Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rude's Bestie

Cat

Most important to me is composition. I want flow and balance so your eye moves across the whole avatar in a specific way. Color matching is part of that but I'll go with a less perfect match if it means a better overall shape.

Least important...hm, probably whether or not anyone besides me likes it rofl

Belly-burster

i generally care most about originality/experimentation/creativity in avatars.
i like to see things that are different and unique and have a well developed point of view
this can be in character or setting usually but sometimes in color/item use too

matching will always and forever be the least important thing for me in an avatar.
it can have a nice effect but usually things get so matchy that they become bland

especially if it's a color combo that gaia makes a lot of recolors in.
like, i don't care how you combine a bunch of checkmate or dawn colored or toxic or whatever items with themselves
9/10 times it's just going to look and feel generic and overdone

Time-traveling Genius

23,240 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The face of the avatar, it is what gives the whole emotion and feel of the avi after all.

Least important is hmm....this is a harder one...I would say the accessories. Sure they can bring in color where needed but I have seen lots of avis with none that look just great.

Misleading Plague

To me, most important is colour combinations, that is when I truly love an avatar. I mean, from first impression.

Least important, hmm, I am going to be honest which I know many will disagree but I would say.... face.

Merry Traveler

As for what's most important...
Personal avatar: as long as you like it, go ahead. Just don't ask for a rate.

If it's judging/rating and avatar though...
The content of the avatar like personality, story, scene and style.
I also love usage of color that is pleasing to the eyes.

Least important: choice of color, trend, other people's taste

Greedy Genius

the character

Invisible Gaian

Important part: things
why? reasons.

haha nahh,
One of the more important parts to me has to be the face. If something's off, it can throw off the avatar. Unless, y'know, you're headless.

Least important part has to be, uh... that one thing that no one uses or thinks about. Yep, that one.
emotion_awesome

Hallowed Shade

Cohesion. I mean that in the most general sense, applicable to whatever style a person is going for. That means if you're going for color matching, all your shades are spot on and balanced; clutter, your texture runs through the whole thing; themed, all your items lend to the character/atmosphere/theme; etc.

If an avatar is not cohesive enough, it will fail, regardless of how well other elements might be working individually.

As for what's least important, I'm not actually sure I can answer that. You're right that it's a more difficult question. I'm not sure I can give a generalized answer like for the most important. I think what's least important might actually depend more on the specific avatar. It's whatever detail means the least to the overall affect. So, for a themed avatar, getting a really specific shade to match another may be the least important, whereas with straight up matching, it's totally okay to put a random thing on your avatars head for color balance reasons.

Sparkly Shade

Most important aspect for me is character.
At the end of the long journey of building and scrapping item combos over and over... something needs to come to life.
Vee, I know you for your excellent character building, with or without a story it shows.

Least important I would say is whatever is trending at any given time.
Wear this item because it's popular now and everyone else is wearing it!
Trending item combos leads me to assume a lack of originality behind the avatar.

Conservative Genius

expressive face and matching texture are most important.

Perfect Trash

Most important thing to me is that it's a good idea that's been well-executed; someone being able to look at it and say, "I totally see what they were going for and they really pulled it off!" Second to that, in my opinion, is colour choice. The avatars I tend to like the most use colours that are pleasing to my eye. Good colours alone won't save an avatar that's total s**t, but colour choice can make or break a good design idea to me.

I'd say least important is the value of the items used. Obviously it's always going to be easier to make awesome avatars when you're not tightly restricted by price/value, but I've seen some pretty bitchin' avatars comprised entirely of shop items. If anything, it's more impressive to see a really well-designed avatar made mostly or entirely out of inexpensive items.

Sparkly Prophet

Tuni Fish
❥•❥•❥•
    When making an avatar myself?
    Most important: whether I like it.
    Least important: whether anyone else likes it.

When rating other avatars?
    Most important: whether I like it. (lol)
    Least important: whether anyone else likes it.

But really, that is the most important to me: if I like it when I look at it.
    Your theme can be ballin, your color distribution flawless, and your item usage the most unique special snowflake ever...
    if I look at it and don't like it, all of that doesn't matter.

THIS

Alien Sex Symbol

I think facial expressions are easily the most important part of an avatar. it's what takes it from being a dress up doll to an actual character.

I do a lot of semi matching avatars, but I think strict colour matching might be the least important there are definitely times when perfect colour matching just makes the most boring avatars.

Altruistic Muse

12,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I feel like originality makes a difference.
Though what you have doesn't have to be original if it shows personality.
I see a lot of avatars that don't really have personality or bearing on the type of person behind them. Like the avatar was just made out of a general cookie cutter shape or something and it didn't have any personal flair.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff