Welcome to Gaia! ::

Garbage Trash

I'm trying to start a story, a lot of which I have planned out. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to start it. I think I want to start it in the perspective of a 10-year-old boy, if that might play into it. I know a lot of people have this problem, but for the life of me, I can't think of anything besides "It all started with..." or something terribly clichéd like that. Help? Thanks!

Nuclear Werewolf

People talk about the importance of hooks for starting stories, but honestly, at this point, it doesn't matter. Just write something, so you can actually start getting words out and work on your fic. Don't let the blank page be a stumbling block.

You can always edit the beginning later. Maybe by the time you get a few chapters in, you'll have thought of some satisfactory way of writing those first lines.

Alternately, don't write the beginning yet. Start at a place you feel comfortable writing, and do that first page or first chapter later on.
Agreed. I'd just get writing. Don't let this bump keep you from your story. You'll find the right opening as you edit it. Between now and then things are going to change anyway.

For now, I'd recommend jumping into the first thing that has to happen and go from there.

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
I usually start with the paragraph after that. I find it's easier to start off with the next paragraph and then go back to write the very first lines. Granted, it's sort of like adding milk first and then cereal, but the end result is a happy breakfast.
The Covenant Man
I usually start with the paragraph after that. I find it's easier to start off with the next paragraph and then go back to write the very first lines. Granted, it's sort of like adding milk first and then cereal, but the end result is a happy breakfast.

Not a bad idea at all. You have to stir it anyway. Am I right?

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Sir Icehawk
The Covenant Man

Not a bad idea at all. You have to stir it anyway. Am I right?

Yeah man. I mean, it depends on the cereal though. Like Lucky Charms and s**t.

Dedicated Loiterer

7,300 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
http://americanbookreview.org/100bestlines.asp

Simply because I don't think I need to rehash the importance of just writing, I'll leave this link here. It's a list of the some of the best opening lines in novels.

Also, don't discredit the cliches! They can be used to good (and often contradictory) effect. For example: The first sentence of Catch-22? "It was love at first sight." Can't get much more cliched than that.

Wheezing Astronomer

8,025 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
You could always try "In walked a pushy Dame...and the rest is history"

Profitable Gekko

If you're still stuck, try this writing exercise:

Write one line describing the main character.
Write one line about the worst thing to ever happen to that character.
Write one line about the person that character loves the best.
Write one line about the thing that character hates the most.

Pick your favorite out of those four lines and use that as a first line to get yourself started.

Good luck!

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Saying he's a ten year old boy doesn't give us much to work with.
It's from his point of view?
What kind of boy is he? Is he imaginative? Does he live in his own little world?
Put yourself in his shoes and try to imagine what he's thinking of at that very moment in time.

Garbage Trash

Pakxos
If you're still stuck, try this writing exercise:

Write one line describing the main character.
Write one line about the worst thing to ever happen to that character.
Write one line about the person that character loves the best.
Write one line about the thing that character hates the most.

Pick your favorite out of those four lines and use that as a first line to get yourself started.

Good luck!

I think I'll be trying this one! Thanks!

Shy Prophet

Remember to just make it interesting wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas