Welcome to Gaia! ::

Girl

people?
I don't think it's entirely down to 'more representation'.
Is it a subconscious form of birth control? Is it a sign of progression into a more androgynous/less gender role-ed society?

Professional Roisterer

i think more likely its that more social awareness of trans and lgbt lifestyles and issues, coupled with a slightly more accepting and put-together lgbt community, means more people are feeling safe enough to be out and to speak up about their experiences. It's not that the numbers have changed as much as it's that people finally know that they're not alone, and are more networked than before.
or maybe you just notice them more due to the media attention.

Is it a subconscious form of birth control?
no.

Is it a sign of progression into a more androgynous/less gender role-ed society?
yes.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I think it's because there is more media coverage about it.
Way back when, if you were gay/insert the rest here, you kept it under wraps. The romance was kept at home unless you wanted to lose your head.
Nowadays people are a wee bit open to it and there are daily articles in the media that covers the life of LGBTQetc- so we notice that there are more people of another spectrum of gender and sexuality.
It's not really a new trend.

I remember 10-15 years ago people said the same thing. That being bi was 'trendy' because every other girl insisted she was.

I think there's been a slight increase because it's become safer, more common and less shameful to identify publicly as LGB. Still have a ways to go with transgenders which is still about 20-30 years behind LGB in terms of social acceptance, protection laws, etc.

It's not a progression to a gender-less society. Being gay/lesbian does not mean you dislike your gender so even if 50% of the population was G/L it still wouldn't be a march towards genderlessness.

Adorable Fisher

Put simply, we're more able to communicate with each other. With the rise of social media, it just looks like there's more of us because we're all talking all at once. Before social media, it appeared there were few of us in wherever we happened to be, like a small town or even a city. We're also more able to organize on a grand scale for events, so there might be a flood of lgbt in your town at any given moment for an event. Things like that. There's always been this many lgbt.
Because it's socially acceptable, now.

The amount of them isn't "on the rise", they just aren't closeted anymore.

God I feel like spewing a bunch of hateful, bigoted s**t up in here that I don't even mean, what's wrong with me?? I think I need medication.

#ugly-straight-girl-who-can't-get-a-man problems, somebody shoot me stressed
The fact that I attract faggoty, subby types who think I might be "into it" really isn't helping my attitude, either.

I don't want to be your mommy/daddy/dom, Jesus Christ.

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image the times are changing
otakucide
people?
I don't think it's entirely down to 'more representation'.
Is it a subconscious form of birth control? Is it a sign of progression into a more androgynous/less gender role-ed society?

A wider acceptance of homosexuality means less people need to hide it.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I think there's a lot of things that cause the "increase," if there even is one. I think maybe right now, it's just getting a lot of media attention, so it feels like there's an increase, but in reality, there's not.

But if there is, I would say it's because there's a more accepting attitude about it now, people are less afraid to "come out" than they were in the past.

And the spectrum is widening. People that were just different are now included in the group, and there's new "categories." Pansexual, asexual, or even just questioning people all fit into this one wide category of LGBT(QIA? Is that right? ).

I dunno. But mostly, I feel like it's the media, making it seem bigger than it is.

Celestial Dog

It literally is just 'more representation'

There aren't more LGBT folks out there than there were in the past, there are just more who are out and able to live their lives freely.

Society is more aware of them and marginally more understanding.
Propaganda. These people have been here, and now we see them

Feral Cultist

because they aren't afraid anymore

Sparkly Duck

Foxydoe

I don't want to be your mommy/daddy/dom, Jesus Christ. Apparently being confident/outgoing/sassy = being a giant dyke/dom, too. Yeah. No.

You mean you don't intend to dominate us? neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces