Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Shounen

9,550 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Why would compare such a thing to transgender?
This thread is really ******** stupid.

Enduring Champion

15,015 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Marathon 300
otakucide
Taerone
To sum it all up, there is a biological reason as to why people feel like they were born the wrong sex. They don't decide to change just for fun.

"Being cis is so boring why do ppl do that" - Tumblr
I feel for those who knew they were transgender, or just had odd feelings about their gender, before they were introduced to Tumblr. Now they're all seen as a joke.

Seen as a joke by who? There's some crazy people on tumblr, sure, but there's this weird stereotype that being transgender is a cry for attention. I know a few trans people, and the kind of attention they get for it isn't the kind anyone wants.
I think everybody should be welcome to feeling comfortable in their own skin.

Tipsy Shapeshifter

Reading the title of this thread like

User Image

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Wanting to be part of a different culture is completly different from wanting to be a completly different race and/or ethnicity. It's okay to want to take part in another group's culture and to learn from them to to apreciate it, but it's something completly different when you want to physically be like an entire race of people.

It seems like you lack some understanding about what it means to be transgender or transsexual. (I only know a very basic things so some correct me on anything about being trans if I ******** up) Gender is a spectrum, gender is cultural, it's fluid. Race isn't fluid. There are cultures that belong to certian racial groups but like I said before it's not really a spectrum.

Bashful Phantom

First off, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how people deal with trans people. Your average person doesn't look at what they perceive to be a 'man in a dress, acting feminine' and brush it off. More likely they beat this 'man' into a pulp or at the very least shout rape and death threats at them and throw s**t. People are not friendly to trans people automatically just because they're prevalent in media. Laverne Cox having a career doesn't mean I'm any less likely to be murdered if I ever encounter some especially bigoted anti-trans folks.
Also, the fact that you would refer to a trans woman as 'a man in a dress who's acting feminine' shows that maybe you shouldn't be using us as a comparison. That would be a woman, kid. You would refer to that person as a she.

Also, the problem with wanting to be "trans racial" as I've seen it called is that you're wanting to be this other race just because it sounds fun and 'exotic'. Race is not like gender. You can't be born feeling wrong in your race, and you can't just decide you want to be Japanese because there is nothing you can to do 'become' Japanese. Instead, you're pretending to be Japanese for the cool, 'kawaii desu!' anime parts, but you will never experience the bad parts of being non-white. You can't magically understand what it is like to be made fun of by all your white classmates for your name, or your food, or your culture in general, all throughout elementary school, and then have people like you turn around and make your culture seem like a hip, meaningless trend instead. Do you get the problem there?

575 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
No matter how much you want to change your genes.... you cant. If you're white you'll always have white babies. I'm sorry but there's just no way around this. Isn't it just common sense?

Hilarious Genius

5,175 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
It's okay for people to appreciate and take part in other cultures. I'm a huge fan of everything from Japan. The food, the music, the language, but I would never go around claiming I actually was Asian, because I know I wasn't born from that race.

There's a reason it's more accepted to be trans-gender, because that's something you can change.
Your race... and ethnicity.. is not optional. You are what you are. Embrace it, be jealous of it, but you can't change it.
Sakura Latte
artejoven
I consider people weeaboos if they basically become Japanese nationalists who look down on other ethnicities/races/cultures.

I'm curious, why is genuinely wanting to know and experience another culture bad? This is just my opinion, but.

Why is it appropriation if they just like the culture? What if they aren't into it superficially? What's wrong with appreciating other cultures as long as you are respectful? I'm gay and I don't see an issue of straight people involving themself in the gay culture, hanging out with a lot of gay people, etc.

I'm Asian, and I'm okay with non-Asian people celebrating my culture's holidays, wearing my culture's traditional clothes, and learning my language.

On the other hand, I think that people who aren't happy with what they look like deserve sympathy instead of hate.

There's a big difference between just liking the culture, and appropriating it for your own personal gain or amusement or because you find it trendy. Getting a tattoo in Chinese (which 99% of the time is mistranslated) just because you think it looks cool, wearing cultural clothing as if they're Halloween costumes, etc. are examples of appropriation.

I'm Asian, too, and I'm also okay with non-Asians celebrating my culture's holidays, wearing my culture's traditional clothes, and learning my languages, too, as long as they are respectful. Wouldn't you be bothered, too, if non-Asians degrade your culture, language, and history, but then hypocritically turn around and wear your culture's clothes because they think it looks fashionable on them?

I agree with your first sentence.
If a person degrades a culture and THEN wears clothes for it, it's douchey. But if they don't degrade a culture and then wear a culture's clothes because Fashion... it depends. Basically... for me, I don't get offended with people appropriating my culture unless they're racist.

I don't mind people getting tattoos in Chinese. After all, in Asian countries there are misspelled English words on t-shirts all the time for trendiness. And there are tattoos too, to a lesser extent. It looks silly, but not malicious.

I realize that other people find it offensive, but for me someone wearing a qipao on Halloween isn't that offensive. Ethnic clothes are not Halloween costumes, but looking out of place is as far as it gets. What I do find offensive are things like "China man" costumes.

So for me, there is a difference and it all depends on the situation, the person's intentions, their true feelings towards the culture that they're taking a part in, etc.

Feline Exhibitionist

7,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
sarita caprico
No matter how much you want to change your genes.... you cant. If you're white you'll always have white babies. I'm sorry but there's just no way around this. Isn't it just common sense?

This is a good point and something that people tend to forget.

Sex and gender are not the same thing. You cannot change your sex - your chromosomes and DNA will always be the same - just like you cannot change your race due to the same reasons.

Gender is different as it is what you identify as. You can be female sex wise, but male gender wise. Gender is more of a psychological and mental state in which you identify. Yes, people can get a sex change to make them appear to be the gender in which they identify, but they cannot change their sex (just like race).

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Because the transethnic people do it to mock transgender people. Transgender people don't "want to be another gender"; they are the gender they say they are but want their physical appearance to match and to have others refer to them by their correct pronouns. There's actual differences in brain structures compared to cisgender and transgender people where trans men match more closely to cisgender men and trans women with cisgender women. There's no such thing with transethnic people, on the other hand.

Also cultural appropriation is a bullshit concept. Keep doing what you're doing with other cultures since there's no harm in that, but comparing your 'struggles' with transgender people is a load of s**t.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50

I'm black. I don't care if white people want to be black. I don't give enough of a s**t to research that one woman who I think spawned the creation of this thread, but IIRC, she was president of her NAACP chapter at the time she was found out. If that's the case, then she's apparently done a lot for blacks. I don't see the hate there.

If you're just doing it to be the superficial stereotype, then ******** you. I'm trying my damnedest NOT to be the stereotype. I hate "*****" culture and everything about it.

That being said, I'd totally like to be a white guy for 1 year. Louis CK said it best.
This is complete bullshit, with this mentality you will never understand the world or the people that live in it. because you will not understand the history. Why Russians don't smile to strangers, or why japanese bow. If you never have an interest in another culture besides the one your born into. You limit your world.

I study Russian language because I enjoy it I am part Russian but I never knew that when I started and my parents are long time Americans 1700s. Russia is very interesting to me. From learning about their traditions and literature I learn history and the way people live in another place in cities and in villages. Sure you can say I will never understand it unless I live there but I don't enjoy it any less and I still have my own experience its unique. It is like studying history but it is living. I talk to Russians on skype from all different classes and ages, and cities. They think it is very interesting that I learn their langauge and they ask my opinon on things, and they want to learn about me, and I want to learn about them. there are no two people that are the same in the world. Where you are born can mean you have a different way to do something does not mean it is wrong. but to not be curious and want to understand(is to live in ignorance)... I like to learn new things, and sometimes the way someone does something is better... I like to knit, one day I was looking up knitting and I watched a Russian woman knit the way she did it was quicker and it was easier for me. Sharing is part of being human, and we're all human so it shouldn't matter where your born. life is all about learning. but if you stop... you might think someone who has red hair is a witch because you never asked, or were not curious to learn... stay curious people! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

why does the Russian put jam/jelly in his tea?

Maybe one of your friends or brothers likes ketchup but not mustard.. That does not mean he is so different from you or from another culture. Ask and he will tell you why he does not like it(could be a story). You will learn more about him, and what foods he likes smile
don't build fences, or say ooh he's weird cause of he doesn't like this. People like different things, it's part of being human.

Thank you
-Shalua

p.s
I always say I am American! (Irish,German,Russian)

a bottle of war
Quite simply, it's cultural appropriation.

You might feel it's all a bit of innocent fun, or even so-called 'anthropological study', but to quote raggedy grrl, it's problematic.

I won't even go into the power dynamic here. People should learn to love and accept their own culture. We can best show respect to other cultures by avoiding all interaction with them not by fetishizing and exotifying them.

This goes beyond racial boundaries. Class, too, is a consideration. People must learn to embrace their social class. It's insulting and degrading to see a wealthy person acting as if they're a product of urban poverty, or to see people in the lower strata of society adopt the mannerisms and aspirations of other classes.

Likewise for adopting subcultures. Gay culture, for example, has been formed by decades of isolation and oppression. It's not something to be to adopted by lipstick lesbians, college kids who are "questioning" and "experimenting", or the self-proclaimed 'f** hags'.

The same is absolutely true for gender-based culture. There's nothing enlightened about a heterosexual man pretending to "understand" women, for example. It's just patronizing condescension.

As a culture and as individuals, we need to get the ******** over this immature and toxic "grass is greener" attitude. There is nothing inherently interesting or different about other cultures. They are not your playthings or toys.

We need to accept who we are because we can be nothing else.

Let me say this one more time, because clearly some people still don't get it: Other cultures are not to be taken on and off like they were clothes.

This is how it is: do not learn another language, learn your own language. Don't imitate the dress, art, music, literature, speech patterns, dress, or mannerisms of other cultures. Listening to rap doesn't bring you closer to being black, watching Korean dramas won't make you Asian. You'll never have more than an embarrassingly half-assed understanding of another culture.

Protip: Assimilation is a lie.

You cannot change who you are. You'll never truly understand or belong to that other culture, and it's offensive beyond words to even try. It is theft, it is psychological assault, it is a morally repugnant meta-extension of post-colonial attitudes, social slavery.

In a sense, you are no different from the "Buffalo Bill" character in The Silence of the Lambs, the man who brutally murders females and uses leather made from their to make a "woman suit".

Got it? By seeking to become what you admire, YOU DESTROY IT!!!!.

We have learned zoos are shitty means of "protecting animals." That's because plucking a lion off of the savannah and dumping it into a cage preserves only our impression of what a lion should be. No matter how large the enclosure, no matter how carefully we recreate the environment, a cage is still a cage. The nature of the animal changes and is diminished. We not longer have a lion, we have a hollow shell.

The only real means of preserving lions, or any animal or plant, is to leave it alone. Even watching it changes its behavior.

This is exactly how culture works!!

One more time: you show respect to other cultures by sticking to your own culture. You'll find there's plenty there to amuse you.

It's something most normal people learn in nursery school: if it doesn't belong to you, keep your ******** hands off.

Sugary Cat

Shalua Rui1213
This is complete bullshit, with this mentality you will never understand the world or the people that live in it. because you will not understand the history. Why Russians don't smile to strangers, or why japanese bow. If you never have an interest in another culture besides the one your born into. You limit your world.

I study Russian language because I enjoy it I am part Russian but I never knew that when I started and my parents are long time Americans 1700s. Russia is very interesting to me. From learning about their traditions and literature I learn history and the way people live in another place in cities and in villages. Sure you can say I will never understand it unless I live there but I don't enjoy it any less and I still have my own experience its unique. It is like studying history but it is living. I talk to Russians on skype from all different classes and ages, and cities. They think it is very interesting that I learn their langauge and they ask my opinon on things, and they want to learn about me, and I want to learn about them. there are no two people that are the same in the world. Where you are born can mean you have a different way to do something does not mean it is wrong. but to not be curious and want to understand(is to live in ignorance)... I like to learn new things, and sometimes the way someone does something is better... I like to knit, one day I was looking up knitting and I watched a Russian woman knit the way she did it was quicker and it was easier for me. Sharing is part of being human, and we're all human so it shouldn't matter where your born. life is all about learning. but if you stop... you might think someone who has red hair is a witch because you never asked, or were not curious to learn... stay curious people! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

why does the Russian put jam/jelly in his tea?

Maybe one of your friends or brothers likes ketchup but not mustard.. That does not mean he is so different from you or from another culture. Ask and he will tell you why he does not like it(could be a story). You will learn more about him, and what foods he likes smile
don't build fences, or say ooh he's weird cause of he doesn't like this. People like different things, it's part of being human.

Thank you
-Shalua

p.s
I always say I am American! (Irish,German,Russian)

a bottle of war
Quite simply, it's cultural appropriation.

You might feel it's all a bit of innocent fun, or even so-called 'anthropological study', but to quote raggedy grrl, it's problematic.

I won't even go into the power dynamic here. People should learn to love and accept their own culture. We can best show respect to other cultures by avoiding all interaction with them not by fetishizing and exotifying them.

This goes beyond racial boundaries. Class, too, is a consideration. People must learn to embrace their social class. It's insulting and degrading to see a wealthy person acting as if they're a product of urban poverty, or to see people in the lower strata of society adopt the mannerisms and aspirations of other classes.

Likewise for adopting subcultures. Gay culture, for example, has been formed by decades of isolation and oppression. It's not something to be to adopted by lipstick lesbians, college kids who are "questioning" and "experimenting", or the self-proclaimed 'f** hags'.

The same is absolutely true for gender-based culture. There's nothing enlightened about a heterosexual man pretending to "understand" women, for example. It's just patronizing condescension.

As a culture and as individuals, we need to get the ******** over this immature and toxic "grass is greener" attitude. There is nothing inherently interesting or different about other cultures. They are not your playthings or toys.

We need to accept who we are because we can be nothing else.

Let me say this one more time, because clearly some people still don't get it: Other cultures are not to be taken on and off like they were clothes.

This is how it is: do not learn another language, learn your own language. Don't imitate the dress, art, music, literature, speech patterns, dress, or mannerisms of other cultures. Listening to rap doesn't bring you closer to being black, watching Korean dramas won't make you Asian. You'll never have more than an embarrassingly half-assed understanding of another culture.

Protip: Assimilation is a lie.

You cannot change who you are. You'll never truly understand or belong to that other culture, and it's offensive beyond words to even try. It is theft, it is psychological assault, it is a morally repugnant meta-extension of post-colonial attitudes, social slavery.

In a sense, you are no different from the "Buffalo Bill" character in The Silence of the Lambs, the man who brutally murders females and uses leather made from their to make a "woman suit".

Got it? By seeking to become what you admire, YOU DESTROY IT!!!!.

We have learned zoos are shitty means of "protecting animals." That's because plucking a lion off of the savannah and dumping it into a cage preserves only our impression of what a lion should be. No matter how large the enclosure, no matter how carefully we recreate the environment, a cage is still a cage. The nature of the animal changes and is diminished. We not longer have a lion, we have a hollow shell.

The only real means of preserving lions, or any animal or plant, is to leave it alone. Even watching it changes its behavior.

This is exactly how culture works!!

One more time: you show respect to other cultures by sticking to your own culture. You'll find there's plenty there to amuse you.

It's something most normal people learn in nursery school: if it doesn't belong to you, keep your ******** hands off.
Ethnicity/nationality is not the same as race though. Russians and Germans are generally white, thus sharing the same race. If your family has been living in the U.S. since the 1700's it is wrong to see yourself as Russian.

My great-grandparents moved to the Netherlands 150 years ago, but I wouldn't consider myself to be German despite living in Germany for a couple of years now. I am just very happy being born and raised in the Netherlands and I see no reason to change my nationality or claim to be German in the foreseeable future. The people that claim to be 'German because my great-grandparents uncle was German' are usually doing this to make themselves more interesting (and it's false advertisement imo)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff