Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Streaker 200
I'm probably going to rustle some jimmies, so let the downvoting begin!

To begin, I don't think GEN 6 was bad by any means, just unmemorable.

I liked Lysandre, several of the Pokemon designs, Pokemon-amie, how easy it is to EV train and egg hatching, and CLOTHES, but everything else fell flat.

The designs for the towns look nice, but again, I can't remember much about it. Perhaps because of the transitions between 2D to 3D? I like some of the trainer designs (HEX GIRLLL), but again, nothing stood out.

Diantha is the most boring champion ever. She didn't fight with us or help us out in any particular way. She was barely involved with the plot. Same goes for the gym leaders. Aside from the bug one and the one that gave us the lucario (and the fairy type one. I loved her design), I can't remember any one of them without referring to the wiki.

I can't remember a single song (aside from the battle theme, but even then, I need to listen to it to remember it) and I barely remember which town has what. I had to fly to so many towns to find out which one had the NPC that sold Moo Moo Milks or which town had the Pokemon Center that sold vitamins.

If it weren't for the fact that the maps had a little description under the town names, I would have completely forgotten where I could find the Move deleter/re-learner, the pokemon namers, and the breeders.

I don't know if I just don't remember anything because it's still relatively new (2 years?), nothing grabbed my interest, or if it's really because of bad design.

What are your thoughts on it?

Waiting Starman's Girlfriend

Astral Visitor

35,565 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
I can agree on many of these points. I loves the option to buy and wear a variety of clothes, and there are several pokemon I quite enjoyed. Thoigh, my big thing with the pokemon is the availability. While I know some would disagree and say that there are too many pokemon in X/Y, This having been the foirst pokemon game for me to own, it helped me catch up quite a bit when it came to Dex completion. That and it made some areas more interesting to me, sinc ethe pokemon did vary quite a bit from place to place.

Team Flare was boring. And boring is sometimes worse than just being bad. So far, in my mind, nothing has beaten the plot of Gen 5 and it's team. (Well, if only they hadn't done the cop out at the end, but oh well it was still over all better).

It is true, I don't remember most of the gym leaders off the top of my head, and the lack of interaction with the champion is saddening, especially when OR/AS follows up with quite a lot of running into Stephen.

My favorite song is the one that plays when you ride your bike (well, except in lumiose cuz for some reason it won't play there).
All of the storylines since Gen 3 have been unimaginative rehashes, so there's nothing really new there.

The overworld design was fine, imo--most of the towns in Pokemon are pretty bland. (Quick, name a town in Sinnoh!) Lumiose City, at least, was reasonably "new and different."

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I don't think it's unique to gen 6. Like, yes, Diantha didn't really do anything, but neither did Adler in Black and White. Or Steven in original Ruby/Sapphire, really. Yes, the move deleter lives in a random, nondescript house that's easy to forget, but that's always been true.

Game Freak has been following the same formula for 10+ years. Sounds to me like all that's happened is you've finally gotten tired of it.

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
Snarwin
All of the storylines since Gen 3 have been unimaginative rehashes, so there's nothing really new there.

The overworld design was fine, imo--most of the towns in Pokemon are pretty bland. (Quick, name a town in Sinnoh!) Lumiose City, at least, was reasonably "new and different."

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I don't think it's unique to gen 6. Like, yes, Diantha didn't really do anything, but neither did Adler in Black and White. Or Steven in original Ruby/Sapphire, really. Yes, the move deleter lives in a random, nondescript house that's easy to forget, but that's always been true.

Game Freak has been following the same formula for 10+ years. Sounds to me like all that's happened is you've finally gotten tired of it.

Canalave City! Jubilife City! Hearthome City! Sunyshore! (I liked Sinnoh and I also liked a lot of the music in Sinnoh as well, which is why I remember most of cities' name.)

I felt like Alder at least had more to do with the plot. He didn't fight with you in a double battle, but he was there, trying to stop N. Steven gave you the useless Devon Scope that was essential to progress the story and you meet up with him in that cave in Dewford, so there's that as well.

Diantha... well, you can take her out of the story and it would make no notable difference.

I could be tired of Game Freak's formula, but I honestly did enjoy Gen 5 a lot more than I did Gen 6, despite Gen 5 being released 5 years ago, 3 years before Gen 6.

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
Rin Kairiu
I can agree on many of these points. I loves the option to buy and wear a variety of clothes, and there are several pokemon I quite enjoyed. Thoigh, my big thing with the pokemon is the availability. While I know some would disagree and say that there are too many pokemon in X/Y, This having been the foirst pokemon game for me to own, it helped me catch up quite a bit when it came to Dex completion. That and it made some areas more interesting to me, sinc ethe pokemon did vary quite a bit from place to place.

Team Flare was boring. And boring is sometimes worse than just being bad. So far, in my mind, nothing has beaten the plot of Gen 5 and it's team. (Well, if only they hadn't done the cop out at the end, but oh well it was still over all better).

It is true, I don't remember most of the gym leaders off the top of my head, and the lack of interaction with the champion is saddening, especially when OR/AS follows up with quite a lot of running into Stephen.

My favorite song is the one that plays when you ride your bike (well, except in lumiose cuz for some reason it won't play there).

Team Flare was interesting in their motives but generic in their execution. But then again, this is a game for kids, so I can't expect the story to be too complex. I would like it if they focused more an AZ rather than team flare, but what can you do? Evil Pokemon teams is a formula that works.

I would love it if the next Pokemon game can be more plot-centric. I feel the Pokemon we have now already master the mechanics, so having a more plot driven game would be more interesting.

Waiting Starman's Girlfriend

Astral Visitor

35,565 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
Eridanos
Rin Kairiu

Team Flare was interesting in their motives but generic in their execution. But then again, this is a game for kids, so I can't expect the story to be too complex. I would like it if they focused more an AZ rather than team flare, but what can you do? Evil Pokemon teams is a formula that works.

I would love it if the next Pokemon game can be more plot-centric. I feel the Pokemon we have now already master the mechanics, so having a more plot driven game would be more interesting.

Yes, plot-driven would be nice

Timid Generator

It wasn't so much the plot but how little struggle I had playing the game. Anyone mildly competent can breeze through it, and without any challenge, I don't think much of it.

It was too damn easy even when I was under leveled. and I didn't even EV train at all during the main plot and used Pokemon I caught along the way.
Eridanos

I do not agree that it was unmemorable, but I do think it was way too easy. There were some great characters, and a pretty interesting plot, though they could have done WAY more with it. The main issue for me is that there wasn't enough post story things to do. That is the reason why I loved Gen 3 so much is that there was so much to do, especially in the remakes, which are my all time favorite Pokemon games ever made.
But, Gen six did give me my favorite Pokemon, Goodra, and I am happy for that <3
Oh, and if you have not yet started on my commission from your other thread, if you could find a way to include a Goodra in some way, like as a plushie or something, that would be awesome :3
I could even include as part of the trade a shiny Mew with perfect stats!

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

um, pokemon x is completely memorable for me
it was the first time we got to play with 3D models!
not to mention, mega evolution, kanto starters, mewtwo with original red blue sound track remix, kalos pokemon designs were the first pokemon I actually like more than gen 1. I got to customize my character and play and feed and pet my pokemon, and use the PSS and super training.
I remember the desert and the swamp and all the other places, I just didn't spend as much time in them because these games are pretty easy for adults.

the story and in game content were lacking though and the music was lame, the music should have been paid more attention to, for the first game to introduce so much new stuff the music should have been more memorable..

Shy Bunny

"Unmemorable".

Gen VI had:
- 3D
- A more serious plot than what you'd find in some other pokemon games(specificly the first two gens)
- awesome music holy crap.(Powerplant's music, Lysandre's battle theme, E4 and champion and legendary battle themes. Though, the gym leader theme was kinda meh to me. Also lovely route and town music when it wasn't too close to the generic pokemon thing.)
- Interesting new pokemon
- Mega. Evolution. Mega evolution. While not necessary, it was memorable for sure.
- 3-part pokedex.
- Character customisation
- A new type.

You're right about the champion though, and Team Flare was pretty average when it came to the execution of their plans for most of the game. And not all the towns or songs were very memorable. But Gen VI had a lot of memorable stuff to it.

My main complaint is that there wasn't enough to do. Not enough side stuff. The battle maisson is nice and all, but its not as varied as the frontiers of Hoenn or Sihnno.

Friendly Gekko

I loved all my little buddies Shauna and Trevor are my bffs 4laugh

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
Erin puppy
um, pokemon x is completely memorable for me
it was the first time we got to play with 3D models!
not to mention, mega evolution, kanto starters, mewtwo with original red blue sound track remix, kalos pokemon designs were the first pokemon I actually like more than gen 1. I got to customize my character and play and feed and pet my pokemon, and use the PSS and super training.
I remember the desert and the swamp and all the other places, I just didn't spend as much time in them because these games are pretty easy for adults.

the story and in game content were lacking though and the music was lame, the music should have been paid more attention to, for the first game to introduce so much new stuff the music should have been more memorable..

I don't think "being in 3D" should be a plus factor for a good game. Ocarina of Time was in 3D, but that wasn't the reason why it was such a great game. Not being 3D didn't make A Link to the Past a worse game either. I don't consider being in 3D a factor in being a memorable game, unless the graphics are extremely cutting edge.

Having Kanto stuff doesn't make Kalos a better region. That's like saying Zelda is great for having things it already had in the old games. If they wanted to make this game more unique, they shouldn't rely on old Pokemon unless it's for something new, like Mega-evolution.

I like Pokemon-Amie, swarms, and Mega-Evolution and I loved customizing my trainer, but I wished there was more than just the surface level.

Faceless Prism
"Unmemorable".

Gen VI had:
- 3D
- A more serious plot than what you'd find in some other pokemon games(specificly the first two gens)
- awesome music holy crap.(Powerplant's music, Lysandre's battle theme, E4 and champion and legendary battle themes. Though, the gym leader theme was kinda meh to me. Also lovely route and town music when it wasn't too close to the generic pokemon thing.)
- Interesting new pokemon
- Mega. Evolution. Mega evolution. While not necessary, it was memorable for sure.
- 3-part pokedex.
- Character customisation
- A new type.

You're right about the champion though, and Team Flare was pretty average when it came to the execution of their plans for most of the game. And not all the towns or songs were very memorable. But Gen VI had a lot of memorable stuff to it.

My main complaint is that there wasn't enough to do. Not enough side stuff. The battle maisson is nice and all, but its not as varied as the frontiers of Hoenn or Sihnno.

Having a new type, megas, and character customization were fun concepts but I felt the game was too short and it didn't make you backtrack a lot so you could potentially visit one city/town and never visit it again. I remember that really nice castle near the beginning of the game. Really pretty and stuff. never visited again. I didn't have a reason to. I literally cannot remember any of the town names aside from Lumiose and Anistar.

I think Gen 6 failed to be memorable because of the lack in content, not because of the mechanics. The game mechanics were fun, but that was it. I can't even name one NPC I really liked aside from Lysandre, Sycamore, or AZ. There's no noticeable character development or extra story to find after the game is done.

Story/world building wise, Kalos feels like a giant empty shell that had so much potential. Why didn't they make a post game, where you could find AZ and talk to him some more? Or maybe sve Lysandre from the Team Flare ruins? They could have used your 3 friends and rivals more towards the story. I only really liked Shauna since she got the most development out of the 3. By giving you 3 friends, they couldn't focus on all of them so they end up feeling like background characters.

The music is really an opinionated thing, but I felt like it didn't work for me because it didn't have any memorable tunes. We only fought Lysandre like 3 times, so I don't remember his theme that well. :B I'm sure it was awesome, but it doesn't make up for the lack of other memorable songs, imo. same goes for the powerplant theme. only went there once, so I don't remember if the song is good or not.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Everything from gen 3 to gen 5 was unmemorable to me.
I still keep mixing up the Pokémon of gen 3 and 4... and I don't even remember half of the names of the gen 5 Pokémon.

Kanto and Johto I are burnt into my brain forever and ever. Gen 6 was probably the first one I found memorable since I played Crystal.
There were just so many fun new concepts and I actually liked all of the new Pokémon save for one or two (that never happens, I usually hate a lot). I will remember gen 6 for a long time.

At the same time, ask me anything about gen 3, I could not even tell you what the professor's name was or which town we started. And that's even after I played ORAS.

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Kanto was my most memorable, but this one wasn't far behind.

I really enjoyed a lot of the features they introduced and am hoping we see more of them. I also loved a bunch of the pokemon introduced in this gen. I was also really glad they brought Mewtwo and the legendary birds back into this one.

Original Gen 3 - Nothing... I remember nothing.

Gen 4 - I remember nothing... nothing at all.

Gen 5 - I loved the story line, but the mechanics are a bit of a pain.

Gen 6 - My only main problems with X/Y was that Flare and the Gyms were a bit easy to beat.
Eridanos
There's no noticeable character development or extra story to find after the game is done.

Did you not do the Looker Bureau sidequest?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff