Welcome to Gaia! ::

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Quote:
A 33-pound, "grossly overweight" cat was rescued last week from the home in Sea Isle City, New Jersey, shelter officials told the Press of Atlantic City. When officers found Sprinkles, she was so obese that she couldn't roll over or properly groom herself. At four years old, she's three times her average weight.

"Whatever position she’s in, she’s stuck. She can barely move,” Stacy Olandt, a volunteer at the shelter who took Sprinkles in, S.O.S. Sea Isle City Cats, told the paper.

Local sheriff's deputies found the pretty kitty in shabby condition. She was covered in fleas and mites, suffered from an infection and had "the paws of a 9-pound cat and the body of a 33-pound cat," S.O.S. employee Mary Devery told the New York Daily News.
Her weight is reportedly equivalent to a 700 pound human who should weigh 180 pounds.

Now, the forlorn feline is getting a full makeover. She'll reportedly undergo a strict diet of four cans of cat food per day, and shelter workers hope she'll lose a pound each month until she reaches her target weight of about 10 pounds, Press of Atlantic City reports. She'll also need a tummy tuck so her excess skin doesn't drag on the floor.

The Daily News reports:

Sprinkles was a little standoffish at first and barely moved but now she seems to be adapting well to her new home. Devery said she is walking round and is friendly to everyone, but because of her girth is unable to climb stairs. Her size also prohibited her from properly grooming herself and Sprinkles entered with infections and a flea infestation.
"She's doing great. She's moving around and she's as friendly as can be," Devery said. "She's purring a lot. She's a very happy girl."
It wasn't immediately clear why she was left in the house, or how she got as big as she is, but you can apply to adopt Sprinkles or other cats from the S.O.S. shelter's adoption page.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Story link here

Owners should be charged with animal cruelty imo.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
I don't get how you can let your cat get that fat and not think it's a problem. What in the heck were they feeding the poor thing? Even if you feed it several times a day with regular cat food it's going to be hard for it to get that fat.

Wintry Dragon

Cat ate previous owners?

He Ate My Shorts's Husbando

Adventuring Protagonist

How could the owner fed it and left it like that? Such cruelty. :c

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Art of Heaven

emotion_hug Art heart

I am wondering what the whole story is. Might be they just left it a ton of food when they left the home and the cat just over ate from boredom until it was found. Either way, leaving it in a foreclosed home is messed up.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Normally if a house is foreclosed, it means the owners or renters cannot afford (or refuse to pay) the bills.

However, that does bring up an interesting question... wouldn't the cat be underweight, not overweight if that was the case? Have they just been feeding their cat instead of paying bills? That sounds like it was animal cruelty OR they were just simply obsessed with her which is, when I think about it, still animal cruelty anyway.

I guess we'll never know.

Adventuring Protagonist

Silverlight Symphony
Art of Heaven

emotion_hug Art heart

I am wondering what the whole story is. Might be they just left it a ton of food when they left the home and the cat just over ate from boredom until it was found. Either way, leaving it in a foreclosed home is messed up.

Silvy <3
I see. The cat must have eaten a whole lot from that home. Perhaps it was abandoned. o:

Omnipresent Warlord

Anyone who would feed their cat or dog until it is morbidly obese are horrible pet owners with no business being responsible for any pet. I've seen it a lot and some of the more idiotic owners will brag about how they share whatever they're eating with their incredibly fat dog. They don't seem to get that they're inflicting a wealth of health problems on an animal that can't understand why it's getting fat or has the mental capacity to do anything about it.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
Normally if a house is foreclosed, it means the owners or renters cannot afford (or refuse to pay) the bills.

However, that does bring up an interesting question... wouldn't the cat be underweight, not overweight if that was the case? Have they just been feeding their cat instead of paying bills? That sounds like it was animal cruelty OR they were just simply obsessed with her which is, when I think about it, still animal cruelty anyway.

I guess we'll never know.

Well like what happens with people, the cheapest foods for pets is often the worst for them. Dry food like fancy feast, purina cat chow, Meow Mix, Friskies, Deli-cat (probably the worst out of this lot, though all of them are terrible). All of them will make a cat fat and sick over time.

Feral Nymph

Art of Heaven
Silverlight Symphony
Art of Heaven

emotion_hug Art heart

Silvy <3
I see. The cat must have eaten a whole lot from that home. Perhaps it was abandoned. o:

That wouldn't surprise me. A home near where I live was foreclosed...a year ago? Maybe a little more. The former owners were out in a day and the amount of trash and whatnot that they just left behind was surprising to me. And, unfortunately, a lot of desperate people would see a dangerously overweight cat as refuse.

Adventuring Protagonist

Pessimist
Art of Heaven
Silverlight Symphony
Art of Heaven

emotion_hug Art heart

Silvy <3

That wouldn't surprise me. A home near where I live was foreclosed...a year ago? Maybe a little more. The former owners were out in a day and the amount of trash and whatnot that they just left behind was surprising to me. And, unfortunately, a lot of desperate people would see a dangerously overweight cat as refuse.

Ah. Your case was the owners left for a day aye? But yeah, cats much often seen as refuse.sad. :c
Alone with it stuck in a condition like that. :c

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
4 cans of cat food? That's still a lot.

... ... ... That cat is three Pips and 3 2/3's Lucys... >_>;

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I don't care what ya'll say...that cat looks so FLUFFY! I wants it as a pillow! whee

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
That poor cat, hopefully karma takes care of the owners who overfed her and then abandoned her. I’m glad someone’s trying to get her healthy again with diet and care.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
JamesWN
4 cans of cat food? That's still a lot.

... ... ... That cat is three Pips and 3 2/3's Lucys... >_>;

It may seem like a lot but you have to go slowly or it could cause serious medical issues for the cat if the weight loss is too rapid. Besides for what this cat was likely eating to get to this weight four cans will seem like a small meal for this fat kitty.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff