Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stylish Fashionista

I don't see that being effective seeing as a lot of sites have age limits and yet people can just pick and chose what date and year will make them meet it. It would be nice if websites were able to improve that but they can't. So with Gaia raising the age limit and then doing a mass banning of accounts who don't meet it....what will be the point if you can just make a new account even after getting perma banned? It would just be pointless.

Though the way I also see it is that parents need to better monitor their kids computer activity. They clearly are lacking. I mean a user just admitted to being here since they were ten. That isn't Gaia's fault but rather the parents.

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

Andranis
Just because it's on TV doesn't mean kids should be watching it. And what kids show do YOU know of that has STRIPPER POLES and people in THONGS? The only cartoons I know of that have people getting heads cut off are explicitly rated for older teens, NOT 13-year-olds.

As another point toward Gaia raising the age limit from 13 to 17 or 18 - Video games. The content of Gaia, if it were a video game, would get it slapped with an 18+/Mature Content label. And considering part of this site's point is that it's got games on it... This is not a game I'd let a 13 year old play.

As for lying, well... If they get caught, they get banned, simple as that. And for the people already on the site? I feel sorry for them and the corruption they're getting from Gaia :/

As it is? If my oldest nephew were 3 years older and wanted to sign up for Gaia right now, I would tell him no, and I would tell my sister point-blank that there are people running around with avatars that are practically nude, some with heads that look blown off with blood spurting out of the stump their necks are, and there's far too much suggestive content.

It's fine if you wouldn't want your nephew/children on Gaia, that's kind of the point of the ratings, so parents can review and make the call on their own what they personally find suitable for their child. Some marital can be inappropriate with PG13, it's the correct rating.

MRLucas Lee's Princess

Cosmic Animal

I don't think the age restriction is something that needs to be changed; besides, the 13+ rating from 10/11 years ago was different to what 13+ is now. I don't think Gaia is doing any harm. We're just tiny pixel dolls after all. emotion_awesome

And I think Gaia understands that their userbase started at 13 (or even younger as some people have said they were) and have grown up. Their business will be catering to the larger portion of the site.

Edgy Trash

There is no reason for Gaia to change its age rating. Just because the OP is offended for other people doesn't mean that Gaia should cater specifically to them and their delicate sensitivities.

Gaia's items are tame, really. I've seen worse. Believe it or not, a lot of what was considered "adult" content before is considered 13+ now.

PeachiiTea's Partner

Biggest Sex Symbol

66,425 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Though that might sound nice, it probably would hurt Gaia more than help.

I would rather they ease off when making our avatars and such, no matter how "suggestive" they may look.
We are using items the we BUY and that they PROVIDED us.

Also, I wonder if it would just be possible to make a 18+ forum, that would deny you entry based on your birth date?
And if you're concerned about people just altering their birth date to get in, well that is actually a bannable offense.

Fashionable Powerhouse

I think an age of around 15 would be nice. However, it does cut the cord for users who are currently registered as under that age, which makes things complicated.

Gaia should realize the sensitivity of their youth.

Yes, kids grow up watching violence and basic nudity, but it's different when it's paraded in front of them on a website meant for simple fun. I'm sure their parents wouldn't want their thirteen year old going on a site where one of the main advertisements is for lingerie.

Perfect Borg

10,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Nerd 50
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Andranis
Knowing the items that are on this website? No parent would let their 13-year-old on Gaia.

That's like saying no parent would take their 13-year-old to see an R rated movie, which is obviously not true.

Also.. Raising the bar on the age restriction of the site to 18 would mean kicking off every under-aged user on the site. Effectively, it means booting a large chunk of their users based on your opinion of what is okay for them to see or make with their avatars. So uh.. It's not going to happen.
honestly 13 year-olds are mature enough to handle thongs and cigarettes. They see these things in the media and probably in real-life by now. They are not innocent 'children' who need there eyes covered.

I agree this isn't meant for young children (0-10) since in those ages children are very very impressionable. and easily persuaded. but I remember by the time I was thirteen we had been long past the point of learning about drugs, I had friends who had done alcohol, friends who smoked weed, friends who had sex. all very decent people. And I still haven't done those things.

I don't support drugs or sex. (for adults its more of an at-your-own-risk thing) but 13 year-olds more than likely already have seen this. Most middle schoolers have already been exposed to it. because it's real life.

By the way, just so I don't sound like a stupid 12 year-old, I am 16 and turning 17 next month.
Gaia would have to be very careful about that. Some might argue part of what crippled tentacl was the issues with age exclusiveness.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff