Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think is the most important part of a game?

The controls 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Level design 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Sound design 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Character design 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
A well-crafted story 0.375 37.5% [ 6 ]
Menu design & options 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Graphics/visual design 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Game mechanics 0.25 25.0% [ 4 ]
Special features and add-ons 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I can't pick just one 0.375 37.5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 16 ]
This poll closed on May 28, 2015.
No longer accepting new votes.

I need about 15 people for this so plz help. orz

Below are some questions about what you most look for in video games. You must select three answers you feel are most important to you when deciding to purchase your next video game. Here are the answers you may choose from.

1. The controls.
2. Level design.
3. Sound design (including voice acting and soundtrack.)
4. Character design.
5. A well-crafted story (including dialog and character roles.)
6. Menu design & options.
7. Graphics/visual design.
8. Game mechanics.
9. Special features and add-ons.

You are also free to explain your reasons for any of the answers you have selected.

Kawaii Shoujo

I chose the last option in the poll, due to the fact is that your list that you posted both in the poll and the other one are quite important. Though I do check for video games that I like/want if they are on the systems that I own.

Dainty Daredevil

15,950 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Elocutionist 200
game mechanics
well-crafted story
level design

although splatoon doesn't really have a story and that's the next game i'm picking up soo maybe put a multiplayer option in there? i'd say what's drawn me to that game out of the list is graphics/character design, mechanics, and uh maybe special features because amiibos.

and dwarf fortress is pretty popular despite how um i don't want to say "basic" because there is a steep learning curve, but yano
lots of cake
game mechanics
well-crafted story
level design

although splatoon doesn't really have a story and that's the next game i'm picking up soo maybe put a multiplayer option in there? i'd say what's drawn me to that game out of the list is graphics/character design, mechanics, and uh maybe special features because amiibos.

and dwarf fortress is pretty popular despite how um i don't want to say "basic" because there is a steep learning curve, but yano

I figured multiplayer would fall under game mechanics. I didn't know what to call stuff like combat and crafting and stuff. Maybe I'll add something like social connections or something? Thanks for participating.

Eloquent Muse

Graphics, mechanics, and story. Because I tend to spontaneously buy most of my games.

Time-traveling Partner

15,040 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Waffles! 25
While I chose the last option in poll (as it really is difficult for me to really choose), but to really choose:

Controls
If I can't really get the handle on the controls after countless tries, it's a lost cause for me. I don't mean to say games need super simple controls, but if I'm unable to do anything even after reading up/trying, then yeah.

Sound Design
Game can be horrible but as long as I love the soundtrack/voice acting/both, I'll keep playing it.

Graphics/Visual Design
I've always been a graphics/visuals lover when it comes to games. 99% of the time, I have picked up a game that I only got because of how it looked in previews/reveals/random gameplay videos.

And, since you said only 3, I'd like to give an honorary mention to Character Design. It's really not an important factor in me getting a game, but it definitely will keep me playing if I enjoy how the characters look throughout the game.

Though I sometimes just randomly get a game because of it being recommended to me or just going "oh this looks fun", so sometimes none of the above applies.

Ruthless Combatant

10,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
My list is not actually in order of what I look for, just in the order in which they appeared in the original list.

1. The controls. I like to have easy controls that are going to be similar from console to console. From Xbox to PS, the controllers are already similar in layout so the game controls should be the same.

2. Graphics/visual design. I love the older games with the 8-bit, 16- bit, and so on graphics, but I'm becoming used to the newer graphics that make it easier to distinguish items, buildings, people, etc. I prefer cleaner graphics.

3. Game mechanics. This is my actual first point. I understand some of you will put camera angles under controls, but in some games you cannot control the camera angles, and that bugs me to no end. Simple control of the camera that isn't on a hair-trigger or stuck at a certain angle depending where your character is standing on the level is what I look for when purchasing games. Since sometimes this cannot be determined before purchasing, especially when it's an impulse buy, I keep the game and just figure out how to work around the camera and hope the other two points don't irk me.

Sparkly Kitten

For me, it absolutely has to have a good story.
The game could have subpar graphics and character designs, and I wouldn't care.

Look at the game Ib, I love that game.
It's all pixels, and Ib's and Mary's designs are quite plain.
But I loved the story, and even the bad endings were great.

Another big thing for me is controls/mechanics.
I stopped playing Epic Mickey because controlling the camera was a hassle, and sometimes Micky shot his paint in completely the wrong direction.
I also stopped playing Alice Madness Returns because of gameplay problems.
There were a lot of invisible walls, and I just gave up after a while.
It's annoying not knowing which parts you're allowed to walk on.

Besides that, I guess there's difficulty...
I stop playing a lot of games that get stupidly difficult.
Like, I set my difficulty to "very easy" for a reason, because I suck and I just want to beat it.
But damn Square Enix games...
I get stuck on a lot of bosses, and usually it's not a problem that I could solve just by grinding.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff