Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
Comedian discovers secret two-way mirror in restroom allowing people to watch unsuspecting women on the TOILET... but bar owner refuses to get rid of it

A bar is under police investigation after a comedian discovered a secret two-way mirror hanging on a door across from the toilet in the women's restroom.

Tamale Rocks was performing at Chicago bar, Cigars and Stripes, when she stumbled on the creepy looking glass and filmed a video of the discovery on her smartphone - revealing that opening the door took her into a closet providing a clear view of the stall.

But despite public outrage the bar's owner Ronnie Lottz told website Jezebel he has no plans to get rid of it - even insisting that the mirror, which was initially set up as part of a Halloween prank in 2001, has brought his staff ‘joy’.

Tamale found the intrusive mirror on Saturday night and, horrified, took a video demonstrating that anyone standing on the other side would have a clear view of any woman using the toilet.

'There was no one in there at the time of [my] discovery - thankfully,' she said. '[But] there could have been.'

When she approached Ronnie Lottz to demand an explanation, he seemed unconcerned and, shockingly, told her that he considered her video to be free promotion for his establishment.

When contacted by Jezebel, Mr Lottz added that Cigars and Stripes has had the two-way mirror since 2001, explaining that it was once used to scare women in the restroom by placing a light-up witch on the other side one Halloween.

He also insisted that the mirror was 'old news' and reiterated that he won't remove it.

He said: 'I will burn this f****** place to the ground before I get rid of that mirror. Do you know how much joy that mirror has brought to us?'

He also dismissed Tamale's concern as being part of a recent 'big movement in reality TV to be outraged about feminism'.

'If you don’t like the two-way mirror, go f*** yourself,' he added.

Mr Lottz said: 'We specialize in making people feel very uncomfortable. It’s why we’re successful today.'

He added that anyone who didn't like it could 'stay home'.

He did not acknowledge that women may not know that the restroom had a two-way mirror, as there is no sign notifying them next to it.

Police are investigating the incident.

Daily Mail Online has contacted Mr Lotz for comment.

People can test for two-way by pressing a finger up to the glass; when using a traditional mirror, there will be gap between the finger and its reflection. If there is no gap, it is a two-way mirror.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3058013/Chicago-bar-police-investigation-woman-discovers-two-way-mirror-hidden-bathroom-owner-insists-burn-place-getting-rid-it.html

If the bar owner wants to burn the place down rather than remove the mirror, I'll be happy to bring matches. Or a flame thrower and a barrel of gasoline.
Wow. He's a piece of work. Either label that it is a two way or get rid of it.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
It can't be legal for him to invade patrons' privacy in this way, can it?
Scarred Sword Heart
It can't be legal for him to invade patrons' privacy in this way, can it?

It's in Chicago, which, while sanity would state it is illegal and a violation of privacy, there it could be considered quite acceptable.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Guess someone could sue him for violation of privacy or something.
Or there's an accidental fire.
Maybe some vandal could possibly find their way into the comfort room with a spray can or even a good old brick?
I know just the lady to deal with this issue.

User Image

I'm never sure if it is better or worse when someone is willing to openly admit their a creeper with zero respect for other people.

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
Easy enough solution would be to break in and switch bathroom signs and such. The staff wouldn't need to loiter in the mens room to measure things.

Playful Guildswoman

Whoa! This is unreal!

Agile Protagonist

18,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Survivor 150
This is why Bathroom stalls were invented. Not really, but still...

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Stop. Hammer time.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Just buy some spray paint and spray all over the mirror.

It will likely force the owner to waste his time cleaning it off, or buy a new two-way mirror. Just rise and repeat until the owner says "Screw it" and removes the mirror completely.

Ta-da!

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
While the guy sounds a bit crazy in this interview other articles that post comments from regular bar goers sounds like most are aware that it's a two way mirror and goes with the theme of the bar. I'm not saying it's right just that it sounds like it wasn't something they were actively trying to hide.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Yeah, that two way mirror test was debunked by snopes. Two way mirrors have to be set into the wall or door, whereas regular mirrors are installed overtop. Also two way mirrors tend to sound hollow when you knock on them (because there's an open room behind them, holy s**t). Also for a two way mirror to work, the room being viewed has to be really bright. Otherwise you can't see s**t. Also you can sometimes see through them by going up to the glass and cupping your hands around your eyes to peer through the glass (block out the light in the room you are in to see into the room on the other side). All in all, I find it sick that this is just another thing women have to worry about when using things in public. There was another bar (I think in Ireland? Can't remember where) that had a big one set in at the sinks, but all the toilets were in stalls behind doors, so if possible, it wasn't as bad as this one. I hope he gets sued for violation of privacy (hell this could probably go down as a sex offense, since people are afforded a legal right to privacy when on the throne, public bathroom or no), and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have such things when it comes to the stalls and actual toilet. That's why you can't have video cameras in dressing rooms or facing into bathroom stalls.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff