Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
So I have 2 pit bull things (they are mixes labeled as pit bull type).

Pit 1 (Keta) is extremely fearful.. of everything. She is 11 years old, has bad joints, and is overweight. She HATES going on walks and I normally end up nearly dragging her the whole time.

Pit 2 (Emmett) is stubborn. He is also around 11 and is extremely overweight (I've had him for a little over a year. He has lost some weight, but needs to lose a lot more). He likes the walk when we first start out, but before long he is falling behind. I don't walk fast so it's not like he should be having trouble keeping up.

I've started taking them on short daily walks (about a mile) with the hope that eventually we will be able to build up to longer walks, but about half way through the walk I'm out in front with the two dogs trailing behind. Every little thing frightens Keta and I can tell she is terrified the entire walk and Emmett doesn't seem to be happy with the walks either.

So basically I'm asking if I'm pushing them too much. Am I doing more harm than good? Should the walks be shorter? Should I leave Keta at home and just take Emmett?

Keta is the all brindle and Emmett is the brindle and white.
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
If you have to drag them home, 1 mile is too far for them.
Especially if one has bad joints. She's likely in a good amount of pain.

I'd find a lake or pool deep enough for them to swim in.
It takes away the pressure their weight puts on their limbs but they can still be quite active in the water.

In larger cities you can typically find a pool just for dogs but they come with fee.
My 'local' dog pool costs 99$ per hour. burning_eyes
So I take my boy to a nearby lake. I get in the water with him and he plays with the logs that are out there and with floating toys. I keep him on a long line so I can reel him in if need be.

Ruthless Hellraiser

15,000 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I agree, swimming is a much better exercise for dogs with bad joints/bones.
What kind of food are they on? Something to help with the weight issues?
Do you have any kind of supplements for the one with the joint issues?
These dogs shouldn't even be taking typical walks on concrete in their condition. They are old, and so overweight it is hard to look at them. To put it in perspective they are probably caring 2-3x a healthy body weight. That would be like you walking around carrying an extra human or two when you are up there in your 60/70's. Does that sound like a fun walk to you? They need to drop some serious weight and if they haven't been to a vet recently they should be evaluated to see what sort of condition they are in and if they are suffering from bad enough pain they might need some pain management to get around comfortably. Swimming as some mentioned is a great way to exercise these dogs. You will need to get them good life vests beforehand though.

Thankfully they don't need long walks to loose weight. If they aren't steadily dropping weight on their current feeding plan that means they are getting too many calories.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
i cant really help since i am a fish person not a dog person, just wanted to say i love your username! super cute!

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
They each get a total of 6 cups of Rachael Ray Zero Grain dog food a day, which is recommended for their size on the bag. They get treats, but not a huge amount. They have both been to the vet somewhat recently (within the last year). The vet isn't overly concerned with their weight she said to just keep them active and she recommend Keta get a daily aspirin.

As for the swimming. I've never taken Emmett, but it's something he would possibly enjoy and I will definitely try that once it is warm. Keta I have taken to lakes, creeks, and our pool and she is terrified of the water. I've tried going in and calling her, I've had my son go in and call her, I've tried putting her in in hopes that she will enjoy it once she realized it won't hurt her, but as soon as her paw touches the water she is in panic mode. Advice?

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I think I might need to clear something up.. I'm never actually dragging them. When we start out they are by my side but as we progress they start falling farther behind. The leash is never tight with me having to pull them. It always stays loose they are just a couple feet behind me. Occasionally one of the leashes will go tight at which time I stop and turn around to check on whoever it is and normally coax them on.
6 cups is an awful lot! On 0grain my 50lb ate 2 1/2 and the 60lb ate 2 2/3.

How much do they weigh vs whats the ideal weight?
Pit Bull Kisses
I think I might need to clear something up.. I'm never actually dragging them. When we start out they are by my side but as we progress they start falling farther behind.

lmao they're dragging a**, you're not dragging them. One of mine does the same thing on our 3/4 mile stroll every day (I have chi mixes), she starts out all perky and walking a couple feet in front of me with my other dog, about halfway through she's walking even with me, and by the final stretch back to my place she's 2-3 feet behind me like "ehhhhhh I'm over this walking thing carry me back to my food dish". She's a stubborn a** too, so don't feel like Emmett is super exhausted and can't keep up, he's probably just starting to get tired and doesn't want to keep exerting himself. If he's been completing full miles this whole time and his only side effect is tiredness, keep making him walk them, it's good for him in the long run.

Does poor Keta have a toy or a blanket/etc she really likes? You could try taking that with and distracting her with it while she walks. Maybe take them both out with an item she really likes and see if you can just get them to walk up and down your street together while staying a little more calm than usual, if she plays along well then really ham it up with the praise and let her enjoy whatever item it is and then take her back inside so she sees that walks can be a fun short experience not just a long scary expedition. It might be easier for her if you start out with her and Emmett on these short walks and then put her back in the house and take just him for the full mile until she's a little more secure with herself.
What your dogs are currently eating is a lot of kcals.
By looking at the 3 flavors offered your dogs are either eating 1878 or 1956 kcals daily.

When you give treats you have to take food out.
Because that's adding more kcals.
If the only real bit of exercise they're gettting is that walk not much is being burned off.
The body is just storing everything.

As for the water, start small.
Kiddie pool. The small plastic ones at Walmart for like 8$.
Have her get in it with no water. Get some low kcal treats. (I like Train Me! treats at PetCo they just came out with grain free bag. 1/2 kcal.)
Then at like 1 inch. Have her get in or add it while she's in. Reward her for being in there with the water. Praise her. Yay water is good! You're amazing!
Add some more. Reward.
You might have to drain and add water lots of times.

If she's got a favorite toy - use it. I had to put a squeaker fur toy in the pool with me standing in the middle to get Ike in. He would hop in. Then hop out. But he in on his own. He started to see how nice it was.
- Just do not squirt her or splash her yourself. You'll find it'll set you back and you'll have to pause a few days.
Just go slow and be patient.

Eloquent Gawker

Pit Bull Kisses
They each get a total of 6 cups of Rachael Ray Zero Grain dog food a day, which is recommended for their size on the bag.

Well their current size is "morbidly obese" so why on earth would you want to continue to feed as recommended for that size?

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
11 Cardinal 11
6 cups is an awful lot! On 0grain my 50lb ate 2 1/2 and the 60lb ate 2 2/3.

How much do they weigh vs whats the ideal weight?

I could cut back on the amount I feed them. I don't think they would even notice. I was just going with what the bag recommends, but it's not like they are going to starve to death if they don't get that much.

Emmett weights 103 lbs. and Keta weights 78 lbs. I'm not sure what their ideal weights are. I've never discussed how much they should weigh with the vet and since they are mutts I don't have a breed guideline to base ideal weight off of.

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Rose of Lima
Pit Bull Kisses
I think I might need to clear something up.. I'm never actually dragging them. When we start out they are by my side but as we progress they start falling farther behind.

lmao they're dragging a**, you're not dragging them. One of mine does the same thing on our 3/4 mile stroll every day (I have chi mixes), she starts out all perky and walking a couple feet in front of me with my other dog, about halfway through she's walking even with me, and by the final stretch back to my place she's 2-3 feet behind me like "ehhhhhh I'm over this walking thing carry me back to my food dish". She's a stubborn a** too, so don't feel like Emmett is super exhausted and can't keep up, he's probably just starting to get tired and doesn't want to keep exerting himself. If he's been completing full miles this whole time and his only side effect is tiredness, keep making him walk them, it's good for him in the long run.

Does poor Keta have a toy or a blanket/etc she really likes? You could try taking that with and distracting her with it while she walks. Maybe take them both out with an item she really likes and see if you can just get them to walk up and down your street together while staying a little more calm than usual, if she plays along well then really ham it up with the praise and let her enjoy whatever item it is and then take her back inside so she sees that walks can be a fun short experience not just a long scary expedition. It might be easier for her if you start out with her and Emmett on these short walks and then put her back in the house and take just him for the full mile until she's a little more secure with herself.

She's never had any interest in toys really even when she was younger. I always buy them and then they just sit on the floor for months untouched. She has a blanket that goes on her bed, but I wouldn't say she is attached to it. I'll try it out though to see.

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Aerobe
What your dogs are currently eating is a lot of kcals.
By looking at the 3 flavors offered your dogs are either eating 1878 or 1956 kcals daily.

When you give treats you have to take food out.
Because that's adding more kcals.
If the only real bit of exercise they're gettting is that walk not much is being burned off.
The body is just storing everything.

As for the water, start small.
Kiddie pool. The small plastic ones at Walmart for like 8$.
Have her get in it with no water. Get some low kcal treats. (I like Train Me! treats at PetCo they just came out with grain free bag. 1/2 kcal.)
Then at like 1 inch. Have her get in or add it while she's in. Reward her for being in there with the water. Praise her. Yay water is good! You're amazing!
Add some more. Reward.
You might have to drain and add water lots of times.

If she's got a favorite toy - use it. I had to put a squeaker fur toy in the pool with me standing in the middle to get Ike in. He would hop in. Then hop out. But he in on his own. He started to see how nice it was.
- Just do not squirt her or splash her yourself. You'll find it'll set you back and you'll have to pause a few days.
Just go slow and be patient.

I have one of those little pools and she loves that as long as nothing spooks her. She just hates any kind of moving water (like the creek) or anything more than a few inches deep.
User Image

She doesn't like toys even the squeaky kind.

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Another thing I feel like I maybe should mention is they aren't food crazy. When I get up in the morning I throw 3 cups of food into each of their bowls. They don't immediately eat it. It normally sits in the bowl for a good portion of the day and they go eat some of it when they feel like it. Around 5ish it's normally gone or almost gone and I'll dump 3 more cups in. Again they don't eat it right away. It sits, they munch and by morning it's gone or almost gone and the cycle continues.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff