_yatta
No I wouldn't feel bad calling someone the wrong gender on accident. Just like I wouldn't expect someone to feel bad if they got my gender wrong. Personally I tend to stick to they/them/their anyways since then I don't have to use any braincells trying to figure out what someone might be.

Golden Gawker

Quote:
Then you feel horrible because you don't want to refer to people the wrong way?

>>>: Why the heck would I feel horrible about it? neutral
Yeah I refer to most people on here as w/e their base is until I
know otherwise, because in a sense the avatar itself is what I'm
talking about, and not the person behind it. But I'm not going to
dabble further into this question because this is shitstorm territory :V

DatOtterGirl's Significant Otter

Sapphire Otter

Deny the word of the king? PFFT. I can! OVERTHROW MEMPHIS!

Wild Bookworm

+ Have you run into this problem before, or do you tend to refer everyone as "they" until you find out their preference?
I mostly go by avatar until I know, or am told, otherwise. I usually type he/she/it if I'm not sure.
+ What great titles can we give to our Gaian overlords, the wonderful employees of Gaia?
The what now confused Um, they're employees, like me, you, the people at the grocery store or whatever. As above.
+ Has someone referred to you in a different way before? Do you mind at all or do you go on to prevent the confusion from happening?
No, I am female and my avatar is always female.
+ Have YOU double fisted some Red Bulls today?
Is that a euphemism? ninja

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Miasmal Researcher 200
Deoxtri
Quote:
Then you feel horrible because you don't want to refer to people the wrong way?

>>>: Why the heck would I feel horrible about it? neutral
Yeah I refer to most people on here as w/e their base is until I
know otherwise, because in a sense the avatar itself is what I'm
talking about, and not the person behind it. But I'm not going to
dabble further into this question because this is shitstorm territory :V

This thread is meant in a sort of jokey and lighthearted way, so no this is not that kind of territory. This is more of a "whoops, I said the wrong thing teehee!" kind of thread rather than "THESE ARE SRS ISSUES HAPPENING RIGHT NOW" but I understand how someone could have taken it in a more serious light

I'll edit my thread a bit with some disclaimers so none of that happens <3

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Miasmal Researcher 200
RandomKate
Deny the word of the king? PFFT. I can! OVERTHROW MEMPHIS!

YOU WILL DOOM US ALL!! </3

but i would like to see some war happen hmmm

Time-traveling Senshi

Most of the time I refer to a staff member based on what the avatar is unless it's stated somewhere what their actual real world gender is. Then when I do know what we're supposed to call someone I get into a super pet peeved correct people mode when I see people calling said staff member by their avatar's gender. Bugs the heck out of me when I see people calling Narumi a she just because the avatar is a girl when on his profile it states he's a he. The only one I'm a little confused about is bluealaris. I've seen a lot of people go based on the avatar gender when a friend of mine uses she, which is what I think it really is as well as I think it's another reapersun type of situation.

Toxic Trendsetter

Chibi Halo

When we want to communicate with bluealaris, we slide an offering of coffee beans and kappa drawings under a solid metal door. There's some banging and shrieking sounds, and then a piece of paper slides back out with our daily instructions on it.

Time-traveling Senshi

Rance Clear
Chibi Halo

I'm not sure Bluealaris has a gender, or even a corporeal form.
Bluealaris is an experience

One of the nicest experiences you'll ever come across that leaves you with a sense of excitement and frustration at the same time, as is evident in the recent month or more of Alchemy updates. xp

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Miasmal Researcher 200
Chibi Halo

I absolutely called Narumi a she for the longest time before someone corrected me xD it's just not in my first thought to visit people's profiles so I usually learn how I should refer to the staff by trial and error. Not that I think they really mind since I'm sure people call them different things all the time.

Some staff have referred to bluealaris as a she so that's what I go by now. :33

edit: whoops, guess blue ISN'T a she. she is now an experience

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I normally go based off of someone's avatar to determine what sort of pronouns I use to describe them. It's just a lot easier that way, in my opinion. I don't get upset when people use the wrong gender to refer to me, so I normally don't get all bent out of shape about referring to someone as the wrong gender. I just apologize for assuming and move on.

In my opinion though, I don't think the staff of Gaia should get special pronouns. I mean, they're human, just like you and I. All humans are worth the same in my eyes. Nobody's special and nobody's worse. We just are.

Dantrech's Princess

Demure Trash

Rance Clear

emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!

on topic.. is weird when I call someone always by a gender and BOOM I found is opposite! sweatdrop then I start to feel bad for some reason

clarion's King

Super Model

People refer to me as /she/ all the time, but I'll ignore it unless the subject really calls for it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff