Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, for the last 3-4 weeks, I have started attending a gym. Most of that time has been dedicated to running (I also stretch before and after the initial work out).

I recently ordered shoes intended for jogging but thought I'd ask if there were things I may have overlooked. Do my fellow gaians have recommendations for me? I run for a period of 3 minutes without stopping, then walk for 1 to 2 minutes. So in 20 or 25 minutes I cover a mile or so on a treadmill. After that I'll walk slowly for a few minutes then do some stretching afterwards for another 15 minutes at minimum.

I'm 6'5" and 300+ pounds (most of which is muscle). I like to think that I'm making progress, but need to properly weigh myself as I haven't done so in long time.

Thirteenth Cat

6,250 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Lapin Patrol Chad: Victory! 50
  • Hesitant Participant 100
It's a great step that you got proper running shoes. Have you looked into running socks?
When I began running I didn't have running-specific socks and was okay, but once I went up in my weekly milage I found it necessary to invest in some because I began getting lots of blisters confused
I only run with Wrightsock Coolmesh II now and I have not had any more trouble. They're breathable and acts like two layers of socks even though it's one. They've been great. I get them at my local running shop but I know they're on Amazon as well: http://wrightsock.myshopify.com/products/coolmesh-ii
atomic.strawberry
It's a great step that you got proper running shoes. Have you looked into running socks?
When I began running I didn't have running-specific socks and was okay, but once I went up in my weekly milage I found it necessary to invest in some because I began getting lots of blisters confused
I only run with Wrightsock Coolmesh II now and I have not had any more trouble. They're breathable and acts like two layers of socks even though it's one. They've been great. I get them at my local running shop but I know they're on Amazon as well: http://wrightsock.myshopify.com/products/coolmesh-ii

I had not considered purchasing specific socks. I like the anklet style of socks... anything shorter or longer than that drives me nuts. I will definitely check them out though, thanks!

Thirteenth Cat

6,250 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Lapin Patrol Chad: Victory! 50
  • Hesitant Participant 100
Alchameer
atomic.strawberry

I had not considered purchasing specific socks. I like the anklet style of socks... anything shorter or longer than that drives me nuts. I will definitely check them out though, thanks!

You're welcome! biggrin

Familiar Explorer

You a veteran lifter?

Then I'm sure you're use to that feeling pushing yourself to a critical threshold, and then forcing yourself to continue on for a lot longer then you originally thought you could handle. That's all you really have to do for running.

I treat my cardio like burnout sets, if I'm not just barely getting by on fumes for the last minute or more then I haven't run hard enough yet.

Are you flat footed? If so you need to watch how your foot strikes the ground, and being as heavy as you are you need to mind how the rest of your body carries and balances your weight as your legs push off the ground.
xthumbtack
You a veteran lifter?

Then I'm sure you're use to that feeling pushing yourself to a critical threshold, and then forcing yourself to continue on for a lot longer then you originally thought you could handle. That's all you really have to do for running.

I treat my cardio like burnout sets, if I'm not just barely getting by on fumes for the last minute or more then I haven't run hard enough yet.

Are you flat footed? If so you need to watch how your foot strikes the ground, and being as heavy as you are you need to mind how the rest of your body carries and balances your weight as your legs push off the ground.

No, I'm not a lifter at all. This is my start in the world of fitness.

Most pain that I have experienced so far is in my back, and that isn't even during my running. I am also dating a licensed massage therapist so he is able to help my body recover in the event I really cause a problem that is muscle related.

Familiar Explorer

Alchameer

Most pain that I have experienced so far is in my back, and that isn't even during my running. I am also dating a licensed massage therapist so he is able to help my body recover in the event I really cause a problem that is muscle related.

Back pain huh? Can you describe it in more detail? Like where, and if it feels like a sharp pain or more of an ache? Or any details about how you feel in general while running is good too.

And that's good, my momma use to give me massages after each race in high school. Get massages anyway even if you aren't in pain xd

Enduring Sex Symbol

Honestly?

Less running, more lifting.

Research things like "high intensity interval training," "sprinting," "Tabata workouts," etc. etc. Maximize impact in shorter periods.

It's easy to actually overdo cardio exercise and not give your body enough time to recover. Remember that weightlifting, if properly done, builds up muscle, most extended cardio activity like long distance running, breaks it down very readily. So you must rest and recover very well, make sure you are eating enough calories to maintain muscle, and integrate heavy lifting to keep a balance in your exercise routine and keep your muscles in shape.

You don't want to be one of those obsessive treadmillers or eliptical junkies that go at top speed for hours every day and still can't drop a pound because of the massive amounts of stress this puts on the body.

Enduring Sex Symbol

xthumbtack

Horrible advice.

Really. The worst. gonk

You should never push your body to the point of actual, physical pain during exercise. This means you are either doing the exercise improperly or you have done it for too long, too hard.

This is not conducive to health, weightloss, or general well-being.

My rule of thumb is, schedule exercise, make plans for it. But, if you feel ANYTHING is amiss with your body, you have unexplained aches and pains, just aren't feeling it as you start your routine, stop, leave the gym at once, let your body recover a bit more and come back later.

Overtraining and pushing yourself past maximum is just asking for injuries that may possibly become permanent.

Back pain, for one, is a sign that running posture may be incorrect, or you may simply be pushing yourself too hard. I'd look into correcting the issues with the back pain BEFORE I'd go around telling people to "run past the point of utter exhaustion and pain." That will make the back pain just get worse and worse. confused
xthumbtack
Alchameer

Back pain huh? Can you describe it in more detail? Like where, and if it feels like a sharp pain or more of an ache? Or any details about how you feel in general while running is good too.

And that's good, my momma use to give me massages after each race in high school. Get massages anyway even if you aren't in pain xd

It's all lower back when it shows up. Only on occasion do I have pain in my shoulders. I just need to do more exercises involving my back, I think. And someone has suggested lifting, so I will probably start to incorporate that soon.
1-800-OMG-STFU
xthumbtack

Horrible advice.

Really. The worst. gonk

You should never push your body to the point of actual, physical pain during exercise. This means you are either doing the exercise improperly or you have done it for too long, too hard.

My rule of thumb is, schedule exercise, make plans for it. But, if you feel ANYTHING is amiss with your body, you have unexplained aches and pains, just aren't feeling it as you start your routine, stop, leave the gym at once, let your body recover a bit more and come back later.

Overtraining and pushing yourself past maximum is just asking for injuries that may possibly become permanent.

Back pain, for one, is a sign that running posture may be incorrect, or you may simply be pushing yourself too hard. I'd look into correcting the issues with the back pain BEFORE I'd go around telling people to "run past the point of utter exhaustion and pain." That will make the back pain just get worse and worse. confused

I will definitely keep this in mind. I have not experienced any back pain as a result of running though, and I think some of it has to do with my posture at times. I think doing some lifting or more specific stretches/yoga that target the back will take care of my dull back pain.
It's possible that my job is affecting it slightly, I'm on my feet most of the time. If I am able to sit, it's not usually in a proper chair (milk crates make for a makeshift seat)

Enduring Sex Symbol

Alchameer
1-800-OMG-STFU
xthumbtack

Horrible advice.

Really. The worst. gonk

I will definitely keep this in mind. I have not experienced any back pain as a result of running though, and I think some of it has to do with my posture at times. I think doing some lifting or more specific stretches/yoga that target the back will take care of my dull back pain.
It's possible that my job is affecting it slightly, I'm on my feet most of the time. If I am able to sit, it's not usually in a proper chair (milk crates make for a makeshift seat)

Actually, standing, and paying attention to my posture more has really HELPED my back. I think the issue was that when I was sitting (and even still now), I never really seem to be able to maintain good posture. Keeping proper posture is EASIER when one is standing in my opinion.

I will point out that the majority of people with major back issues are in sedentary jobs that keep them sitting and not moving for large periods of time. Simple motions like walking constantly, but at a slow pace, standing, performing back stretches, are very simple and VERY healing things we can do to counter the various aches and pains our body may experience.

Familiar Explorer

1-800-OMG-STFU

Horrible advice.

Really. The worst. gonk

Whoa whoa, I never said anything about pushing through actual pain!

But the feeling of tiredness from running is good to push through! So long as you're in good condition, meaning you've properly hydrated, watched your meals, are warmed up and rested enough.

Any sort of unnatural pain should definitely be avoided, but if you stop and rest any time you start to get tired, you'll make little progress. But progress is progress, so if you don't feel comfortable feeling tired, that's okay, just working as hard as you want is good enough.
Couple running and cardio with meditation and your mood and results will be multiplied!
Running and Meditation

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces