Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Fairy

19,815 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
A simple enough question I think.
There's no right or wrong answer, only opinions.
But I think the answers given will say a lot about the way that individuals both look at avatars and the way they make them.

So what's most important AT?

Bonus question: What's the least important aspect of an avatar? (a harder question by far in my opinion)

Fishy Trash

❥•❥•❥•
    When making an avatar myself?
    Most important: whether I like it.
    Least important: whether anyone else likes it.

When rating other avatars?
    Most important: whether I like it. (lol)
    Least important: whether anyone else likes it.

But really, that is the most important to me: if I like it when I look at it.
    Your theme can be ballin, your color distribution flawless, and your item usage the most unique special snowflake ever...
    if I look at it and don't like it, all of that doesn't matter.

Mega Lunatic

If I can open it in Photoshop, eyedropper the various shades, and have them come out matched from top to bottom, then it is acceptable. Anything less is trash, a waste of pixels.

Lonely Phantom

7,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Tuni said it best (love that name, darling!). If I like it, I like it.

However, if I don't quite like it as much as I want to, then I look for other people's opinions.

Cat

Substance
If an avatar lacks substance, it's bland
Usually depth in character, design, or theme will accomplish this.

Alien Invader

Gonna go with Tuni on this one when it comes to personal avatars. If I'm iffy on something, or it feels unbalanced/bothers me, I tend to go to other people for help on it though. It also matters to me a lot that my avis have character, especially in the face. I don't want them to look bland, even if they're simple.

If I'm making contest avatars I go at it more from a composition standpoint, so in that situation the composition tends to matter more. It's really important that everything goes together in contest avatars, whereas I'm more lax with personal avatars.

Alien Invader

hmhmhmhmhmmmmm most important? portraying some sort of personality perhaps. being able to imagine the avatar somewhere as someone doing something.

least important though? ...meticulous color balance? lol idk i feel like least is a very personal answer. lol like not something i'd hold others accountable to in a rate or what have you.

icetears's Princess

Bratty Witch

24,825 Points
  • Just Cute Witch Things 500
  • Live Fast! Die Garish! 500
  • Team Kitten Star 75
most important: character and style . i love when people have a style that is distinct.

least important: backgrounds . some people pull them off well but i usually dislike them

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Mythical Shoujo

13,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Object of Affection 150
For me, the most important part of an avatar is the character it has. Matching perfectly isn't important to me if it doesn't look like an actual outfit. No one goes out Gaia color-matched, you know?

bioelfster's Queen

Original Gaian

IMO, what is most important is if I like it. Sometimes I don't, and there's nothing wrong with it per se, just not appealing to me.
Least important to me is amount of items. Some people feel like an avi needs to be complicated, and I like simplistic.

Edgiest Shapeshifter

34,115 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • The Edgiest 250
Honestly? Most important thing in avatars, personally, is if I like it. I've made avatars before, to completion, just to scrap them because they aren't really my style. lol
Least important? Using expensive items. Just because an item is worth trillions doesn't mean it looks great in any context, imo.

Sparkly Phantom

Rather or not I could come up with a story for him. It used to be rather it matched, but it's become more about if I could see him being a character and going off on adventures.

Bashful Faun

15,190 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
Character is what its more important, I tend to dislike bland unimaginative avatars more than "bad" ones. So much that I make my utmost to avoid them in rate threads, it would be really rude to go "You look fine, just like the last one hundred people who used the same thing before you"

About what is less important, I think price tag or status or whatever you want to call it. No, dumping it with the most expensive items you can find doesn't make it good, just....bland -.-

Naughty Pants

Most important: Can I see a theme? Does the avatar embody said theme well?

There's plenty of avatars I dislike, even some that I hate which I'll rate well because I can tell what theme the creator was going for and they really nailed it.

Least important: using trendy bullshit. If I see any more 'I used these 10 brand new cash shop items, love me!' avatars I just might puke.

Sparkling Dragon

49,400 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Fusion Expert 300
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
It is extremely important, when it comes to personal avis, if I like it or not. I care about my sister's opinion too, but since we have similar tastes we usually like the same avis. Having a theme is important also, avis are kinda like characters, you know?~
The least important, when it comes to someone else's avatar, may be the color, it does need to match and all, but it may be a color I don't like, but if the avatar is good, it's good no matter the color~
EDIT: Except if it's vomit emotion_puke

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces