Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Hello Fellow Gaians,

I love to write. I will write just about anything, but lately I've been wanting to write some original stories that I am hoping to be published later. However, I have the issue that many of us have...I can't seem to get started. I've essentially got the whole story played out in my head and a general plot written down. I've even written parts of the story already, but I struggle with the beginning. Any tips?
start by simply explaining to yourself what you want the characters to be like, where your story takes place, what the conflict is, etc.

personally, i hate seeing bricks of text in the writing arena.

go back and reread everything as you write. try to keep it short (concise) and sweet. decent grammar is also appreciated.

my favorite piece of advice:
when you reread everything, do it in Morgan Freeman's voice. if your story inst intriguing and flowing then you goof'd.

Erebus86's Wife

I listen to music with lyrics when I write. That way, I can listen to something that will set the mood. That would usually start a sentence and may snowball into an idea. I would also recommend that you start out with a quote. That may help as well.
Start as close to where the main conflict begins as possible. Or whatever leads up to the main conflict.

Alternatively, some people like writing the parts they know first and fill in the blanks later. This method is a lot more work in regards to editing and making sure everything makes sense together, but it's definitely a plausible writing method.

Remember that it's just a rough draft. Do whatever you have to do to get started. You can always edit later and chances are the beginning will change as you write and develop the story anyway. Just think of it as what it is - a starting point. And get started.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff