Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

Throw the book at him!

A candidate in the race to be Kentucky's next lieutenant governor was arrested Wednesday on charges apparently connected to an overdue library book.

Johnathan Masters, 33, a Democratic challenger for the office, was driving to Bowling Green for a TV interview when a Kentucky State Trooper pulled him over.

"He said my tags were expired," Masters told The Huffington Post. "I thought he was going to let me go because he was real friendly, but then he went back to his patrol car and was gone for about 15 minutes.

"When he came back, he asked me, 'Did you take out a library book 11 years ago?'" Masters said.

It seems Masters had a warrant out for his arrest on of the charge of “theft by failure to make required disposition of property," a misdemeanor when the property is under $500.

"I started to laugh, but he said, 'This is serious!' and he took me to jail for three hours," Masters said.

Masters was booked on the outstanding warrant and paid $100 bond to get out. He is scheduled to be arraigned March 30.

"I plan to fight the charges," he said. "I'm going to request a jury trial."

Masters was born Kevin Deaton, but said he legally changed his name in 2004.

"I didn't "want to carry the legacy of my violent oppressive father," he said.

He suspects the name change is the reason for why the warrant wasn't issued for 11 years.

Masters is getting sympathy from an unlikely source: Drew Curtis, who is running to be Kentucky governor as an independent candidate. He suspects Masters could have been set up by a competitor, but admits he has no proof.

"I've seen no evidence of political dirty tricks, but it seems strange that police would drive around looking for missing library books," Curtis told HuffPost.

A Kentucky State Police spokeswoman could not find information about Masters being arrested for a missing library book. The only information in her files only said Masters was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Masters told Fox News that he recalls visiting Kenton County library, but does not recall taking out a book.

Masters said his struggles point to why he feels the legal system in Kentucky needs to be changed.

"I call it the 'Injustice System'," he said. "It's not like Mayberry. When you walk in, they assume you're guilty. If you can't help someone, don't harm them."

Masters could be spending much of the election season defending himself in court.

In February, he was accused of screaming at and threatening to harm a school principal. He also allegedly harassed a dean at Spalding University, where he was a student, according to Courier-Journal.com.

"He has a problem with school administrators," Assistant Jefferson County Attorney Tim McCauley told a judge during a pretrial hearing last month.

Masters admits challenging the dean to a boxing match, "which I'm not proud of," he said, but the truth will come out in court.

Source

Memo to self: Check to see if I have any overdue library books and promptly return them to the library.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
So... let this be a lesson to all good children. If you don't take back your library books the police WILL arrest you (or your parents actually). I wonder how many people are rushing over to the library they haven't visited in like 10 years so that they can make sure they don't have any overdue library books or fees.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Library: 1 Politicians: I wish I could say zero but with the way they fun libraries... Let's just say it's a well deserved win for the library.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I...

*lame joke about a guy from Kentucky actually going to a library*

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Masters is getting sympathy from an unlikely source: Drew Curtis, who is running to be Kentucky governor as an independent candidate. He suspects Masters could have been set up by a competitor, but admits he has no proof.

I have to agree. The timing sounds really suspicious. Plus I have never heard of anyone being arrested for one single library book. Plus I would think it would be thrown out simply due to statute of limitations. Who keeps records of a library book they allegedly checked out 11 years ago?

Besides - it sounds like this guy supplies his own "dirt" for opponents to harp on without dragging up an 11 year old library book.

In February, he was accused of screaming at and threatening to harm a school principal. He also allegedly harassed a dean at Spalding University, where he was a student, according to Courier-Journal.com.

lol - speaking of "screaming and threatening" my capcha is "pester power"

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
That is one authoritative librarian. Or one heck of a setup.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff