Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Nymph

She Was Phone
Pessimist
Oh boy, can't wait to see this make Cracked's next edition of "6 Fake Internet Stories".

Can we just go ahead and put the Daily Mail into the same stratum as The Onion? It may be a bit of an insult to The Onion, but theoretically we'd end up with less people falling for their stories.
To be fair, the BBC reported the story as well. I read the translation from their Swahili page before commenting here, assuming them to be reliable. Oh, Auntie Beeb, how could you fail me so? gonk

Yeah, that's a disappointment. One would think the BBC would be more hesitant to report something from a sketchy source. I guess they really needed the page views that day. xp

Kawaii Guildswoman

8,050 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Loiterer 100
A mali
David2074
KingNot

Possibly this story is not true.
I ran across a site that had this update to the story:

Update 5/15; 11:24 p.m. EST: Though the BBC reported this story locally on Wednesday, 5/13, upon further review, we learned the story is over a year old and from a disputed source. We apologize for the error.
That's a relief.

I agree. Saves me a lot of time thinking about something so gross in the first place. sweatdrop

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
DontTouchMySundae
David2074
DontTouchMySundae
Hhhhhooollly s**t. eek
Doesn't human flesh taste differently than animals?
Also how the ******** could they not tell earlier? I'm pretty sure there would be a smell.

I think the bigger factor is most people don't know what it tastes like.
Many times I have eaten meat I did not know for sure what it was. If the pieces are small, enough spices and sauce etc it can be difficult to tell. But while you might not be sure if the meat in your stew is chicken or pork your brain does not usually include "human" as one of the options.

And no reason there should be any more or less smell because it is human.
Decaying flesh smells pretty much the same no matter what kind.
And non-decaying flesh does not smell (much) no matter what kind. I've been around a lot of dead things over the years (except rotting human) and decomp smells like decomp. It's pretty universal.
But my guess is they just put the extras in a freezer or something util they were ready to dump it some place else.
Not sure what was up with the bloody heads in plastic bags though.

All in all a pretty gross story that sounds would normally like a hoax but apparently not.

And OMG at the average daily wage being 60p (.6 Naria)
I just looked up the currency. 1 US dollar = 199 Naria.
So they are saying the average daily wage in Nigeria is about 3 cents US if I'm doing the math correctly.

Hm, I sort of thought it would smell different, guess not.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Maybe they put them in bags cause they ran out of freezer room? I'm more wondering on how they got so many dead people to make a RESTAURANT with.
And s**t, how do they live on that. gonk

Well, see my other post. I found another source that said this story is a year old and came from a questionable source so may not be true.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Well that's certainly one way to spread prion disease. Ugh. I've heard we taste like really greasy pork, hence why some cannibal tribes used to call humans 'long pig'.

Greedy Pirate

11,600 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Mark Twain 100
Pessimist
She Was Phone
Pessimist
Oh boy, can't wait to see this make Cracked's next edition of "6 Fake Internet Stories".

Can we just go ahead and put the Daily Mail into the same stratum as The Onion? It may be a bit of an insult to The Onion, but theoretically we'd end up with less people falling for their stories.
To be fair, the BBC reported the story as well. I read the translation from their Swahili page before commenting here, assuming them to be reliable. Oh, Auntie Beeb, how could you fail me so? gonk

Yeah, that's a disappointment. One would think the BBC would be more hesitant to report something from a sketchy source. I guess they really needed the page views that day. xp
Note that they did not say it wasn't true, just that it was from a disputed source and took place last year if it did happen. Africa is such a ******** continent that none of us would be surprised if the story were real. They do still eat people there, why should we be surprised if they eat meat from dark-skinned people as well as albinos?

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
David2074
DontTouchMySundae
David2074
DontTouchMySundae
Hhhhhooollly s**t. eek
Doesn't human flesh taste differently than animals?
Also how the ******** could they not tell earlier? I'm pretty sure there would be a smell.

I think the bigger factor is most people don't know what it tastes like.
Many times I have eaten meat I did not know for sure what it was. If the pieces are small, enough spices and sauce etc it can be difficult to tell. But while you might not be sure if the meat in your stew is chicken or pork your brain does not usually include "human" as one of the options.

And no reason there should be any more or less smell because it is human.
Decaying flesh smells pretty much the same no matter what kind.
And non-decaying flesh does not smell (much) no matter what kind. I've been around a lot of dead things over the years (except rotting human) and decomp smells like decomp. It's pretty universal.
But my guess is they just put the extras in a freezer or something util they were ready to dump it some place else.
Not sure what was up with the bloody heads in plastic bags though.

All in all a pretty gross story that sounds would normally like a hoax but apparently not.

And OMG at the average daily wage being 60p (.6 Naria)
I just looked up the currency. 1 US dollar = 199 Naria.
So they are saying the average daily wage in Nigeria is about 3 cents US if I'm doing the math correctly.

Hm, I sort of thought it would smell different, guess not.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Maybe they put them in bags cause they ran out of freezer room? I'm more wondering on how they got so many dead people to make a RESTAURANT with.
And s**t, how do they live on that. gonk

Well, see my other post. I found another source that said this story is a year old and came from a questionable source so may not be true.

Awww damn. gonk I guess it did look a little strange to be true....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff