Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Fox

"Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson delivered a bizarre speech in which he created a hypothetical scenario about an atheist being forced to watch his "little atheist daughters" get raped and then having his p***s hacked off and shown to him.

Speaking at a Christian event in Florida on Friday, Robertson was apparently trying to "prove" that having no belief in the afterlife and its consequences would make any level of violence acceptable.

“Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters," Robertson said in audio from the Vero Beach Prayer Breakfast, obtained by Right Wing Watch. "Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him."

Robertson continued:

"And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot 'em and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? There's no right or wrong, now is it dude?'

Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'

If it happened to them, they probably would say, 'Something about this just ain't right.'"

News link: WTF?

Popular Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
On one hand, I applaud the family as a whole for expressing their beliefs.

On the other hand, he could have used a better example...

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Apparently he doesn't think Atheists and people in general judge each other, because in such a scenario, the monsters would be judged, by a ******** court of law, and probably executed.

This guy doesn't know how the world works.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
First off, I gotta say atheism=/= no morality. That was by far, one of the strangest things I've read.

Gaian

All of those Duck Dynasty bigots are backwoods idiots despite their college degrees.

Lonely Wolf

Darth Acheron
First off, I gotta say atheism=/= no morality. That was by far, one of the strangest things I've read.

This is really no different than what some Atheists do to Christians. While Phil Robertson isn't representative of Christians as a whole, the same thing goes for an Atheist that ridicules a Christian for believing in a higher power.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Two Christians break into a guy's home. They pelt him to death with rocks. The guy whose home they broke into was gay. They say, "Isn't it great that my God told me I should do this?"

Two Christians break into a guy's home. They pelt him to death with rocks. The guy whose home they broke into belonged to a different religion. They say, "Isn't it great that my God told me I should do this?"

A Christian rapes a woman. She is then forced to marry him. He says, "Isn't it great that my God told me I could do this?"

A man has hundreds of children. He makes a habit of randomly choosing favorites to treat better than all the others, but punishes them all equally for arbitrary rules that he hasn't actually bothered to go over with them all. When his children ask him why he's being such a d**k, they're shot down with, "I brought you into this world, so it doesn't matter." He afflicts them with all sorts of terrible diseases, and encourages his favorites to fight and slaughter his least favorites. He says, "Isn't it great that I'm God and can do whatever I want?"

I act kindly towards people because I want them to act kindly to me in return. I act kindly towards people because I care about them. I don't have to be told by a psychopathic third party to behave myself. If God is really the only thing holding you back from being an a*****e, maybe there's something wrong with you.

Shameless Lunatic

27,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
....Seriously? Does this guy not realize that you don't HAVE to believe in a god to know what's right and what's wrong, to have morals?
How do people even pay attention to the drivel that comes out of these folks mouths?

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ringoringa
I act kindly towards people because I want them to act kindly to me in return. I act kindly towards people because I care about them. I don't have to be told by a psychopathic third party to behave myself. If God is really the only thing holding you back from being an a*****e, maybe there's something wrong with you.
User Image
Darth Acheron

By his own logic, the guys committing the crime must be atheists, too, but he doesn't seem to be aware of it.

Now, I don't hunt ducks because I know I would be s**t at it, so why can't this guy stick to what he's best at and leave the thinking to people who actually know how to do it?

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
People who want to hurt others are going to do it regardless of whether they believe in God or not. It's just that if they believe in God they won't be "sick" they'll be "extremists". When an atheist goes off the deep and commits a crime we know that we have nobody to blame but ourselves, or we should at least if we're a normal functioning human to any extent. I've found that not believing in organized religion makes me more concerned with the world NOW rather than the one that comes after. I want this world to be and remain a better place because it's the only one I have. Although I confess, I do not deny the possibility of something greater than us existing. I just don't believe in the take that organized religion has on it. I guess I'm a true agnostic rather than an atheist. Of course a lot of people don't really get the difference between the two.

Quotable Prophet

Fox on Stilts
"Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson delivered a bizarre speech in which he created a hypothetical scenario about an atheist being forced to watch his "little atheist daughters" get raped and then having his p***s hacked off and shown to him.

Speaking at a Christian event in Florida on Friday, Robertson was apparently trying to "prove" that having no belief in the afterlife and its consequences would make any level of violence acceptable.

“Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters," Robertson said in audio from the Vero Beach Prayer Breakfast, obtained by Right Wing Watch. "Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him."

Robertson continued:

"And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot 'em and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? There's no right or wrong, now is it dude?'

Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'

If it happened to them, they probably would say, 'Something about this just ain't right.'"

News link: WTF?

And I suppose that if it happened to a Christian family, it would have been part of "God's plan".

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Ringoringa
Two Christians break into a guy's home. They pelt him to death with rocks. The guy whose home they broke into was gay. They say, "Isn't it great that my God told me I should do this?"

Two Christians break into a guy's home. They pelt him to death with rocks. The guy whose home they broke into belonged to a different religion. They say, "Isn't it great that my God told me I should do this?"

A Christian rapes a woman. She is then forced to marry him. He says, "Isn't it great that my God told me I could do this?"

A man has hundreds of children. He makes a habit of randomly choosing favorites to treat better than all the others, but punishes them all equally for arbitrary rules that he hasn't actually bothered to go over with them all. When his children ask him why he's being such a d**k, they're shot down with, "I brought you into this world, so it doesn't matter." He afflicts them with all sorts of terrible diseases, and encourages his favorites to fight and slaughter his least favorites. He says, "Isn't it great that I'm God and can do whatever I want?"

User Image

Agreed. *Was really looking for the chance to use this GIF*
Well, I'm an atheist and I enjoy practicing good morals because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm scared of a man in the sky or some guy underneath us who gets off on burning souls.

...so...
He did a poor job of explaining the idea that morality cannot exist without God because, without God or some creator or purpose, humans are nothing more than a randomly mutated lump of cells. Without souls or purpose, there isn't much difference between you and whatever you're reading this on or sitting on or any other material thing. If there is nothing after this life, then there's no real point to any of this and it doesn't matter what we do because we are just another group of things on the planet.

It's not a super-easy concept to explain, and he did an exceptionally poor job of it, probably partially because he wanted to get more attention with shock value. Unfortunately, he made it go from something along the lines of "what's the point of morality without God?" to people arguing that atheists aren't rapists/murderers and do care about people. I don't think the latter is supposed to be the point.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff