Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I hate having limited movement around the sphere grid. it's always annoyed me! It makes me miss the days of materia. emotion_bigvein

Amateur Prophet

I always liked the sphere grid. It was something different and the fact that you could break into other characters skills was fun.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
TheDiceman
I always liked the sphere grid. It was something different and the fact that you could break into other characters skills was fun.

if you break into other character's spheres, can that character still learn it?
TheDiceman

Yes, every character can learn every ability and use every sphere.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Kuja9113
flutflut
TheDiceman

phew. that's a relief. I'm starting to not hate it as much as I used to. I think my past hate was more misunderstanding now. I didn't understand it as well back then but I'm starting to see it as a form of leveling up now. I still get annoyed with the sphere level stuff though.

would you guys recommend only moving forward if I have the next sphere for that part of the grid to save on sphere levels? (I think seeing the whole grid is just overwhelming too.)
flutflut
Kuja9113
flutflut
TheDiceman

phew. that's a relief. I'm starting to not hate it as much as I used to. I think my past hate was more misunderstanding now. I didn't understand it as well back then but I'm starting to see it as a form of leveling up now. I still get annoyed with the sphere level stuff though.

would you guys recommend only moving forward if I have the next sphere for that part of the grid to save on sphere levels? (I think seeing the whole grid is just overwhelming too.)

Yes, except in the case of rare spheres (I usually passed up luck nodes since I didn't often find the spheres to activate them). You might hit a few snags here and there in the beginning of the game because you ran out of a certain sphere, but not enough to really impede you. Eventually getting the basic spheres won't even be an issue.

Hygienic Gaian

Ya i hate it too burning_eyes
flutflut

I didn't understand it my first time through either.

In fact. I didn't understand it so much, I didn't use it. I made it all the way to the end of the first half of the Mi'hen Highroad where you encounter three Bombs that killed me every single time, so I rage quit. One of my friends had to show me how to proparly use the Sphere Grid and I easily destroyed the bombs after that.

Moral of the story: Square-Enix is terrible at tutorials.

Also yeah, generally the way I play is if I need a mana sphere to progress a character, I don't progress that character until I find said mana sphere. I'll still rack up sphere levels for them, but I never skip a sphere because I don't want to have to go back later on. The only exceptions are, as MooMoo said, the Luck spheres because they're damn hard to find, and occasionally blank spheres if I don't have anything to fill them with. And sometimes key spheres too if I don't have them and they're not directly in my way.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Kuja9113
flutflut

In fact. I didn't understand it so much, I didn't use it. I made it all the way to the end of the first half of the Mi'hen Highroad where you encounter three Bombs that killed me every single time, so I rage quit. One of my friends had to show me how to proparly use the Sphere Grid and I easily destroyed the bombs after that.

Also yeah, generally the way I play is if I need a mana sphere to progress a character, I don't progress that character until I find said mana sphere. I'll still rack up sphere levels for them, but I never skip a sphere because I don't want to have to go back later on. The only exceptions are, as MooMoo said, the Luck spheres because they're damn hard to find, and occasionally blank spheres if I don't have anything to fill them with. And sometimes key spheres too if I don't have them and they're not directly in my way.

does it cost more ap for each sphere lv or does each level use the same amount? also, are levelspheres dropped or what? an is there limited # of certain sphere types (like level & ability spheres)?

Prodigal Demigod

I never really cared for it myself.
Up until a certain point, it's basically just traditional leveling up, but requiring the player to do it all manually.
The license board in XII ALMOST got it right, but then it went and required licenses to use equipment, and demanded that you both unlock AND buy spells and skills.
flutflut
does it cost more ap for each sphere lv or does each level use the same amount? also, are levelspheres dropped or what? an is there limited # of certain sphere types (like level & ability spheres)?
Yes, the sphere levels are treated just like traditional levels, where each additional level requires more experience than the previous. Each sphere, however, only ever costs one level. So, say, your first sphere level requires 100 exp, your second will require 150, your third will be 220, your fourth will need 300, etc.

Sphere levels are obtained just by acquiring the experience. It's just like in other games only instead of reaching level 1, 2, 3, etc, each level is replaced with a sphere level.

I don't think any of the types of spheres are limited availability. I know some of them you won't be able to find a decent supply of until end game, but I think all types of spheres are available through the monster arena in the Calm Lands. Some of them (like Luck Spheres) might be harder to get, but I don't think there's ever a point where you run out of any particular sphere forever.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
MooMooJuice
flutflut
Kuja9113
flutflut
TheDiceman

Yes, except in the case of rare spheres (I usually passed up luck nodes since I didn't often find the spheres to activate them). You might hit a few snags here and there in the beginning of the game because you ran out of a certain sphere, but not enough to really impede you. Eventually getting the basic spheres won't even be an issue.

I ran out of ability spheres and Tidus cant move anywhere else on his grid because he needs level spheres. sweatdrop

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Kuja9113
flutflut
Yes, the sphere levels are treated just like traditional levels, where each additional level requires more experience than the previous. Each sphere, however, only ever costs one level. So, say, your first sphere level requires 100 exp, your second will require 150, your third will be 220, your fourth will need 300, etc.

Sphere levels are obtained just by acquiring the experience. It's just like in other games only instead of reaching level 1, 2, 3, etc, each level is replaced with a sphere level.

I don't think any of the types of spheres are limited availability. I know some of them you won't be able to find a decent supply of until end game, but I think all types of spheres are available through the monster arena in the Calm Lands. Some of them (like Luck Spheres) might be harder to get, but I don't think there's ever a point where you run out of any particular sphere forever.

so characters don't level up? only the sphere grid affects your stats? Will I ever stop earning sphere levels?
Kuja9113
flutflut

I did exactly the same the first time. Except I got stuck on Rikku
flutflut
Kuja9113
flutflut

so characters don't level up? only the sphere grid affects your stats? Will I ever stop earning sphere levels?

No. Yes (well, maybe some equipment will). No.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff