Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
I've been noticing an increesing trend that when I use the stick buttons (R3 and L3) to do things (like run, or Melee) that it will do other things instead or in addition. Like throw a grenade.

At first I just blamed my clumsy fingers, I must have pressed the grenade button, but over time I realized that my fingers were just not in the general area of all the things I've been doing, and tested it. Then I blamed Farcry 3 (cause really, why wouldn't I?). Then I blamed the controller, but I borrowed a controller from my brother's PS3, which has much less use than mine, and it's wonky too. What else can I blame? The PS3 itself? The infrared beam reader?

Does anyone else have this problem? And hopefully a solution?

Shy Bear

Pirate Santa
I've been noticing an increesing trend that when I use the stick buttons (R3 and L3) to do things (like run, or Melee) that it will do other things instead or in addition. Like throw a grenade.

At first I just blamed my clumsy fingers, I must have pressed the grenade button, but over time I realized that my fingers were just not in the general area of all the things I've been doing, and tested it. Then I blamed Farcry 3 (cause really, why wouldn't I?). Then I blamed the controller, but I borrowed a controller from my brother's PS3, which has much less use than mine, and it's wonky too. What else can I blame? The PS3 itself? The infrared beam reader?

Might be something up with the controller, did you try any other ones?

Gambino Believer

41,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
Have you tried other games and had the same results or is it just Farcry 3? Really, it would sound to me like it's a problem with the controller, but if you tried other controllers then it probably isn't that. Perhaps you need to relink the controller? I think that there's a way to relink the signal-- I think-- you might have to Google it or something.

I don't think that it would be the PS3 itself. It seems like it would be the controller, the signal or the game. Do you always play wireless or do you play with the controller plugged in?

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
Papa Bartie
Pirate Santa

Might be something up with the controller, did you try any other ones?

I borrowed my brothers, it's having the problem too.

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
Gorath Tsu
Have you tried other games and had the same results or is it just Farcry 3? Really, it would sound to me like it's a problem with the controller, but if you tried other controllers then it probably isn't that. Perhaps you need to relink the controller? I think that there's a way to relink the signal-- I think-- you might have to Google it or something.

I don't think that it would be the PS3 itself. It seems like it would be the controller, the signal or the game. Do you always play wireless or do you play with the controller plugged in?

Ah google, my old enemy.

yeah, I was playing FEAR 2 and my guy just couldn't stop throwing grenades when I was running. which is awful cause they kill you.

Shy Bear

I genuinely can't think of anything else that might be causing it except for the faulty controller. Are both of the controllers wireless? and do you by any chance have a wired one? Maybe it's something screwing up with the bluetooth.

I playd around with my PS3 and Far Cry and didn't have that happen to me at all.

HD LCD's Wife

Eloquent Lunatic

Pirate Santa

I know this sounds silly but are you sure you're not pressing down on the joystick? Because the joystick controls movement but if you press down on it, that's actually a button, called R3, which might be assigned to throwing grenades.
That's the only thing I can think of other than something wrong with the controller or game, because I highly doubt the console itself could cause something like that.

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
Volvaran the Dragon
Pirate Santa

I know this sounds silly but are you sure you're not pressing down on the joystick? Because the joystick controls movement but if you press down on it, that's actually a button, called R3, which might be assigned to throwing grenades.
That's the only thing I can think of other than something wrong with the controller or game, because I highly doubt the console itself could cause something like that.

yeah, it happens when I do press down on the stick, the R3 and L3 buttons. But they asigned to other things, like melee and run. So it happens when I try to run that it will randomly start bullet time, throw a grenade, or make me jump.

I guess I wasn't clear when I said that I was using the stick when it happened, I meant that it happens when I push down on it to activate the button.
On the back of the PlayStation 3 controller by the left shoulder buttons, you'll find a tiny reset button. It looks just like the one you might see on your Internet router. Using a paper clip or similarly thin object, push the little button down to reset the controller. Once complete, you'll need to reconnect the controller to the console via USB cable and press the "PS" button to initiate setup.

In a relationship with every woman

Diamond Dog

14,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
Is your brother having the same problem or is it just you?

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
OctoCamo
Is your brother having the same problem or is it just you?

Hard to say since he hasn't played his PS3 in a long time. He's using XBox360 for Madden and Call of Duty nowdays.

So I'm not sure if he hasn't complained about it just cause I'm not in proximaty to him when he gripes about it, figures that it's just part of the gameplay experience (like I did for a while), plays games with different control uses than me, or just hasn't played it in so long ...

But what you're really asking, is if his system has the same problem, not if HE is having the same problem. And for that, I don't need him to do experiments for me... I just need to play around on his system next time I go over.

Thanks for the great idea!

Gambino Believer

41,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
Foolinqs
On the back of the PlayStation 3 controller by the left shoulder buttons, you'll find a tiny reset button. It looks just like the one you might see on your Internet router. Using a paper clip or similarly thin object, push the little button down to reset the controller. Once complete, you'll need to reconnect the controller to the console via USB cable and press the "PS" button to initiate setup.
Ah, yeah, that's what I was trying to remember. This might fix your profile, Pirate Santa, so I'd give that a try.

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
Gorath Tsu
Foolinqs
Ah, yeah, that's what I was trying to remember. This might fix your profile, Pirate Santa, so I'd give that a try.

It sounded silly, cause the problem persists over long periods of time after having been shutdown and restarted a week later, but I gave it a try anyway and it didn't have any effect.

I think that it's something in ether the PS3's input sensor or the controller's output sensor.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff