Welcome to Gaia! ::

Warning: this topic is about female reproduction. If you are not mature enough to discuss these matters please do not post and bring any unnecessary stress to woman who already have enough to deal with. Anyone with fertility problems or endometriosis or any concern is welcome.

What is PCOS?

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common endocrine system disorder among women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS may have enlarged ovaries that contain small collections of fluid located in each ovary as seen during an ultrasound exam. It is very common as approximately 5-10% woman of child baring age have this.

A diagnosis is usually made when you have any two of the following:
Irregular, infrequent periods or no periods
More facial or body hair than is usual for you
Blood tests which show higher testosterone levels than normal (mine was higher insulin)
Ultrasound scan showing polycystic ovaries (mine showed none)

Symptoms:
infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods
excess hair growth
acne
obesity/weight gain/difficulty losing weight
elevated levels of male hormones
thinning scalp hair

Causes:
mostly unknown
excess insulin
low white blood count
not strictly inherited from parents to children, but it may run in some families
being overweight or obese

Can result in:
Type 2 diabetes (10–20%)
High blood pressure (but this could be due to being overweight as well)
Cholesterol and lipid abnormalities
Metabolic syndrome — increased risk of cardiovascular disease
Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis — a severe liver inflammation
Infertility
Miscarriage
Sleep apnea
Depression and anxiety
Abnormal uterine bleeding
Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer), due to constant exposure to high lvls of estrogen and less than 3 periods a year
Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure
Increased risk of stroke/heart disease later in life due to the long-term insulin resistance
Preemies

Treatments (not cures):
Lose weight (aim for foods with a low glycaemic index [low GI])
Unwanted hair can be treated as normal, also see spironolactone
Medication- Metformin, spironolactone (not when TTC), birth control
Acne can be treated like normal, also see spironolactone
Birth control pills to help regulate your periods
Fertility treatments

Brightside:
PCOS does not increase your chance of breast, cervical or ovarian cancer (except in case of endometrial cancer).

Websites (all offer info of course):
PCOS Diva - diet
PCOS Diet Support - diet and success story
PCOS Foundation - support group in your area
Patient Info - more details
La Leche League- breastfeeding with PCOS

Thank you Pretty pretty bacon for the following on ttc:
Surviving Infertility Treatments: What I want you to know

Thank you MegaTurkey for the following:
Patient Info 2 - long-term info

Extra:
Do Summer 2015
Thank you to Pretty pretty bacon for the following:

Here's some great articles and blog posts I have come across. I will add to this periodically. As someone who was diognosed as a teen, I highly reccomend posting the "open letter to teens with PCOS" to somewhere in the first post. There is so little support and info out there for teens specifically .

Blog Posts

An Open Letter to Teens With PCOS

Written in letter format, this blog/article provides accurate info and support to teens recently diognosed with PCOS.

Link to "Open Letter to Teens with PCOS"

Articles

Procreation: Women Share Stories of Infertility Through Artwork

Article discusses ways people have utilized art to vividly tell their infertility story, in efforts of spreading awareness and expressing their feelings.

Link to "Woman Share Stories of Infertility Through Artwork"

Personal note - As cliche as it sounds, I really do believe art is an amazing way of expressing and working out feelings. I went to an art school for my undergrad degree and was fortunate to have a teacher who let us create a project that would be so personal to us, we didn't even have to tell her what it was about. I was 2 years into my PCOS journey at that point and thought I had worked through my fears and emotions about it, but I chose it as my subject anyway. I created a plexiglass box, filled with my medication at the time (Yasmin and spironolactone) on one corner, and baby items (pacifier, baby toy/blanket, and a bib as a rug) and a naked Barbie doll with a question mark (?) on her stomach, on the opposite corner. After gluing everything in place, I wrote the various symptoms, fears, and future health concerns related to PCOS in different colors, cut them out, and tossed them in like confetti. Once completed, I glued the top piece to the plexiglass box and sandblasted it, to symbolize PCOS and how vague I feel my future in having children is. I cried so much making the project and It felt like a boulder was lifted from my shoulders after. I had a lot of support from my teacher (old women who identifies as child-free, and hinted at one point she has had an abortion) so I did tell her the meaning behind it. She loved it and even included it as the few she took photos of for examples for her future classes doing the project.
Quick and general info guides for diets:
~side note- eat only a single serving of everything. Due to PCOS and your body's way of digesting, its better to eat about 200-300 calories less than your recommended calorie amount. Please adjust as needed by adding or removing snacks. You can download "My Fitness Pal" app for free to help with calorie counting~

Paleo:

EAT:____________________________________DON’T EAT:
Grass-produced meats_____________________ Cereal grains
Fish/seafood_____________________________ Legumes (including peanuts)
Fresh fruits and veggies____________________Dairy
Eggs___________________________________ Refined sugar
Nuts and seeds___________________________Potatoes
Healthful oils (Olive, walnut, flaxseed,________ Processed foods
macadamia, avocado, coconut)_____________ Salt
_______________________________________ Refined vegetable oils

Pro-
Rich in soluble fiber, antioxidant vitamins, phytochemicals, omega-3 fatty acids, monounsaturated fat, and low-glycemic carbohydrates.
Gluten free and low in added sugars, trans fats, salt, and high-glycemic carbohydrates

Con-
Heavily reliant on meat
Falls short on some micronutrients, namely calcium and vitamin D.

Paleo Diet 101
Beginner's Guide to Paleo
330 Simple Paleo Recipes
Paleo Meal Plan

Low GI diet:

Can eat anything on a low gi scale

Pro -
Lower your risk of heart disease
Curb inflammation
Created for diabetects and insulin resistant people
Lose weight and keep it off

Con-
GI response of foods can vary tremendously from person to person, and can even change within the same person from day to day
Very difficult to gauge whether or not the diet is actually being followed correctly

GI food list
American Diabetes Association
Web MD
7 day low GI Meal Plan

Keto diet:

Same as Paleo but can eat some carbs and dairy

Pro-
Improved Fat Loss
Original intended benefit of inducing ketosis was to prevent epileptic seizures

Con-
Highly restrictive nutritional guidelines
Consuming a high-fat diet to sustain ketosis can be detrimental to your long-term health

Pintrest keto diet for PCOS
Reddit Keto recipes
The Charlie Foundation - keto info
Keto Diet Menu
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
Paleo Diet vs Glycemic Index Diet

Ketogenic Diet vs Paleo Diet

Thank you 1-800-OMG-STFU for the following (I in no way am saying to spend any money, these are simply success stories from dieters on low-carb) :
PCOS weight loss success 1
PCOS weight loss success 2
PCOS weight loss success 3
-Reserved-
Questions:

When were you diagnosed?

What medications have you been taking?

Has it progressed?

Cured? (I know it can't be cured. What I mean is are you at a place where you have cycles and such without the use of medicines.)

Have you been able to conceive?

If so how long did it take?

Feelings on adoption or surrogate mothers?

Things you have done to help?

Personal info:
When were you diagnosed?

Metformin, though doctor says if he doesn't see results this month he will turn to more drastic medications.

Has it progressed?

Went from having my menstrual cycle normally to once every two months, till finally maybe once a year.

Cured? (I know it can't be cured. What I mean is are you at a place where you have cycles and such without the use of medicines.)
No.

No.

I used to think that it would be fine but now... its hard to admit but I don't think I would because those kids as much as I would love them wouldn't be mine. I wouldn't have the wonderful experience of being pregnant. Maybe thats selfish.

Personal info:

I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago when my husband and I started trying to have kids. I have always had irregular menstrual cycles and had gone to the doctor quite a few times always being told I'm fine. Well last year I went again and the doctor said it may be PCOS. I was shocked. I had been waiting all this time to have kids and now I may never get them! We did ultrasounds and blood work and the only thing showing was my insulin was off, but not by diabetic standards. Even with two ultrasounds, inside and outside, no cysts were found. So he put me on Metformin 500mg 3x a day. That didn't help and now I'm on it 750mg 2x a day. Does anyone else here have that issue? Its so hard for me because I want a child so much but nothing seems to be getting me to ovulate. I've lost over 20lbs and am trying to eat healthier, I've even found things online that supposedly help with PCOS by changing your eating habits. No one in my family knows about it except my husband and my mother. It hurts every time someone comes to me asking why I haven't had kids, or when my husband mentions something about it. I know they don't mean to make me upset, they don't even know but it makes me feel inadequate.?

Blessed Gaian

5,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200

I'm really sorry to hear this.
I'm not going to say "I understand" because that
would mean I'm going through the same thing, but
I do get where you're coming from because I have a close
friend that was diagnosed with PCOS.
Don't get discouraged! All things happen for
a reason, and I believe in due time you will
have a precious baby. Keep trying, and don't
up!

You can add me or PM me if you need someone
to talk to :]
heart
My periods suck. On bad days it feels like someone is trying to twist a corksrew through my belly into my back; on good days I'm just insanely horny, I want to ride everything with a c**k & a pulse.

Thank ******** Christ I don't have to deal with all that other s**t, too.

Adorable Fisher

Sounds to me like you need to find an ob/gyn who specializes in helping women who have difficulties getting pregnant (possibly with a specialty in PCOS cases). They are out there.

I have PCOS. Its progressed quite a lot. I know I'll never have children biologically, but that doesn't bother me because I didn't actually want biological kids for many reasons. Like, I do want kids. I just don't want biological ones because batshit crazy runs in my family and a batshit crazy kid is literally my nightmare. I don't want to be stabbed in the dark. But I digress.

My endocrinologist told me that when you get pregnant the PCOS goes away because the body "resets" but I think bullshit was just coming out of her mouth... But you never know.

There's many forums where women with PCOS are trying to get pregnant, support forums. They're usually on independent, niche websites about the subject. I suggest looking to those for comfort and more specialized advice in short order. I don't doubt you could find friends on these websites where you could even be in contact over the phone safely. Sounds like it could be what you need. These women may even be able to suggest specialty ob/gyns in your area. It could be worth a shot.

Good luck. For real.
Foxydoe
My periods suck. On bad days it feels like someone is trying to twist a corksrew through my belly into my back; on good days I'm just insanely horny, I want to ride everything with a c**k & a pulse.

Thank ******** Christ I don't have to deal with all that other s**t, too.

One of my friends has horrible cramps. She has endometriosis
MarigoldMari
Sounds to me like you need to find an ob/gyn who specializes in helping women who have difficulties getting pregnant (possibly with a specialty in PCOS cases). They are out there.

I have PCOS. Its progressed quite a lot. I know I'll never have children biologically, but that doesn't bother me because I didn't actually want biological kids for many reasons. Like, I do want kids. I just don't want biological ones because batshit crazy runs in my family and a batshit crazy kid is literally my nightmare. I don't want to be stabbed in the dark. But I digress.

My endocrinologist told me that when you get pregnant the PCOS goes away because the body "resets" but I think bullshit was just coming out of her mouth... But you never know.

There's many forums where women with PCOS are trying to get pregnant, support forums. They're usually on independent, niche websites about the subject. I suggest looking to those for comfort and more specialized advice in short order. I don't doubt you could find friends on these websites where you could even be in contact over the phone safely. Sounds like it could be what you need. These women may even be able to suggest specialty ob/gyns in your area. It could be worth a shot.

Good luck. For real.

Yeah. My next apt is this month so I think he did mention something about going to a fertility doc but I don't think my insurance covers it. I did find a few good sites and an app. I think I'll post them when I get a chance

Friendly Gaian

When were you diagnosed?
A few years ago
None I used to take birth control but it made me sick all the time.
Has it progressed?
Not like it should. I used to have my periods regular for awhile and then just within the last 6 months my body decided i should start missing periods again.
Cured?
no
No I also have DUB. So it's very unlikely that i will ever get pregnant but i have been told that it i possible for me to get pregnant if i take Metformin. I have finally come to terms with the possibility of never getting pregnant.

I have two step kids who i consider my own. I don't think that i would ever adopt or use a surrogate.

Also just for a bit of info I was told that if you have PCOS there is a possibility of having DUB with it.

I am sorry to hear though that you have it.
CorvinaRayne
When were you diagnosed?
A few years ago
None I used to take birth control but it made me sick all the time.
Has it progressed?
Not like it should. I used to have my periods regular for awhile and then just within the last 6 months my body decided i should start missing periods again.
Cured?
no
No I also have DUB. So it's very unlikely that i will ever get pregnant but i have been told that it i possible for me to get pregnant if i take Metformin. I have finally come to terms with the possibility of never getting pregnant.

I have two step kids who i consider my own. I don't think that i would ever adopt or use a surrogate.

Also just for a bit of info I was told that if you have PCOS there is a possibility of having DUB with it.

I am sorry to hear though that you have it.

Ty. I've never been told about DUB. I'll have to ask my doc. Be aware of you do take metformin it will make you sick as a dog when you start. Vomiting and other things.
CorvinaRayne
. I don't think that i would ever adopt

I shouldn't even ask, but; why?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out