Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
President Barack Obama has banned the US government from giving certain kinds of military-style equipment to local police forces.

The announcement follows criticism that police were too heavy handed in dealing with protests in Ferguson, Missouri, that turned violent last summer.

It means armoured vehicles on tracks, camouflage uniforms and grenade launchers will no longer be given out.

Tensions between police and African-American communities are strained.

A series of fatal shootings by police have increased mistrust and sparked protests across the US.

In Ferguson and in Baltimore, those protests turned violent, with looting and arson.

But the sight of police dressed in camouflage and riot gear dealing with protests provoked a storm of criticism.

The White House wants police to retain equipment they need to maintain public order.

But a review showed five federal agencies spent $18bn (£11.5bn) on programmes that gave them 92,442 small arms, 44,275 night-vision devices, 5,235 Humvees, 617 mine-resistant vehicles and 616 aircraft.

The study said there was a "substantial risk of misusing or overusing" gear like tracked armoured vehicles, and their presence could undermine trust in police.

What will be banned:

armoured vehicles that run on a tracked system instead of wheels
armed aircraft, ships or vehicles
firearms or ammunition of .50-calibre or higher
grenade launchers
bayonets
camouflage uniforms

And still allowed:

aeroplanes, helicopters and drones
wheeled armoured vehicles
wheeled tactical vehicles, such as Humvees and 5-ton trucks
command and control vehicles
explosives and pyrotechnics
riot helmets, shields and extra-large batons

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32786241

Yes you read that right. Bayonets.
I'm...not aware of any US police force (other than MP's) that used armed fighter jers or attack helicopters. Same goes for .50 calibure ammo, tracked armored vehicles....there's a lot of stuff in that list I don't know of any municipal police force using.

I sense a lot of grandstanding with this one. Never let a tragedy go to waste as the saying goes...

Beloved Hellraiser

10,325 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
Good. There's no reason for police to have that kind of weaponry

Wintry Dragon

Aw. No more camous. xd

Tipsy Pieslinger

--Sky Kid Tai--
I'm...not aware of any US police force (other than MP's) that used armed fighter jers or attack helicopters. Same goes for .50 calibure ammo, tracked armored vehicles....there's a lot of stuff in that list I don't know of any municipal police force using.

I sense a lot of grandstanding with this one. Never let a tragedy go to waste as the saying goes...

cop tank
sheriff tank
and my personal favorite
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This was after a quick google search, and I only used the images where the location name was clearly visible.

So, yes. I'm all in favor for this. There just isn't a good reason for a regular police force to have that kind of crazy stuff.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
What will be banned:

grenade launchers
bayonets
camouflage uniforms

So this sort of sounds like a political move to make people happy.
I don't know of any police abuse / shootings etc where this equipment was used except for maybe the camos. And camos don't do much in a city except maybe make someone feel intimidated.

How many police forces re using 50 cal plus guns and grenade launchers?
And tracked armored vehicles are likely to just tear up the streets so most forces would want wheeled ones. About the only use I can see for them is hostage standoffs either on the side of a mountain or in the middle of an ice storm. smile

And bayonets?
Are there any news stories out there about dude was resisting arrest so I stabbed him with my bayonet?

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
David2074
What will be banned:

grenade launchers
bayonets
camouflage uniforms

I don't know of any police abuse / shootings etc where this equipment was used except for maybe the camos. And camos don't do much in a city except maybe make someone feel intimidated.

And tracked armored vehicles are likely to just tear up the streets so most forces would want wheeled ones. About the only use I can see for them is hostage standoffs either on the side of a mountain or in the middle of an ice storm. smile

And bayonets?
Are there any news stories out there about dude was resisting arrest so I stabbed him with my bayonet?

I see this and just think HUH? I've never even HEARD of police using tracked vehicles, much less armored aircraft and ships. And GRENADE LAUNCHERS?! I hope they meant teargas launchers, because I think that a lot of teargas canisters fit in most grenade launchers. confused

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Kaiser Khorosho
David2074
What will be banned:

grenade launchers
bayonets
camouflage uniforms

And bayonets?

I see this and just think HUH? I've never even HEARD of police using tracked vehicles, much less armored aircraft and ships. And GRENADE LAUNCHERS?! I hope they meant teargas launchers, because I think that a lot of teargas canisters fit in most grenade launchers. confused

Well, that's a possible reason for them.
I don't know what cops normally use but certainly some launchers can launch both grenades and tear gas.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"A U.S. Marine holding an American model M-32 6-shot 40 mm launcher, which can be used as a grenade launcher or riot gun depending on the ammunition used."

But another way to restrict that is just not sell law enforcement agencies the grenades.
Kind of like how you can buy more normal guns but they don't sell certain kinds of ammunition.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
arctic eyes

You missed the point: Police weren't buying .50 caliber machine guns, treaded vehicles, jets, bayonets, or any of the other things on this list.

This isn't "good," this is feel-good legislation that ultimately does nothing to stop the problem at hand while simultaneously making low-information members of the populace ( like yourself ) think "Good, it's about time they did something."

You want to know what police departments ARE buying and using? Service rifles, sniper rifles, wheeled armored vehicles, and similar things that are useful in urban warfare, none of which will be restricted by this particular ban.

Quotable Prophet

So, what was the point of this law again?
Keltoi Samurai
arctic eyes

You missed the point: Police weren't buying .50 caliber machine guns, treaded vehicles, jets, bayonets, or any of the other things on this list.

This isn't "good," this is feel-good legislation that ultimately does nothing to stop the problem at hand while simultaneously making low-information members of the populace ( like yourself ) think "Good, it's about time they did something."

You want to know what police departments ARE buying and using? Service rifles, sniper rifles, wheeled armored vehicles, and similar things that are useful in urban warfare, none of which will be restricted by this particular ban.

The article says otherwise.
Nobody Famous
So, what was the point of this law again?

At this moment it isn't even a law, as for its point, I have no idea.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
God Emperor Baldur
Keltoi Samurai
arctic eyes

It most certainly does not.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
God Emperor Baldur
Keltoi Samurai
arctic eyes

Where, pray tell, in the article does it say otherwise? All of the things Keltoi listed are not on the list of banned items. Hell, most of those things have been in use way before they started giving the police old military equipment.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Welp, this doesnt really solve the problem. There is still mistrust between citizens & police officers, nor does it stop unethical police restraint. Not saying all cops are bad, but when I have to question or pray I have a 'good' cop helping me...that presents a problem in itself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff