Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blood Valkyrie
I'm open to the idea of a god existing, if evidence of a god existing is produced. It's really a simple concept.

People lack belief in gods because they see no evidence for gods, generally, but different people have different reasons. My reason is the lack of evidence.
What would be an example of evidence for God's existance?

Blood Valkyrie
I never said I would worship a space alien. I'm referring to the concept of lacking a belief in something and using space aliens as an example. There is no reason to put worship in there, and your question concerning worship has no value.
So even if you knew or believed that God existed you still wouldn't worship Him.

Blood Valkyrie
I never said god does not exist. I never said that the concept of a god maybe existing is similar to not existing. You are trying to put words into my mouth.
It's one or the other. Do you live your life assuming that god exists or do you live you life assuming that god doesn't exist? Or ... do you live you life assuming nothing about anything?

Blood Valkyrie
Lacking a belief in a god and believing there is no god is not redundant. For example. I do not belief there is no god. I merely lack the belief in a god. Some Atheist straight up believe there is no god. They are convinced that there is no possibility. I am the sort of Atheist that admits there might be a possibility, maybe, but until proper evidence is provided I will not believe. I will not claim that gods do not exist, because for all we know there might be. Maybe.
But then atheism isn't your actual identity, your just a person who is open to possibilities with no actually beliefs of your own. Which is what I'm asking about.

Blood Valkyrie
But, there might be a magical green space kitten pooping out Katy Perry CDs floating in outer space, and is somehow invisible ... but we have no evidence pointing to that creature's existence.
Are there any implications of such an animal existing?

Blood Valkyrie
I have no reason to believe in gods, just as I have no reason to believe in the magical kitten. Technically, they both could exist and we just wouldn't be aware of them, but until I know they are there I'm not acknowledging them as reality.
Which is the same thing as believing that they don't exist.

Blood Valkyrie
Reality is not what might be true, but what is proven to be true.
Reality doesn't need to proven it in order to be true. It is true long before anyone proves it.

Blood Valkyrie
If at any time my wording seemed peculiar, or odd, then I apologize. I'm not a perfect writer. I hope I cleared things up in this post, though.
Neither am I and I apologize for any sloppiness I over looked.

Blood Valkyrie
Now, more than one person has explained this to you. You should be satisfied. If not, I suggest you seek out a few sources with more information on the subject.
Sorry, but I expect better answers from people who are supposedly not religious. If you asked me, a Christian, what I believed and then told you that "I lack believe in all the false gods," and said nothing else about it, you would not find my answer very satisfactory.
Arcoon Effox
Artistic Layman
Arcoon Effox
Artistic Layman
So does that mean that Atheists believe that the gods exist but they just lack belief in any of the gods?
How many times has this already been explained in this thread...?
I don't know...
Well, it's been several.
Artistic Layman
...but I do wish that atheists would just make up their minds on what they believe reality to be.
So far, every one of the aforementioned times it has been explained, it's been described as the same thing.

Bearing that in mind, how do you figure that atheists "haven't made up their minds"...?
Telling me what you lack belief in tells me nothing about what you do have belief in.

If I told you that "being a Christian simply meant to lack belief in all the false gods" would you really think that I explained what I believed to you?
BlackShadow03
Lacking in the belief of something does not in any way mean they believe it exists. This is the crux of the problem with your understanding.
If I lacked belief in your existence I would also lack belief in you. However I do lack belief in you because I do have belief in your exist. (Humans are not worth of my belief, God is)

My understanding is not the problem here.

BlackShadow03
Another way of wording it is "They have no solid reason to believe a god exists".
What is a solid reason exactly?

BlackShadow03
A parallel would be that I lack a belief in Unicorns. That doesn't mean that I think they exist but are unworthy of acknowledgement....it means I don't have any reason to believe they are roaming around when there is nothing to give me a reason to think they are.
What you are describing is lacking a belief in the existence of unicorns not lacking a belief in Unicorns. Besides I'm not asking for the reasons for what you believe, but simply what you belief. I will ask for the reasons after the beliefs are establish.

BlackShadow03
See also: Russell's Teapot.
See in responce:
Dr. William Lane Craig refutes Dawkins on the Presumption of Atheism and Russell's Tea Pot

Lonely Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Artistic Layman
BlackShadow03
Lacking in the belief of something does not in any way mean they believe it exists. This is the crux of the problem with your understanding.
If I lacked belief in your existence I would also lack belief in you. However I do lack belief in you because I do have belief in your exist. (Humans are not worth of my belief, God is)

My understanding is not the problem here.

BlackShadow03
Another way of wording it is "They have no solid reason to believe a god exists".
What is a solid reason exactly?

BlackShadow03
A parallel would be that I lack a belief in Unicorns. That doesn't mean that I think they exist but are unworthy of acknowledgement....it means I don't have any reason to believe they are roaming around when there is nothing to give me a reason to think they are.
What you are describing is lacking a belief in the existence of unicorns not lacking a belief in Unicorns. Besides I'm not asking for the reasons for what you believe, but simply what you belief. I will ask for the reasons after the beliefs are establish.

BlackShadow03
See also: Russell's Teapot.
See in responce:
Dr. William Lane Craig refutes Dawkins on the Presumption of Atheism and Russell's Tea Pot

So now it looks like you've shifted to equivocation of several English words? At this point I am going to assume English is a second language (or even third?) for you.

Next time you open up your dictionary for vocab words (such as for the word belief) the defenitions that are listed first are more common in usage then the second or third. For the example "belief", it's looking like you have skipped to the third defenition instead of using the first one and only skipping that far down the listing when it makes more sense in context. For example, unless you are going for extreme solipsism, you can't "lack belief in me" because you're interacting with me right now. If reading that sentence gives you a context to use a rarer form of the word "belief", then you need to go back a few lessons and get help from a tutor before sentences like "Billy swings a bat" makes you imagine animal cruelty.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Artistic Layman
Arcoon Effox
Artistic Layman
Arcoon Effox
Artistic Layman
So does that mean that Atheists believe that the gods exist but they just lack belief in any of the gods?
How many times has this already been explained in this thread...?
I don't know...
Well, it's been several.
Artistic Layman
...but I do wish that atheists would just make up their minds on what they believe reality to be.
So far, every one of the aforementioned times it has been explained, it's been described as the same thing.

Bearing that in mind, how do you figure that atheists "haven't made up their minds"...?
Telling me what you lack belief in tells me nothing about what you do have belief in.
...Yes, actually it does.
Artistic Layman
If I told you that "being a Christian simply meant to lack belief in all the false gods" would you really think that I explained what I believed to you?
Well, yeah; by saying you don't believe in gods, that means that you aren't religious.

That said: Why is it so important to put everyone in a box based on their spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof?

Liberal Friend

"In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence." (Copi , Introduction to Logic, 1953, p. 95

Arcoon Effox
Well, yeah; by saying you don't believe in gods, that means that you aren't religious.

That said: Why is it so important to put everyone in a box based on their spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof?

Lack of identity makes one intangible.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Mea quidem sententia

Arcoon Effox
Why is it so important to put everyone in a box based on their spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof?
All three members of the Trinity violate the Law of Identity, yet Christians seem to have no problem with saying that they exist...

Or do they get a free pass for already being intangible?

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Arcoon Effox

That's not necessarily true. Lacking belief in a god or gods doesn't mean the person isn't religious. There are religions that don't have a deity in their belief structure. However, Artistic Layman's objection to all this is basically pointless. If he really wanted to know what people believe, all he'd have to do is ask and not rely on the answer to one question to make his assumptions.

Liberal Friend

Arcoon Effox
Mea quidem sententia

Arcoon Effox
Why is it so important to put everyone in a box based on their spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof?
All three members of the Trinity violate the Law of Identity, yet Christians seem to have no problem with saying that they exist...

Or do they get a free pass for already being intangible?

Hehehe. Christians obviously get a free pass. That's typically how it is.
Artistic Layman

It suggests a belief in your ignorance.
- ninja

Artistic Layman

Your belief about what constitutes Christianity would be mistaken - it's simply not the case that everyone who lacks belief in all the false gods is a Christian; you fail to mention "and has belief in a God", which is essential to Christianity.
Mea quidem sentential[/quote
Your question presupposes consciousness exists before birth and after death. Let me put this another way. You have oxygen and hydrogen. You combine the two in a way so that water is the byproduct. Prior to that, water didn't exist. It was just these atoms. So it is with my brain, which is made up of atoms that have been around for billions of years. My consciousness is a byproduct. It's kind of hard to experience anything if I'm not conscious, self-aware, or sentient.

Sure water is a byproduct of hydrogen and oxygen, but your consciousness is not something physical. There are no elements that make it up this is why I say nothing physical could ever create consciousness including your brain. Your consciousness is not the byproduct of anything, but the reality you are currently experiencing is a byproduct of your consciousness.

Black Shadow
Theos just refers to "god". It doesn't have any connotations to it that narrow it down to say "the one God". It's used the same exact way as "god" is in English, actually. Theos can be used when talking about Zeus or Hermes just like "god" can be used when talking about them. And yes, "Theos" and "God" can obviously be used in sentences when referring to Yahweh/Jehovah when the writer didn't want to refer to Him via tetragrammaton.

Theos is used in the singular form you wouldn't say there were many Theos's meaning many Gods. The word Theo which is where theology and hell even theomorphism comes can mean God or Gods. I'm just kind of going off the top I didn't go and reference my notes.

Black Shadow
This extends to the word "Theism". Not only does Theism not refer to "the belief in one God", the word you were thinking of is "Monotheism". Monotheism is the belief in one God. If you study the etymology of words like you claim, then you've done it wrong. Besides, how did you think the ancient Greeks refereed to their gods before Christianity rolled through? They used the word Theos, obviously.

Look up Theism.
noun
the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ).

Most of the time if you are talking about a theist they only believe in one God, but I suppose your technically right it would be properly termed a monotheist yes. It's sort of like this, a theist believes that at least one deity does exist, but if they believe in more then one they are polytheist. Anyway this is all a moot point.

VeganAtheistNurse
Speaking like a true Christian. Funny how the religious actually go out and shame people for not following their religion too. Just their shaming is unjustified. But I am sure you will do a wonderful job of defining terms here and explaining yourself.

I'm not a Christian nor do I follow any religions I have studied them all including science.

V.A.N
Or you will just use an incorrect definition, you know to construct a straw man, so then you could knock it down. Google "atheism definition". Also, you don't get to define the position of others. The individual gets to do that.
This appears to be an ongoing theme in this thread where by agnostics prefer to call themselves atheists possibly because it is more popular and trendy to do so right now. Grab a dictionary and look up the word.

VAN
Ok great, you defined god. Lets hope you don't change definitions anytime soon for your own convenience. It is not the standard defintion of atheism though. As I have showed you how to find a better definition both on the internet, and in real life.
I gave the dictionary definition of the word then I gave my personal understanding of what God is. I think the most accurate definition of God is whatever created the universe. If the universe simply popped into existence from nothing then that would make the nothingness God.

VAN
Um what? This is the worst argument ever. . So you just define god into existence?
Yes by definition God does exist what you all fail to realize is that is not what the debate is about. The debate is about whether or not God is sentient or not. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other the purpose of this thread is to show that nothingness is an impossibility which would cause logical fallacies to arise in true atheists. I'm talking about people who believe in nothing not agnostics who claim to be atheists.

VAN
Think again. They are not. You failed to define what conscious awareness is, and how you know that it is synonymous with god.
I'm using the standard definition, but I openly admit that is my opinion. I provided the logic which showed why I believe this.

VAN
I don't know. Can you show me nothing? I have never seen or been able to study nothing. So I don't know.
That's because nothingness doesn't exist. It's an idea and before you ask me to prove my claim I say the burden of proof lies on anyone claiming nothingness is even possible. It is them that is making the claim which they need to substantiate just like with the tea pot everybody is talking about.

VAN
How do you know this?
I'm not an on the fence remain neutral kind of thinker. I will say blatantly people made unicorns up they don't exist. I'm not gonna say well I have no reason to believe they exist like the agnostics in here. No they don't exist and neither does nothingness.

VAN
See you say this, but then you say that it says that it came from nothing. Saying that it came from nothing, and saying that we don't know where it came from are not the same thing. Pretty sure from here on out, your argument deals with your poor understanding of science and logic.

There are only two possibilities where the initial singularity came from. Either it came from nothing or it was eternal. We have already concluded that something coming from nothing is not logical this only leaves the possibility of it being eternal.

Listen I told you from the very beginning if you believe it possible for something to come from nothing or are not willing to agree that something can not come from nothing then this logical argument will break down. You can simply disregard what I am saying here because you believe it possible for something to come from nothing. There is nothing I can say to that kind of logic other then good luck with that.

VAN
Oh wow. Look at that. I was right. How do you know that something had to exist to create the stuff. Maybe something can come from nothing. How did you eliminate that and all other options and demonstrate that a god exists?
I addressed both options very clearly.

VAN

When things die they stop living. To explain this phenomenon we use a shortcut called nothing. Religious people assert that something exists after death. How do you know this? When people say there is nothing after death, that is from a subjective perspective. Granted, I don't see how you could know this for sure, but there is no evidence to support the fact that there is something for us to subjectively experience since our central nervous systems are no longer functioning to produce consciousness. This assumption comes from the fact that the only things that we have ever witnessed to be conscious are things with central nervous systems. If you want to say that something can be conscious without one, I would ask for you to demonstrate that.
The only assumption being made is that physical matter could produce consciousness. Mentioning a central nervous system is not a good argument for you I'll let you reword it because I know that's not what you really meant. Bacteria don't have a nervous system neither does the sponge or plants...

ARTISTIC LAYMAN what's going on is that agnostics are claiming to be Atheist I don't know what point your trying to make however...

Liberal Friend

FocusedIntent
Sure water is a byproduct of hydrogen and oxygen, but your consciousness is not something physical. There are no elements that make it up this is why I say nothing physical could ever create consciousness including your brain. Your consciousness is not the byproduct of anything, but the reality you are currently experiencing is a byproduct of your consciousness.

My consciousness is physical. It's affected by the physical law. It can be tested by physical means. Injury or destruction of the brain affects consciousness. Do you care to prove that consciousness is not a physical thing?
Mea quidem sententia
My consciousness is physical. It's affected by the physical law. It can be tested by physical means. Injury or destruction of the brain affects consciousness. Do you care to prove that consciousness is not a physical thing?

When you talk about the brain becoming damaged and consciousness being effected that is not because the brain is creating consciousness it is because consciousness is acting through the brain to control the body. The brain is a receiver and you are a giant antenna did you ever place your hand on radio with bad signal and your touch caused it to receive the station clearly? I will give you an example. You are consciousness and you are acting through your keyboard to type a response. If I took a hammer and smashed your keyboard so that only the letter z worked that would be all that you could type. Your ability to function through your keyboard would be hindered, but your consciousness would remain completely undamaged. Somebody on this forum observing could make the assumption that the keyboard created your consciousness and because I smashed the keyboard I damaged your consciousness so you can only type z z z over and over. That would be inaccurate just as it is with brain injuries.

I admit I can not show definitive proof that the brain does not create consciousness, but it is also true there is no proof that shows how the brain or anything physical for that matter could ever produce consciousness.

Liberal Friend

FocusedIntent
When you talk about the brain becoming damaged and consciousness being effected that is not because the brain is creating consciousness it is because consciousness is acting through the brain to control the body. The brain is a receiver and you are a giant antenna did you ever place your hand on radio with bad signal and your touch caused it to receive the station clearly? I will give you an example. You are consciousness and you are acting through your keyboard to type a response. If I took a hammer and smashed your keyboard so that only the letter z worked that would be all that you could type. Your ability to function through your keyboard would be hindered, but your consciousness would remain completely undamaged. Somebody on this forum observing could make the assumption that the keyboard created your consciousness and because I smashed the keyboard I damaged your consciousness so you can only type z z z over and over. That would be inaccurate just as it is with brain injuries.

I admit I can not show definitive proof that the brain does not create consciousness, but it is also true there is no proof that shows how the brain or anything physical for that matter could ever produce consciousness.

Can you prove that my consciousness is acting through my brain to control my body? Using an analogy isn't going to work.

Lonely Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Conversationalist 100
FocusedIntent
Black Shadow
Theos just refers to "god". It doesn't have any connotations to it that narrow it down to say "the one God". It's used the same exact way as "god" is in English, actually. Theos can be used when talking about Zeus or Hermes just like "god" can be used when talking about them. And yes, "Theos" and "God" can obviously be used in sentences when referring to Yahweh/Jehovah when the writer didn't want to refer to Him via tetragrammaton.

Theos is used in the singular form you wouldn't say there were many Theos's meaning many Gods. The word Theo which is where theology and hell even theomorphism comes can mean God or Gods. I'm just kind of going off the top I didn't go and reference my notes.

You wouldn't say there are many Theos's because Theos isn't English. Ancient Greeks didn't slap an "s" on the back end to make things plural like English does. Nor does the usage of the word preclude it from being used in plural or even feminine context. If you're going to argue semantics, don't chose to do it in a language as well documented as Ancient Greek. It's what we used to translate the rest of the Rosetta Stone.

FocusedIntent
Black Shadow
This extends to the word "Theism". Not only does Theism not refer to "the belief in one God", the word you were thinking of is "Monotheism". Monotheism is the belief in one God. If you study the etymology of words like you claim, then you've done it wrong. Besides, how did you think the ancient Greeks refereed to their gods before Christianity rolled through? They used the word Theos, obviously.

Look up Theism.
noun
the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ).

Most of the time if you are talking about a theist they only believe in one God, but I suppose your technically right it would be properly termed a monotheist yes. It's sort of like this, a theist believes that at least one deity does exist, but if they believe in more then one they are polytheist. Anyway this is all a moot point.

I DID look up Theism. Not only did you not look at the link I provided, you would have had to actually avoid quoting me just so it wouldn't show up in your response. I also had links to the Greek usage of the work Theos and the definition of Monotheism. In fact, here are the URLs again so you can stop avoiding the inevitable:

Theism: "the belief that God exists or that many gods exist"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theism

Monotheism: "the belief that there is only one God"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monotheism

Theos or θεός
Adjective: divine (used only in comparative:
Noun: a deity, a god, God
title of a ruler
Sometimes feminine, a goddess
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/θεός

I had to track down what backwards website you were using for your Theism definition since even Google contradicts your definition in the first lines after you hit "Search". You had to go down a few entries and hit up the comparatively crappy Dictionary.com....then I noticed you actually cherry-picked your definition and left out a part:
"2. belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism )"
Your own source has contradicted your assertion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff