Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can be found here

Quote:

It's been a good month for completely absurd law changes. Last week, Ireland quite suddenly legalised ecstasy and ketamine, and this week Oklahoma has seen fit to restrict marriage to people of faith.

A bill that would restrict the right to marry to people of faith and require all marriage licenses to be approved by a member of clergy was approved by the Oklahoma state House on Tuuesday.

House Bill 1125, which would effectively ban all secular marriages in the state, was passed by a Republican majority and will now go to the state Senate for consideration.

"Marriage was not instituted by government. It was instituted by God. There is no reason for Oklahoma or any state to be involved in marriage," said one of the bill's Republican supporters Rep. Dennis Johnson, though marriage is a legal contract.

I'm actually inclined to agree with him despite being an atheist myself. Marriage is interwoven with religion and I'd sooner see secular people reject it and come up with their own commitments, though admittedly I'd rather we came to that realisation naturally than where forced into it by Republicans.

It seems this bill isn't fuelled by a desire to segregate atheists however but is a thinly-veiled attack on gay marriage. By restricting the issuing of marriage licenses to the clergy and not judges and court clerks, the bill would make it harder for same-sex marriages to take place.

Oklahomans for Equality described the proposal as an "all-out assault on the LGBT citizens of Oklahoma."

Discuss among yourselves.
I find it to be a truly annoying double whammy though.
Are they also doing away with divorce, because I'm pretty sure the religious type of marriage is suppose to be forever.

Popular Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
This won't last long. Someone will take it to the U.S. Supreme Court and they will win.

Sikhil's Wife

Shameless Firestarter

15,025 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pointless unless all laws are changed that involved spouses being on insurance, taxes, etc etc etc...

You can't discriminate and tell two people they can't wed and share the same benefits of a close couple that a religious couple can. It's like the longer time goes on the more retarded the religious extremists on the Christian side get.

What they probably want to do is: 'no one that isn't christian can get married'

and instead they settled for the only group they thought they could logically discriminate against.

For a religion that preaches love and acceptance - Christians in organized churches are 90% of the time some of the largest assholes I've ever known.

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
Oh, there's an easy way to get around this, become a pastafarian!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
I guess I'm joining the Church of Cheesus. I can worship the Lord of Cheese and not be discriminated...unless people don't like Cheesus or Cheese in general. :/

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Tipsy Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
Not only is this awful and discriminatory, but it's also stupid. Marriage existed before Christianity.

Lonely Wolf

Krissim Klaw
Are they also doing away with divorce, because I'm pretty sure the religious type of marriage is suppose to be forever.

In the Bible, it states that divorce is allowed IF infidelity becomes an issue.

"Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery" (Matthew 19:7-9)

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ok, quick, everyone move to Oklahoma so we can become politicians and beat out the complete friggen morrons who are currently making bills/laws
Culinary Master
Krissim Klaw

In the Bible, it states that divorce is allowed IF infidelity becomes an issue.

"Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery" (Matthew 19:7-9)
Ah so it appears men and lesbians can still have an out. It sounds like if your a heterosexual girl though you are still out of luck.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
******** them. It won't last.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
It won't last, a court is going to strik this down and I am certian that there are groups right now compileing lawsuits and just like our legislators, this lawsuit is going to accomplish nothing but costing taxpayers a lot of money.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Quick! Everyone that follows other faiths besides Christianity better get their butts down there to get married! They want to restrict marriage to only people of faith? Let's give them a taste of their own medicine! cat_pirate
And the pissing contest continues...

I don't like either side in this case.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
1. It seems unlikely this bill will pass.
2. If it passes it will almost certainly be struck down by the courts.
3. From some articles I've been reading - like this one - if this bill passes and survives it may backfire in a way not intended by the folks who wrote it.

While it is true some sort of "religion" would have to be involved, pretty much any religion will do.
HB 1125 would change that. Authored by state Rep. Todd Russ, R-Cordell, the bill eliminates marriage licenses and widens a loophole that allows online groups to ordain minsters who can then register and legally perform marriage ceremonies.

Current state law allows representatives of secular entities and religious officials “of any denomination who has been duly ordained or authorized by the church” to register with a county.

HB 1125 bill would strengthen that language by allowing representatives “of other assemblies” to preside at wedding ceremonies.

In Tulsa, Paula Scheider was ordained two years ago. But Scheider, who makes her living as a corporate trainer, wasn’t ordained by a mainstream church – instead, she was ordained by the Church of The Latter-Day Dude, a website inspired by the movie, "The Big Lebowski."

Scheider said she went to the church’s website, filled out the form and received her certificate of ordination. Scheider said she “made her ordination official” by going to the Tulsa County Court Clerk’s office and registering her paperwork.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff