Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

I've been playing in small weekly commander tournaments usually 5 or 6 people at the most each week. I play grixis reanimator usually but I recently was told it wasn't ok for me to play my deck because I tend too win fairly quickly. It's my compedetive deck. I run 0 proxies and have made due fine with out them. Recently people have started using absorbitant numbers of proxies like a freind who runs slivers proxied out every original dual land. Yet I can't run grixis reanimator because it's "overpowered"

Has any one of you run into a similar problem in commander tournaments? Because it seems like I'm being singled out.

Dangerous Lunatic

I apologuise for my poor grammar.
Is this a 1v1 or a multiplayer event?

If it's sanctioned & the deck is legal, there's nothing in the JAR or MTR that would let them prohibit a deck. Then again, if it's sanctioned, you should be reporting it to WotC Organized Play because they can't sanction events that allow proxies.

They may just want you to play a 'fair' deck. Try showing up with something that's a little more 'fun' but will still destroy them, like Narset or Skullbriar. Hell, try building Slivers yourself; if you already have the fetchlands and duals (or shocklands, it's not like your opponents are fast enough for the 2 life to matter), it probably won't cost that much since the only real money in building it nonfoiled is in the somehow $50 Sliver Legion and $50 Sliver Queen.

Dangerous Lunatic

Atog v1771561

If it's sanctioned & the deck is legal, there's nothing in the JAR or MTR that would let them prohibit a deck. Then again, if it's sanctioned, you should be reporting it to WotC Organized Play because they can't sanction events that allow proxies.

They may just want you to play a 'fair' deck. Try showing up with something that's a little more 'fun' but will still destroy them, like Narset or Skullbriar. Hell, try building Slivers yourself; if you already have the fetchlands and duals (or shocklands, it's not like your opponents are fast enough for the 2 life to matter), it probably won't cost that much since the only real money in building it nonfoiled is in the somehow $50 Sliver Legion and $50 Sliver Queen.

It's multiplayer commander, and I'll see if it's sanctioned, it might not be.
Queen is 50 because it's an infinite combo piece with mana echos.

I've herd child of alara control is good and I Might try that. I've got lands and things sitting around from an old progenitus deck I used too run.
zhidkosti rok
Atog v1771561

It's multiplayer commander, and I'll see if it's sanctioned, it might not be.
Queen is 50 because it's an infinite combo piece with mana echos.

I've herd child of alara control is good and I Might try that. I've got lands and things sitting around from an old progenitus deck I used too run.

If you do decide to go with Slivers, get the Queen as soon as possible, since that'll just keep going up and up in price due to the reserve list. Sliver Legion is probably safe to hold off for a month or two on due to Modern Masters 2015; it's still highly possible that MM2 will have a Sliver theme & Legion back at mythic should knock the original back down to $20-30 or so.

Gayngel's Husband

Shameless Exhibitionist

9,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
zhidkosti rok
I've been playing in small weekly commander tournaments usually 5 or 6 people at the most each week. I play grixis reanimator usually but I recently was told it wasn't ok for me to play my deck because I tend too win fairly quickly. It's my compedetive deck. I run 0 proxies and have made due fine with out them. Recently people have started using absorbitant numbers of proxies like a freind who runs slivers proxied out every original dual land. Yet I can't run grixis reanimator because it's "overpowered"

Has any one of you run into a similar problem in commander tournaments? Because it seems like I'm being singled out.

Does your grixis deck have any infinite combos or really mean synergies?

Proxies can only be used if you own the real card and you can produce it for verification if asked.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
GaYnus
Proxies can only be used if you own the real card and you can produce it for verification if asked.

The use of Proxies varies from Tournament Organizer to Head Judge. Either case, Proxies are not allowed during the course of a Sanctioned Event (ie an event that gives you planeswalker points) unless provided by the Head Judge.

Gracious Grabber

zhidkosti rok

Okay, a few questions to clarify points here.... You call these "commander tournaments" are we actually talking an event played where the survivor of the game gets prizes as the winner? Or are we talking a regular group play session (may be being sanctioned for PW points) where the games are more just games? That is really going to be what defines things.

If we're talking battling for first place with prizes? Well there is your problem. You are playing competitive and they are not or not able. If they are not able to play that way.... Well they are just being passive aggressive punks who deserve to have you notch your power up another level and take them out even more brutally. If they are not, then you need to talk to them about yours and their expectations of the event..... If the group doesn't want to play that strongly, then they should move away from being a "tournament" and more of a "casual play group.... If they want to be a tournament, then they have to understand that there are people like you out there who apparently just like to win, so they can either power up or shut up.

If this is a casual play group.... Well then you are probably approaching the group the wrong way. In which case they sound like they have tried to reach out to you, to explain why your actions and deck choice are not conducive to a fun game for the rest of the group. From here your responsibility is to reach out to them to find out what consensus you can find for mutual fun under your local social contract.

See context of a commander group is a bit of a b***h innit...

As for if I have encountered this? Yup sure have, both sides. I've recently been educating a local player to my LGS as to exactly why he is an unfun person to play commander with. He was packing one of those competitive oloro decks. It got to the point where our group numbers were suffering because of his presence. We'd tried to talk to him and offered to lend him decks just to get him to try somethign different. To see where w were coming from. That being we play wednesday nights after work for a relax, keep our skills sharp and have some fun (and beers). So a few weeks later, I took him aside and told him he now had a choice. 1) either build another deck, we're okay to see the oloro deck once in a while. but not all the time or 2) I will sit in on every pod he plays with monoblue combo control. I will counter every relevant thing he plays and or combo kill the board so quickly he cannot set up. Reasoning being a) if he can't resolve anything, everyone else can play and b) combo killing the board that fast will mean we can get on with a better game once this s**t is over. he proceeded to bring the oloro deck for a month. A month of playing against my Arcanis the Omnipotent deck.... We've not seen him since. We're a casual group dedicated to enjoying a game. I am glad I can go back to playing my silly shenanigans decks.

On the flip side. I took the arcanis deck and a few silly shenanigans decks to a recent GP. on-demand 4 player commander pods being run. I talked to the group first, just to get an idea if we were intending to go hell bent for leather or not and it seemed like we were going to have a fun game, so shenanigans deck comes out.... And out comes three bloody combo decks in response. Admittedly we're playing for packs here. A fine example of people being lieing asshats. Needless to say I had my a** handed to me. Next pod I switched to Arcanis. After dominating that pod to oblivion upon rolling up to the third pod I was accused of being an unfun combo deck player and told I should play something nicer. To which i responded by advising what happened when I did do that and asked them if they were intending to be civilised as well? They admitted they were deliberatly not playing things they would play at their usual groups, prizes being on the line and all. As such I advised them to either man up to the consequences of their choice of action or do something about it. As such I ended up again with a whole pod gunning for me from turn 1, but Arcanis is strong, I rarely lose with him and that was one one of those occasions.

Dangerous Lunatic

Dark-oneechan
zhidkosti rok

Okay, a few questions to clarify points here.... You call these "commander tournaments" are we actually talking an event played where the survivor of the game gets prizes as the winner? Or are we talking a regular group play session (may be being sanctioned for PW points) where the games are more just games? That is really going to be what defines things.

If we're talking battling for first place with prizes? Well there is your problem. You are playing competitive and they are not or not able. If they are not able to play that way.... Well they are just being passive aggressive punks who deserve to have you notch your power up another level and take them out even more brutally. If they are not, then you need to talk to them about yours and their expectations of the event..... If the group doesn't want to play that strongly, then they should move away from being a "tournament" and more of a "casual play group.... If they want to be a tournament, then they have to understand that there are people like you out there who apparently just like to win, so they can either power up or shut up.

If this is a casual play group.... Well then you are probably approaching the group the wrong way. In which case they sound like they have tried to reach out to you, to explain why your actions and deck choice are not conducive to a fun game for the rest of the group. From here your responsibility is to reach out to them to find out what consensus you can find for mutual fun under your local social contract.

See context of a commander group is a bit of a b***h innit...

As for if I have encountered this? Yup sure have, both sides. I've recently been educating a local player to my LGS as to exactly why he is an unfun person to play commander with. He was packing one of those competitive oloro decks. It got to the point where our group numbers were suffering because of his presence. We'd tried to talk to him and offered to lend him decks just to get him to try somethign different. To see where w were coming from. That being we play wednesday nights after work for a relax, keep our skills sharp and have some fun (and beers). So a few weeks later, I took him aside and told him he now had a choice. 1) either build another deck, we're okay to see the oloro deck once in a while. but not all the time or 2) I will sit in on every pod he plays with monoblue combo control. I will counter every relevant thing he plays and or combo kill the board so quickly he cannot set up. Reasoning being a) if he can't resolve anything, everyone else can play and b) combo killing the board that fast will mean we can get on with a better game once this s**t is over. he proceeded to bring the oloro deck for a month. A month of playing against my Arcanis the Omnipotent deck.... We've not seen him since. We're a casual group dedicated to enjoying a game. I am glad I can go back to playing my silly shenanigans decks.

On the flip side. I took the arcanis deck and a few silly shenanigans decks to a recent GP. on-demand 4 player commander pods being run. I talked to the group first, just to get an idea if we were intending to go hell bent for leather or not and it seemed like we were going to have a fun game, so shenanigans deck comes out.... And out comes three bloody combo decks in response. Admittedly we're playing for packs here. A fine example of people being lieing asshats. Needless to say I had my a** handed to me. Next pod I switched to Arcanis. After dominating that pod to oblivion upon rolling up to the third pod I was accused of being an unfun combo deck player and told I should play something nicer. To which i responded by advising what happened when I did do that and asked them if they were intending to be civilised as well? They admitted they were deliberatly not playing things they would play at their usual groups, prizes being on the line and all. As such I advised them to either man up to the consequences of their choice of action or do something about it. As such I ended up again with a whole pod gunning for me from turn 1, but Arcanis is strong, I rarely lose with him and that was one one of those occasions.

we do play for packs every time and im not the only one playing a deck like this, a friend plays bug reanimator and did turn 3 a few weeks ago. he got singled out as well.
and by have fun its more like they want me too stop running the deck so they can make them more fun. this is the same person that took avacyn out of his token deck because it "should be banned for being too good'
no one else holds back so i see no reason i should.

Gracious Grabber

zhidkosti rok
we do play for packs every time and im not the only one playing a deck like this, a friend plays bug reanimator and did turn 3 a few weeks ago. he got singled out as well.
and by have fun its more like they want me too stop running the deck so they can make them more fun. this is the same person that took avacyn out of his token deck because it "should be banned for being too good'
no one else holds back so i see no reason i should.

Well there is your problem then.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
zhidkosti rok
we do play for packs every time.

Another thing to consider is the competitive nature of the prize pool.

Is this a prize pool where everyone ante's up a pack, then at the end, everyone gets a pack? If so, then I'd say dial it back.

But if its more along the lines of Winner gets half of pot or all of pot, then its completely justified bringing your A-game along with your A-deck.

Dangerous Lunatic

Liquidor
zhidkosti rok
we do play for packs every time.

Another thing to consider is the competitive nature of the prize pool.

Is this a prize pool where everyone ante's up a pack, then at the end, everyone gets a pack? If so, then I'd say dial it back.

But if its more along the lines of Winner gets half of pot or all of pot, then its completely justified bringing your A-game along with your A-deck.

Winner gets 60% of the packs
2nd gets 30% of the packs
3rd gets 10% of the packs

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out