Welcome to Gaia! ::

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
This is simply a tragedy.

Jeffrey Bellinger, 13, from Cedar Lake, Ind., asked his mom if he could walk home from school Tuesday. She said yes.

He walked along railway tracks, a short cut. He had, police say, earphones on under his hoodie.

As ABC7 reports, a freight train came in his direction. The driver sounded his horn. But Bellinger didn't hear it.

The train struck him and killed him. He was an only child.

His mom told ABC: "I started calling him and wasn't getting any answer. Then I heard there was an incident on the train tracks. Didn't know it was him at the time."

ABC said that Tom Taylor, the superintendent of Bellinger's school district -- Hannover Community School -- had told kids not to walk along the railway tracks.

Taylor said: "In particular at our high school we've always suggested that they have one earbud in and one earbud out."

Too many times, children and adults walk the streets (and sometimes even drive) with both ears full of music, and none listening to what is going on around them.

In Bellinger's case, all that remains are memories, grief and a wish that a boy had at least had one earbud out.

Link
emotion_facepalm
This is so avoidable! Just turn the music down some. I mean, how loud was the music so he couldn't hear a freaking train?

Kawaii Guildswoman

8,050 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Loiterer 100
He should've listened to the principal's advice before he left school, for one. For another, he should've also kept the music down to listen for the train, and also kept half the earphones in. That's just logic and common sense. emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
We live a mile or two so away from where the train crosses the street and sounds the sirens, and with closed windows we can hear a train coming. How can he not hear it coming from a few feet away?

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Pochiin
emotion_facepalm
This is so avoidable! Just turn the music down some. I mean, how loud was the music so he couldn't hear a freaking train?
I agree, We have a train coming near where I live, and that is like one or two miles away, and with our windows closed we can hear the train coming.

Kawaii Shoujo

My late grandparents house was located near some tracks( not too far from their backyard), anyhow we could definitely hear the train coming, and we could actually feel the vibrations as well since the house would shake.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
...How did he not know walking right along railroad tracks was a bad idea at his age?
That is really sad, people should never walk around with earplugs in. It makes them so unaware.

JamesWN's Wife

Colorful Hourglass

Even with earbuds a train should be loud as heck.
Golly,was his music up so loud to the point someone close by could hear all the lyrics? DX

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Pochiin
emotion_facepalm

Yeah, my thoughts too.
A nearby train whistle could penetrate most raves. I suspect it was less about physical hearing and more about being mentally in a different space and not paying any attention at all to his surroundings.

Shy Rabbit

10,965 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Bullshit. How can you not hear a train?

Big Noob

Charles Darwin
Got one!

He missed the lady with the cell phone and the Ohio teen.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Lady Kariel
That is really sad, people should never walk around with earplugs in. It makes them so unaware.

I can walk around with both earplugs in and still hear/be aware of things. The problem with most kids is that they turn their music up way too loud, which in turn drowns out any outside noise. Meanwhile I have sensitive ears so I can only have my music up to no more than two bars.

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
this is y its called pay attention 2 your surroundings

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers