Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
I grew up in an Atheist household, which wasnt exactly normal back in my day since most people in my hometown were Christian. Now its not a big deal. I personally just dont care. Im not Atheist or Agnostic, I just dont care (if this has a label, thats cool). People can believe what they want to believe in. I dont believe in anything, and Im not curious about it either. I guess it is kinda crazy, but I grew up without it so I never stressed either, life goes on, and then we die. Its simple >.>

Lucky Noob

Little Dead Soldier
I grew up in an Atheist household, which wasnt exactly normal back in my day since most people in my hometown were Christian. Now its not a big deal. I personally just dont care. Im not Atheist or Agnostic, I just dont care (if this has a label, thats cool). People can believe what they want to believe in. I dont believe in anything, and Im not curious about it either. I guess it is kinda crazy, but I grew up without it so I never stressed either, life goes on, and then we die. Its simple >.>
I think that's just called non-religious/irreligious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I've always thought I was agnostic because I feel like there may be something, but I don't know and can't really place my beliefs anywhere.

It's not that I think there is or isn't a God, just that I'm open to ideas? Because I don't know?

But I can't say for anyone else.
Gay African Mammoth
No Peace Under False Sky
Generally, a person claiming agnosticism in this situation is either in flux, or merely on the fence. It's not really being an atheist because it's not really consistent.
You don't have to be "consistent" to be an atheist or a theist. You could be one, one hour and the other the next depending on your current belief situation. Just because you're unsure doesn't mean you're on a fence.
No, that's exactly what it means. You are noncommittal, and describe yourself as such. To use a descriptor like theist or atheist would be absurd because you are trying to use definite terms to describe a specifically flexible thing.

Quote:
In the question of "do you believe in a god" saying "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" or "I'm on the fence" are all choosing to withhold belief because you aren't sure if the evidence is in to believe. Thus meaning you don't believe, at least for the moment.
They don't believe the opposite either. They're on the fence about all of it. It's not just "I don't strongly believe in a god(s)," it's also "but i don't strongly believe it can all be explained without one either."

It is a passive rejection of two active stances... ergo "agnostic" is a more accurate descriptor because while their belief in one or the other might fluctuate, their agnosticism remains indefinite. Just plain old "agnostic" gets the point across immediately, whereas calling yourself an atheist, where you might change your mind 3 times a day, would be giving someone the short end of the stick.

Consistency is the key, and if they are inconsistent between things, you describe them by their inconsistency.

Profitable Gekko

No Peace Under False Sky
They don't believe the opposite either. They're on the fence about all of it. It's not just "I don't strongly believe in a god(s)," it's also "but i don't strongly believe it can all be explained without one either."

I'm sorry, I'm typing this up before work so it's gonna be sorta short ;p. But what is happening is that you don't know exactly how belief works, and I'm trying to make that sound as unoffensive as possible. When you believe in something, you know that you believe in it. Your belief is active. I know that I believe in the big bang, I know that I believe in gravity, I know that I believe that burgers are delicious and yet bad for me. When you believe in something you know that you believe in it even if you aren't sure if it's true or something. I'm trying to keep this unword salady. In the question of a belief in something, you really either do believe or you don't. Not believing encompasses not being sure, and not believing. Not being sure and withholding belief until evidence is in, is still obviously not believing. There isn't a middle ground between I do believe and I don't believe, and I get how that's scary for people who're still deciding. But they aren't necessarily taking a definitive stance, they'er asking for the proof before they actively believe.

Quote:
It is a passive rejection of two active stances... ergo "agnostic" is a more accurate descriptor because while their belief in one or the other might fluctuate, their agnosticism remains indefinite. Just plain old "agnostic" gets the point across immediately, whereas calling yourself an atheist, where you might change your mind 3 times a day, would be giving someone the short end of the stick.

And once again this is what I've seen in this thread mostly so far. People not knowing the meanings and definitions and mixing them up. Only one of the two stances in terms of Atheist and Theist, is necessarily active. Belief is active, a lack of belief...is just a lack of a belief. If you feel like Atheism is disbelief, you're sorta right in that someone can choose to disbelieve and be an theist, but someone who lacks a belief is also an atheist. Atheism is more or less the middle ground that people so desperately want to sit on. It's "I haven't been shown the proof, so I don't believe yet". Agnostic is a claim on knowledge and you use it injunction with your current belief to explain deeper what your stance is. An agnostic atheist or theist are people who don't know if it's possible to know if a god exist but hold no beliefs in one/holds a belief in one.

Although I do get your point...that would be a hard person to pin-down interms of their belief or a lack of a belief if they're constantly switching throught out the day. So I get that the stance "agnostic" could be useful in the way that people are using it, aka a stance on belief and not a stance on knowledge. But it's still being used wrong.

Quote:
Consistency is the key, and if they are inconsistent between things, you describe them by their inconsistency
THis sounds smart, I don't really know what to say to it.

Profitable Gekko

Shark Bacon
I've always thought I was agnostic because I feel like there may be something, but I don't know and can't really place my beliefs anywhere.

It's not that I think there is or isn't a God, just that I'm open to ideas? Because I don't know?

But I can't say for anyone else.
That means you're a skeptical person, and that's a good thing. We don't have any proof that there is no good at all, and we don't have proof that there is one. So to say that there is or isn't one is intellectually dishonest.

Being an agnostic though, doesn't mean that you believe that there's a chance, but haven't put your money somewhere yet. Agnostic more so means that you don't claim to know for sure, and in relation to a god it means you don't claim to know that a god does or doesn't exist. You use it in junction with your stance on belief which is either theist, or atheist essentially.

You aren't a believer at the moment, someone who isn't a believer is not a theist. The definition "not a theist" is Atheist. And Atheist can mean the disbelief in a god, or the simple lack of a belief until the burden of proof is met.

Profitable Gekko

Little Dead Soldier
A friend told me that that's the definition of an apatheist, I guess xD. But if someone asks you if you believe or not and you respond "I don't care", then you aren't really answering the question so much as you are walking away from it xD. The only way to not be an atheist, is to be a theist ;Y. That's kinda how the word works. It's kinda making me feel like a villain to alert people to how these words work, over and over again when they seem to not want them ;p.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Gay African Mammoth
Little Dead Soldier
A friend told me that that's the definition of an apatheist, I guess xD. But if someone asks you if you believe or not and you respond "I don't care", then you aren't really answering the question so much as you are walking away from it xD. The only way to not be an atheist, is to be a theist ;Y. That's kinda how the word works. It's kinda making me feel like a villain to alert people to how these words work, over and over again when they seem to not want them ;p.

I usually tell people that Im not religious, and if they ask why, I just tell them that I rather not talk about it (nicely, of course). Im not against people telling me that I belong in some group or term, because a word means what its means (Ive just never looked it up). I dont hate people that believe in God or have religious beliefs. I just dont have any & Im happy the way I am. I live life as it is presented & then Ill will die. I dont believe/care that God exists or doesnt exist. I literally have no opinion or feelings on the matter. ^^;;

Profitable Gekko

Little Dead Soldier
Gay African Mammoth
Little Dead Soldier

I usually tell people that Im not religious, and if they ask why, I just tell them that I rather not talk about it (nicely, of course). Im not against people telling me that I belong in some group or term, because a word means what its means (Ive just never looked it up). I dont hate people that believe in God or have religious beliefs. I just dont have any & Im happy the way I am. I live life as it is presented & then Ill will die. I dont believe/care that God exists or doesnt exist. I literally have no opinion or feelings on the matter. ^^;;
Well thanks for staying pleasant about it ;p. What you're describing is an atheist. A lack of a belief and or the rejection of a belief in a god. Specifically an agnostic atheist: someone who makes no claim on knowing if one exists but holds no belief. Or an apatheist atheist...I'm not really sure where apatheist fits in terms of knowledge or belief. I feel the same way, I'm just living life until I die. I'm not even afraid of it anymore, not since I accepted that everything and everyone has to end eventually. As much as it sucks to be asked to leave the party ;p.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Gay African Mammoth
Little Dead Soldier
Gay African Mammoth
Little Dead Soldier

Well thanks for staying pleasant about it ;p. What you're describing is an atheist. A lack of a belief and or the rejection of a belief in a god. Specifically an agnostic atheist: someone who makes no claim on knowing if one exists but holds no belief. Or an apatheist atheist...I'm not really sure where apatheist fits in terms of knowledge or belief. I feel the same way, I'm just living life until I die. I'm not even afraid of it anymore, not since I accepted that everything and everyone has to end eventually. As much as it sucks to be asked to leave the party ;p.

I looked up Apatheist just now, and it pretty much summed it up in regards of what I am/believe. Even if there was a God or Gods, it wouldnt affect my life at all, and I would still be the same. I respect other people & their beliefs, because I live by the "dont be a di*k to others" code.
Mm, I guess I was told young that Death isnt something to be afraid of and I never feared it. Im more curious than scared. I would like to take bets on what the afterlife is like, but since I cant come back and win my jackpot if I guessed right...its kinda pointless ;-;

Profitable Gekko

Little Dead Soldier
Gay African Mammoth
Little Dead Soldier
Gay African Mammoth
Little Dead Soldier

I looked up Apatheist just now, and it pretty much summed it up in regards of what I am/believe. Even if there was a God or Gods, it wouldnt affect my life at all, and I would still be the same. I respect other people & their beliefs, because I live by the "dont be a di*k to others" code.
Mm, I guess I was told young that Death isnt something to be afraid of and I never feared it. Im more curious than scared. I would like to take bets on what the afterlife is like, but since I cant come back and win my jackpot if I guessed right...its kinda pointless ;-;

I would be an apatheist if I didn't openly hate religion for spreading hate, and making good people do bad things because they feel like that's what a good believer would do, and what their god wants. I hate religion, but I don't dislike people who are religious, just felt like that was an important distinction I had to make. I mean if a god did turn out to exist, it wouldn't alter my life either, I wouldn't suddenly start to follow any dogmas or change the way that I am, because I only do that for logic and reason.

I don't respect anything that doesn't make sense, but I won't be mean to someone just because I don't respect their beliefs. I've never encountered someone who had a good reason for believing in a god. Or a reason that wasn't essentially because they were raised to believe or because they just want to. Tends to be what it boils down to.

For me finding death unintimidating came to me when I stopped believing in a god, and a possibility of hell :V. I did used to believe at one point, but it was because everyone around me did, and I just didn't have the skills to think critically enough to figure it out for myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff