Welcome to Gaia! ::

I thought I'd come to this forum and try to get some ideas and look for suggestions from other users of this forum, but let me tell you about myself first.

I'm 27 years old, I stand 6'6" and weigh 330 lbs. (I'm pretty sure I used the scale properly, but will ask someone the next time I'm at the gym to verify)

For the last 3 or 4 weeks now I have been going to the gym and trying to be more active, I've never done much in the way of physical activity until then.

My "workout" consists of:

-10 to 15 minutes of stretching

- running 3-4 minutes (uninterrupted) at 4.5 mph with a few 1-2 minute periods after a stretch of time. Excluding the times I walk, I run for a solid 20 minutes overall.

-after running, I do another 10 minutes worth of stretching at minimum.

I'm not sure if this has any bearing on losing weight, but are there exercises that may work better for people who are big and tall as opposed to other builds? To better give you an idea of my build think of a football lineman. I have a bit of a gut. The upper torso is where most of the fat on me seems to be with a little on my legs as well. They are pretty thick though, and not as much of a concern.

My main concern is just losing the fat hanging on my upper body... I am tired of man boobs and a chubby belly. I have already made changes to my diet, I still think my issue is portion sizes more than anything. I'm much better about that now than I used to be! I'm not the biggest fan of sweets though, I rarely drink soda. Candy isn't something I eat much of either. My main drink of choice is water or the occasional tea with just a little bit of sweetener or sugar.

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I don't know much about Tall people workouts but I'm here to tell you something that will help get your stomach down❤
Have you ever had a Colon Hydrotherapy a lot of people (most Americans) have colons that are full of waste when you get your colon cleansed you automatically loose inches off of your mid section❤ have you ever noticed how some people only have huge bellies more than likely they have a clogged colon where do you live I am sure you can find a place that does colon hydrotherapy they are very affordable also.

Puzzle_Clocks's Husband

Eternal Alchemist

10,675 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Keep on working out like you are. Cardio is going to be the main way you lose weight. That being said, the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn doing cardio. If I were you, I would consider weight lifting, to add more muscle. I am glad to hear that you stretch properly.

About your diet, not eating a bunch of sugar is great! But, there are a few other things to consider. One of which is the frequency in which you eat. Most research points to the fact that eating more frequently convinces your body it isn't going to starve and that it can let go of the fat that it has built up.

Also, portion size is definitely a thing to be worried about. I would suggest, I know this is a pain, getting out the measuring cup for everything. That way you know exactly what a serving looks like.

Make sure you are eating enough in the way of fiber, drink lots of water, and remember that protein is good for making you feel full longer. Just make sure it is lean protein.

Good luck!
Kind of what the guy above me said, the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn off. It will be good to incorporate lifting into your cardio, I myself get very annoyed of cardio so I always switch it up. Another thing is watching what you eat. Eating smaller more frequently is good to help jump your metabolism. I also try not to eat after 2 or 3 hours before I go to sleep. Usually motivates me to go to sleep early, and wake up and have breakfast. I eat 5 to 6 times a day, but smaller meals. Still have my 3 main meals. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, but they're a lot smaller and inbetween them I fill in with small amounts of snack.

Key thing is to not give up. Good luck my friend stay motivated!
jamirna
exercise doesn't work if you continue to eat bad foods

And a sinking ship doesn't stay afloat for long either.

Conservative Gawker

Alchameer
I thought I'd come to this forum and try to get some ideas and look for suggestions from other users of this forum, but let me tell you about myself first.

I'm 27 years old, I stand 6'6" and weigh 330 lbs. (I'm pretty sure I used the scale properly, but will ask someone the next time I'm at the gym to verify)

For the last 3 or 4 weeks now I have been going to the gym and trying to be more active, I've never done much in the way of physical activity until then.

My "workout" consists of:

-10 to 15 minutes of stretching

- running 3-4 minutes (uninterrupted) at 4.5 mph with a few 1-2 minute periods after a stretch of time. Excluding the times I walk, I run for a solid 20 minutes overall.

-after running, I do another 10 minutes worth of stretching at minimum.

I'm not sure if this has any bearing on losing weight, but are there exercises that may work better for people who are big and tall as opposed to other builds? To better give you an idea of my build think of a football lineman. I have a bit of a gut. The upper torso is where most of the fat on me seems to be with a little on my legs as well. They are pretty thick though, and not as much of a concern.

My main concern is just losing the fat hanging on my upper body... I am tired of man boobs and a chubby belly. I have already made changes to my diet, I still think my issue is portion sizes more than anything. I'm much better about that now than I used to be! I'm not the biggest fan of sweets though, I rarely drink soda. Candy isn't something I eat much of either. My main drink of choice is water or the occasional tea with just a little bit of sweetener or sugar.

To help with your portion sizes use smaller utensils oh and narrower ones.. smaller cups, plates, spoons,forks it should make you think your're eating and drinking more.

Demonic Kitten

Your workout routine sounds great! For starting out, you're doing awesome since running probably isn't something you're used to.
I wasn't into running or anything and I started off doing exactly what you're doing (even though I wasn't over weight, I was just really out of shape) and slowly I could run for longer after every week or so.

What I did was aim for a certain amount of time every time I ran. Here's what I did: (you can adjust it to your comfort)

Start off at a good walking pace to warm up your muscles for 5 minutes; I did a 3.5 pace.
After those five minutes I would run at a 5.0 for as long as I could.
I would then do another 3.5 pace walk for 5 minutes, and try running again at 5.0

I would do this workout everyday for 30 minutes until I got to the point where I was running the 5.0 pace for the whole 30 minutes.

Once I that routine became easy, I started upping my speed to 5.5 until I became comfortable with that.

I always did my 5 minute warm up walk, and a 5 minute cool down walk.
It's to prevent overworking your muscles and allow them to adjust to what you're doing. Which you seem to do really good with your stretching, so keep that up for sure! (I've always been super impatient when it comes to stretching...)

Currently (after doing these first workouts for about 6 months) I start off with my warm up walk, then run at 5.5 for 5 minutes.
Every 5 minutes, I up my speed by 0.3 until my last minute and at that point I would run as fast as I could on the treadmill which was around 8.7 (I'm a short person so that's a fast pace for me lol)

But that work out is for when you are ready for an intense workout! Because there is no in between walks with that one. So it's definitely something you can set as a goal for later on.

For now, though, aim for longer amounts of time every week or every other week. (whenever you feel that you can do a workout with ease, then bump it up to a harder workout the following week)
This week might be 5 minutes of running straight between walks.
Next week up it to 7 minutes.
and so on.

Don't push yourself too hard though, and allow yourself a few rest days so you prevent injuries!
I would tell myself: "I would rather take a couple days off to rest, than a couple of weeks to repair."

I don't use the treadmill too much anymore since I've been signing up for a lot of 5k's and running outside is so much harder for me so I've been working on getting used to the outside terrain.
I dunno what your schedule is like, but I prefer to do my workouts in the morning shortly after I wake up.
I also prefer not to eat first since my stomach cramps up if I do, but if you need some sort of nutrition before a workout, then eat something light or drink a protein shake and drink lots of water!

I just find that working out in the morning is easier for me since once the afternoon hits, my motivation decreases by the minute and I tend to get lazy. haha redface

Food wise, it is really good that you don't eat a lot of sweets and soda. I had to cut out all soda and acidic drinks completely to start seeing any sort of results; that and fast food of all kinds. I do treat myself to pizza and sweets here and there, but my usual after dinner treats consist of smoothies from actual fruit. (no instant stuff in pre-made packets ew)
I also eat a lot of fruit and veggies! I also eat chicken, ground turkey, and fish like salmon and rainbow trout.

As for your portions, I know it's hard, but try eating slower and realize when you are no longer hungry, not full or stuffed, but just not hungry anymore.
I have an awful habit of stuffing myself because I eat everything stacked on my plate. (I was raised that way) and if you are the same way, then only give yourself small portions to start out, and if you're still legitimately hungry, then give yourself a little bit more.

Another tip I can give is set a sort of "end of shift" time every day that you should stop eating. I try to stop eating around 8pm, go brush my teeth, and drink water for the remainder of the evening. I found that if I ate a lot during the late night hours, I tend to feel sick when I woke up and would result in me not being able to workout.

Oh, and one more thing! Be sure to mix up your workouts! Running on the treadmill is a wonderful cardio workout but it can get awfully boring... So mix it up! Since you go to a gym, they should a lot of equipment for you to use. I don't know much about weights, so you would need to do some research about that part, but the way I mix up my workouts is this:

I run 3 miles every other morning, and I also like to get on my stationary bike every other morning as well for 30 minutes.
I have a kettle bell set, 10lbs medicine ball, and other small weights that I lift with and do full body workouts on the days that I don't run and spin (go on the bike). All in all, my workouts are usually 30 minutes long.

Try looking up some beginner workouts with weights to get an idea of what you should start off doing. (I follow specific workout routines myself) And much like my advice with the treadmill, set goals for every week or so to beat your previous sessions.

Sorry if that was a lot, but that pretty much sums up my entire year's worth of experience of trying to get fit and healthy all on my own. I did all the research for myself and got advise from a few friends who are runners.
Currently, I am proud of how far I have come, and I am still working on my own definition of an "awesome body" but I'm not gonna give up and neither should you! Time will fly by so fast and all you need to do is 30 minutes a day at least!

Oh! one more thing! Take a "before" picture. I know it sounds silly and weird but it is the best motivation ever! Several months from now, when you look in the mirror and feel discouraged, just look at your before picture and remind yourself of why you're doing what you're doing. It is also a good way of keeping track of your progress, since I personally do not like scales because gaining muscle means gaining weight and if your goal is to lose weight, then it can be discouraging. (that's my opinion though)

Good luck man! I'm rooting for ya! emotion_yatta

m0c4a
Your workout routine sounds great! For starting out, you're doing awesome since running probably isn't something you're used to.
I wasn't into running or anything and I started off doing exactly what you're doing (even though I wasn't over weight, I was just really out of shape) and slowly I could run for longer after every week or so.

What I did was aim for a certain amount of time every time I ran. Here's what I did: (you can adjust it to your comfort)

Start off at a good walking pace to warm up your muscles for 5 minutes; I did a 3.5 pace.
After those five minutes I would run at a 5.0 for as long as I could.
I would then do another 3.5 pace walk for 5 minutes, and try running again at 5.0

I would do this workout everyday for 30 minutes until I got to the point where I was running the 5.0 pace for the whole 30 minutes.

Once I that routine became easy, I started upping my speed to 5.5 until I became comfortable with that.

I always did my 5 minute warm up walk, and a 5 minute cool down walk.
It's to prevent overworking your muscles and allow them to adjust to what you're doing. Which you seem to do really good with your stretching, so keep that up for sure! (I've always been super impatient when it comes to stretching...)

Currently (after doing these first workouts for about 6 months) I start off with my warm up walk, then run at 5.5 for 5 minutes.
Every 5 minutes, I up my speed by 0.3 until my last minute and at that point I would run as fast as I could on the treadmill which was around 8.7 (I'm a short person so that's a fast pace for me lol)

But that work out is for when you are ready for an intense workout! Because there is no in between walks with that one. So it's definitely something you can set as a goal for later on.

For now, though, aim for longer amounts of time every week or every other week. (whenever you feel that you can do a workout with ease, then bump it up to a harder workout the following week)
This week might be 5 minutes of running straight between walks.
Next week up it to 7 minutes.
and so on.

Don't push yourself too hard though, and allow yourself a few rest days so you prevent injuries!
I would tell myself: "I would rather take a couple days off to rest, than a couple of weeks to repair."

I don't use the treadmill too much anymore since I've been signing up for a lot of 5k's and running outside is so much harder for me so I've been working on getting used to the outside terrain.
I dunno what your schedule is like, but I prefer to do my workouts in the morning shortly after I wake up.
I also prefer not to eat first since my stomach cramps up if I do, but if you need some sort of nutrition before a workout, then eat something light or drink a protein shake and drink lots of water!

I just find that working out in the morning is easier for me since once the afternoon hits, my motivation decreases by the minute and I tend to get lazy. haha redface

Food wise, it is really good that you don't eat a lot of sweets and soda. I had to cut out all soda and acidic drinks completely to start seeing any sort of results; that and fast food of all kinds. I do treat myself to pizza and sweets here and there, but my usual after dinner treats consist of smoothies from actual fruit. (no instant stuff in pre-made packets ew)
I also eat a lot of fruit and veggies! I also eat chicken, ground turkey, and fish like salmon and rainbow trout.

As for your portions, I know it's hard, but try eating slower and realize when you are no longer hungry, not full or stuffed, but just not hungry anymore.
I have an awful habit of stuffing myself because I eat everything stacked on my plate. (I was raised that way) and if you are the same way, then only give yourself small portions to start out, and if you're still legitimately hungry, then give yourself a little bit more.

Another tip I can give is set a sort of "end of shift" time every day that you should stop eating. I try to stop eating around 8pm, go brush my teeth, and drink water for the remainder of the evening. I found that if I ate a lot during the late night hours, I tend to feel sick when I woke up and would result in me not being able to workout.

Oh, and one more thing! Be sure to mix up your workouts! Running on the treadmill is a wonderful cardio workout but it can get awfully boring... So mix it up! Since you go to a gym, they should a lot of equipment for you to use. I don't know much about weights, so you would need to do some research about that part, but the way I mix up my workouts is this:

I run 3 miles every other morning, and I also like to get on my stationary bike every other morning as well for 30 minutes.
I have a kettle bell set, 10lbs medicine ball, and other small weights that I lift with and do full body workouts on the days that I don't run and spin (go on the bike). All in all, my workouts are usually 30 minutes long.

Try looking up some beginner workouts with weights to get an idea of what you should start off doing. (I follow specific workout routines myself) And much like my advice with the treadmill, set goals for every week or so to beat your previous sessions.

Sorry if that was a lot, but that pretty much sums up my entire year's worth of experience of trying to get fit and healthy all on my own. I did all the research for myself and got advise from a few friends who are runners.
Currently, I am proud of how far I have come, and I am still working on my own definition of an "awesome body" but I'm not gonna give up and neither should you! Time will fly by so fast and all you need to do is 30 minutes a day at least!

Oh! one more thing! Take a "before" picture. I know it sounds silly and weird but it is the best motivation ever! Several months from now, when you look in the mirror and feel discouraged, just look at your before picture and remind yourself of why you're doing what you're doing. It is also a good way of keeping track of your progress, since I personally do not like scales because gaining muscle means gaining weight and if your goal is to lose weight, then it can be discouraging. (that's my opinion though)

Good luck man! I'm rooting for ya! emotion_yatta

I'll try to address everything you mentioned, I appreciate such a lengthy, detailed post!

It seems as though I have a similar routine to what you had, so it's good to know I set some reasonable speeds. I do think I'll start weight lifting a little earlier than anticipated.

I don't run every day, right now it's 3 or 4 times a week on average. My boyfriend and I go at the same times. My schedule (at least in terms of what days I work) is never the same. I almost exclusively work a day shift which is from 7 am to 3 pm give or take a few hours starting and ending. I'm not sure I'd want to get up earlier for working out or not, and going the evening/afternoon is working out pretty well for me.

As for my diet: Like I said, sweets are not an issue. I can take them or leave them, and I feel like that is a blessing. I'm trying to eat more veggies (I like some, I just don't usually seek them out) and more fruit. I don't do it all the time, but I'm trying to turn sliced apples and peanut butter into my go-to snack. I've given consideration to making smoothies and trying to do nothing but drink those for a full day here and there in place of meals. However, I may wait a little longer to do that.

The idea is to go in to law enforcement, I feel like it is my calling, and received a lot of support including my therapist who has helped me work through some stress. I never thought about taking a "before" picture, but seeing as how I quite literally want to make some drastic changes, I think it would be a good idea.

I appreciate everyone who contributed and offered suggestions!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff