Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Lunatic

c h i b iUser Imagem o o n

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

So I've been searching for the TV stations in the USA that Sailor Moon aired on during its First-Run Syndication.
I know that Sailor Moon first aired in Japan in 1992, then in France & Spain in 1993, and in Italy, Canada (on YTV), and USA in 1995.

I remember being 4 years old, watching Sailor Moon early in the morning before Kindergarten on some non-cable channel. But, I can't for the life of me remember the channel. I've looked around on Google, but so far, I can't get any names except for YTV.. Did YTV air in the USA, too, or something? Please help me out here~!! T^T It's bugging me so much.

Do any of you know? Or have the capacity to find out? Please share around with other Moonies if you can't figure it out, either. I pretty much NEED to know this information. Thank you so much to all who contribute or even just post. heart
I love you all~!!

私わ魔法少女!

Alien Cosmonaut

I think YTV might be a Canadian thing, my ex was Canadian and always told me she saw things like Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc on that station.

I've done a lot of digging and all I can find out is it did premiere on a basic cable channel as Classic and R were premiered in syndication. Will edit with which specific channel it is if I can find out before someone beats me to it. I'm almost positive it was CBS, I can check my 1995 SM VHS if it comes to that.

I have a scarily accurate memory for little details like this, but unfortunately I wasn't alive yet at this time. LOL

Fragmented Senshi

51,575 Points
  • Fragmented Reflection 500
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Noble Shade 100
Dunno about YTV. Seems familar, but I can't directly recall anything.

For my area it was Channel 25 (what is now channel 13). It would be the station that FOX plays on. It would be on sometime around 5am or 6am EST. Almost positive.

In the mid 90s it played on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. The one that played in the afternoon. Usually around 4pm EST is when it was played, since I had a Girl Scout meeting every Wednesday at that time which meant I would record that day's episode (along with Ronin Warriors) on my VCR. That I'm positive on.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
In the US it came on at USA channel in the mornings and then later on Cartoon Network's Toonami block in the afternoon. I started watching it on Cartoon Network's Toonami.

Sparkly Lunatic

Notorious Sailor Uranus
In the US it came on at USA channel in the mornings and then later on Cartoon Network's Toonami block in the afternoon. I started watching it on Cartoon Network's Toonami.

Sailor Seren
Dunno about YTV. Seems familar, but I can't directly recall anything.

For my area it was Channel 25 (what is now channel 13). It would be the station that FOX plays on. It would be on sometime around 5am or 6am EST. Almost positive.

In the mid 90s it played on Cartoon Network's Toonami block. The one that played in the afternoon. Usually around 4pm EST is when it was played, since I had a Girl Scout meeting every Wednesday at that time which meant I would record that day's episode (along with Ronin Warriors) on my VCR. That I'm positive on.

Bitway
I think YTV might be a Canadian thing, my ex was Canadian and always told me she saw things like Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc on that station.

I've done a lot of digging and all I can find out is it did premiere on a basic cable channel as Classic and R were premiered in syndication. Will edit with which specific channel it is if I can find out before someone beats me to it. I'm almost positive it was CBS, I can check my 1995 SM VHS if it comes to that.

I have a scarily accurate memory for little details like this, but unfortunately I wasn't alive yet at this time. LOL

Bitway - You have a VHS of it? If you could check, that would be super amazing heart
Sailor Seren - Channel 13 plays FOX? I'm used to it playing on Channel 11..
Notorious Sailor Uranus - The USA Channel!! Wasn't that Channel 13?

If you don't mind me asking, where were all 3 of you during that time? Specifically when it came on in the mornings back in 1995-1996? I lived in Missouri.

This link I just found says that it aired on UPN, was that Channel 13? I also see that on the wiki, it says it aired in the US by the USA Channel. Now I wonder... Which one was it? Or was it both depending on the location?

私わ魔法少女!
/align]

Fragmented Senshi

51,575 Points
  • Fragmented Reflection 500
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Noble Shade 100
Neo-Queen Chibiusa

It depends on location, even in the same state channels can be different. That's why I specified the name of the channel, and the number it was in my area.

I live in Massachusetts, and have stayed in the same region since the early 90s. I've cycled through 3-4 different providers, but 2 of them were actually the same company that just changed names.

See, UPN was my area's channel 25 I think. That's a station name I remember. Thing is, for my region I'm almost positive it wasn't the same channel as USA. I do know that what's the The CW (former was called WB56/Kids WB (for the Saturday morning blocks)) may have also aired Sailor Moon, and I might be confusing CW and FOX again. ^.^* We're talking 20 years ago, and they occasionally play the same things.

I don't remember any episodes coming on during "regular morning" hours >.< , the episodes I saw were always on around 6am EST {I can't remember what day though, I think during the week but it could've been a weekend), since I remember having to play with the volume and never have it above 3 or so because my parents would hear it and yell at me for being up and waking them up. The ones I'm more confident about are the ones from the Toonami afternoon block, and I think it might've played a few times on the Toonami Saturday night block (which turned into Adult Swim, which is now back to Toonami).

OH WAIT! May want to ignore my spoiler. Took a longer look at the link you provided! WPIX WB11 New York, NY M-F 6:30 AM. That's the one for my area. Wrong state, but right area of the US and right time slot. And that's for the original run.

For the the later airings (besides USA) this was for my area: WLVI WB56 Boston - Cambridge, MA. Except for the 98/99 run where it was: WFXT FOX25 Boston, MA - Manchester, NH.

XD Looks like I wasn't confused after all. It was on my area's FOX25 station, as well as WB/CW.

Alien Cosmonaut

Neo-Queen Chibiusa

Bitway - You have a VHS of it? If you could check, that would be super amazing heart

If you don't mind me asking, where were all 3 of you during that time? Specifically when it came on in the mornings back in 1995-1996? I lived in Missouri.

This link I just found says that it aired on UPN, was that Channel 13? I also see that on the wiki, it says it aired in the US by the USA Channel. Now I wonder... Which one was it? Or was it both depending on the location?

Unfortunately, I did take a look at my VHS and all it had was a preview to some show called Street Sharks - no mention of a specific channel at all. cry And the box just has DIC logos on it.

I'm actually one of the much younger Sailor Moon fans - I wasn't even alive yet when it first aired in the US. lol I wasn't born until early 1997 - actually exactly 1 week after the last Stars episode aired in Japan.

According to your link it did vary depending on location, being something that was aired in syndication. In Dallas-Fort Worth, where I'm from, it was on channel 27 KDFI which was a Fox-affiliated network. The station listed in Austin (where I grew up) was a WB-affiliate, channel 54 KNVA.

boybaka's Significant Otter

High-functioning Bookworm

19,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
I usually watched it on Cartoon Network. They also showed it on USA, right before Gargoyles, but that was only for a year or two because USA stopped showing cartoons not long after Sailor Moon came out.

boybaka's Significant Otter

High-functioning Bookworm

19,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Bitway
Neo-Queen Chibiusa

Unfortunately, I did take a look at my VHS and all it had was a preview to some show called Street Sharks - no mention of a specific channel at all. cry And the box just has DIC logos on it.

I'm actually one of the much younger Sailor Moon fans - I wasn't even alive yet when it first aired in the US. lol I wasn't born until early 1997 - actually exactly 1 week after the last Stars episode aired in Japan.

According to your link it did vary depending on location, being something that was aired in syndication. In Dallas-Fort Worth, where I'm from, it was on channel 27 KDFI which was a Fox-affiliated network. The station listed in Austin (where I grew up) was a WB-affiliate, channel 54 KNVA.

I remember that Street Sharks was part of USA's morning cartoon block too, if that helps.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
Neo-Queen Chibiusa

私わ魔法少女!

I was in middle school when it first came out. I think that it was on at like 5AM or 6AM, I didn't watch it back then I just remember one of my friends telling me that. She said that it came on UPN and then USA Channels (UPN became the USA Channel if I remember so they are the same thing) in the 90's and then by the time I was in middle school and high school it came back on Cartoon Network (when I started watching it officially). It would probably depend on what your local channels were back then. I live in Texas so that's probably why as for the channels changes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff