Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timely Advisor

It's always, "We need more masculine items" or "We need more feminine items"...

Where's the outcry for more robot items?
Eh?!

Gender means nothing when you want rockets for legs!

I had gotten excited seeing the giant mech bunny, but it seems that the short end of the circuit is left square-rooted with those of us that prefer motor-oil to milkshakes. Will they ever truly be represented? Where is the robot uprising, I ask you!?

Angelic Nitemare

Kazuma Ishimaru
It's always, "We need more masculine items" or "We need more feminine items"...

Where's the outcry for more robot items?
Eh?!

Gender means nothing when you want rockets for legs!

I had gotten excited seeing the giant mech bunny, but it seems that the short end of the circuit is left square-rooted with those of us that prefer motor-oil to milkshakes. Will they ever truly be represented? Where is the robot uprising, I ask you!?

Last time a mecha anything tried starting something with me, I stabbed it in the face.

Twice.

Then he blew up a town like a sore loser. Goober still lost, heck, I'm still standing and have picture proof.

Big Member

20,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
I do agree. I've said so for years and do continue to. However,
warrior_of_boognish

is correct. Pixel dolls are largely a "girls" game, so frilly sells, and obeying trends are the largest way (and almost only?) way they behaved like a company (a gentle bashing, you've gotten better about it, Gaia.)

There can be countless threads like this, and at least two of them have been by me. But until their sells changes nothing will.

Though i'd say it doesn't help the only artist to be the most inclusive with poses is also highly sought after and her items are untouchable unless you're lucky or rich.

You know who you are.

[.Crack.]'s Fav

Sexy Melon

It's been like this for a long time. I think it was recolourmas where it struck me the most how uneven the female to male ratio was (and was when I decided to start asking for more masculine items)

I ask for masculine items because they are what I use. I spend money on items I like, which mean masculine / unisex items.
But like everyone else, I don't like every single item in this niche, but hey that's life.
In the update threads I give my two cents on the items of the day, if all the items are feminine with no unisex poses or the like, I'll ask for more masculine items. Because I like to spend cash on items I like.
What I don't say, is that feminine items are bad. A lot of them are very pretty and well made. But I just hold no interest in them at all.

IF they made an all masculine RIG, which I would LOVE, I would prefer if Gaia didn't stick to just MANLY BARA MUSCLES items and the like. Gaia imo, would need to include a full range of items, from Asian fashion to more westernised fashion, to kodona, to dapper, to everyday casual. There's a lot more out there!
I would love to dress up in a full range of colours! I wouldn't even mind bubblegum items for guys! I like the Bubblegum Mad Marionette for example! But I also like to bare my chest and show off these muscle-y arms!
In this way, some more 'male-oriented' items could be unisex.

But they need to remember the mods. I like a lot of mods. Use them all the time. But sometimes mods are too small or thin. I've been put off some items for their super tiny feet. Smaller feet do look nice on dainty and pretty avatars I've seen. But any masculine avatars I've seen prefer bigger feet, or stick to the default male base legs and dislike mods in general. Which is fine, it's all about people's own likes.

And this marks where I've forgotten the point of my post >.<

Another thing I was gunna mention, was how some people don't want Asian Fashion because it's girly. Or so I've heard.
Some people want frills for guys. Pink for guys. Things that can be deemed 'too feminine' to other people.
But everyone has different ideals and tastes. I'd love a bit of everything, but I know other's would rather have a specific slice of it all.

TLDR: Yes more masculine things. But a range of fashions for everyone. Some things could be classed unisex more.
COLOURS! PINK! Mods, and no mods.

>.<

Interstellar Marshmallow

35,375 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
"A scattered dream that's like a far off memory...

First of all, thank you for saying masculine, instead of strictly "male". Second of all, I agree with you.

I very rarely dress my avi as masculine, or any of my male ocs because there are just not enough items I personally like that would fit my style. I like elegant type things, so princely masculine items are my schtick. They me feel all dapper and such. Like I could rule the world! /maniacal laughter

Ahem. I dig the Fighter item series, to use an example of a different type of item I tend to favor. There's just something about long sleeved hoodies and my oc looking like she could knock you on your a** after wiping the blood from her chin that just.. speaks to me. emotion_kirakira

A far off memory that's like a scattered dream..."

Celestial Shapeshifter

warrior_of_boognish

Actually most artists have a preference and it just seems that Gaia's artists are more comfortable with fem/soft styles. If you look at how the industry has been going- lots of video game companies now hire freelance artists to do concept art and have a dedicated team of 3-D render artists to do the rest of the work based on the concept art. Due to the diversity of freelance artists hired to provide artwork for games, you get a decent spread of styles.

Gaia has lots of artists and they're fantastic, but from what I've noticed a lot of them are comfortable with sticking to female and soft male fashions. Even though they're nice- I can see the point that there's a lack of harder/rougher mods. I'm glad that they're now exploring more sci-fi stuff because I love the genre and it's been a little underrepresented on the site as well.

Edit:

I know that they're also not huge selling points because of demographics on the site but it'd be nice to have high quality male items in Loyal's or DC at least. I hope they put out some Western style male items for the people who want them. I think that there should be more diversity in styles.

fxxkin demon

Rhea Byrne
I'd rather see more gender-neutral clothes, than clothes on either side of the spectrum.

Need more suit pants/legmod that don't look wonky on the female base, and arm/legmods that don't look like twigs on the male base.

I'm with you on this. There have been so many items that I've passed up because even the arm mod is awesome Sal suddenly has spindly arms. Or the pants are on the wonk. I love the new GS pants we got last week but they only look good with the new strappy boots. They give the avatar a weird stance.

Arashisora's Significant Otter

Demonic Hero

Why yes. Yes we do.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Yes, I agree!

But Gaia generally needs more suits, pants, shirts, and so on.
Not just super bulky armor or weapons, please.

Making all the basic poses (ears, tails, etc.) on Pokémon gijinka items unisex would be great as well.
rolleyes If only users were specific in what they meant by "Masculine" because I distinctly remember that a "masculine" suggestion thread a long time ago actually had A LOT of metrosexual "masculine" examples in there.

If people want it, they should be implicit in examples, because clearly people seem to have very different ideas about what classes as "masculine."

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/not-enough-guy-avatar-items/t.84929775_1/

Users posted pictures examples, and they were all super different.

Also buyers of "masculine" clothes just don't seem to be big spenders *shrug* probably why Reaper isn't here anymore.

Edit edit-- The art team has been a lot better with it lately with all the gender neutrals, and check out my ava's arms man. Don't get more manly in pose than a menacing knuckle massage.

Trash Vampire

/Throws gender roles to the birds and scoffs

Tbh no one's ever happy bc nothing short of a hairy dongle in the shape of a gun shooting explosions like a cannon is good enough to be called "masculine" for a lot of folks. I fail to see why gender neutral/androgynous clothes or clothes for boys that don't conform to the rather restrictive sweaty action movie breed of masculine are somehow a failing on Gaia's part to make items for their male userbase... It alienates people who like a specific style yes, but all men/masc-presenting people? Nah.

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

Every time this issue comes out, it's "MASCULINE ITEMS MORE PLZ DANKE", but nothing else specific other than the occasional "MUUUUUSCLES!"

Which brings us the interesting, almost philosophical question: What is masculine? What counts as feminine?
This is an issue that needs to be addressed since I have seen people go into an uproar over just plain SWEATERS being not masculine enough. (when in my opinion, IT'S A SWEATER. A SWEATER DOES NOT HAVE A GENDER)
Fashion is and ever changing to victorian dandy, fop, metro, lumberjack, heck I would even count leather daddy. Not to mention all the other fantasy inspired styles as well. Which I would love to see be expanded on. I think those people complaining, need to be more specific in what they want.

Me? I'm pretty open to most styles. I'm not bugged if it has frills or if it's "oh no piiiiiink".
Because in my opinion, masculine is subjective. There's more than one way to be masculine. And if it's so fragile that wearing something in pink destroys it...well I've got nothing to say.
Fashion's weird.
User Image
Krizia Robustella Spring Summer 2015 Collection

Trash Vampire

Madam Ace
And if it's so fragile that wearing something in pink destroys it...well I've got nothing to say.
Fashion's weird.
Pink also used to be the male colour back in the day bc people saw it as being strong and masculine, whereas blue was light and dainty. (As I recall this was flipped over time when women started wearing pink to appear more masculine or something like that--boys fled from pink and clung to blue instead.) Colour branding for genders is so frail; it says a lot about a person if a single colour is enough to bring them to their knees.

Kawaii Protagonist

41,925 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Married 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
I agree that there could always be the use for more 'masculine' but as mentioned some examples of what you would like to see might come in handy. Edit into the first post of course. Masculine/Feminine item requests can come across as a very vague topic as it is so it's hard to say. I've even seen some girls mention that items seemingly marketed for them are too girly, so I suppose it goes both ways. As for myself I tend to take what I can when items come out (I've always had a male avatar). I can't say I have a solid way of putting together an avatar, but then I really wish I could figure something out. I like a lot of the items that come out, not all of them but I can say a lot of them are nice.

I would like to think that in the end sometimes topics need a little prodding and influence in order to see something done. If there's a market for it and the ideas are clear, who knows?

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

Abbacus
Madam Ace
And if it's so fragile that wearing something in pink destroys it...well I've got nothing to say.
Fashion's weird.
Pink also used to be the male colour back in the day bc people saw it as being strong and masculine, whereas blue was light and dainty. (As I recall this was flipped over time when women started wearing pink to appear more masculine or something like that--boys fled from pink and clung to blue instead.) Colour branding for genders is so frail; it says a lot about a person if a single colour is enough to bring them to their knees.

Correct, specifically around the 1920s did the switch occur. If you see a lot of the turn of the century clothing, there was a lot more liberal use of pastels.
Quote:
Pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy. While blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.
-Earnshaw infant's department, June 1918

Nothing intrinsically belongs to only one group, we decide among ourselves what makes things fem or masc, we decide.
(so says the girl, with the avatar that looks like a stripper bunny boy)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff