Do you think is bringing out the worst?

Yes 0.6283185840708 62.8% [ 71 ]
No/It's justified 0.17699115044248 17.7% [ 20 ]
I don't care either way 0.19469026548673 19.5% [ 22 ]
Total Votes:[ 113 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

I'm pretty sure everyone knows the story about TekTek being taken down, so I will not touch on that either further.

Now on to my main subject. I mostly lurk around the Site Feedback, but these past few days, it's been unbareable for me to even go in some threads. I try to see the point on both sides, but the Anti-Gaia side has been getting more hostile day by day. I'm not 100% satisfied with Gaia either, but, in my opinion, I think the Anti-Gaia side is taking things way too far. I've seen some people saying that they have reported Gaia to companies such as Nintendo and other companies where Gaia has made some homage items (most likely done because other Gaians requested them) - This excludes the sponsor items. Basically this whole thing started because in the letter to Tekton/Bluealaris' response mentions copyright infringement/usage of intullectual property.

I love this site, I want it to do better, but I don't think trying to take the site down is the way to go. Imagine if Gaia were to take away all the homage items, how many more Gaians will be angry because of that? "We" (in quotations because all of us) were the one to request these items, so how fair will that be.

However, I do understand why people are angry. TekTek has been with us for a very long time, and it is sad to see it go. I do wish an agreement will be made so that we get to continue using TekTek, but sadly, it looks like there will be no agreement. (I do beleive Tekton has a week and 5 days to respond. Who knows? Something might be done.)

This whole thing is making me see the worst in people and it's making me feel a tad bit uncomfortable. Most of these rages are misinformed and do not want to look at the other side and just continue to hate Gaia based on one side of the story. (Some of the Pro-Gaia people aren't any better either.)

I would like to hear you guys' side:

♦ Are you against what Gaia is doing, or do you side with Gaia? Why or why not?
♦ Do you think that reporting the homage items is the right way to go, or is it just a waste of time?
♦ What do you think will happen if Gaia was to get into legal trouble with these companies?
♦ Do you think the rage is justified, or are people going overboard?

Tiny Shapeshifter

Don't worry too much about SF. The extreme "anti-Gaia" peeps had built their forte there ever since the MC-rerelease, gold gens, and GC spam lingo. /fellow-SF-reg-here. lol

Mewling Kitten

I will make a couple points I've made elsewhere
regarding this issue:

* The people who didn't use Tektek, aren't
going to care. And the loud ones, likely will
tell the people who did use Tektek or
find it valuable, to shut up. Self-interest.

*I care about Tekek. I use Tektek. I want
Tektek's resources.

*I know Gaia will not make the same, or
improved resources available. It is simply
a destruction of a resource which is happening.

* Yes, Gaia has legal rights to do this. Absolutely
true. But does this mean it's right? To destroy
a resource for Gaians, simply because
someone else might be making money?
Gaia wants the money. And they are willing
to take something many Gaians used, because
they want the money, or at least do not want
Tektek to have the money. Userbase, etc.

* But does that make it right? Or, if Gaia
is not going to offer us the resources
Tektek has provided for over a decade...

Should they? Should they take it away? Or
perhaps, should they allow it to stay up, at
least until they can offer us the same thing?

Food for thought.

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

Yen Quest
Don't worry too much about SF. The extreme "anti-Gaia" peeps had built their forte there ever since the MC-rerelease, gold gens, and GC spam lingo. /fellow-SF-reg-here. lol

I used to pst there a lot, but I took a break from there. When I went back, it was just filled with a lot of angry people. I only post there when I see someone say something misinformed/makes no sense to me.

I need to make it a habit to frequent here again. The GCD is a lot more level-headed. sweatdrop
On the bright side at least now most people have moved on from the flag arguments. dramallama

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
The Belletrist

regarding this issue:

Tektek's resources.

Food for thought.

I keep seeing the money thing thrown about, and like Gaia deliberately took TekTek out-- They didn't destroy a resource for Gaians, Tekton chose to end it. That was his decision, as the owner, to make. This situation could have gone several different ways, but ultimately if one party decides it's not worth it, then they won't.

I would love for Gaia to make an alternative that was actually updated properly. That would be great.

I don't take sides with anyone or anything except the actual facts we can see. But I find it interesting people will trust whatever fits their narrative. If a person already hates Gaia, then it's likely they'll believe anything that would put it in a bad light.

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
Krissim Klaw
On the bright side at least now most people have moved on from the flag arguments. dramallama

Until you bring it up again. talk2hand

But seriously, that one still makes me kind of "...ugh".

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

The Belletrist

regarding this issue:

Tektek's resources.

Food for thought.

These are really good points to consider!

From what I see so far form both sides, Gaia is still waiting for a response from Tekton. It looks like Tekton is sticking to his guns and not responding back/keeping the site down. However, I think Gaia should atleast compensate.

I guess Gaia wants to see this from a business standpoint and don't really care/want to see it form a regular user view.

The new items are always updated in almost real time, so that's one advantage that Gaia has over TekTek. They should at least try to fix the tagging system first, and work it's way up to something similar or better than what TekTek had to offer.

Even though TekTek hasn't been properly updated for montths, I still use it to find items to complete an avatar. It's sad to see Gaia go, but, as I said before, the least Gaia could do is compensate.

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

Knight of Britannia
I keep seeing the money thing thrown about, and like Gaia deliberately took TekTek out-- They didn't destroy a resource for Gaians, Tekton chose to end it. That was his decision, as the owner, to make. This situation could have gone several different ways, but ultimately if one party decides it's not worth it, then they won't.

I would love for Gaia to make an alternative that was actually updated properly. That would be great.

I don't take sides with anyone or anything except the actual facts we can see. But I find it interesting people will trust whatever fits their narrative. If a person already hates Gaia, then it's likely they'll believe anything that would put it in a bad light.

This is also true.

I'm guessing since Tekton got the letter, they figured it wasn't worth keeping the site up. I mean, there was a lot of server issues lately and on top of that items have been coming in left and right. I believe one of his ex-helpers said that Tekton barely had anyone to update the site.

He chose to close the site without responding back. There isn't much we can do but hope that he contacts Gaia about their final decision.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Toppaware
I used to pst there a lot, but I took a break from there. When I went back, it was just filled with a lot of angry people. I only post there when I see someone say something misinformed/makes no sense to me.

I need to make it a habit to frequent here again. The GCD is a lot more level-headed. sweatdrop
Best ignore the toxicity of some people over there (loud ones) and pay attention to those who seems to be at least level-headed while providing constructive feedback. I usually just skim thread titles and check item suggestion threads when it comes to SF these days though. Sometime I drop by into one of those rage filled threads for drama-popcorn fun.

As for GCD, it's getting there. xD

Winniesaur's Wife

Pro OTP

I was upset when I first heard about Tektek, since it has been apart of Gaia life since practically the beginning. But I am over it now; I counted 9, NINE threads in the GCD regarding the tektek situation yesterday, and I'm sure more are to come.

About the "anti-gaia" people; I have no form of sympathy for their plight. If they are so fed up with the site, then leave. If they truly are "anti-gaia" then why are they still here? Most of those people just like the ability to complain and spear-head what they see as an online revolution. rolleyes If they truly were against gaia, they wouldn't spend their time on the site anymore. No, rather than being "anti-gaia", I think some of them are just seeking attention & aren't serious about their total dislike of this site -- they're just secretly hoping that Gaia will go back to how it used to be, and that's not possible. > o>;

As far as reporting the items to other companies...isn't there some law that allows the kind of thing that Gaia is doing as far as homage items? I really can't think of the name at the moment...I've had little sleep so I'm not recalling information very easily. xD But I could have sworn there was some law or something that's in Gaia's benefit...ugh brain, work!! :c

Everyone is gonna have their own level of "loyalty", as it will, towards tektek and its subsequent closing...I'm super sad to see it go. And I was angry when I first found out. But, I understand Gaia's reason. Gaia is a business & recolor.me has the potential, however small some may think it is, to become a competitor. Everyone starts out somewhere! But yes; people are going a tad bit overboard, imo. :c

Muscular Streaker

Both sides have terrible people in them, to be honest. I still try to read what both sides have to say when I have the chance, just to see if there are any new information spreading around about what really happened.

Although in contrast to your observation, I find the worst people in the pro-Gaia side to be more disgusting. Especially the ones who made threads just to tell the people expressing their disappointment to shut up and just accept what's going on, some even get to the point of saying that the other side is stupid for not siding with Gaia on what happened.

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
Yen Quest
Toppaware

Best ignore the toxicity of some people over there (loud ones) and pay attention to those who seems to be at least level-headed while providing constructive feedback. I usually just skim thread titles and check item suggestion threads when it comes to SF these days though. Sometime I drop by into one of those rage filled threads for drama-popcorn fun.

As for GCD, it's getting there. xD

I know there's at least one user in SF when I see their threads I have to force myself to click away, because I know reading it will just be EXTREMELY upsetting. And the people who are basically like "if you disagree with me then get out of my thread"-- like, seriously? emotion_facepalm

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

Moonsicle
As far as reporting the items to other companies...isn't there some law that allows the kind of thing that Gaia is doing as far as homage items? I really can't think of the name at the moment...I've had little sleep so I'm not recalling information very easily. xD But I could have sworn there was some law or something that's in Gaia's benefit...ugh brain, work!! :c

It's the Fair Use Act I think....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces