Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
OHIO (KRON) — It’s today’s classic love story.

American boy meets girl on the internet. Boy travels 7,000 miles to China to meet girl. Girl decides she’s not interested.

Lovelorn boy then gets drunk, loses all of his money, and is found unconscious and suffering from hypothermia after falling into the Xu River — presumably to find other fish.

Authorities in China say an 18-year-old Ohio boy, known only as Pratt, fell in love with a Chinese girl after first finding her photos online. He told police that he didn’t know her real name, the Daily Mail reported.

The boy promised the girl he would visit her but she may not have taken him seriously until he suddenly turned up in Jiangshan, according to police.

The Daily Mail reported that detectives confirmed the teen tried to call the girl several times but was told to leave her alone, and his number was blocked. That’s when he became depressed about the rejection and started drinking.

Police found him later lying next to the Xu River in pretty bad shape.

“He was unconscious and lying in a pool of his own vomit. It looks as if he might have fallen in the water at some stage as his clothes and shoes were soaked. To be honest he was so inebriated, he could easily have drowned. It was only a short distance to the water,” a Cheng Bei Police Station spokesperson was quoted on Qianjiang TV.

Police tracked down the girl but she refused to see him despite learning about his near-death experience.

The hotel manager where Pratt was staying heard about his heartbreak and let him stay for free.

A police spokesperson said the boy has since recovered and was on a plane to Ohio.

Article link.

I don't feel sorry for him, he didn't even really tell her other than just mentioning he'll visit, and she didn't seem interested in the first place. You can't just go out and meet someone you don't know anything about just cause you think they're pretty. I'd hardly call it a love story but a creepy guy on the net.

Big Noob

At least, it wasn't that he went off to look for someone named...ISIS. ninja

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Face... meet palm...

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Aww, how sad. cat_emo

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The young man sounds like an unrealistic loser.
Both surprising her by just showing up without firm arrangements and how he dealt with the rejection suggest instability or lack of maturity.

And depending on how traditional her family is - it's one thing to maybe flirt a bit with some guy half way around the globe. It's another to have him showing up on your doorstep and having to explain him to your family.
David2074
Both surprising her by just showing up without firm arrangements and how he dealt with the rejection suggest instability or lack of maturity.

And depending on how traditional her family is - it's one thing to maybe flirt a bit with some guy half way around the globe. It's another to have him showing up on your doorstep and having to explain him to your family.
Couldn't of said it better. It's completely disrespectful to her too, not to mention just plain creepy.

I do wonder how he got the money, if his parents or someone paid for it. That's gotta cost a lot to just book a flight right then and there and to China even.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Mika Mika Chann
David2074

Couldn't of said it better. It's completely disrespectful to her too, not to mention just plain creepy.

I do wonder how he got the money, if his parents or someone paid for it. That's gotta cost a lot to just book a flight right then and there and to China even.

Out of curiosity I checked airfare from Cincinnati Ohio to Yiwu, China. The cheapest fares I can find are in the 1,000 to 1,200 range for a single person round trip.

I am reminded of those parodies of the old Visa commercials.
Internet connection - $50
Airfare to China - $1200
Booze - $15
Having the entire world know you were found drunk, wet, half dead and humiliatingly rejected on the bank of some river in a foreign country - PRICELESS rofl

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
I hate to mention it. But I know a member of this site who did that thing and got rejected as well (has another gf and still does not know how to properly conduct himself) but not so drastically, thankfully. So this is not the first case. Sad that it will not be the last.

Shy Fairy

19,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Timid 100
I felt a little sad for him until I read further and realized that not only had they not been talking to each other very long, he didn't even know her real name.
It sort of sounds more like he stumbled across her photo, maybe sent some unsolicited messages that she didn't take seriously, then decided to blow a bunch of money to track her down.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
He sounds like a moron and I feel bad for her that this is making headlines. He didn't even know her real name so how did he find her address? I mean maybe she told him about where she lives not thinking he could ever get there but really to actually go and track her down... this guy is a total creep. He flew 7,000 miles cause he wanted to get laid. For what it cost him he could probably hire a high class prostitute.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Nyadriel
I hate to mention it. But I know a member of this site who did that thing and got rejected as well (has another gf and still does not know how to properly conduct himself) but not so drastically, thankfully. So this is not the first case. Sad that it will not be the last.

Wait, a Gaian pulled this s**t?

Is it someone I know?

It almost sounds like the kind of thing I'd develop a reputation for, other than the "has a girlfriend" part, though I'm not financially solid enough really to be able to accomplish such a thing.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Keltoi Samurai
Nyadriel

Is it someone I know?

It almost sounds like the kind of thing I'd develop a reputation for, other than the "has a girlfriend" part, though I'm not financially solid enough really to be able to accomplish such a thing.

He thought he was in love. But it is hard to know if you love a person if you do not know them. He's a teenager, by the way. Recently he told some guy off in a very vicious way and I told him to calm down and not to control who she is friends with. That sort of behavior (as well as the kind of thing as his and as is in the news story) is not wanted. Obsessive behavior is very dangerous.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Nyadriel
Keltoi Samurai
Nyadriel

Is it someone I know?

He thought he was in love. But it is hard to know if you love a person if you do not know them. He's a teenager, by the way. Recently he told some guy off in a very vicious way and I told him to calm down and not to control who she is friends with. That sort of behavior (as well as the kind of thing as his and as is in the news story) is not wanted. Obsessive behavior is very dangerous.

So, not someone I know, then.

You'd be surprised at the kind of rumors I've been hearing about myself of late, so I was rather concerned that another tall story was getting circulated.

I recently found out that I'd apparently been killed in New York City again.

Undead Enchantress

Witness the birth of a stalker/serial killer.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff